Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is it really $55 better?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Is it really $55 better?
on: November 13, 2014, 05:07:18 PM
So I really like the Cybertool 41. The bit driver with a number bits sized for stuff I use takes it over top of the SC for me.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but it seems the CT 41 is like $55 more then the Swisschamp. I am just not sure the bit driver and light are worth that much to me.

Also wondering why it is so much more. Supply and demand I guess.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Is it really $55 better?
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:15:50 PM
First, just a heads up, CT41 don't have a light.
Yes they are pricey. Lucky I got mine when they first come out. Got mine for $60. Is it worth it, that depends on the person. I much as I love them, I would not buy one now for what they are running. Nothing against or wrong with them. Hell, I was pushing them back in the SOSAK days and again when I came here. It is just a lot of money for a SAK with a bitdriver.
As to why they cost so much, I have no idea why.
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:19:14 PM
I think it's no longer being offered for the US market so that might be the reason for the higher US price. They are readily available in Europe and I can get a CT41 for about $89 and the Champ for $64 straight from the dealer. So just a $25 difference.

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 05:32:58 PM
So I really like the Cybertool 41. The bit driver with a number bits sized for stuff I use takes it over top of the SC for me.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but it seems the CT 41 is like $55 more then the Swisschamp. I am just not sure the bit driver and light are worth that much to me.

Listen carefully: You want a XLT!  :D

XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT.
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 05:35:23 PM
YES!

NO :rant:

What are we talking about?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 05:40:11 PM

Listen carefully: You want a XLT!  :D

XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT. XLT.

:rofl:

Oh no I meant to be talking about the CT Lite. I want the one with the light.

Just not feeling the $116 price tag.

YES!

NO :rant:

What are we talking about?

:facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 06:13:37 PM
a CT 41 is worth spending extra over the cost of a Swisschamp ... but no, the light is not worth paying for. I have a Voyager Lite, and I'll not be buying any more 91mm SAK with lights  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 06:15:29 PM
a CT 41 is worth spending extra over the cost of a Swisschamp ... but no, the light is not worth paying for. I have a Voyager Lite, and I'll not be buying any more 91mm SAK with lights  ;)

Not very bright?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 06:17:22 PM

This is correct.  The SAK lights are just too weak and take a relatively spendy battery.  The CT41 is my EDC.  Just so handy.  US pricing is reflecting the scarcity of them in the US.  I bought mine for $45 years ago.  Same price as the SwissChamp at the time.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 06:29:01 PM
Yes, forgo the SAK lighted models. The light is anemic at best. The older ones were even worse with their dim red light.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 06:36:08 PM
Yes, forgo the SAK lighted models. The light is anemic at best. The older ones were even worse with their dim red light.

Did Chako just tell someone NOT to buy a SAK?  :ahhh :ahhh

On a serious note I guess it is time to start saving for a XLT. Unless you have a extra CT 41 laying around somewhere Chako?

Seems I am stuck with the Fish Scaler and Corkscrew. :rant:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 06:40:07 PM

On a serious note I guess it is time to start saving for a XLT. Unless you have a extra CT 41 laying around somewhere Chako?

Hey Chako, do you by chance have two CT 41's laying around! LOL  I have a CT Lite I could trade ya! :)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 06:43:03 PM

Hey Chako, do you by chance have two CT 41's laying around! LOL  I have a CT Lite I could trade ya! :)

:rofl: :rofl:

So what is the second hand market for CT 41's like? Might have to keep an eye out.

I am just nervous to look on the For Sale part of MTO. Never good for my wallet.  :facepalm:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 06:45:08 PM
I think it's no longer being offered for the US market so that might be the reason for the higher US price. They are readily available in Europe and I can get a CT41 for about $89 and the Champ for $64 straight from the dealer. So just a $25 difference.
Makes sence. Sucks though, it is one of the best SAKs made besides the Supertimer. Glad I get mine before they got super expensive and have the thick blades.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 06:56:20 PM
The bits for the CT 41, are they proprietary or regular screwdriver bits?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:59 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

So what is the second hand market for CT 41's like? Might have to keep an eye out.

I am just nervous to look on the For Sale part of MTO. Never good for my wallet.  :facepalm:

I look around every now and then but never see much.  Maybe there out there and my timing sucks but hard to find!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 07:16:44 PM

Yes and no.  The Vic bits have a small retaining ball.  They are a standard 4mm microdrive bit, but most of the time, the microbits do not have the retention ball.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 07:20:45 PM

Yes and no.  The Vic bits have a small retaining ball.  They are a standard 4mm microdrive bit, but most of the time, the microbits do not have the retention ball.

So microbits and the bits from regular screwdrivers like you use in a drill are different?

I have a little extension Joel made for my Wave that takes regular bits. Like the kind I have seen everywhere my whole life.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 07:25:56 PM

So microbits and the bits from regular screwdrivers like you use in a drill are different?

I have a little extension Joel made for my Wave that takes regular bits. Like the kind I have seen everywhere my whole life.

Regular bits are 1/4 inch drive.  Microbits are 4mm.  Home Depot and Lowes carry microbit sets now, if you look at them, you'll see they're much thinner.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 07:39:19 PM
Just got my CT41 today. Love it. Trust me, you want one :D.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 07:43:05 PM
Ok so what I am looking for is #1 and #0 phillips with 1/4 in drive then. Whia has some and I am betting Home Depot or Lowes might also. Will have to check when I get home since I wont need them until then anyhow.

Just got my CT41 today. Love it. Trust me, you want one :D.

:twak:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 07:48:37 PM
I don't have a CT41, but I have two CT34s. Both are second hand and between the two I have a full set of the Vic' bits for one.

For the other I bought a 4mm microbit screwdriver set that came with a dozen or so bits for about the price of a couple of genuine bits.

Sure, they don't come with the retaining ball to hold them into the driver, but I have some 3mm diameter rare earth magnets and put one of them in the bit holder and it works fine. Also glued one in each slot in the bit caddy and that keeps them in place too.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 08:28:02 PM
I have a CT29, a pair of CT34s, and the CT41. I do not have the lite version. I also have an XLT, XXLT, and XAVT. Sorry nothing for sale or trade here.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 08:32:55 PM
You for sure dont want the Vic light on a SAK at all.  Its awful dim, awfully designed, awfully constructed out of fragile plastic. :D

CT41 is worth paying for yes!  They are harder to come by now though.   I actually dont fine the CT driver great, but its good.  I only use the phillips so it feels a bit of a waste for me.  If you can get by with the standard phillips vs the CT driver, the swisschamp is a great deal.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:18 PM
Just buy one, you are Hooked anyways. Take a photo of your tools now, then take one 6 months from now, these enablers will have you all stocked up.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 09:16:25 PM

Don't dis the Fish Scaler :twak: It's awesome for eating fries or olives!

But feel free to rag on the corkscrew >:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 09:29:33 PM
I've had both a CT41 and Swiss Champ and find them too big.  Vic pliers and the CT layer aren't useful for anything I do - too small and fiddly.  The bit driver does have good reach but really ought to be 1/4" for a better selection of tools.  A Ranger + magnifier/phillips or perhaps an old Modeler would be enough for me.  Or my Wenger Toolchest. 8)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 02:57:27 AM

Eating fries? Lke a fork or something?  :think:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 03:03:51 AM

Eating fries? Lke a fork or something?  :think:

Ya and backups are important!   :whistle:

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 03:18:19 AM
I scored a CT lite thinking it would be my perfect SAK and was sadly disappointed with the light.  Very very dull at best, think Maglite Solitaire on weak batteries.

The CT 41 I scored on fleabay marked as a Swisschamp.  It is a great SAK but the Swisschamp for me is just to good to shelf.  I don't really need the 4mm bits so no need to carry it and it go unused.  I am attracted to the XLT but cost wise not so much. 

I wanted to collect an example of each CT and am thankful to have them but my Swisschamp is king to me.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD