Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which tool for the bike bag ...?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Which tool for the bike bag ...?
on: November 24, 2014, 07:14:55 PM
I bought myself a Topeak Hexus II when I got the new bike this weekend, and it seems to be a great little tool with everything needed for the bike, although I am probably going to add dedicated tyre levers to the bag (small Gelert rucksack) and also a head torch. However, I am a bit undecided as to what (if any) other multitool/s to throw in there for events unseen. I'm thinking pliers for digging thorns and stuff out of tyres, and possibly out of me  :ahhh :ahhh, but what else would be sensible to carry?

I could keep it as simple as a Mini Tool, or go right up to a Juice XE6. Although the Charge AL has a comprehensive bitset, I don't see that much weight/bulk needing to be carried. Spirit pliers would be a bit blunt for pulling bits out of the tyre tread I think, and I can't see me needing the crazy blade on the Rangergrip 90. What I want to do is chuck a tool in the bag and leave it there, so it will fall out of the "everyday" rota. I don't want to do that with my MP400 mod or Kick mod, so it would be a job for one of the lesser carried tools maybe  :think:

Here's a few options to pick from, but if I get swathes of people teling me I need "X" feature not included in this list, I might have something else to add to the candidates ...

Juice CS4
Juice XE6
Juice KF4
Mini Tool
Diesel
Wichard Tool (has slipjoint pliers - currently listed for sale, but I could withdraw it  :P )
Dime (I have several  >:D)
Micra/Squirt S4 (No pliers though ...)
Squirt P4
Gerber Balance (spare)
SOG Switchplier

any thoughts ...?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Re: Which tool for the bike bag ...?
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 07:46:53 PM
Well, this is a coincidence....
I'd more or less blanked the so-called bike MT's as nothing more than bloated junk.......but that all changed over the weekend.

My ride, a vintage GT Karakorum which I rescued after laying dormant in a outside coal house for the past decade (my younger brothers bike left at his previous rented house) was given a wash, tyres pumped up, missing chain replaced with a used chain, missing seat replaced, smashed middle chain wheel replaced and finally a good laugh trying to remove a seized seat post (after 2 days tugging, bashing, pulling it was drilled out with an appropriate size drill bit!).
Since then the bike has been used for my daily commute, I replaced the tyres for road tyres, fitted full length mudguards and hopefully this week will be fitting panniers too!

However the rear wheel was badly buckled, the brakes crap and the headset misaligned.

Last Friday I decided enough was enough and after watching countless YouTube videos set about sorting bits out.
I used to ride an awful lot years ago and still had my bumbag hung up in the garage. In it were a plethora of tools including an unusual tube tool. With that and a set of folding Allen keys and the obligatory bike spanner (yay!!) I completed all the tasks easily. The tubetool also contained the correct size spoke wrench which enabled me to true the wheels, although not perfect they are much much better.

If I could have found a little old bike shop I'd have taken it to be serviced, but most have now long since disappeared, replaced by the big modern cycle shops who simply love to coax you into upgrading to newer, better parts and in most cases a new bike!!. I'm just not that interested, I just want to save my pennies and peddle.

If it breaks I'll try and mend it  :tu:

Back to topic..
I don't think any of those you've listed will do Al if I'm honest.
You really need Allen keys, chainlink removing tool, flat & Pozi double ended driver and a bike spanner - that's it...Oh and a puncture repair kit too. :pok:  :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:12:02 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:35 PM
Back to topic..
I don't think any of those you've listed will do Al if I'm honest.
You really need Allen keys, chainlink removing tool, flat & Pozi double ended driver and a bike spanner - that's it...Oh and a puncture repair kit too. :pok:  :D

No bike spanner needed on mine mate. From a purely bike perspective, it's pretty much ALL covered by the Topeak Hexus II. All the Allen keys, the chain tool and assist hook,, flat, pozi, removable tyre levers and spoke wrenches - all in one. A very good tool actually, though I'm going to add a couple of extra/better tyre levers than just rely on those  ;)

I'll be carrying a head torch (Silva Ninox) and a couple of spare inner tubes (easier to do a straight swap at the roadside), a puncture kit would then only be needed if I get three flats in one trip ... possibly a mini first aid/boo boo kit too ... but I suppose this is more a question of what else have people encountered where they were really glad they had more than allen keys and spanners. I think pliers might be nice, but not really sure about anything else ...

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:13:32 PM
Here's what I carry, though I've removed the Compact and replaced it with a multi (Kick, Crunch, Rebar or Spirit generally).  I ought to get one to leave in the toolkit, but like you I can't decide which one. :ahhh

Duct tape
Puncture glue and sandpaper
Patches (traditional and self adhesive)
6" square of tyvek for patching cut tyres
Short length of chain and a quick link
Oil (in a takeaway sushi soy sauce bottle - enough to oil the chain twice, just)
6mm - 8mm Allen key adaptor
Spare chainring bolt
Spare SPD cleat bolt
Cable ties
Compact SAK
Crank Bros Multi 17 tool, cut down to remove the Phillips and flat drivers and the Allen keys I don't need
Tyre levers
Buff
Spare tube (one for short rides, two for commuting and longer rides)
Not shown: latex gloves, spare rear light

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:17:24 PM

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:20:25 PM
Cheers Chris  :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:59:48 AM
I also carry a Topeak Hexus II as well as the Schwalbe tyre levers hiraethus has (even though there are a couple of tyre levers on the Hexus) with a puncture repair kit.
If the only only thing you need is pliers... you could just get some cheap pliers? Although having a blade may come in handy for something.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:42 AM
How are you finding the Hexus? Is it working out for you?

Good point on the pliers. I've actually got a 4LN Vise Grip plier (4" long nose) which might fit the bill quite nicely  :think:

I've placed an order tonight for some extra bits. I've ordered a 60 Lux Smart light for the front and a 1/2 watt rear lamp as recomended by a friend of mine - similar to what he uses (though his is only 35 Lux), and they seem to fit what I need. I've also ordered a cheap water bottle and carrier, 2 inner tubes, and tyre levers. I think I might add a buff or bandana, and some duct tape and tie wraps as per hiraethus' kit too  :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 04:04:34 AM
I have hardly needed to use it to be honest. I haven't been riding this last year but before that I used to ride on a track in a pine forest just over the road and all I have really used it for is adjusting the seat and a mirror. The reason I bought it however is because my chain broke on a trip in the mountains miles from anywhere, which made getting back a bit difficult. My mate who runs a bike shop recommended it saying it has everything you need and nothing you don't (he could have tried to sell me a more expensive one he had). On that note I would add a short length of chain and quick link like in haerathus' picture.
It's probably a bit late now but I would make sure any cheap drink bottle is safe and the plastic doesn't break down (BPA free) - I stopped using a couple of my old ones as they make the water taste nasty, god knows what chemicals you are ingesting.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 07:33:16 AM
I usually carry a Micra or one of those Lidl bike multitool sets. They are good for the odd minor adjustment (saddle, a loose screw..)

I think it will be more likely you will need to repair a puncture, rather than do serious maintenance on the bike.

It all depends on how far your are cycling, for how long, the road surface, whether you are alone (if your companion carries tools you will not need to)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 01:58:10 PM
I have hardly needed to use it to be honest. I haven't been riding this last year but before that I used to ride on a track in a pine forest just over the road and all I have really used it for is adjusting the seat and a mirror. The reason I bought it however is because my chain broke on a trip in the mountains miles from anywhere, which made getting back a bit difficult. My mate who runs a bike shop recommended it saying it has everything you need and nothing you don't (he could have tried to sell me a more expensive one he had). On that note I would add a short length of chain and quick link like in haerathus' picture.
It's probably a bit late now but I would make sure any cheap drink bottle is safe and the plastic doesn't break down (BPA free) - I stopped using a couple of my old ones as they make the water taste nasty, god knows what chemicals you are ingesting.

:tu:

I'll look into that chain topic as it's not something I'm too familiar with (never repaired one), and it's on the list of stuff to learn about. The drinks bottle was from a reputable bike shop and only £1, so I'm assuming it's BPA free etc, but if it needs upgrading I've not lost much  :salute:

I usually carry a Micra or one of those Lidl bike multitool sets. They are good for the odd minor adjustment (saddle, a loose screw..)

I think it will be more likely you will need to repair a puncture, rather than do serious maintenance on the bike.

It all depends on how far your are cycling, for how long, the road surface, whether you are alone (if your companion carries tools you will not need to)

Punctures will be covered (hopefully) by the spares tubes I have on the way, and to start off with I dont expect to be going much distance. I'm hoping to build it up over time though. Terrain will vary through good roads, poor roads, and unpaved tracks (canal towpaths and woodland paths). I'm not interested in going fast or setting time trials for myself, just getting "there and back" (wherever there may be) comfortably and safely on my own.

Short term - boatyard and back (4 to 5 mile round trip) 
Medium term - family 10 miles away (there and back in a day)
Long term - Friends 25 miles away (with overnight stay before return trip)
All of these are a wide mix of terrain.

That's really about as ambitious as I'm planning to be honest  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 02:01:30 PM
It will be funny if the ideal tool is one you just sold....  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 02:04:47 PM
 :rofl:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 02:09:36 PM
If you're looking to learn about fixing the bike yourself, you should take a look at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ (an eclectic mix of informative and interesting articles about all sorts of bike related topics) and http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help (lots of in depth maintenance and repair info).

They're not that complicated, but some of the 'features' of bikes can be confusing.  Good luck!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 02:37:04 PM
Thanks. I'll check those out  :tu:

us Offline getahl

Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 03:42:53 AM
If you're looking to learn about fixing the bike yourself, you should take a look at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ (an eclectic mix of informative and interesting articles about all sorts of bike related topics) and http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help (lots of in depth maintenance and repair info).

They're not that complicated, but some of the 'features' of bikes can be confusing.  Good luck!
Shoot, I should take a look at those. I have a mountain bike that may as well be a cruiser. The chain came off the middle gear of the large derailleur, and I can't get it to stay back on. When I shift, it goes straight from the large gear to the small, and nothing I do can get it back. I'm tired of spending $40 every time I bung something up and can't fix it.

On a related note, the only MT I ever carry in my bike's tool bag is a small plier based multi, for thorns. The Style PS I used to have worked great.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 02:08:19 PM
I have found that a baseball bat works great for fixing bike problems. When you bike breaks down the next time, just wait with the bat in your hands. Somebody with a nicer will pass by sooner or later.
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
 :rofl:

00 Offline cool123

Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 08:37:20 AM
I prefer to keep a Swiss army pocket knife which performs almost all the work in case of any survival situations. They seems to be easy to carry for everyday outdoors as well.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 04:34:48 PM

For the past few months when I ride, I have kept a Vic Super Tinker and a pair of cheapo slipjoint pliers in my bike bag and have been okay.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 10:17:01 PM
This looks interesting:
http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/survival-emergency-gear/pp_132898.html[/url]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 11:44:49 PM
It's certainly cheap  :D Not something that would be suited for my bike, but might be useful for someone to add wrenches and bits to their carried tool array though

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD