Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco's Idea Of A Bushcraft Knife.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Spyderco's Idea Of A Bushcraft Knife.
on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:16 PM
This is Spyercos description of this knife:

Very well made, medium sized fixed blade with a spectacular handle. Each piece of wood is unique and shows spectacular displays of grain and color. It is stabilized but should be kept oiled. The blades are satin finish. The leather belt sheath is well made with thick, saddle leather and metal rivets. The knife sits down low in the sheath. The blade grind is called a Scandi grind with a single bevel grind, wide and flat. The O-1 steel is a very hard tool steel and is not stainless. It was chosen for its edge retention and easy sharpening ability.

The Spyderco Bushcraft knife patter was created with outdoor use in mind. Spyderco fixed blades, just like their folders are fabricated using high tech materials, attention to ergonomic comfort and cutting safety as primary focus.

Spyderco's version of a Bushcraft knife is a result of a collaboration between Tactical Bushcrafter Chris Claycombe and Spyderco designers
DSCN1678-1.jpg
* DSCN1678-1.jpg (Filesize: 179.82 KB)
DSCN1676-1.jpg
* DSCN1676-1.jpg (Filesize: 193.5 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Spyderco's Idea Of A Bushcraft Knife.
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:08:01 PM
I wonder how many will be used in the capacity for which they were made?  It sure is nice looking. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 06:16:17 PM
I wonder how many will be used in the capacity for which they were made?  It sure is nice looking.

That's a good question.I've never used mine.I have so many knives that it's almost impossible to choose what to carry in any outdoor situation.I bought this particular knife because it was unique for Spyderco and was a limited production model.

Having said that,I don't doubt that this particular knife is fully capable of performing the chores necessary for a bushcraft knife.

Spydercos choice of O1 tool steel does engender concerns concerning rust,although it will hold an edge really well.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 06:22:30 PM
For strictly collecting purposes you could do worse  ;).  I dig the look and I bet that knife would do wonderful in the field.  I especially like the wood handles, gorgeous.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 06:35:01 PM
For strictly collecting purposes you could do worse  ;).  I dig the look and I bet that knife would do wonderful in the field.  I especially like the wood handles, gorgeous.   

Yes the handle material is beautiful and unique,it's spalted maple.

The scandi grind also serves well for batoning as it is ground more like an ax than most knives.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 02:12:37 AM
I have one of the G10 handled O1 steel models. It's nice enough in hand but a little thick for my tastes. Never did understand the obsession with thick bladed woods knives.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 03:56:41 AM
A think bladed knife is great for heavy wood crafting and heavy choirs. Thin blades are nice for fine wood crafting, skinning and so on.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 04:04:23 AM
Probably going for the tank of a blade approach. Make it indestructible so it will last forever despite its intended uses.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline batosai117

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 11:28:23 AM
It's a beautiful looking blade but I recall when these first came out a while back the wood wasn't stabilized and several users reported handle breaks. Spyderco fixed any returns but noted that the company that made the handles for them messed up the order.

Sent from my electronic multi-tool.
Texas Peace Officer
EDC: Victorinox Safari Trooper & Ruger LC9
Go Outside we'll be here when you return :)

00 Offline cool123

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 11:47:22 AM

Very well made, medium sized fixed blade with a spectacular handle. Each piece of wood is unique and shows spectacular displays of grain and color. It is stabilized but should be kept oiled. The blades are satin finish. The leather belt sheath is well made with thick, saddle leather and metal rivets. The knife sits down low in the sheath. The blade grind is called a Scandi grind with a single bevel grind, wide and flat. The O-1 steel is a very hard tool steel and is not stainless. It was chosen for its edge retention and easy sharpening ability.

The Spyderco Bushcraft knife patter was created with outdoor use in mind. Spyderco fixed blades, just like their folders are fabricated using high tech materials, attention to ergonomic comfort and cutting safety as primary focus.

Spyderco's version of a Bushcraft knife is a result of a collaboration between Tactical Bushcrafter Chris Claycombe and Spyderco designers

Its a beautiful piece of fixed blade knife which can be used as self defence knives as well. Can it be used as neck knife also?
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 06:32:41 PM

Its a beautiful piece of fixed blade knife which can be used as self defence knives as well. Can it be used as neck knife also?

I beg to differ--if self defense mean any pointy object, then maybe a yes.  But bushcraft knives like this one are definitely not catered for 'combat', it doesn't even have finger guard, and the handle usually are smooth in case of hot spot after long hours of use(vs the most 'combat' knife where the handle are usually gripper)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 03:42:15 PM
....oh man....that dang Spyderco Hole.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69