Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

torch for walking

tosh · 15 · 1465

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
torch for walking
on: November 24, 2014, 09:24:33 PM
First time I've posted in this section ( I think?)
With the arrival of the dark nights -  I forget just how dark it gets. I'm looking for a small pocketable torch with a very wide beam to light where I'm walking (dog mess is a massive problem where I live - I'll not rant about what I'd love to do to the lazy owners) needless to say I've no interest in floodlighting the local woods, which always seems to be the test of a good torch..... :think:

I just want something that carries comfortably when walking   i.e arms relaxed by my sides not raised up. Therefore the ideal torch will have only a few feet to throw a wide beam of white light hopefully stretching out 10-15 feet in front. I don't need hi - lo- pulse, just simple on - off will suffice.

Does such a torch exist??
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: torch for walking
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:59:51 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Coast-PX25-208-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B005Z29TK0

This is what I've been using the last two years and I enjoy it very much. Bright simple cheap and durable. Run time is pretty respectable in real world useage as well.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:15:44 PM
I think if all you want to do is avoid puddles, dog crap, and find that (whatever) that you just dropped, something like a Nitecore T0 or Gerber Tempo is perfectly fine. It's low on lumens, but fine to walk by (adequately illuminates the whole passageway on terraced houses), and being low power the runtime is reasonable too. The 5mm LED rather than a Cree emitter leaves it nice and floody as well. I have used mine a fair bit in various places, so the batteries in my lights are at their peak, yet still throwing light 15 ft comfortably. They're just AAA lights which you might put on your keys. If you wanted something a little larger in hand, I'm sure you can get similar lights in AA format .... Gerber Infinity (possibly)  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:20:42 PM
If you wear a baseball cap, I suggest the Olight S10-L2. It has a 5 lumen mode and a great clip that can be used to attach it to your cap.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:22:05 PM
Gerber Infinity are fantastic lights as is the Fenix E01 :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 12:14:22 AM
As usual I would suggest a Zebralight. The ergonomics are great for your needs as well if you want to hold it in a normal position while walking.

Every time you guys call it a torch I just think of this. This is a torch in the states.  :D

http://www.channelcast.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/flaming-torch.jpg
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 01:17:05 AM
Every time you guys call it a torch I just think of this. This is a torch in the states.  :D
Wow, don't you guys have electric torches over there? Still living in the Dark Ages with your Imperial System etc huh?  ;)

Now you know how I feel about the rest of the world calling kiwifruit "kiwis".  >:(

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 01:21:18 AM
Wow, don't you guys have electric torches over there? Still living in the Dark Ages with your Imperial System etc huh?  ;)

Now you know how I feel about the rest of the world calling kiwifruit "kiwis".  >:(

But...but...but... They are called Kiwis.  :D
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 02:38:09 AM
No, I'm a Kiwi!  :twak:  Named after the bird: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 07:26:57 AM
I think you need to specify run time too.

If you only need it for 20-30 minutes then an AAA Fenix, Olight, Tank007  should be enough. They have some very bright and lght torches, with floody beams.

For longer walks then an 1AA or 2AA light will be better (Jetbeam, fenix etc)

Also have a look at the LED Maglites.

If you want to

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 07:44:50 AM
What you want is some variation of this...

At between $3 and $5 from many different sellers possibly the highest bang for buck torch/flashlight you can get. I have at least three of them around the house and gave my GF one too.
Come in single mode and hi/low/strobe. Quite decent runtime on a single AA.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 10:52:50 AM
For walking, a LedLenser P5.2 is great. Very floody, tightens to spotlight mode in a second. Purplish tint, I don't mind that. 5 hours till it gets down to one (1) lumen though (now that's precise) :rant: 1 X AA, alkalines only.

A Fenix LD12 is compact, takes lithium primaries or rechargeable batteries (1 x AA) , it's floody and also throwy, long runtimes, 3-30-65-125 lumens + hidden disco modes (SOS and strobe).

Having said all that I saw something like this in a shop,

(Image removed from quote.)
with a quick focus twisty system, too, that looked promising based on specs provided on packaging. 'Not going to burn 30€ to find out though.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 01:14:36 PM
Thanks to everyone for giving me some ideas, I'll check which of the above are available here in the UK and what prices they are. Don't want to spend ore than £20.
The torch is just for collecting my young son from after school clubs at night. But I may get 2 - one for my partner who has to walk along a lonely quiet road to get to the car after work.

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 01:32:21 PM
Thanks to everyone for giving me some ideas, I'll check which of the above are available here in the UK and what prices they are. Don't want to spend ore than £20.
The torch is just for collecting my young son from after school clubs at night. But I may get 2 - one for my partner who has to walk along a lonely quiet road to get to the car after work.

If you shop around for such as the Nitecore T0 or Fenix E01, you might be able to get a pair for £20 delivered ...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 08:56:18 PM
This seems like a good deal: $5.99

http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/led-flashlights/pp_33495.html[/url]

coupon GBSF348
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%