Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New bike tail lights

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
New bike tail lights
on: November 21, 2014, 07:31:21 AM
Hey all,

Just wanted to give a quick mention of a couple of nice tail lights I got in the past week.

1) the Serfas "thunderbolt"... awesome light! VERY bright on the high settings... simple operation; just click through two constant settings, high then low, then two blinky settings, high then low. One of the brightest dedicated bike tail lights I've ever seen. Rechargeable via a USB port and cable. Haven't run it for more than about an hour and a half yet, so I can't say for sure how long the burn time is, but that sucker is BRIGHT!  Uses a mini-usb cable.

2) Lezyne "Zecto Drive" rear... Funky little light... comes with a built-in belt clip, and a silicone rubber retaining strap. You can put it on a seat post, or on a backpack or messenger bag. Has more settings than the Thunderbolt: high and low constant on, steady blink, pulsing strobe, and a couple of different back-and-forth blinky modes. Not quite as bright as the Thunderbolt, but still plenty bright. I keep it on my messenger bag; the silicone strap helps with retention. Also charge with a USB cable/adapter. Uses a micro-usb cable.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: New bike tail lights
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:17:49 AM
Heinz!

I love my Cateye back lights,but I've come round to the view that a hi-vis top is the best way to be seen in the dark...that and eye level lights >:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 05:20:19 PM
As someone that drives on roads that bicyclists use, I'm so pleased to see them with hi-vis jackets on. There's nothing worse than a single, feeble blinky light that you can barely see and can't judge where it is. The ones I like meeting the most have a good, bright steady front light and both blinky and steady rears.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:26:18 PM
 :worthless:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 05:46:32 PM
There are many cyclist on the roads here in my area. The weather is nice so its not surprising.  I love when I see BOTH blinking light and reflective/hi vis clothing especially when they're on some of our less lit roads.  One guy has red blinking light on his helmut and seat which is pretty neat.  He also has a frame light that shines on the ground just in front of his wheel. 

There sadly have been one to many hit and killed on the roads here so the better you are seen the better chance you stand.   
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:46:14 PM
Okay JA!  Sheesh!  Here ya go! :D

Here are the two Thunderbolts I bought, and the Zecto. The white one is for my race bike, and the black one goes on my commuter. I use the Zecto on the little strap for blinkies that's on my Timbuk2 messenger bag.

Close-up of the back side of the Zecto. Here you can see that the clip has an indentation on it, so you can mount it to a seatpost if you care to.

Here's the white Thunderbolt on my race-bike, an extensively upgraded Fuji Sportif 1.1...

And Cupboard, trust me, these things are NOT feeble!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:48:19 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 07:56:16 PM
There are many cyclist on the roads here in my area. The weather is nice so its not surprising.  I love when I see BOTH blinking light and reflective/hi vis clothing especially when they're on some of our less lit roads.  One guy has red blinking light on his helmut and seat which is pretty neat.  He also has a frame light that shines on the ground just in front of his wheel. 

There sadly have been one to many hit and killed on the roads here so the better you are seen the better chance you stand.

Since my divorce, my bicycle(s) have been my only transportation other than public transit and an occasional car rental.  As you can imagine, I take my cycling very seriously, and quality, high output lighting is not just an accessory in my opinion; it's a necessity.

In addition to my use of these lights above (typically two tail lights as I describe above), I also have a headlight on my handlebar and a headlamp on my helmet. Specifically, I use a Minoura bracket that mounts in the headset stack on which I have a front blinky, and a Zebralight SC600w, and on my helmet I have a Zebralight H600w, both running on AW 3400 mah 18650's. At max output with both, I'm pushing a hair over 2,000 lumens. I've had people flash their brights at me even when I haven't had them on max... In fact, a couple of weeks ago, while out riding one night, someone coming the opposite direction flashed his brights at me. When I didn't lower my light he clicked his brights full on. I then clicked my lights to max. He quickly turned his lights back down!

The best part of the system I've got set up is the combination of run time and compactness I get (not to mention the output). With the 3400 mah cells, I get a full 2 hours of run time at max with each light. I usually run both at one of the lower settings (330 lumens) which by itself is usually plenty bright, and I get more than 4 hours of burn time on that setting. Each light is completely self contained with no external battery packs, and with the neutral emitters, none of that nasty blue tint I hate.

Here's how I have the SC600w mounted.

Here's now I have the H600w mounted to my helmet.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:01:48 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 08:09:31 PM
Sweet set up.  I also rode exclusively while going to college and work and wouldn't be caught without a light set up on my bike either.  I cannot stress enough that being visible is what we owe to motorist as well to ourselves and family. 

Be safe.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 09:23:09 PM
Okay JA!  Sheesh!  Here ya go! :D

Here are the two Thunderbolts I bought, and the Zecto. The white one is for my race bike, and the black one goes on my commuter. I use the Zecto on the little strap for blinkies that's on my Timbuk2 messenger bag.

Close-up of the back side of the Zecto. Here you can see that the clip has an indentation on it, so you can mount it to a seatpost if you care to.

Here's the white Thunderbolt on my race-bike, an extensively upgraded Fuji Sportif 1.1...

And Cupboard, trust me, these things are NOT feeble!

Thanks

I'm just getting back into cycling again.

I like seeing what's out there.

Nice bike
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:01:19 PM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 10:25:02 PM
Don´t laugh  :angel:

But as i don´t use my bike anymore, i´ve taken its red tail light (switchable blinking/steady) and put it in my mobile operational bag (what a important name, right? You can also call it a satchel or a man purse  :rofl:, it´s a MK VI british gasmask bag). It´s usefull to give signs at the scene of a accident, i can clip it on my back to be visible when walking dark roads, ......
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 02:23:20 AM
JA,

You might want to look into the Fenix BC30. It's a new light that came out recently that runs on two 18650's, and has a "turbo" output of 1800 lumens. Its "high" setting is 500 lumens for five hours. I've been considering getting one myself, but honestly, I don't need one.

But as i don´t use my bike anymore, i´ve taken its red tail light (switchable blinking/steady) and put it in my mobile operational bag (what a important name, right? You can also call it a satchel or a man purse  :rofl:, it´s a MK VI british gasmask bag). It´s usefull to give signs at the scene of a accident, i can clip it on my back to be visible when walking dark roads, ......

By all means a sensible precaution... people don't pay as much attention when driving as they should. Keep yourself safe!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 02:38:24 AM
JA,

You might want to look into the Fenix BC30. It's a new light that came out recently that runs on two 18650's, and has a "turbo" output of 1800 lumens. Its "high" setting is 500 lumens for five hours. I've been considering getting one myself, but honestly, I don't need one.

By all means a sensible precaution... people don't pay as much attention when driving as they should. Keep yourself safe!

I'm going to look it up now.

Since my divorce, my bicycle(s) have been my only transportation other than public transit and an occasional car rental.  As you can imagine, I take my cycling very seriously, and quality, high output lighting is not just an accessory in my opinion; it's a necessity.

In addition to my use of these lights above (typically two tail lights as I describe above), I also have a headlight on my handlebar and a headlamp on my helmet. Specifically, I use a Minoura bracket that mounts in the headset stack on which I have a front blinky, and a Zebralight SC600w, and on my helmet I have a Zebralight H600w, both running on AW 3400 mah 18650's. At max output with both, I'm pushing a hair over 2,000 lumens. I've had people flash their brights at me even when I haven't had them on max... In fact, a couple of weeks ago, while out riding one night, someone coming the opposite direction flashed his brights at me. When I didn't lower my light he clicked his brights full on. I then clicked my lights to max. He quickly turned his lights back down!

The best part of the system I've got set up is the combination of run time and compactness I get (not to mention the output). With the 3400 mah cells, I get a full 2 hours of run time at max with each light. I usually run both at one of the lower settings (330 lumens) which by itself is usually plenty bright, and I get more than 4 hours of burn time on that setting. Each light is completely self contained with no external battery packs, and with the neutral emitters, none of that nasty blue tint I hate.

Here's how I have the SC600w mounted.

Here's now I have the H600w mounted to my helmet.

Nice lights . Aloha007. 

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 02:41:34 AM
 I'd love to have one of these on my handlebars

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=133&tid=28&cid=3#.VG_pSMnnbqA

:drool:

Edit

Fenix makes quite a few nice bike lights.

They have dual distance technology that lights up in front of the wheel and ahead on the road.

Neat

Quite a bit cheaper http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=15&tid=14&cid=3#.VG_sr8nnbqA
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:57:06 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 09:28:50 AM
I'd love to have one of these on my handlebars

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=133&tid=28&cid=3#.VG_pSMnnbqA

:drool:

Edit

Fenix makes quite a few nice bike lights.

They have dual distance technology that lights up in front of the wheel and ahead on the road.

Neat

Quite a bit cheaper http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=15&tid=14&cid=3#.VG_sr8nnbqA

That's the one... the 30. I've read a lot of good things about it, and based on that I'd say it's a much better choice than the 10 or the 20. Only real drawback to it is that it's a bit on the large side for a bike light. That said, 500 lumens for 5 hours is outstanding performance... add the neutral emitters, and it's a winner in my book. If I didn't already have a nice set-up, I'd definitely go for the BC30.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:30:21 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:46:18 AM
I've got a BC30 now; been using it for about a week. Best dedicated bike light I've ever used.

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 06:46:41 AM
I've got a BC30 now; been using it for about a week. Best dedicated bike light I've ever used.

Keep us posted.

My Chinese lights are still holding up ok.
Defend the Hive!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 06:36:03 PM
Right now I only have two cons about the light. First is the size and weight... it's fairly large and with cells it's somewhat heavy. Haven't actually weighed it, but it's pretty obvious once you pick it up. Second is the UI; it's click and hold to turn on, and single-click to change mode. I understand the logic of this, but I'm used to a different UI. Getting used to it isn't a problem though; I've got more than enough different flashlights with all kinds of different UIs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%