Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fishing Multi Tool?

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Fishing Multi Tool?
on: November 21, 2014, 01:10:32 AM
I'm currently using a old style LM Wave as my go to fishing multi tool, I picked it up second hand for cheap with floppy handles, so I'm not concerned with if getting dirty or rusty... Pretty much only the scissors and plain edge blade gets used, the pliers get minimal use. What do other members use when they're fishing?
darren

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Fishing Multi Tool?
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:44:27 AM
My Surge.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:59:36 AM
Honestly, whatever happens to be on me that day. I keep a set of fishing pliers in the box for when the regular needle-nose can't cut it. But reach for the multitool first.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 03:24:24 AM
For fresh water I use a Charge.

For salt water I use the combo in the pic.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
I'm way too paranoid to take my Surge fishing, once it's dropped in the sea it's probably gone forever. :oops: Although outside opening scissors would be very handy.
darren

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 10:13:27 PM
Lanyard that anchor. This is what I do.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 11:59:10 PM
That's a really cool idea Zoidberg! My paracord weaving ability stops with bracelets.
darren

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:34:33 AM
Thanks mate.  :cheers:

It doesn't need to be flash, a length of paracord with a loop at each end will do the job.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 08:00:13 AM
Yeah, I guess so. I might watch some YouTube vids and practice some more.
darren

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 07:22:55 AM
What type of fishing...

I live in Florida so I've done almost everything.

Bottom Bouncing, Fly fishing, Kite fishing, Cobia Fishing, Flounder Gigging, Bowfishing, etc.....

I have also pondered this thought.

My skeletool CX as my EDC will undoubtedly make the trip with me.

I wish there were companies out there that would make a very high quality plastic plier. With a knife in the handle.

Like a plastic LM with just a knife....and maybe a file. But that's it.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 07:28:41 AM
While I'm here....pictures I enjoy :)

First bass on my New Shimano CI4+

First SheepHead of 2014 caught by my Little Bro.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 07:48:41 AM
Those are some nice looking fish :tu:

Mostly I fish in the sea from jetties or wharves, using mono on a light weight spin combo. Sometimes I use soft plastic lures, sometimes I use regular bait.

Every now and then I'll fish in a river or lake but those times are few and far between as the sea is closer to home.

I have a $20 LM sidekick with wingman scissors on the way so that will probably be going in the tackle box. I prob won't bother attaching a lanyard to that one cos if it's lost or broken it's really no biggie!
darren

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 08:16:20 AM
Being on jetties I would still use a lanyard!

And I would vote against scissors and towards pliers. I'm not sure what your main catch is but there is nothing worse than digging a stinger out of a kingfish or a Sabiki out of a pinfish without pliers!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 08:45:34 AM

And I would vote against scissors and towards pliers. I'm not sure what your main catch is but there is nothing worse than digging a stinger out of a kingfish or a Sabiki out of a pinfish without pliers!

The Sidekick still has pliers, just swapped out the wood saw for Outside opening scissors.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:48:42 AM by DazMechanical »
darren

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 08:49:42 AM

The Sidekick still has pliers, just swapped out the wood saw for Outside opening scissors.

Gotcha.

You plan on protecting it with anything? Mineral oil? WD?

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 10:53:51 AM
Probably just some WD 40 but I've heard that it can put off fish when handling bait and such. I wonder if just a light spray after a good wipe down on the MT would be enough to transfer on to the bait though  :think:
darren

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 07:07:07 PM
Probably just some WD 40 but I've heard that it can put off fish when handling bait and such. I wonder if just a light spray after a good wipe down on the MT would be enough to transfer on to the bait though  :think:
I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard of people sending bass worms with WD....

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 07:07:20 PM
*senting

00 Offline cool123

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 12:07:24 PM
I am not known to much fishing multitools. I only know much about the multitools which we can use for everyday carry.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

us Offline JK Knives

Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 07:48:03 PM
My favorite is the Wingman. I like the outside scissors and spring loaded pliers. Of course the fact my wife works for a large retailer (think red, not blue)and told me they had them on closeout a few months back, did not hurt. After the employee discount it cost me $9. At that price I can afford to lose it!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Fishing Multi Tool?
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 08:12:16 PM
My primary fishing tool is my wave, I've used it so much I can easily flick the pliers out with one hand. I also like to use my pstii for fishing and have brought that on a bunch of trips. Knife wise I usually bring my buck x-tract essential or a sak.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:01 PM
Wait, I'm confused. Why does Zoid carry a screwdriver salt fishing?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 08:21:35 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

I know the bail-less penn  706z reels always need adjusting. They are absolute tanks though, they are loud, ugly, heavy, and simple. But the only maitenece we've ever done was tighten the bail screw and replace the drag washers once every 5 years

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 08:39:04 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

I know the bail-less penn  706z reels always need adjusting. They are absolute tanks though, they are loud, ugly, heavy, and simple. But the only maitenece we've ever done was tighten the bail screw and replace the drag washers once every 5 years

I'm bad, all I do is oil slightly :rofl: Though I have had to fully disassemble a few second hand reels to get them straightened out.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 08:41:19 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

I'm bad, all I do is oil slightly :rofl: Though I have had to fully disassemble a few second hand reels to get them straightened out.
Same here. My freshwater reels almost never get oiled. Especially the Shimano Stradics. They are built sealed so I'm not worried about them

The Salsmurfer reels are a WHOLE different ball game. I'd say the drags get done pretty often, but oiling and greasing is a monthly chore. Salsmurfer eats stainless like it's rebar

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 08:47:40 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

Same here. My freshwater reels almost never get oiled. Especially the Shimano Stradics. They are built sealed so I'm not worried about them

The Salsmurfer reels are a WHOLE different ball game. I'd say the drags get done pretty often, but oiling and greasing is a monthly chore. Salsmurfer eats stainless like it's rebar

Just had me a bowl of rebar this morning :D I feel you though, I have a basic Penn Fierce as I don't get out there very much, probably 5 times a year. But you have me ready to go oil it now.

My freshwater is a Shimano Sahara, my first higher quality reel, and I love it.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 08:52:03 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

Just had me a bowl of rebar this morning :D I feel you though, I have a basic Penn Fierce as I don't get out there very much, probably 5 times a year. But you have me ready to go oil it now.

I've always wanted a Sahara for a travel reel.

All my freshwater spinning reels are the Shimano Stradic CI4+ models.

They are 275 a peice, just way to much to trust everyone when your camping or leaving in a truck bed!

I've never owned a fierce penn either, all the salsmurfer rods are either 550s, spinfisher  Vs, or the original 706z and 704s.

Unless we head out on the boat, in which case it's Penn Internationals and Senators

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 08:58:29 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

They are 275 a peice, just way to much to trust everyone when your camping or leaving in a truck bed!

I've never owned a fierce penn either, all the salsmurfer rods are either 550s, spinfisher  Vs, or the original 706z and 704s.

Unless we head out on the boat, in which case it's Penn Internationals and Senators

Heck, rounding up 275 for much of anything would be very hard for me, but I spread myself thin with hobbies :D. My bike was the most I've ever spent on myself, fishing is more of my wind-down at the end of the day. Gimme an Ugly Stik and any half decent spinning reel and you won't hear a complaint out of me. Bikes are a different story, unfortunately due to my size and riding style, cheaper parts tend not to live long lives under my command.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 09:00:05 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

Heck, rounding up 275 for much of anything would be very hard for me, but I spread myself thin with hobbies :D. My bike was the most I've ever spent on myself, fishing is more of my wind-down at the end of the day. Gimme an Ugly Stik and any half decent spinning reel and you won't hear a complaint out of me. Bikes are a different story, unfortunately due to my size and riding style, cheaper parts tend not to live long lives under my command.
That's one thing I've never got into, biking!

For me it's the opposite. I'm always battling myself too.

"I spent 275 bucks on a reel, I can't destroy it"

But on the other hand "it costs so much because it's built to handle abuse"

I guess bikes kinda HAVE to be used though

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 09:04:47 PM
Adjusting reels maybe?

That's one thing I've never got into, biking!

For me it's the opposite. I'm always battling myself too.

"I spent 275 bucks on a reel, I can't destroy it"

But on the other hand "it costs so much because it's built to handle abuse"

I guess bikes kinda HAVE to be used though

Sadly they're about my only gear that get's used to their fullest  :ahhh I'm already on my third set of wheels since I got it last November!

I'm just glad I didn't spend a ton on my fly setup, I would be a bit miffed by now. Your fishing season also tends to last a bit longer than mine too lol

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD