Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My First Fixed Blade

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
My First Fixed Blade
on: November 21, 2014, 05:44:59 PM
So I got my first fixed blade (not counting the Boker Cop Tool).

Its a pretty Boker Tunnel Rat
Got it at a discount as the store owner didn't want the discontinued to waste his space anymore :D
tunnel_rat.jpg
* tunnel_rat.jpg (Filesize: 170.84 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: My First Fixed Blade
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:28:32 PM
Whats the plan for this fixed blade?

I have been very much fixated ( :pok::D with fixed blades.  In California you can carry a fixed blade as long as it is out in the open.  It's a bit weird considering folding knives can be concealed.  I don't tuck in my shirts so I've been attaching mine to tool belt.  I find using a fixed blade to be pretty darn convenient especially when using my CRKT Minimalist.   
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:33:54 PM

Whats the plan for this fixed blade?

What he said.

And congrats on your first fixed blade. It looks nice, and boker makes great knives. :tu:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 07:36:32 PM
Well, I primarily will adore it...

No, seriously that is a fat blade that can tackle rough jobs, I'm sure. Its very sharp and the stone wash is gorgeous. I think I will take it on hiking trips.
It has a comfortable, three finger, grip but I don't like that the back of the blade is made smaller, as I like to rest my thumb there for control. However, I have to admit that I primarily bought it because it was cheap (20 bucks). I actually wanted a Boker Gnome.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:38:20 PM
Like the colours and unusual shape. Looks like it can take on some hard tasks.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 02:57:06 PM

No, seriously that is a fat blade that can tackle rough jobs, I'm sure. Its very sharp and the stone wash is gorgeous. I think I will take it on hiking trips.
It has a comfortable, three finger, grip but I don't like that the back of the blade is made smaller, as I like to rest my thumb there for control. However, I have to admit that I primarily bought it because it was cheap (20 bucks). I actually wanted a Boker Gnome.

THat's funny, because I am looking at  a Boker Gnome to use as a un-folding pocket knife. I have arthritis in my hands and sometimes opening a regular pocket knife is a pain, literally. I don't like the looks of the modern one hand folders, and besides, the small fixed blade is actually the more rugged of the two, being nothing to fold. Nothing to clean out either.

Boker has come out with a lot of very interesting small fixed blades in the past few years. I love the concept of a small but very tough pocket fixed blade. Or a fixed blade so small an innocent looking it can go on the belt without looking like you're playing Jim Bowie.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 03:46:05 PM
That is a nice looking blade.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 05:04:14 PM

THat's funny, because I am looking at  a Boker Gnome to use as a un-folding pocket knife. I have arthritis in my hands and sometimes opening a regular pocket knife is a pain, literally. I don't like the looks of the modern one hand folders, and besides, the small fixed blade is actually the more rugged of the two, being nothing to fold. Nothing to clean out either.

Boker has come out with a lot of very interesting small fixed blades in the past few years. I love the concept of a small but very tough pocket fixed blade. Or a fixed blade so small an innocent looking it can go on the belt without looking like you're playing Jim Bowie.

You are deadon.  A fixed blade is a terrifically handy and sturdy knife to have.  I know there are some that dont like the idea of a neck knife and I WAS one.  I continued to look at the offerings and settled on CRKT Minimalist and I couldn't be happier. 

I looked at Brous Silent Soldier and really didnt want to spend the money so I got the Minimalist.  Its a Folts designed knife that IMO is exceptionally executed.

I can OHR ( one hand remove ) and also one handedly replace.  The sheaths retention is spot on and I've not had a single worry about it falling out.  The blade was very sharp but I touched it up and WOW. 

What I like the best is the grip.  I have decently wide and big hands and the grip is outstanding for me.  The price was another factor TBH but the knife is just a wonderful tool and has me really looking at other little fixed blades. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:35:08 PM
That's cute, nice :tu:
My first fixed was a kbar, that and my grandfathers Boy Scout knife that I stold, that I think I have downstairs in the basement in a leather sheath with a Indian on it, the handle sucks I think I used electrical tape and wrapped it up.. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 06:43:37 PM
My first fixed was a kbar, that and my grandfathers Boy Scout knife that I stold, that I think I have downstairs in the basement in a leather sheath with a Indian on it, the handle sucks I think I used electrical tape and wrapped it up.. JR
I used to have a boy scout knife like this
pfadimesser.jpg
* pfadimesser.jpg (Filesize: 22.36 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 06:45:21 PM

You are deadon.  A fixed blade is a terrifically handy and sturdy knife to have.  I know there are some that dont like the idea of a neck knife and I WAS one.  I continued to look at the offerings and settled on CRKT Minimalist and I couldn't be happier. 

I looked at Brous Silent Soldier and really didnt want to spend the money so I got the Minimalist.  Its a Folts designed knife that IMO is exceptionally executed.

I can OHR ( one hand remove ) and also one handedly replace.  The sheaths retention is spot on and I've not had a single worry about it falling out.  The blade was very sharp but I touched it up and WOW. 

What I like the best is the grip.  I have decently wide and big hands and the grip is outstanding for me.  The price was another factor TBH but the knife is just a wonderful tool and has me really looking at other little fixed blades.
Wow, Borus makes pretty knifes... :drool:

Seriously, I love the Gnome and I will probably get one. But the Tunnel Rat was just so much cheaper :D
Its very cool, I hope I can take it to the forest tomorrow for some testing.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 06:54:28 PM
My lady just reminded me, that I'm a liar, I already have a fixed blade (I got it from her and use it with my medieval costume). :facepalm:
I also have a Swiss dagger (but the metal is so soft its useless).

finnenmesser_01.jpg
* finnenmesser_01.jpg (Filesize: 112.77 KB)
finnenmesser_02.jpg
* finnenmesser_02.jpg (Filesize: 142.71 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 06:57:53 PM
So it's not your first fixed blade! I don't have a pic of the knife, I was thinking of digging it out and taking the tape off to see what could be done, all I know is it's old and used! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 07:10:48 PM
So it's not your first fixed blade! I don't have a pic of the knife, I was thinking of digging it out and taking the tape off to see what could be done, all I know is it's old and used! JR
Well, that was a long time ago I had forgotten about it until you reminded me (and I don't have it anymore, though it could be stored somewhere at my parents). Anyway, I'm also had forgotten about my fin-knife :facepalm:. So I guess it was blade #3, shame on me. Albeit its my first "modern" blade.

But you know how it is, knifes, saks, mts and other tools are sneaky. Suddenly, you have dozens, without ever realizing you bought them.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 07:16:08 PM
Well, that was a long time ago I had forgotten about it until you reminded me (and I don't have it anymore, though it could be stored somewhere at my parents). Anyway, I'm also had forgotten about my fin-knife :facepalm:. So I guess it was blade #3, shame on me. Albeit its my first "modern" blade.

But you know how it is, knifes, saks, mts and other tools are sneaky. Suddenly, you have dozens, without ever realizing you bought them.
Yeah really, just like how they disappear just as fast, yet you never moved them! JR

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 07:38:26 PM
Not only is my fixed-blade-collection growing at an alarming rate, I already have a distinct sub-collection :ahhh

My Nordic-Knifes
Swedish and Finnish
finnknife_01.jpg
* finnknife_01.jpg (Filesize: 233.12 KB)

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 08:08:07 PM
Great looking knives you have there. All users?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 08:51:21 PM
Yes, all users, different occasions though. The fin-knife with birch sheath I carry on medieval fairs.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 09:05:53 PM
Yes, all users, different occasions though. The fin-knife with birch sheath I carry on medieval fairs.

Great user knife. How well do you know it? It is called Wood Jewel. They let you design your knife or get ready made.

If you wish to see their other products.

http://www.puukkopaja.fi/index.php?lang=en

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 09:15:24 PM

Great user knife. How well do you know it? It is called Wood Jewel. They let you design your knife or get ready made.

If you wish to see their other products.

http://www.puukkopaja.fi/index.php?lang=en
Yup, here you cannot make your own, but you can choose from a large selection, each different. Cuts really well too :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%