Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The SOG PowerDuo.

Chako · 24 · 8272

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The SOG PowerDuo.
on: November 16, 2014, 01:37:25 AM
I was looking at my collection as I am wont to do from time to time, when I spied my pair of SOG PowerDuos. I find these a bit fascinating, and to be honest, they have a bit of sentimentality tied to them. See, when I chipped in my funds for the MT.O buyout, it was soon thereafter that I had left this web site for a years absence. Because of this, the late Travis did his best to keep me updated on the program (which I much appreciated). Thus I got these in the mail while in self imposed exile. Because of this, I wasn't aware of all the quality issues others were having with their copies. Mine exhibit the same cracks in the same places, and my photos will illustrate this. However, even though I was a bit disappointed, I never did return them...being the sentimental old fool that I am. I kept them. So my copies are some of the first off the press if you will back in 2012. Looks like quality issues still plague the tool (from what I can see) which is a shame, as the design is very SOG.

So this will not be a review. I understand there are some real good ones to be found in here. No, this will be a photo gallery of a neat tool.

I did have some interference on the photography. My two assistants wouldn't leave me alone...they just wanted to help.

Time for some photos.

At the time, I opted for one of each colour. Nice thing about these, the black painted version went all out with blacked out tools and all.

The PowerDuo looks eerily like a slightly larger Victorinox 111mm knife when closed. SOG went the extra mile to include a Victorinox like toothpick and tweezers.

The clear version really shows the hairline cracks something fierce. On the other hand, you do get this SOG logo in relief on the underside of the see through scales.

Of course, SOG always makes sure their tools are well marked.

And here is the problem area for many SOG PowerDuos. Looks like they tightened that screw a little too much and cracked the scales. At least mine doesn't have lifted scales. That would have been a deal breaker right there.

There are a lot of nice design touches throughout the SOG PowerDuo. It is a tool that requires a lot of eyeing.

Unfortunately, SOG used these little sliding buttons for the unlocking mechanism for the secondary folding tools.

Being a SOG, you get the gears.

The clear scaled version shows all the hairline cracks. I am happy to say, the black version doesn't by virtue that you can't see them. Likewise, the markings are done in a nice contrasting white.

The blade, which is of a good size, is a lockback design. No liner locks here.

The blade is nice and sharp. I have no issues with it at all.

The PowerDuo is a neat design. You will either love it or hate it. Personally, it reminds me of a Jeep tool I have where the knife blade is the main focus, with a pair of folded pliers tacked on for good measure. The see through scales are sharp...if they didn't show you the little cracks.

Here we see the toothpick and tweezers half pulled out. You can tell that the cutouts made this section a little too thine and thus cracked when that screw was tightened.

Here are the pliers in black. A little sexier if that is possible.

The all black version looks the business.

A close up of the secondary folding tools stowed away. Note the small sliding button that unlocks them. This button is a bit fiddly, and depending on circumstances, appears to require a lot of force to push it all the way to unlock the selected tool.

And that concludes this short visual tour of the SOG PowerDuo. I do like the design, but then, I was always a fan of the older SOG Switch Plier and Toolclip. Not so much the lack in quality control in the scale material. I think SOG did learn that a clear scaled multi-tool should not have imperfections that are easily seen.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:10:08 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The SOG PowerDuo.
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 02:00:45 AM
I am very thankful that you share with us.  :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 02:09:31 AM
 :salute:  :)

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 03:38:54 AM
Sort of a moot point, but could other scales be made for these? Be pretty cool to slap some nice dark wood on the side for contrast.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:19:20 AM
 :twak: :twak: Chako
Now you've gone and made me realise I have to have one too!  :facepalm:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 02:09:39 PM
All part of the evil plan my friend.  >:D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 02:56:14 PM
You know that I am a fan of your pics and your generosity to share them with such constistency.their great
But this time I have to add that I love those cats and that the PowerDuo is the only SOG that would fit my arsenal since it has their specialty geared pliers, a nice blade and just a few of their Victorinox like other tools that are reduntant with all those SAKs around.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 09:00:49 PM
I bought a Clear one few months back, liked the design but the cracks in clear scales pissed me off so bad I returned it within five minutes of purchase.

When they fixed the QC issue, I will buy one again.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 11:33:03 PM
The design I think is novel and intriguing 9/10.  The execution is so bad it makes me SAD it's a SOG. (2/10).  Victorinox is my favorite tool company, and SOG is second, but a tool like this doenst help.   The blade, frame and plier head dont look too bad though.  It almost makes me want to get one, rip it apart and put on Ti scales and standard SOG components.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 11:35:56 PM
Imagine a pair of wooden scales for it?  :drool:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 05:55:02 AM
I bought a new BO powerduo tonight.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:03:51 AM by Kampfer »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 06:52:56 PM
Hey Kampfer

I'm eager to know what you make of it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:56:58 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 03:44:46 AM
I kind of like the look of this tool, but SOG hasn't exactly strongly impressed me with anything beyond its pliers. Maybe focussing on pliers and blade would actually improve my opinion of it.

All this talk of wooden scales. Screw that. CARBON FIBER!!!  :drool:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 10:09:57 PM
After examining half dozen of PowerDuo in a store, I was able to hand picked a "better" one out of them.
I like stainless steel tools, but the clear plastic scales are CUBAR "cracked up beyond all recognition" on all specimen, so I picked up a BO version of it solely for the black scales.

Out of boxes these tools have a few issues, nothing major but need some TLC.
Pivot screws are loose, blades are reasonably sharp but have lots play, implements don't lock up, a pin (through the implements spacers) moves freely left and right and could stuck the blade.

I took the tools apart, tinker and adjust every pin, every washers, put back together one with everything works as they shall. Let me introduce to you my "Black Grip" edition of PowerDuo. Visually I am happy with it and it earned a spot in my collection.

Wish I can tell you more but I am in the middle of Skeletool challenge so I can not put it to real use yet. More to come.
IMG_2732.JPG
* IMG_2732.JPG (Filesize: 173.42 KB)
IMG_2734.JPG
* IMG_2734.JPG (Filesize: 115.04 KB)
IMG_2735.JPG
* IMG_2735.JPG (Filesize: 127.22 KB)
IMG_2736.JPG
* IMG_2736.JPG (Filesize: 146.82 KB)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 10:10:53 PM
A few more pictures.
IMG_2738.JPG
* IMG_2738.JPG (Filesize: 107.98 KB)
IMG_2737.JPG
* IMG_2737.JPG (Filesize: 130.54 KB)
IMG_2739.JPG
* IMG_2739.JPG (Filesize: 127.28 KB)
IMG_2740.JPG
* IMG_2740.JPG (Filesize: 112.31 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 03:43:31 AM
 :tu:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 04:42:35 AM
From looking at the thing, Powerduo's strength (good size pliers head, nice big knife) is also its biggest weakness (big and heavy, lack of carrying options).

Base on its tool loadout Powerduo is a minimalist multitool.
Base on its size (1 inch thick) and weight (6.3oz), Powerduo is a full size multitool.

Not sure there are many minimalist like to sheath carry a full size multitool with only few functions..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:04:16 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 04:45:17 AM
From looking at the thing, Powerduo's strength (good size pliers head, nice big knife) is also its biggest weakness (size & weight, lack of carrying options).

Base on its size (1 inch thick) and weight (6.3oz), Powerduo is a full size multitool.

Not sure there are many minimalist like to sheath carry a full size multitool with only few functions..

Do the tools that are there work well? Never used any SOG.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 04:48:57 AM
From looking at the thing, Powerduo's strength (good size pliers head, nice big knife) is also its biggest weakness (size & weight, lack of carrying options).

I am new to SOG as well, and I can not test them becuase I am in the middle of a challenge.
By visual inspection I am sure the knife and pliers will work VERY well, can't speak for the rest however.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 04:50:59 AM

I am new to SOG as well, and I can not test them becuase I am in the middle of a challenge.
By visual inspection I am sure the knife and pliers will work VERY well, can't speak for the rest however.
Well I look forward to hearing your thoughts

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 10:21:30 PM
Reviving a zombie thread, sorry, but I just bought a clear Power Duo last Friday night and it has the cracked scales right out of the packaging.  I can find no date codes but the copyright date on the package insert says 2012.  This must be one of the early models that languished on a shelf for the last 4 years.  In that time has SOG come up with a fix for this?  Should I send it back to them and/or ask for new scales, or should I just use it as is?

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 11:28:33 PM
I've got an old one with cracked scales too.  Not sure if it's worth sending it back just to get another one with the same problems.  I spent hours one night disassembling it and smoothing the parts so it didn't feel like it had grit inside.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 05:21:27 PM
I been seeing the "black grip" edition available in store for a while now.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 10:36:46 PM
if I complain about the clear grips maybe they will send me the black ones.  They don't seem to have the problem and if they do at least it doesn't show.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%