Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Easy ways to sharpen scissors.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
on: November 28, 2014, 01:25:32 AM
So apparently their are a few very easy ways to sharpen scissors. The two I would think would be the easiest are sand paper and aluminum foil. Simple cut them until sharp.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sharpen-Scissors
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Re: Easy ways to sharpen scissors.
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 01:33:28 AM
Interesting. I've got a few pairs of cheap scissors that I can experiment with. Will have to give some of those a try and see how they stack up. I usually just use the triangle rods from my Sharpmaker and free-hand the blades. Has worked well for me so far.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:58:25 AM
Interesting. I've got a few pairs of cheap scissors that I can experiment with. Will have to give some of those a try and see how they stack up. I usually just use the triangle rods from my Sharpmaker and free-hand the blades. Has worked well for me so far.

Perfect. Definitely try the aluminum foil and sandpaper if you can and let us know how it goes.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 03:28:54 AM

Perfect. Definitely try the aluminum foil and sandpaper if you can and let us know how it goes.  :tu:

I'll be interested in the test results as well, but color me skeptical of those two methods.  If that action served to sharpen scissors, they would never have gotten dull cutting paper in the first place, right?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 03:39:13 AM
You can sharpen scissors on your Sharpmaker!  :)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 04:52:23 AM
I too usually use sharpmaker, but I really rarely need to do that.

I too will be interested/skeptical in how scissoring various object will sharpen the scissors itself...especially cutting the sharp object like glass, wouldn't that create blur which makes it dull?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 05:03:44 AM

I'll be interested in the test results as well, but color me skeptical of those two methods.  If that action served to sharpen scissors, they would never have gotten dull cutting paper in the first place, right?

No, because paper is soft and could never sharpen the steel. The sand paper and aluminum foil are abrasive and one is a metal which could actually sharpen.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 06:34:00 AM
I might have to try this out. I'm very skeptical of all methods short of using a whetstone and even then it looked like he was sharpening the side with out the grind..

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 06:43:47 AM

I'm also sceptical

I normally put them in a vice and draw-file the blades
Everything’s adjustable

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 06:58:38 AM
I sharpen them on a bench stone.  :)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 07:12:00 AM
I am skeptical as well and would love to hear any results that come from anyone that tries. Actually I have some scissors and tin foil right here. I will report back in a few.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 07:23:07 AM
I gave it a go real quick and believe I know what is happening, but it is just a theory. I will try to explain what I think is happening as best as I can. The scissors I tested were not particularly dull to begin with, but did not cut like new either.

I do not think the tin foil method is sharpening the scissors per se, but rather deforming the edge on both sides a bit. Basically deforming the edge slightly into each other as to "close the gap" and make the fit tighter between the two blades. When you use the scissors it removes the excess on the edge and gives the blades a tighter fit which actually appeared to make my scissors cut cleaner.

This is just what I think might be happening. My scissors do appear to cut slightly cleaner, but honestly it is very hard to tell especially since my scissors were not particularly dull to begin with. I do not think this method would work on very dull scissors anyways, but if someone wants to give it a go that would be good.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 07:28:08 AM
I am generally sceptical of the self-sharpening claims made by some manufacturers.

I have heard of the sandpaper and foil method but never used them.

Usually I just use a small stone/file.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 08:32:59 AM
I am generally sceptical of the self-sharpening claims made by some manufacturers.

I have heard of the sandpaper and foil method but never used them.

Usually I just use a small stone/file.

I wonder that sometimes for the Wenger scissors, I think they are claimed to be self sharpening, but I never use them enough to the point of needing sharpening.  Can anyone regular Wenger users testify this is true?

Offline shecky

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 11:51:14 PM
Oddly enough, I think method five, as shown, would probably be the best method.

The stone is a perfectly acceptable and traditional way to sharpen scissors. But sharpening the inside grinds of the blades the way the pictures show,  is an easy way to screw up any pair of scissors by helping ensure the cutting edges not meet as the blades are closed. Its not that scissors can't be sharpened at last partly this way. But it takes pretty extreme attention to detail and possibly readjustment of the pivot and curvature of the blades.  Furthermore, matching that angle can be difficult, as  inside grinds are often hollow ground. If one is to use a stone, it's much safer to grind the outside facing bevels.

The sandpaper/foil methods are similar, relying on abrading the cutting edges so that they offer a rougher edge than before. However, the abrasion starts at the edge and continues on the inside blade grinds, the same problem with sharpening via whetstone as shown.

The glass method is similar to steeling. In the case of scissors, pre existing angles will tend to steel the edges of each blade toward each other. The deformation not only encourages  formation of a sharper edge, it also helps set the edges such that they are biased toward meeting each other as they are closed. Both characteristics crucial to ensuring scissors remain sharp.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 12:32:01 AM
Captain, the tinfoil method does not work with dull scissors, I tried it with my tough chip to no avail
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 01:00:48 AM
I use Gerber's diamond sharpening rod.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 17.39 KB)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 01:11:12 AM
Captain, the tinfoil method does not work with dull scissors, I tried it with my tough chip to no avail

Thanks for the info.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 02:18:41 AM
Tin foil works great on dollar store bait and SAK scissors. I use the 12 degree setting on my Sharpmaker  for my good scissors.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 03:43:10 AM
I use either a file or stones to sharpen scissors.  I have never heard of the foil or sandpaper method. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline afinitaln

Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 12:29:52 PM
I use a worksharp for all of my tool and general knife sharpening http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/featured-products-home-knife/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

Will sharpen your scissors to razors with very little effort

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 10:17:44 AM

I'm also sceptical

I normally put them in a vice and draw-file the blades

No reflection on the Capt but they give bad infomation when they show how to use the oil stone,
thats just wrong!  :dwts:

This is how I do it,
you can also use an oil stone or 'sand paper' glued to a wood batten

Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68