Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

firiki's flashlight frenzy - A few reflections

firiki · 38 · 3205

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
on: November 28, 2014, 07:33:03 PM
Most of my life I've had just a 2 x AA incadescent MiniMag as my main torch, sometimes accompanied by generic fauxtons or other indifferent stuff as my main light to keep the Maglite going in case of need.

Well, -partly- thanks to MTO  :twak:, that has changed since last year when I gradually started upgrading my gear. Progress is a really slow process, especially if I'm involved :D however back-ups are crucial, that's what I told myself and got on with it.

In this thread I will be presenting some thoughts on several of the lights I acquired during this time. This should keep me busy for a while.

Today's menu is a group shot and EDC lights. #8 Opinel and alox Pionner are supposed to serve as size reference:

From left to right, or from shortest to longest there's a Fenix E01, a Fenix LD09, a Fenix LD12, a Led Lenser P5.2, a 2 X AAA LED MiniMaglite, a Fenix PD32 and a Fenix LD22. I guess you can tell I favour Fenix lights. A correction, the MiniMag is taller that the PD32 but I was careless during the photo session. The models kept distracting me, not my fault.

Then there are my EDC lights, LD12 in my bag and the LD09 I got yesterday for pocket carry.

There's also the E01:

Now, I love these torches for a number of reasons. Before I go on, I feel I must say I think LED flashlights can be seen as modern torches since the way LED light bounces off the ceiling when one is indoors creates a torch-like effect. Perhaps I'm weird, I hear that a lot.

The first thing I like about these lights is their long runtime. I will always go for long runtimes of useable light. I find that these three torches meet that requirement more than satisfactorily.

The E01, LD09 and LD12 also meet another requirement, the one of being dependable. They certainly feel like they are. I haven't tested them thouroughly yet but judging by the ab-use the E01 has got through unscathed, I have little reason to believe they won't withstand normal everyday use.

The three of them are also very pocket-friendly and take commonly available batteries, both of which are very important to me.

Sadly, that's all for today. I'll have to continue another time. I haven't posted this thread in the Reviews forum since it will comprise many different torches. Maybe I should have :think: ?

:salute:

EDC.jpg
* EDC.jpg (Filesize: 195.58 KB)
E01.jpg
* E01.jpg (Filesize: 213.13 KB)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:24:05 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: firiki's flashlight frenzy - A few reflections
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:39:24 PM
Looking forward to updates on this. I have a slight flashlight addiction as well. ;)

BTW, your first picture was linked to the thread you edited so it's broken now. You can email it to me and I'll reattach it here. :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 10:22:18 PM
Nice line up there mate :)

You can't go wrong with Fenix's :tu:

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:36:02 PM
I've just started buying Fenix again. Had a little sideways detour to EagleTac and Nitecore, but now preferring Fenix again.

Recently added 3 x PD32, 2 E05 SS and a TK12.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:42:50 PM
:cheers: fellows. This is my first attempt to do a proper-ish review and I need time to think. I hope I won't disappoint.

@enki_ck: Yes, I'll send you that picture. Thank you :salute:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:46:57 PM
For the time being: Blue LED inventors win Nobel prize in Physics  :tu: I love LEDs.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2014/press.html

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 04:19:13 PM
MTO couldn't introduce me to flashlights. As an amateur astroobserver I prefer the dark, otherwise a low red light. I even keep my tablets illumination at the lowest level.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 04:28:55 PM
MTO couldn't introduce me to flashlights. As an amateur astroobserver I prefer the dark, otherwise a low red light. I even keep my tablets illumination at the lowest level.
Lemme see if I can change that  ;) . You need a good light to get you to quiet spots for star gazing, isn't it so?

I prefer low settings on screens also, otherwise my eyes get tired soon. With flashlights it's different though.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 04:43:41 PM
We go at evening and then wait an hour to get dark and achieve night vision (σκοτοψία) and leave in the early morning.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:47:10 PM by kkokkolis »

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 05:19:41 PM
I've been a fan of Fenix forever :D Those lights CAN take a beating. I've used a E01 since 2011 when I first got into lights... and it was my first proper light :D Then I've had some more, E11, LD12 I've been also using for a bit over than a year on a daily basis. I've had also the LD05, E25, E05.... sold them later because I just had too many.

Two words describe the Fenix lights: they work.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 05:42:40 PM
Good thread.  I also have a PD32 and find it a terrific light.  It's my only fenix but I wouldn't hesitate to get another of their offerings. 
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline firiki

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 09:59:49 PM
We go at evening and then wait an hour to get dark and achieve night vision (σκοτοψία) and leave in the early morning.
You never know when a good flashlight might come in handy though  :whistle:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 10:01:53 PM
I've been a fan of Fenix forever :D Those lights CAN take a beating. I've used a E01 since 2011 when I first got into lights... and it was my first proper light :D Then I've had some more, E11, LD12 I've been also using for a bit over than a year on a daily basis. I've had also the LD05, E25, E05.... sold them later because I just had too many.

Two words describe the Fenix lights: they work.
Thanks, it's good to know. I'm new to flashlights but Fenix strikes me as very good value for money :tu: Time will tell though.

:ahhh :D

gr Offline firiki

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 10:04:29 PM
Good thread.  I also have a PD32 and find it a terrific light.  It's my only fenix but I wouldn't hesitate to get another of their offerings.
Ahh, the PD32  :dd: If only it weren't powered by CR123 cells :drool:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 10:05:22 PM
Today, my somewhat new EDC torch combo was needed and it worked as expected. Here is how it proved useful and a few thoughts on why this combo was put together in the first place.

I was visiting my grandma when the whole block’s lights went out. Without thinking, I reached for the LD09 I carry clipped to my left front pocket. I turned it on then stood up and pulled out my precious little E01, turned that on too, left it on the table then went to look for a candle. There wasn’t one to be found because Granny K. is 95 years old and senile which means that one moment she’s herself then the next she’s 40, or 12 and generally lost somewhere inside her head so we’ve removed the candles and the oil lamps she’d use five or six years ago. Sometimes she comes to herself quickly, other times not so much.

When the lights went out she wasn’t herself and so she could have been frightened. She wasn’t, though I’m not sure if this is because the old veteran of life wouldn’t sweat it much or because she didn’t have the time to think about it. I acted fast enough for the little light to gain her admiration and help her make a connection with reality. She commented twice on how well the E01 lit the room where we sat waiting -roughly 4 meters by 6- and she seemed genuinely impressed.

I decided I’d wait a little since power cuts are usually restored quickly so we sat there chatting. After a quarter of the hour I decided to go check with the building’s superintendent to see if he had reported the power cut. I left Granny K. waiting with the E01 and headed off. The LD09 was very good at lighting my way three flights of stairs up and to end of the corridor and then back. News was it’d take them around two hours. It took them another quarter of the hour in the end. 

In conclusion, I am very fond of my floody little E01, I’d have a hard time changing it for something else. Due to its portability, I see it as my tactical, electrical pocket candle or my tactical, electrical mini-torch. It’s good at illuminating an area nearby just enough for me to see clearly a good few times my arm’s reach (even with some ambient light provided it isn’t raining heavily or there’s fog or a bright source of light around) and it does that even better when used indoors. 

Depending on various conditions though, the E01 will be insufficient. This could be because I need a light with more throw so I can walk at a quick pace in complete darkness if needed or simply because I need to keep one area lit and be able to move to another. The LD09 with its three settings enables me to cover both these cases whether used indoors or outdoors. It’s slightly cream yellowish tint is comfortable for my eyes. The only thing I’d change on the LD09’s beam would be to make the hotspot a little wider. The way it is now it becomes too intense for work up close even at the lowest setting but that’s where the E01 comes into play.

The LD09’s pocket clip deserves a special mention. It is tight but nothing like the darker ones found on the LD12, LD22 and PD32. Those ones strike me as too tight, which I find both pleasing and a nuisance as I feel they’ll probably rip my pocket apart at some point. On the contrary, the LD09’s clip makes the light very easy to use as it sits securely in my pocket but it can be removed without fear of tearing my pocket apart. The only time I dropped the LD09 (on tiles, no trouble whatsoever) the clip got caught on my bag as I was putting it down but it is completely my fault. I love the LD09’s pocket clip; it is an integral part of a very “pocketable” torch/flashlight.

In fact, other than this light the only thing I’ve ever carried clipped to my pocket was a pen and I stopped that because of ink blots.   

Next stop, a review of the LD12 that I carry in my bag as a back-up to my pocket carried lights and a comparison between Fenix E01, LD09 and LD12.

Sorry for the long post.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:23:11 PM by firiki »

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 11:55:13 PM

Get some 18650 cells and charger. It'll open up a whole new world of lights.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 02:54:07 PM

Get some 18650 cells and charger. It'll open up a whole new world of lights.
Thank you for your suggestion. Could you elaborate a bit, please?

At present my PD32 is stored in the car. I'm thinking about changing that though, because the truth is I don't trust CR123s enough. We get really high temperatures here in the summer and humidity is always an issue in the cooler months. Also, I read on CPF about the accident a member there who's also a member here on MT.O had with CR123s and it was highly disconcerting. 

Reading that pushed me to look into protected Li-Ions, by 18650 you mean those, right? My problem with those is I don't want to be monitoring them all the time nor have them explode. I realise there are many benefits in using them frequently and carefully but is it worth it for infrequent use? I guess I could replace the LD12 I carry in my bag with the PD32 :think: :ahhh

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 03:53:06 PM
I have 3 PD32's and a TK09. All 4 operate using protected Li-ion 18650 batteries. They see varying degrees of use and I've never had a problem with the batteries.

I only use quality 18650 cells, all mine are by Eagletac - they use Panasonic cells. I also use a high quality charger, a Pila IBC. I never monitor the batteries or check their voltage.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 04:45:24 PM
I've got to agree with your analysis of the LD09. :tu: Have had mine for 3 months now and, other than occasional use of my E05 or Tank007 PA01, it's been in my pockets the whole time.  On low it's fine for close up use and reading, and on high it makes an acceptable backup light for when I'm on my bike.  Really like the fact that it comes on in medium mode too - not too bright, not too dim and is easy to change levels.  I run mine on Panasonic 2450 mAh Eneloop Pros and need to change batteries once a month or so - I seem to use the light a few times a day.  It's starting to look nicely weathered from being in my pocket, I've just started using the clip again to free up a little room in the bottom of my pockets.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 05:37:30 PM
Today, my somewhat new EDC torch combo was needed and it worked as expected. Here is how it proved useful and a few thoughts on why this combo was put together in the first place.

I was visiting my grandma when the whole block’s lights went out. Without thinking, I reached for the LD09 I carry clipped to my left front pocket. I turned it on then stood up and pulled out my precious little E01, turned that on too, left it on the table then went to look for a candle. There wasn’t one to be found because Granny K. is 95 years old and senile which means that one moment she’s herself then the next she’s 40, or 12 and generally lost somewhere inside her head so we’ve removed the candles and the oil lamps she’d use five or six years ago. Sometimes she comes to herself quickly, other times not so much.

When the lights went out she wasn’t herself and so she could have been frightened. She wasn’t, though I’m not sure if this is because the old veteran of life wouldn’t sweat it much or because she didn’t have the time to think about it. I acted fast enough for the little light to gain her admiration and help her make a connection with reality. She commented twice on how well the E01 lit the room where we sat waiting -roughly 4 meters by 6- and she seemed genuinely impressed.

I decided I’d wait a little since power cuts are usually restored quickly so we sat there chatting. After a quarter of the hour I decided to go check with the building’s superintendent to see if he had reported the power cut. I left Granny K. waiting with the E01 and headed off. The LD09 was very good at lighting my way three flights of stairs up and to end of the corridor and then back. News was it’d take them around two hours. It took them another quarter of the hour in the end. 

In conclusion, I am very fond of my floody little E01, I’d have a hard time changing it for something else. Due to its portability, I see it as my tactical, electrical pocket candle or my tactical, electrical mini-torch. It’s good at illuminating an area nearby just enough for me to see clearly a good few times my arm’s reach (even with some ambient light provided it isn’t raining heavily or there’s fog or a bright source of light around) and it does that even better when used indoors. 

Depending on various conditions though, the E01 will be insufficient. This could be because I need a light with more throw so I can walk at a quick pace in complete darkness if needed or simply because I need to keep one area lit and be able to move to another. The LD09 with its three settings enables me to cover both these cases whether used indoors or outdoors. It’s slightly cream yellowish tint is comfortable for my eyes. The only thing I’d change on the LD09’s beam would be to make the hotspot a little wider. The way it is now it becomes too intense for work up close even at the lowest setting but that’s where the E01 comes into play.

The LD09’s pocket clip deserves a special mention. It is tight but nothing like the darker ones found on the LD12, LD22 and PD32. Those ones strike me as too tight, which I find both pleasing and a nuisance as I feel they’ll probably rip my pocket apart at some point. On the contrary, the LD09’s clip makes the light very easy to use as it sits securely in my pocket but it can be removed without fear of tearing my pocket apart. The only time I dropped the LD09 (on tiles, no trouble whatsoever) the clip got caught on my bag as I was putting it down but it is completely my fault. I love the LD09’s pocket clip; it is an integral part of a very “pocketable” torch/flashlight.

In fact, other than this light the only thing I’ve ever carried clipped to my pocket was a pen and I stopped that because of ink blots.   

Next stop, a review of the LD12 that I carry in my bag as a back-up to my pocket carried lights and a comparison between Fenix E01, LD09 and LD12.

Sorry for the long post.

No need to say sorry, we do like a good story of gear coming to the rescue. :tu:  It always helps me justify carrying more than one light at a time when I read things like this. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 10:16:47 AM
Honestly, most of the time I say to myself that carrying two lights on my person is an overkill. This incident reminded me one of the reasons I was looking for a pocket-friendly torch, brighter than the E01 :tu: Stay tuned for more details.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 12:40:22 PM
Two lights on your person is overkill.

You should be much more sane like me. One in my work vest, one in my laptop bag, three in the truck.....

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 06:09:25 PM
Honestly, most of the time I say to myself that carrying two lights on my person is an overkill. This incident reminded me one of the reasons I was looking for a pocket-friendly torch, brighter than the E01 :tu: Stay tuned for more details.

Two lights is overkill??  Not hardly!  I NEVER go with any less than three, and here lately it's been 4 or 5.  Let's go with 4 for the sake of argument: everyone who know me knows that I carry a flashlight, so it's not uncommon for one of them (esp. my dad) to borrow one - that leaves me three.  Then what if I need one?  Down to two.  What if the batteries die in the one I'm using (I've actually had this happen)?  Down to one spare, or none of I only had three.  So IMHO, two ain't even close to overkill.

P. S. - Looking forward to your review of the LD12, as it's pretty high on my want list. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:11:21 PM by Yaesu Man »
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 12:14:32 AM
Wow, you must REALLY be afraid of the dark!

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 10:57:22 AM
I have 3 PD32's and a TK09. All 4 operate using protected Li-ion 18650 batteries. They see varying degrees of use and I've never had a problem with the batteries.

I only use quality 18650 cells, all mine are by Eagletac - they use Panasonic cells. I also use a high quality charger, a Pila IBC. I never monitor the batteries or check their voltage.
Thank you for the info. I believe you and I'm reassured. I guess my real, mathematically severely challenged question is if I can guesstimate runtimes with some accuracy using 18650s, without special care?

My crude way of guesstimating runtimes as we speak ==> Fenix says 10 hours on medium on alkalines? Fine. Because the condition of the cells cannot be anticipated and because manufacturers can make exaggerated claims, I'll see anything more than five hours as a bonus. In my mind I treat lithium primaries as alkalines...  :-[

gr Offline firiki

Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 11:12:55 AM
I've got to agree with your analysis of the LD09. :tu: Have had mine for 3 months now and, other than occasional use of my E05 or Tank007 PA01, it's been in my pockets the whole time.  On low it's fine for close up use and reading, and on high it makes an acceptable backup light for when I'm on my bike.  Really like the fact that it comes on in medium mode too - not too bright, not too dim and is easy to change levels.  I run mine on Panasonic 2450 mAh Eneloop Pros and need to change batteries once a month or so - I seem to use the light a few times a day.  It's starting to look nicely weathered from being in my pocket, I've just started using the clip again to free up a little room in the bottom of my pockets.
I first noticed the LD09 in a pic of it you posted next to a Pioneer :tu: It made me realise it is very compact. I agree, the low on it is good for close up work and reading. Just that, I have a notion that the hotspot on mine may be a tad narrower that it should. The one they had open at the shop as a sample definitely had a broader hotspot. I like the Medium-Low-High sequence too and I find the pocket clip very useful.

You people are going to make me start looking into rechargeable cells  :ahhh

gr Offline firiki

Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 11:31:03 AM
Two lights on your person is overkill.

You should be much more sane like me. One in my work vest, one in my laptop bag, three in the truck.....

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
For some reason I remembered the time, about ten years ago, when me and two other blokes went camping in nature for a few days.

One of them brought along a backgammon set. The other one had hauled an inflatable sea matress with velvety surface and a foot pump. Guess who was the weirdo that went camping and brought a light and a knife with him.

Did I draw some conclusions during our stay there! One of those conclusions even regarded flashlights; I realised that sometimes having just one light is not enough.

:drink:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 11:46:57 AM

Two lights is overkill??  Not hardly!  I NEVER go with any less than three, and here lately it's been 4 or 5.  Let's go with 4 for the sake of argument: everyone who know me knows that I carry a flashlight, so it's not uncommon for one of them (esp. my dad) to borrow one - that leaves me three.  Then what if I need one?  Down to two.  What if the batteries die in the one I'm using (I've actually had this happen)?  Down to one spare, or none of I only had three.  So IMHO, two ain't even close to overkill.

P. S. - Looking forward to your review of the LD12, as it's pretty high on my want list.
I hear ya! My take on EDC lights is I need at least two.

The E01 is kind of my "personal space light" and also the one I'll lend if something brighter isn't needed. That leaves me with the need of a more versatile light, still compact enough to be carried on my person, that could take care of both my personal space needs as well as the need to move around.

Then there's the LD12* I carry in by bag because you never know what might happen. Not to mention I think I need something more for the car, other than the PD32 and a 2 x AA Mini-Mag Incandescent  :ahhh

*We'll get to that, promise. This is my first review, any suggestions are welcome.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 01:56:00 PM
You people are going to make me start looking into rechargeable cells  :ahhh

They're very good. :pok:  I do still use Energizer Lithiums when low weight, non-leakage or very occasional use dictate but for almost everything else (lights, toys, GPS, gadgets) I use Hybrio/Eneloops.  A decent charger with dishcarge/refresh functions and a trickle mode makes them a snap to use.  Cheaper and more environmentally sound in the long run too. :tu:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 09:23:30 PM
I know I haven't done any actual reviews yet. I'm working on it. These things take a little time. As for beamshots...  :facepalm: we'll see...

I'm also considering the benefits of rechargeable cells. The eco-friendly part alone is good enough a reason.

@Yaesu Man, I seem to recall you getting a LD12. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Personally, I'm still on the fence; I don't know if I really like it or if I feel slightly disappointed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD