Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your EDC for a lifetime

Megan · 104 · 6066

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Your EDC for a lifetime
on: November 20, 2014, 02:52:54 PM
If you could only carry:

One Multitool OR One SAK
One flashlight
One folding knife or fixed

For the rest of your life (nothing else)- what would you carry and why?

Selfishly, this should help me figure out what I should be carrying too.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Your EDC for a lifetime
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:05:40 PM
For my one SAK/multitool I'd probably forego my trusty yellow Compact for something a little more capable. I'd probably end up with a Swiss Tool RS because it's the toughest and most functional tool I can think of.

For a flashlight, I still love the Photon Proton although I am currently without one. They keep disappearing shortly after I show them to someone else!

If I had to choose one knife is probably take a Grohmann Belt Knife as it's big enough for big jobs, small enough for small jobs and not seen as all that threatening to the locals- in fact as they are made here it's more of a mark of pride.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 03:13:37 PM
If it had to be one SAK I'd go back to the Tinker,it's done so much for me over so many years. I'd maybe go Fenix E05 on the torch. Non SAK folder? Hmmm,dunno,maybe my Case Stockman?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:19:25 PM
Multi:  Spirit - it has everything I might need and nothing I don't.  The serrated butter blade, though locking, is non threatening and actually very useful.  The whole thing is beautifully made - I just wish it had a pocket clip.

Torch:  I don't know that many.  Something that takes one easy to find AA, has a tailcap switch and afew light levels.  My Fenix LD09 is very nice but there's probably something 'better' out there.  Pocket clip!

Knife:  Enzo PK70.  Best fit and finish of any tool I own.  Nice steel, good blade shape and lovely lovely carbon fibre scales.  Pocket clip!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:35:18 PM by hiraethus »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 03:21:00 PM
The multi part for me is a bit difficult, as I only have 4. Two of which are discontinued and bought because they were no longer available. But I would probably have to go with my Schrade ST-1. It would be a hard choice between Sidekick or ST-1, but the Tough Tool is just a better choice for serious hard work.

Light would be a Coast PX-25- Small enough to not be a hinderance, cheap enough that replacing it isn't a big deal either. It only runs on AAAs, but it gives absolutely more than enough light with it and the run time is very respectable in my usage.

Knife would be my Buck 110- half because of sentimentality and half because it's just a good capable blade, though maybe a bit overkill.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 03:24:36 PM
I would have to pick an MT over a SAK I think.  :think:  The MT I'd choose today would be the ST200.  Great tool set, and comfortable to use.  I'm kind of surprising myself by not picking a SwissTool.  :o  They have a better tool set, and are just as comfortable to use, but I really don't like the teeny tiny wire cutters on them.

For a flashlight, I'd probably say my Mini Mag LED.  Throws pretty good light, and uses two standard AA batteries.

I'm having a hard time deciding between either a fixed blade, or folder.  :think:  I think I might have to go folder, and even though I don't have one, I'd have to say a Buck 110.  They've been around for ages, and have proven themselves over the years.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 03:30:24 PM
Oh man, not one of these threads again....I could go on for a long time rambling about various factors I would consider for such a choice :ahhh  I'll have to come back later when I have more time ;)
K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 03:31:09 PM
Oh man, not one of these threads again....I could go on for a long time rambling about various factors I would consider for such a choice :ahhh  I'll have to come back later when I have more time ;)
:popcorn:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:42:36 PM
Definitely my new Spirit as my MT although I'd really miss my SAKs

I'm very happy with the AAA LED Maglite I carry

My MOD knife as the fixed blade because it's heavy for splitting wood, quite easy to sharpen and can be used as a hammer :facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 04:05:28 PM
MT: Probably the Rebar as a tough and light allrounder. The Wave has the advantage that it's stronger, has OHO blades and that if a new-fangled fastener comes out and I can't change my MT I could still use the bit driver. I still think I'd choose the Rebar though.

Light: Zebralight H52. It's throwy but can be converted to floody. I think it stands a reasonable chance of lasting a while, I know I keep banging on about it but after a year of daily pocket carry my H52F is still mint. It has to be a headtorch because of the amount of use mine gets currently, the reason I would go for the throwy despite currently owning the floody version is that it's easier to convert throw to flood than the other way round.

Knife: my single most used knife is my C33T so that's tempting, but if I was only allowed to use one knife then I'd want something more substantial. In my current collection of one fixed blade knife, the winner (and in fact last place too) would be the Mora that I won. I don't use it every day but it is tough, dependable and can do things my others can't.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 04:27:46 PM
Oh man, not one of these thread again........
I know eh!
Sak or Mt, gonna be an mt. And that Mt will be the Surge. It is a beast and it was the only multi that caused my CT41 to collect dust. Also has OH blades, replaceable wire cutters, replaceable saw and file and has the blade exchanger.

Just a single blade is a toss up. SOG Vulcan or Mora Bushcraft Black. Since I am in the woods and on the farm a lot I would say it is the Mora. Ideally, a blade made by Seved in 1095 would just be sweet!

The torch is easy, Mag-Lite Mag-Tac. Built like a tank. Does not have tons of modes. Has a pocket clip.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 04:30:26 PM
I've been trying to kill my supertool 300 for like 6 months and still haven't been able to. So I think I'd choose that for my multi.

As for my light Id pick my streamlight microstream. I have 2 but have been using the same one for years and years. Can't kill that either.

And for my knife, I would probably go with one of my spyderco choices. Most likely my tenacious since it's relatively cheap, has a decent (although not amazing) steel, good size and good shape.

It's a good thing we don't have to choose like this, though. Every member here would lose their minds really quickly  :multi:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 04:33:56 PM
 :rofl:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 04:38:46 PM
Sorry, not playing  :D

My needs and tastes have changed too frequently for me to choose just one for life. "Urban" tools weren't heavy duty enough for a lot of chores on the boat, and none of the boat tools were legal or appropriate for daily carry. The boat may be gone, but the principal remains. It's like only choosing one pair of shoes and expecting them to be suitable for weddings, jogging, digging the garden, job interviews, hill walking, rock climbing, paddling in the sea, and trudging through snow and ice. No single tool/torch/knife solutions for me  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 05:10:02 PM
Well that is a bit of a tough one, but i'll give it a go.  :think:

If I could only choose between a SAK or Multitool I would have to go with a full sized multitool. It would most likely be a Swisstool X or RS. Both the X and RS are very well made, built like a tank, offer a excellent tool selection, and are very rust resistant.

For the flashlight I do not even have to give it a second thought. It would be a Zebralight SC52 (or currently produced equivalent single AA Zebralight). It is easily my favorite and most reliable flashlight I have ever owned. Tiny yet incredibly bright. It runs on a (very common) single AA battery. Build quality is excellent and it offers a pocket clip. I also love the ergonomics of the light. If it was the one and only light I could carry for the rest of my life I would be completely content with it.

As far as fixed blades I honestly do not know enough to make a "life long" carry decision. Around here it is only legal to open carry a fixed blade and if it accidentally gets covered in any way you can get charged with a felony so no one even chances it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:13:00 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 05:19:20 PM
I told my exGFs I would EDC them for life, ... until I found something better.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 05:19:43 PM
Ugh.  I can't really answer this.  I live a "double life"

1.  Hospital pathologist (10-12 hours/day):  In this role, my MT would be my Cybertimer 41 (Cybertool 41 with Timekeeper scales).  It's a total winner.  My light is a small Prometheus Beta QR, which rides on my keys.  It's all I need at work and commuting to and from home.  Separate knife isn't necessary or wanted.  Instead I substitute a OPT, and in this case it would be an Atwood Ghost.  This has been my EDC for months now.

2.  Horse Farmer/Farm laborer:  (The rest of my life):  On the farm, I need a real tool. Lately, I've been carrying a Wenger minigrip, which has been extremely good.  The only place where the Leatherman Charge has a slight edge, is that the Leatherman has a larger pliers head.  If I'm still allowed use of dedicated tools when needed, I would go with the Wenger minigrip BECAUSE it takes standard 1/4 bits and carries 6 bits at a time. 

On the farm, my Zebralight headlamp would be my choice.  It's bullet proof.

Knife would likely be my Spyderco Captain, although my CRKT stubby Razel has been my goto knife lately.

us Offline getahl

Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 05:26:39 PM
Farmer, a machete in the nine or ten inch neighborhood (counts as a knife, right?), and a torch with a fair bit of throw.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:30:05 PM by getahl »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 05:32:46 PM

1.  Hospital pathologist (10-12 hours/day):  In this role, my MT would be my Cybertimer 41 (Cybertool 41 with Timekeeper scales).  It's a total winner.  My light is a small Prometheus Beta QR, which rides on my keys.  It's all I need at work and commuting to and from home.  Separate knife isn't necessary or wanted.  Instead I substitute a OPT, and in this case it would be an Atwood Ghost.  This has been my EDC for months now.

2.  Horse Farmer/Farm laborer:  (The rest of my life):  On the farm, I need a real tool. Lately, I've been carrying a Wenger minigrip, which has been extremely good.  The only place where the Leatherman Charge has a slight edge, is that the Leatherman has a larger pliers head.  If I'm still allowed use of dedicated tools when needed, I would go with the Wenger minigrip BECAUSE it takes standard 1/4 bits and carries 6 bits at a time. 

Knife would likely be my Spyderco Captain, although my CRKT stubby Razel has been my goto knife lately.

WOW!!!  :o :o :o The Minigrip has knocked the ALX off the top spot? How are you choosing to carry it? Found a suitable sheath?

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 05:53:29 PM
Multi: New Surge with Accessories

Light: LED Lenser P2

Knife: Grohmann #3 with Resinwood Scales and Flat Grind

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 06:21:41 PM
Blade: Boker Tactical Roper (Also available in Pink)
SAK: CyberTool 29
Flashlight: Midnight Manager

Its what I carry anyway. I'm quite boring that way, rarely mix it up.
Alternatively I like the Olight S10 (can be attached to a baseball cap with its clip)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 06:32:45 PM
MT: Wave. I think if I HAD to pick one, it would be the most versatile all-around tool I could pick. I don't know if it's 'the best' at anything but is capable of just about everything.

Light: Preon 01. Three light levels, super compact, comes on in the lowest mode. This isn't really a fair question, because it's not like i have a ton of experience with good flashlights.

Blade: Probably a small Mora. I don't own one. And honestly, I'd rather trade this slot to add a Micra to my lifetime list. In my life, I find dedicated knives to be rather (excuse the pun) pointless.

I know. I'm not much help. :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 07:04:26 PM

WOW!!!  :o :o :o The Minigrip has knocked the ALX off the top spot? How are you choosing to carry it? Found a suitable sheath?

Straight up pocket carry.  Left front.  I've been in insulated coveralls so left front pocket of them.
The pliers are excellent, but a little smaller and I'm not as keen to use them as a prybar ONLY because I know it will eventually break them and I know it can't be sent in for repair, per se.

The bits are fantastic.  standard 1/4 inch bits and 50% more bits in onboard storage.   Saw and file too. It's a great design.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 07:10:11 PM
My first thought was my WAVE but................. that's mostly due to work reasons. 
Like Mr W I'd need to have a work and off day tool I think.

Wave would cover my work needs paired with Olight I3s

Offday I could easily get on with my Swisschamp and same light. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 07:16:38 PM

Straight up pocket carry.  Left front.  I've been in insulated coveralls so left front pocket of them.
The pliers are excellent, but a little smaller and I'm not as keen to use them as a prybar ONLY because I know it will eventually break them and I know it can't be sent in for repair, per se.

The bits are fantastic.  standard 1/4 inch bits and 50% more bits in onboard storage.   Saw and file too. It's a great design.

:cheers: You must be the only person at MT.O carrying one on a regular basis  :D
Hope it carries on working out so good for you  :salute:

My first thought was my WAVE but................. that's mostly due to work reasons. 
Like Mr W I'd need to have a work and off day tool I think.

Wave would cover my work needs paired with Olight I3s

Offday I could easily get on with my Swisschamp and same light. 

I need a work tool set, and a urban tool set, and a hiking tool set, and a boat tool set (in case I get called in to crew for one of the mates), and a camping tool set, and a car tool set, and a bag tool set, maybe soon a cycling tool set, and about 7 or 8 not quite figured out what I'm going to use them for yet tool sets .....

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 07:21:28 PM
In reality I have those same "sets".  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:45 PM

It varies from day to day. Not sure I could come up with just one for all.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

00 Offline jacktrades

Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:29 PM
I'll give it a shot..kind of..

Rebar/Alox farmer or pioneer
Fenix E01
Case peanut/Dpx Hest fixed

Well, i do carry the rebar from time to time, and i always put it in a bag if i happen to carry one.
The 93mm sak can't be beat, so a farmer is always in a micro organizer that gets swapped between bags. I carried that farmer long before the rebar, and the alox soldier was always around before i bought the farmer.
That alox soldier makes a great edc knife/tool. The farmer is a bit thick for me, hence its location in a bag and not my pocket.
An E01 is also in that micro.
I do carry the case peanut daily, for a few years now, and the Hest fixed blade is my main knife in the outdoors.

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:45 PM
Multi Tool- Surge hands down with all accessories and spare cutters. Hopefully during this dark period of one choice only LM's warranty will still stand :ahhh

Flashlight - I am used to my LED Lenser M5 and she has saved my days on many an occasion especially during the CCTV installation at work.

Knife- Spyderco Delica 4.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 10:11:59 PM
The Farmer could easily last a lifetime :)

If you need more versatility then a Swisschamp is an amazing bit of kit, that is pretty much legal everywhere too. :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44