Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Android 5 Lollipop

Whoey · 103 · 7804

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Android 5 Lollipop
Reply #60 on: January 24, 2015, 01:03:45 AM
Don't they have a wap based stream? So you can listen to it in the browser.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #61 on: January 24, 2015, 01:20:58 AM
is the Tunein radio app any better? I'm pretty sure they cover all types of music...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #62 on: January 24, 2015, 01:41:38 AM
A lot of complaints about app freezing since Android 5.0.  Maybe radios are having trouble in general

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: January 26, 2015, 07:14:02 PM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.lite&hl=en

interesting... sadly incompatible with all my devices...  :think:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: January 26, 2015, 08:39:05 PM
I'm starting to think the problem of freezing is related to Wifi.  Going from Wifi network #1, then to no coverage, then to Wifi network #2, is when things start freezing. 

When I go to airplane mode, then power off the unit, then move, power up and turn on wifi again, there doesn't seem to be a problem.  (all the old apps back). 

I'm testing this for the next few days, but have a good feeling about it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: January 31, 2015, 12:46:04 PM
I've just tried this:

http://9to5google.com/2014/11/19/2012-edition-nexus-7-running-slow-after-installing-lollipop-this-might-help/

I'll let you know how/if it works.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: January 31, 2015, 03:29:09 PM
I've just tried this:

http://9to5google.com/2014/11/19/2012-edition-nexus-7-running-slow-after-installing-lollipop-this-might-help/

Def

use the comment http://9to5google.com/2014/11/19/2012-edition-nexus-7-running-slow-after-installing-lollipop-this-might-help/#comment-40117
Here’s how I sped up my LOLLIPOPed Nexus 7 2012. (From now on let’s all use “lollipop” as a verb that means screwed-over by an update). These steps are all easy to do and reversible.

Settings > About tablet > tap on the “Build number” entry seven times, which will unlock “Developer Options”.
Settings > Developer options > Set WINDOW ANIMATION SCALE, TRANSITION ANIMATION SCALE and ANIMATOR DURATION SCALE all to ANIMATION OFF
Settings > Developer Options > Background process limit > at most 3 processes

My tablet now goes fast enough to keep me sane until it is (hopefully) fixed with updates.

This worked before, significantly better than cache clearing of the original post.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: January 31, 2015, 04:12:56 PM
So I posted my theory over at Google product forums.  Many there poo-poo'ed it and said that it was just the process of turning off the N7 that was clearing memory.

To test that, I opened the Developer's option tab (hidden from most, you have to activate it) and started following Process Stats.  Any time the memory did not read in the normal range, I cleared the cache of the biggest memory hogs and forced close.  I did NOT go to airplane mode and did not power off.  In theory, I should have been releasing RAM when I did this.

In 2 days, I had my first freeze and restart.  Doing my method of Airplane Mode and power off, I had gone 8 days without a problem (and the last 2 of those showed NO instance of memory out of the Normal range on Process Stats).

It is my opinion that some combination of apps is draining and consuming RAM with update checks, updates, push notifications, synching of calendars, contacts, images, email etc and that when someone changes wifi networks, some of these processes miss the change and bog down in a loop of waiting or retrying, which eats up the RAM.

Of course, I have no way to prove this, but I will say my method has returned my N7 to an enjoyable tablet again (although I do have to power up twice a day).

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: January 31, 2015, 06:26:00 PM
So I posted my theory over at Google product forums.  Many there poo-poo'ed it and said that it was just the process of turning off the N7 that was clearing memory.

To test that, I opened the Developer's option tab (hidden from most, you have to activate it) and started following Process Stats.  Any time the memory did not read in the normal range, I cleared the cache of the biggest memory hogs and forced close.  I did NOT go to airplane mode and did not power off.  In theory, I should have been releasing RAM when I did this.

In 2 days, I had my first freeze and restart.  Doing my method of Airplane Mode and power off, I had gone 8 days without a problem (and the last 2 of those showed NO instance of memory out of the Normal range on Process Stats).

It is my opinion that some combination of apps is draining and consuming RAM with update checks, updates, push notifications, synching of calendars, contacts, images, email etc and that when someone changes wifi networks, some of these processes miss the change and bog down in a loop of waiting or retrying, which eats up the RAM.

Of course, I have no way to prove this, but I will say my method has returned my N7 to an enjoyable tablet again (although I do have to power up twice a day).

See my previous comment, disable those animations, and set a process limit in the developer options. I find my n7 to be a totally different machine set that way, and honestly it's not eye candy I miss at all. Function > Looks.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: January 31, 2015, 09:52:57 PM
My wife has had the same issues with her Nexus.  I've just tried Whoey's suggestion and, as far as I can tell, it seems to have helped.  However I'll let her play with it and report back. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: January 31, 2015, 10:23:46 PM
Let me say, I am having no lagging issues at all.  That went away after the factory reset.  In my case, the screen would immediately freeze.  No warning.  Just freeze and would require a reboot.  That has been completely ended by Airplane mode, then power off before leaving one wifi network and going to another.

Just did another test.  Opened Classical music player, UC browser and HBO-Go.  All were running simultaneously.  Memory went from moderate to running low.  I went into airplane mode and instantly went back to Memory Normal.

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #71 on: January 31, 2015, 10:32:38 PM
I have a Galaxy S5 and have just downloaded lollipop. however when my phone is locked instead of it showing my notifications it now says vodaphone es does anyone know how to solve this?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: January 31, 2015, 10:34:51 PM
Don't know but in Settings there are options for the lockscreen

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: February 01, 2015, 01:00:27 PM
I've just tried this:

Def

use the comment http://9to5google.com/2014/11/19/2012-edition-nexus-7-running-slow-after-installing-lollipop-this-might-help/#comment-40117
Here’s how I sped up my LOLLIPOPed Nexus 7 2012. (From now on let’s all use “lollipop” as a verb that means screwed-over by an update). These steps are all easy to do and reversible.

Settings > About tablet > tap on the “Build number” entry seven times, which will unlock “Developer Options”.
Settings > Developer options > Set WINDOW ANIMATION SCALE, TRANSITION ANIMATION SCALE and ANIMATOR DURATION SCALE all to ANIMATION OFF
Settings > Developer Options > Background process limit > at most 3 processes

My tablet now goes fast enough to keep me sane until it is (hopefully) fixed with updates.

This worked before, significantly better than cache clearing of the original post.

The cache cleaning made things a little better but it still wasn't "there" yet.  I have now tried turning off the animations and limiting the background processes.  I'll let you know my results in a day or two after I have had a chance to really try it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: February 14, 2015, 12:32:48 PM
As is just about usual for me, I finally got my N7 to where it was working quite nicely, and now it's toast.  I had removed the animations, done a factory reset and stripped a few apps that I didn't absolutely need and while it didn't necessarily run like a new device, I had beaten most of the lagging issues.

Then it got wet despite the Otterbox Defender case and now it's totally bricked.

Now I need to figure out what new tablet to buy as I'm somewhat lost without it.

Def

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #75 on: February 14, 2015, 01:01:22 PM
Did you use it as a cutting board again and accidentally put it in the dish washer?

>:D

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: February 14, 2015, 02:01:48 PM
Well that's a damn shame boss. :-\  I gotta say that I've been happy with my Linx 8 Windows based tablet.  There's not the plethora of apps available that you'd find on android based tablets, but I've also never been stuck for finding something that works for me either.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #77 on: February 14, 2015, 02:06:56 PM
Put it in a bag of rice for a day, might work.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: February 14, 2015, 02:11:23 PM
Put it in a bag of rice for a day, might work.

Did that.  Still toast.

Did you use it as a cutting board again and accidentally put it in the dish washer?

>:D

Close, but it's not an iPad.  :D

Well that's a damn shame boss. :-\  I gotta say that I've been happy with my Linx 8 Windows based tablet.  There's not the plethora of apps available that you'd find on android based tablets, but I've also never been stuck for finding something that works for me either.

Thanks but no thanks.  I'll stick with Android.  I have heard good things about Windows tablets and I'm using Win 8 on my laptop, but I'm resistant to change and I like the Android OS.

Def

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #79 on: February 14, 2015, 10:07:31 PM
im waiting hoping one plus one release it so i can get it on my phone  :gimme:
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: February 23, 2015, 01:39:16 PM
Interesting suggestions here for dealing with the N7/Lollipop issues:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comments/2wtthq/ok_google_i_have_given_up_on_my_nexus_7_2012/

Def

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: February 23, 2015, 03:42:12 PM
I've been over at google forums for products.  It's been a bloodbath for N7 2012.  I had a work around that helped.  Eventually, my N7 got 2 "Android updates" and now it's running pretty well.  Google says the "Android updates" aren't patches, but I'm not sure I believe that.  The difference before and after are night and day.

Here's a link to a list of simple settings that help free up RAM. 

Apparently Lollipop is not very good at freeing RAM as needed.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: March 10, 2015, 11:18:55 AM
Apparently 5.1 is now available for n7 2012. As before I'll wait for the OTA update rather than force it.

If this one doesn't significantly improve things I'm rolling back to 4.4 although most of the tweaks mentioned helped I still have had total freezes when doing simple things like browsing webpages.

On my Nexus 4 it's been more or less smooth sailing so far on 5.0.1

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: March 10, 2015, 12:21:19 PM
When it starts running buggy, switch to airplane mode.  It instantly stops all the background Wifi consumption (checking for up dates, syncing etc) and will get my N7 to go from critical to moderate memory levels instantly.  After a minute or so, I turn off airplane mode and continue on.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: March 10, 2015, 12:33:24 PM
On my n7 I have the animations turned off as per the guide, most of the time I have location turned off.

Yesterday for example I was looking something up on google and the browser froze. No button had any effect including the power (although I didn't press-hold for power off) I couldn't change task or even close the browser with the task manager. No other programs were running. It took me a lot of restraint to not throw the damn thing across the room.

I was under the impression that the upgrades where supposed to be an optimized OS that used battery/wifi etc more efficiently, but rather it's become so unuseable lately that I could be using the old generic tablet I had before which had abysmal battery, and far lower specs, but didn't choke so bad. But then again, 9/10 apps on the play store wouldn't install due to compatibility issues  :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: March 10, 2015, 12:56:03 PM
I'm glad I upgraded to a new device.  To be honest I'm quite sick of gadgets not doing what they were supposed to do.  I put a lot of bloody effort into making them workable and then spend too much time being frustrated that the machine isn't operating properly anyway.

I hope the new update works as I'd like to pass my N7 on to someone else, but if not I'll roll it back and do that anyway.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: March 10, 2015, 02:06:49 PM
Just to add to the above.....

I am not a fan of change.  A new device is remarkably inconvenient to me- the setup, the importing of contacts and so on, plus the minor changes in the way things are done really irks me.  While I very much enjoy shiny new toys, I find switching to shiny new toys quite inconvenient.  It takes a lot for me to switch, but that is changing.

A few years ago I had an HTC Touch, which was a fantastic little phone at the time.  As tech improved I often found myself left behind, but it worked and did most if what I needed it to.  There was no app store for it as it ran the old Windows Mobile OS.  I limped along for the longest time and I made the best of it despite being somewhat hamstrung.

Then I upgraded to an Android- the Motorola Atrix,  at the time the flagship Android and it was great.  For a while.  But I kept it too long and it started to have issues and I worked around them, frustrated at times.  I added software options to try and work around problems and I stripped out unnecessary software to keep it running.  Finally it died in me and I was forced into a replacement phone, the Galaxy S3.

For a while the S3 was fantastic.  But, much sooner than the Atrix,  the S3 started to develop problems and I was frustrated again with a phone that routinely didn't do what it was supposed to, locked up and required me to strip out software that I wanted and replace it with other software (launchers) that were supposed to help it run better.

Then I upgraded to the S5 after having maybe six months with the S3.  I love the S5.  It is everything I ever wanted in a phone, and even now after six months if some of the worst weather I have ever encountered it is still going strong wit barely a glitch to report. 

However, as much as I hate getting a new device, I have decided that I absolutely despise a device that I have to coax into being functional and that I have to make concessions to use.  The minute this thing starts pushing my buttons rather than the other way around, it is being replaced.  I'll try a few things to fix it or straighten out the problem, but the bottom line is that I do not waste time with sub standard tools that don't work, regardless of what they are.

My N7 is a great device.  I'll miss it.  But I'm not limping along miles behind the rest of the world because of it either.

Def

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: March 10, 2015, 03:35:24 PM
Android 5.1 is now available for download/flash for 2012 Nexus7

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Initial reports are quite favorable.  I will wait a week or 2 however.  :hatsoff:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: March 10, 2015, 09:23:07 PM
And it's official:

Google is pushing out an OTA update to Nexus 7 (2012) and a couple other Nexus devices now 

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/nexus/dilsQPMqiA0

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: March 17, 2015, 02:01:26 PM
OTA right now...
Screenshot_2015-03-17-13-57-27.jpg
* Screenshot_2015-03-17-13-57-27.jpg (Filesize: 79.19 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%