Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding with EvoGrip Locking

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Modding with EvoGrip Locking
on: November 20, 2014, 05:28:32 PM
Hi, I'm new around here but I'we been lurking around a bit looking for the perfect SAK for my EDC. At the moment I have my Tourist with Alder-root scales (see attachment).

Now I see all these awesome SAKs with brass liners and whatnot and I kinda want to make something as beautiful myself. (thinking: wooden & brass scales, brass liners and exposed rivets)

And now to my question, has anyone even tried modding the any of the EvoGrips with lock? It would seem the EvoGrip S101 would basically be what I have today plus the locking, which would be really nice to have.
2011-12-26 18.41.26.jpg
* 2011-12-26 18.41.26.jpg (Filesize: 309.89 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Modding with EvoGrip Locking
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 05:35:49 PM
Hey welcome aboard!

I have some locking wengers but I havent taken them apart.  From what I can see though the locking mechanism is part of the layer, so I dont see any problem in taking them apart and modding with the scales you have there.

Polished brass liners are my absolute favorite liner material, I think it's beautiful.  :tu:

Please post up some pics if you tackled the project!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline rickinFL

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 05:51:31 PM

I did not use the lock as I switched blades but it is just part of the layer.  The only problem is that the scales are milled to fit the liner.  If you can line with the liner being exposed you are all set to go.  Unlike vic, many of the springs and tools extend beyond the liner so you may be better shaping them once the knife is built.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 06:00:31 PM
Welcome aboard! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:13:14 PM
Thank's for the encouragement, an Evolution S101 is ordered and should be on its way, in the meantime I have laid my hands on some wood for the scales, namely a sixties (?) teak tray. Is there any real reason why I haven't seen a single knife with Teak handles/scales? I do myself like the color, particularly after applying oil.

After the knife arrives I'll go ahead and source brass pins, liners and something thicker for ends of the scales.

I did not use the lock as I switched blades but it is just part of the layer.  The only problem is that the scales are milled to fit the liner.  If you can line with the liner being exposed you are all set to go.  Unlike vic, many of the springs and tools extend beyond the liner so you may be better shaping them once the knife is built.

Didn't you have one with the locking still on in the "Show off your Sak" topic?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 05:18:58 PM
The knife arrived yesterday, looking it over modding seems fairly straight-forward, as part of the Wenger becoming Victorinox thing they are doing a lot of the parts seem to have been streamlined to Victorinox standard, the evolution-shaped handle is no longer milled to accommodate the liner, instead the outer liner has been reshaped to match the shape of the scales. Strangely enough it seems like they have used the slightly slimmer Wenger cap-lifer while using the Victorinox-style can opener.

I must say I'm not entirely sold on the build quality, the edges are slightly raw and the nail-notches on the cap-lifter and the can opener are partly covered by the scales, probably as a result of just slapping Victorinox parts on.

I'll be keeping it in one piece for a couple of days to get a feel for it but after that it's coming apart to reveal what parts I need for my desired modding.

I could post pictures if anyone is interested in some similar project.

us Offline rickinFL

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 06:11:52 PM
The knife arrived yesterday, looking it over modding seems fairly straight-forward, as part of the Wenger becoming Victorinox thing they are doing a lot of the parts seem to have been streamlined to Victorinox standard, the evolution-shaped handle is no longer milled to accommodate the liner, instead the outer liner has been reshaped to match the shape of the scales. Strangely enough it seems like they have used the slightly slimmer Wenger cap-lifer while using the Victorinox-style can opener.

I must say I'm not entirely sold on the build quality, the edges are slightly raw and the nail-notches on the cap-lifter and the can opener are partly covered by the scales, probably as a result of just slapping Victorinox parts on.

I'll be keeping it in one piece for a couple of days to get a feel for it but after that it's coming apart to reveal what parts I need for my desired modding.

I could post pictures if anyone is interested in some similar project.

The nail nick being covered is the same on wenger and I guess now Vic.  Not sure why they sculpted the scales like that but it does feel very nice in hand.  Look forward to seeing the mod. I have one that is in the hands of a wood scale master and I will also attempt something a little less beefy with the donors I have here.

If you need any parts, I have a few to spare.

Good luck.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 11:50:21 PM
A couple of days kinda turned into a couple of months as I had no nice replacement knife while this one was being modified. Now another topic came up asking about the scales on the, former Wenger, 85 mm so I took mine off and got a bit of inspiration to work on it.

In the months since I started the topic I've been able to source some nice teak but I'm still in need of brass sheets and rod. (anyone got a reasonable European seller?)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%