Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cree ZS-2…crazy bright/stupid cheap

Riddus · 14 · 3937

Offline Riddus

Cree ZS-2…crazy bright/stupid cheap
on: November 13, 2014, 02:15:33 AM
My uncle gave me the aforementioned flashlight recently and I love it. It was well used when he passed it along and now seems to be failing me a bit. Looking for a new one on eBay, you can buy them all day long at under $5 including shipping. My question is, why is it so cheap? All other comparable (single AA, 200-300 lumen, adjustable beam) lights I have found are $40+. What gives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

us Offline LoveHate

Re: Cree ZS-2…crazy bright/stupid cheap
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:55:59 AM
Do you have a link?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:59:12 AM
Just search for sipik clone.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:25:00 AM
It looks and feels like my Ultrafire Cree Q5... I just got a couple of those for under 5$...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 08:16:50 AM
They are cheap because it is a basic, simple design, the emitters used are a few years old, many companies seem to be making them, the electronics used are simple.
Usually a good clean solves all their problems.

There is really only one direct competitor (both use AA or LiIons, both cheap, both with a decent reputation) though it is less bright. It usually has no branding.
Shown on the left

You can see more in the link here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,35523.msg969333.html#msg969333
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:20:08 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Riddus

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:58 AM
Those on the right are the ones! I've done a little research, and most flashlight enthusiast don't care for the zoomy lens lights because they are dirt or water proof, but if you are looking for a bright, portable light on a budget, I would recommend them (just pick up a couple for spares).

Using Tapatalk

Offline Riddus

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 11:42:33 AM

They are cheap because it is a basic, simple design, the emitters used are a few years old, many companies seem to be making them, the electronics used are simple.
Usually a good clean solves all their problems.

There is really only one direct competitor (both use AA or LiIons, both cheap, both with a decent reputation) though it is less bright. It usually has no branding.
Shown on the left
(Image removed from quote.)

You can see more in the link here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,35523.msg969333.html#msg969333

How do you go about cleaning one?

Using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:58:35 AM
They come apart, in various pieces and you clean the contact areas, that is where current needs a path to go through. (Look through the thread I linked to get an idea)

These are the tube ends, the spring, the contact area on the pill etc.
Use some alcohol and maybe some contact spray. If you use lubricants on the contact areas make sure that they are not electrical insulators (silicone grease, for example, will not allow electricity through easily)
Sometimes the switch will need cleaning too (short circuiting/bypassing the switch will show you if the switch is the problem)

Many times if the problem is serious it will be cheaper to just get a new one  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Riddus

Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:17:25 PM
I plan on picking up a Nitecore EC20 to replace it, but I think I will try to clean it out and save it for back-up. Thanks.

Using Tapatalk

00 Offline sandyli310

• New User
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:31:39 AM
Red one looks great. Doing some research on it now!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 05:58:12 PM
Had to necro one of these to say that my black Sipik 68 Ultrafire after 1 day of pocket carry with the phone and powerbank lost all her paint on its side and the top unscrewed itself.. still works fine, but a bit underwhelmed by the finish...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:06:44 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 06:11:26 PM
shame... You can now paint them it in some fancy colour  :D

I am surprised as mine have been holding fine and some are a few years old..

I assume you were just unlucky. The ultraOk do seem better quality.

my Offline glowtrits

Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 07:08:44 AM
Those 3 pieces, are good for simple and normal uses, as I doubt they will hold up if they are submerge into water or expose to water element for a while.

I have the similar piece, on the left side (Black). Great and bright, with the pull out to zoom. No point to zoom, as the brightness reduces a lot, yet a decent piece to have in case you are left out in the dark.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 03:31:16 PM
Due to discussion on these, (I think it was originally dks that talked about them), I picked up two from Amazon, under $5 each.

For the price, I'm SUPER impressed. I haven't had them long enough to discuss durability, but function for the price is great, brightness is incredible, and they SEEM solidly built.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%