Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman juice screwdriver deployment injuries...

lshaw · 39 · 4246

au Offline lshaw

Leatherman juice screwdriver deployment injuries...
on: November 13, 2014, 10:42:31 AM
So after encountering the same phenomenon with my Leatherman Juice a few times now, I was curious to see if others had as well, or if I'm just 'doing it wrong'.

When I go to deploy the screwdrivers on my Leatherman juice S2, I use the nail nick and either forefinger or thumb nail to open. I find the tools stiff (it is a new-ish, well maintained tool) and then they suddenly open and my follow through drives them into the skin on my thumb or finger, resulting in a (albeit minor but inconvenient) cut as seen in the picture.

I can't actually see a way to deploy these easily without this happening. So I'll put it to the crowd to see if anyone else has found the same, or suggestions on technique.

Many thanks.
IMG_20141113_202217.jpg
* IMG_20141113_202217.jpg (Filesize: 141.52 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Leatherman juice screwdriver deployment injuries...
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:45:51 AM
I didn't have a problem but I bought my Juice heavily used, so the tools aren't stiff and perhaps they became a bit rounded through ecounters with screwheads. I suggest you do what the world experts (Victorinox) does. Add some lubricant and round the screwdriver edges with a Dremel, file, sandpaper.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:57:25 AM by kkokkolis »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:55:01 AM
This is a well known problem of the Jiuce line, at least the original one.

They all do it.

You just have to be carefull.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline GEARHEAD_ENG

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:52:50 PM
The trick is to use the side of your thumb nail, not the center. Once you learn that it'll never bite you again.

A little WD-40 will help smooth the pivot out, blow out the residue,  and add a drop of mineral oil.

us Offline APS

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 02:30:37 PM
Yep, come at it from the side similar to if you were opening a traditional pocket knife.  Grab the opening notch with the side of your thumb nail.  No skin in the way of the opening arch.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 03:50:12 PM
Yeah, a well known problem that one, and only one of the problems associated with that tool line. Probably the best trick in the book for not letting those drivers bite you, is don't buy or use a Leatherman Juice

:cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline GEARHEAD_ENG

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 03:55:44 PM
Other thing that can get you is the phillips impliment. I put my thumb on the back side of the pivot and opened the phillips taking a chunk out of the pad of my thumb. Didn't feel good.

This was user error just like the flat head bits into the cuticle.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 04:09:01 PM
Flat blade screwdrivers on the Juice CS4 cut my fingers before I gave it away.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 04:28:50 PM
That is the reason I no longer have either my S2 or CS4.  I was tired of getting bit!  Great tool on paper, but not so great in hand.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 04:40:24 PM
As GEARHEAD_ENG and APS said. Just use the side of your nail to open them.

I've had 3 or 4 models of Juice, and never been bit. I didn't even understand at first what people were going on about being 'bitten' by the Juice. Because, for whatever reason, I naturally went with the side-of-nail open method from the start.

Good luck, and hope the injuries heal quick and clean.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 07:12:11 PM
I don't like Juice. :td:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 07:17:39 PM
The trick is to use the side of your thumb nail, not the center. Once you learn that it'll never bite you again.

A little WD-40 will help smooth the pivot out, blow out the residue,  and add a drop of mineral oil.

This. ^^^^

Surprised no one mentioned the new juice line has addressed this issue.
I'm the milk man!

Offline GEARHEAD_ENG

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 07:36:00 PM
Thats true, seams like the old version left a bad taste in peoples mouths. I don't have any issues once I figure out how to stop the biting.

Truth is there really isn't anything in the juice size with the number of impliment options. 

us Offline gkramer63

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 07:41:22 PM
I've got a 2014 cs4 and haven't had this problem, I've read about it but haven't experienced it, never handled an original model to see the difference but they might have lightened up the detent or something on the newer models. That or I just haven't caught it the wrong way yet, I'm not sure.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 07:45:04 PM
I've got a 2014 cs4 and haven't had this problem, I've read about it but haven't experienced it, never handled an original model to see the difference but they might have lightened up the detent or something on the newer models. That or I just haven't caught it the wrong way yet, I'm not sure.

On the new model they moved all the nail nicks to the same position so you can deploy all the drivers at once and much more easily. The older models have the nail nicks staggered. The new line might have more depth to the nail nicks as well.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 07:47:08 PM
Here is a excellent comparison Chako did.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=51914.0
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline pingu

Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 09:00:33 PM
First of all in defence of all aspects of Juice except for its cost,  for me the format is an excellent urban EDC.    Pliers and a non locking blade.  That's it.  Taken both together a better format than SAK, though I've started rotating a EVO 18 into my urban carry and I confess I haven't (yet) needed pliers when not carried.

Never been attacked by the drivers.  I reckon users who fall foul are stuck in OHO mode, or rather OFingerO,  except the tools aren't OFO.

As it happens I use the side of the finger just enough to get the thumb under the tool.  So two stages.  Works for me and seems perfectly natural and effective.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 09:12:51 PM
First of all in defence of all aspects of Juice except for its cost,  for me the format is an excellent urban EDC.   

I would agree with this 100%  :cheers:

I do have my issues with the price and quality of the tools, but as a concept it's fantastic ... yet one that companies seem shy of emulating. The nearest I suppose would be the slightly larger Gerber Balance (which I personally prefer), but I can't think of any other attempts to directly challenge one of LM's most successful and long running tool lines

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 12:13:10 AM
I'm a bit "on the fence" about the Juice line.  It could be so much more than it is.
Generally they are handy little light duty tools, but there are a few annoying aspects that make them just miss the mark.

Every single model that I've seen is uneven thickness between the two handles...
WTH Leatherman :think: it was too hard to put the same thickness of tools in each side???

If I had the parts or a beater to pull apart, I would remove the stupid opener from my S2 and at least that problem wouldn't be pinging my OCD every time I pick it up.

Of the three Juices I own I would (reservedly) recommend the S2, NOT recommend the C2 (corkscrew is a waste of space and makes it uncomfortable in the pocket) and as far as the CS4 goes... it might be handy to keep in a desk drawer but if you're putting that size and weight in your pocket,  you might as well step up to a real multi with decent tools and get PST2 or an original Wave.

[/rant]  ::)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 12:27:33 AM
I've never been bitten by my Juices.I use my fingernail to open the drivers and I've had no issues.

I just tried it with my thumb nail and I now understand what you're talking about.

I will continue to use my finger nail.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 01:32:07 AM
As CedricAda said quite aptly on a YT overview of his LM collection of the Juice: "If these drivers were people, they'd all be smurfs and nobody would want to be friends with them!"  :rofl:
Funny cause it's true...
I over torqued the large flat driver on my version 1 XE6 and twisted it. None of the drivers come out now without the use of some prying tool such as a key.  :facepalm:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 01:34:55 AM
Read Smurfs as w.a.n.k.e.r.s. Guess all "swear words" get automatically changed here!  ;)

au Offline lshaw

Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 11:35:07 AM
Maybe it would be great if Victorinox made something using a similar platform. Imagine the quality! (and aesthetics...and lack of deployment injuries...)  :climber:

us Offline afinitaln

Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 12:37:05 PM
I think with use and some wear and proper oiling, the bits will loosen up, your cuticles will toughen up and you won't complain about it anymore. I have the s2 (all orange) when I got it the first thing I did was open those bits up and sprayed them with WD 40 and open and deploy them excessively. Now they are perfect with no issues whatsoever.

It's like when you buy a new car, there are no rattles and everything is all tight. after some time, things loosen up and you start hearing the rattling and squeaking.

Never had a new car,  well apply as the same logic with new girlfriend or new wife.

It's like when you meet a (new girl) or (get married), there are no rattles and everything is all tight. After some time, things loosen up and you start hearing the rattling and squeaking.

Well if you never had either, you have been warned!

us Offline Act2uToo

Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 05:12:22 PM
Suppose I want a MT that's smaller than a Wave but bigger than a PS4?  What do I have to choose from?  Not much.  That's why I carry a Juice. 

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:42 PM
Suppose I want a MT that's smaller than a Wave but bigger than a PS4?  What do I have to choose from?  Not much.  That's why I carry a Juice.
>:D try Skeletool?
Stronger pilers , Better drivers, excellent knife and way Handsomer! And it won't bite.
But no scissors.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:01:29 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline pingu

Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 06:04:21 PM

>:D try Skeletool?...

But no scissors.

The blade locks, so not EDC for me.  And no scissors :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:06:06 PM by pingu »

Offline Philthy

Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 11:19:59 PM
When opening a Juice I have given myself papercut sized cuts...OP that's a serious little cut you got there.

us Offline Neko2

• I have too many and not enough.
Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 05:51:24 AM
I'm glad I finally saw a picture because I too had no idea what folks were talking about. I guess I just naturally come at it sideways.
I've carried a juice pro for nearly 20 years and it has yet to be replaced. Lots of other tools tried but that's the one that sticks around.
I like the size to tool ratio and I like that the juice sheath rides low and that it's short enough to stay out of the way when I'm bending over or reaching.

I can say that ive been pinched pretty good when I overdid the force on a screw and it closed on me but other than using it wrong it's been solid.

Oh and I tried the new xe6 and I'm not a fan. I'm sure if I had an older xe6 and not the pro it'd be closer but the weird new short knives and the missing foil cutter just didn't do it for me.
I had to replace the original one I had this year after a hard life of overuse I'd managed to  torque the drivers and misalign the pliers but it still got the job done.  Liked it so much I found the same model on ebay to replace it.

As crazy as it sounds, I've had more trouble with SAKs closing on me and biting but I guess that's why we have so many choices. :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 05:39:37 PM
I can't count the number of times this has happened to me.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%