Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91/93mm OHT

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
91/93mm OHT
on: November 24, 2014, 06:20:13 AM
I really like my OHT (really like it).  It covers all the bases and is quite robust without being TOO big. That being said, it is a little too big for general urban life, I tend to use it more for outdoorsy and what not.  Last winter, when the shtf (or seemed to be), I chose my OHT over my other Saks and knives to me my main carry.  The locking screwdriver/prybar is what put it over the top.

I would love to see it shrunk down to the 91 or even better 93mm chasis.  I think the only thing that would need to be changed is that a new blade and liner lock would need to be created (maybe also the driver as well).  Due to the OHT scale layout being optimized for the liner lock and OH thumb layout, the lock on the 91/91mm would perhaps need protude a bit to be akin to the Wenger magglass or the scissors of the China fake saks. 

I know Syph made a OHO Electrician and someone else made another, so it can be done.  The backspring would need to be monkeyed around a bit (look at the OHT spring).  But Vic has the general design down pat (they have been improving the design for what, 15 years?), there is no reason it can't be miniaturized.   

Frankly, I think Vic, regarding knives, should focus on their core competency (swiss multitools) and lay off trying to make tactical/hunting folders as they made the mistake of doing last year.  A OHO sak would be great!

Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: 91/93mm OHT
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:26:50 AM
With the locking blade mechanism of the Delemont 85mm range, it might be less resource intensive to make one of those OHO.

I'm guessing even that a modder could do it 'fairly easily'. Whatever that means.

I'm not sure I'd want the bulk of the OHO thumb hole protruding out of a 91 or 93, or 85 for that matter, but that's me. I wonder if a more ergonomic thumbstud on the side of the blade could be done, and if that'd be a better route with the smaller frames.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 06:33:03 AM
What about a 93mm flipper? That would be super cool.  :)

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:22:46 AM
You could be right, an 85mm could possibly be adjusted more easily.  I was informed that the backspring on the 93mm is quite tough, so a mainblade mod would be quite difficult, but the weaker springs on the 85mm chasis might be preferable. 

But, the locking driver on the OHT is awesome, so I'd hate to lose that on account of the lock on the 85mm.  Plus the protruding lock may be an issue.  The left handed Wenger layout might be better?  Wenger made all kinds of zanny models, I am sure they considered a OHO 85mm.  I wonder why it never came to light?  It would literally be awesome if they had made one.     
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:24:42 AM by papercut »
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:36 PM
Don't have much to add here - but would be super keen to see the knife as suggested here - the oht shrunk. Would be happy with either 85/91/93 with the one handed opening and lock mechanism! :)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:31:45 PM
I ordered one from Syph, now its up to him to solve this riddle >:D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:07:48 AM
OMG... I want to know what he makes so bad. Guess I'll have to wait.

Time. My mortal enemy. :D

Offline collim1

Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 06:36:03 AM
Cool idea for sure.  I tried the 111mm Victorinox as a daily carry and just couldn't swing it.  Too big for the pocket and sheath carry is not always practical for me in the city.  Back to the Tinker I went, and now am pocket carrying a Farmer. 

Not sure if it could be pulled off though.  The 93mm knives are near perfection as far as I am concerned, it would be tough to add the OHO and lock and keep the knife as slim and pocket friendly as it is. 

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:30:17 AM
Adding a lock from Wenger S-series knives. It would keep 93mm knife slim. And with the backspring system, you can make wengers style locking bottle opener/screwdriver. Adding a notch, that pulls opener just little inside knife handle, locking could be added. You would release it by pulling opener, and turning it closed.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 02:21:22 PM
IMHO, though may be a personal prejudice, the 111mm OH series fits my hands perfectly :tu: :whistle:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 02:26:59 PM
IMHO, though may be a personal prejudice, the 111mm OH series fits my hands perfectly :tu: :whistle:
Hands, yes... pockets not so much ;)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 02:43:44 PM
I see what you did there :D

Honestly, I don't like the idea of a OHO 91 / 93mm SAK. It becomes less people friendly to begin with and also I don't see the necessity for one other than as a proof of concept. I ain't against though :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:47:21 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 03:21:50 PM
What about a 93mm flipper? That would be super cool.  :)
Hell yes it would be cool!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 11:09:21 PM
I see what you did there :D

:hatsoff:

I thought it was a good one.