Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Enablers, please enable me (new to SAKs)

Offline GoodMoodMike

Enablers, please enable me (new to SAKs)
on: November 20, 2014, 10:47:51 PM
Hello all, I normally carry a leatherman wingman or wave in the pocket. I am kn the process of looking through smaller-sized SAKs. I would like to attach one to my key ring (shown in photo).

Minimal tools wanted in a SAK:
Tweezers,
Scissors,
Toothpick

Please advise

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Enablers, please enable me (new to SAKs)
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:53:09 PM
Get yourself a Classic. I know, not that original, but it is one of Victorinox's best sellers...and all those folks can't be wrong.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:54:31 PM
Can't go wrong with a Classic - all your requirements, sits lightly on a keyring in your pocket - you won't even know it's there, until you need it.

Others will be along soon to try and tempt you to go all Alox, but a Classic will do.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:56:19 PM
Victorinox Rambler... you're welcome:

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline tylosaurus

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:57:54 PM
Manger!  it's like the Rambler, but the toothpick is replaced with a ball point pen. 

Offline GoodMoodMike

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 10:58:07 PM

Can't go wrong with a Classic - all your requirements, sits lightly on a keyring in your pocket - you won't even know it's there, until you need it.

Others will be along soon to try and tempt you to go all Alox, but a Classic will do.

Is alox just the name for ones with the alternative metal looking scales or are their other differences from normal victorinox?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:00:14 PM

Is alox just the name for ones with the alternative metal looking scales or are their other differences from normal victorinox?

Yap, same tool, different handle. Alox is thinner, lighter, and more scratch resistant, but you lose the tweezers and toothpick...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 11:05:01 PM
I'd also recommend the Rambler if a Phillips would be at all useful for you.  I have a Rambler as well as a Manager (which replaces the toothpick with a pen), and it's worth the minute increase in thickness over the Classic.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 11:34:46 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard!

You might also check out the Wenger models, particularly the Pocket Tool Chest. A little bigger than the Vics, but I find them easier to use.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pocket+Tool+Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 11:37:44 PM
I think the Manager of Rambler are both excellent choices as well as the Classic.  One of these 3 and you cannot go wrong. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 11:38:49 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard!

You might also check out the Wenger models, particularly the Pocket Tool Chest. A little bigger than the Vics, but I find them easier to use.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pocket+Tool+Chest
Right here.  :tu:
Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 11:39:55 PM
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 11:45:45 PM
Rambler :tu:

I go hardcore, carrying a alox one but I do miss tweezers and toothpick sometimes :D

Welcome to the forums.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 12:16:11 AM
Rambler or Manager  :tu:

The Pocket Toolchest (or Evo 88) as mentioned earlier loses the excellent phillips (the tip is a small flat driver instead) but gains a useful awl and a mini driver which is excellent for spectacles

Do consider getting a larger SAK too. Whilst you do have the Wave or Wingman on you, once you start carrying a SAK you'll find yourself reaching for that over the full size multitool quite often. The scissors are better too  ;) A nice complimentary SAK to start with might be a Compact  :tu:

Toothpick and tweezers, but also a pen. There's also a small pin too, great for digging out splinters, clearing the washer jets on your car, or even eating cockles or other shellfish. The scissors will beat your Leatherman scissors hands down, and whilst the combo tool is quite weak as a driver (which doesn't matter because of the other tools on you) will serve very well as a can opener and cap lifter. The multipurpose hook gets a lot of flak here, but can also be just the ticket for certain jobs, and on the Compact's hook, there is also a small nail file. The corkscrew is great for untying knots even if you don't drink wine with corks, and holds the little mini precision screwdriver too.

I think the Wave is a great tool. I think the Wingman is a pretty terrible one, but it's certainly a lot better than nothing. Those two will take care of a lot of jobs for you, but when you get the Rambler/Manager ... and Compact ... you'll not be disappointed ... you'll be addicted  >:D

Stop reading right now, and go order them  :pok: :pok: :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 12:20:11 AM
Rambler or Manager  :tu:

The Pocket Toolchest (or Evo 88) as mentioned earlier loses the excellent phillips (the tip is a small flat driver instead) but gains a useful awl and a mini driver which is excellent for spectacles

Do consider getting a larger SAK too. Whilst you do have the Wave or Wingman on you, once you start carrying a SAK you'll find yourself reaching for that over the full size multitool quite often. The scissors are better too  ;) A nice complimentary SAK to start with might be a Compact  :tu:

Toothpick and tweezers, but also a pen. There's also a small pin too, great for digging out splinters, clearing the washer jets on your car, or even eating cockles or other shellfish. The scissors will beat your Leatherman scissors hands down, and whilst the combo tool is quite weak as a driver (which doesn't matter because of the other tools on you) will serve very well as a can opener and cap lifter. The multipurpose hook gets a lot of flak here, but can also be just the ticket for certain jobs, and on the Compact's hook, there is also a small nail file. The corkscrew is great for untying knots even if you don't drink wine with corks, and holds the little mini precision screwdriver too.

I think the Wave is a great tool. I think the Wingman is a pretty terrible one, but it's certainly a lot better than nothing. Those two will take care of a lot of jobs for you, but when you get the Rambler/Manager ... and Compact ... you'll not be disappointed ... you'll be addicted  >:D

Stop reading right now, and go order them  :pok: :pok: :D

Excellent enabling here  :tu:  I'm still learning the ways, I'll have to bookmark this as a reference  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 12:21:17 AM

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 12:32:14 AM
Wenger Pocket Tool Chest works great with phillips screws:
tiny sd, nail cleaner, main sd  :D

So, the clue point are the scissors :o

If you're good with serrated (self-sharpening :P ) scissors,

then the Pocket Tool Chest is the way to go :tu:

But, if you prefer the plain edge,

then The MiniChamp is only way to go >:D

:gimme:

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 06:42:40 AM
Alox Classic is the only way to go.  I have several plastic scaled and a modded Alox Rambler, but the thinness and utility of the Alox Classic puts it at the top of the heap.  I do keep a the Alox Rambler in my Traveller suitcase, the bottle opener can be a lifesaver when abroad. 

Note: Rambler is the better all in one, but if you are comboing with a cadet/pioneer/farmer, the classic is the way to go.

Alox Tag Team!
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 07:18:11 AM
No alox and no Manager... he says he wants the T&T ;)
I'd say Classic. Maybe Rambler because of it's superb combo tool.

If you like your SAK a little bit bigger then a 74mm model may be a nice option. An Executive perhaps.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 08:50:36 AM
Executive is very sexy.  Unfortunately without modding, it has no bottle opener.  A Ramber would make an excellent couple with it though.  The Ramblin Exec from Georgia Tech!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 09:34:31 AM
Executive is very sexy.  Unfortunately without modding, it has no bottle opener.

That's right. This is awesome: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5287.msg273352.html#msg273352
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 10:33:53 AM
With some machining the orange peeler can also be converted into a bottle opener as well.  Somebody did such a mod before IIRC. 

I had an idea of doing a Alox Super Exec Mod at one point, but I think my inspiration fled.  I believe it was going to have a 58mm bottle opener and the backside 84/91mm awl + main blade, file and scissors or somesuch.

It'd be pretty groovy! 

ca Offline Werkzeug

• I work my thing
Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 10:19:02 PM
Do you really need that toothpick?

I just got a manager and am really pleased with it -- for me, having a pen on me at all times trumps having a dedicated toothpick. Live dangerously and use the nail file or tweezers to pick out the broccoli.
"When you are playing with an MT, you briefly forget about the things that worry you and drag you down. It's like a drug addiction, without the weight loss, loss of family and job, and decaying teeth." — powernoodle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 10:25:54 PM
Live REALLY dangerously. Use the blade.  >:D

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 11:23:53 PM
I find the toothpick very useful for removing pocket lint and debris from the SAK, which is also very useful.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 05:57:29 AM
Do you really need that toothpick?

I just got a manager and am really pleased with it -- for me, having a pen on me at all times trumps having a dedicated toothpick. Live dangerously and use the nail file or tweezers to pick out the broccoli.

Having a SAK with pen is the easiest way to carry a pen.  Well I'm sure there are easier ways but SAK + PEN = WIN
Esse Quam Videri

Offline GoodMoodMike

Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 02:29:29 AM
Thanks all, after much thought and weighing cons of the Rambler vs Manager, I've chosen the Manager. Can't really beat a pen on me at all times, and my car set of keys may equip itself with the Rambler soon enough.

Wet shaver, edc-er.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 03:12:57 AM
Excellent choice!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 03:27:53 AM
Excellent choice.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 07:32:33 AM
I keep the vic pen in my wallet at all times.  It saves a bit of space with no need for plus scales or the thicker 58mm scale.  My pockets are full enough!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%