Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

firiki's flashlight frenzy - A few reflections

firiki · 38 · 3211

us Offline Yaesu Man

Re: firiki's flashlight frenzy - A few reflections
Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 10:20:34 PM
@Yaesu Man, I seem to recall you getting a LD12. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Personally, I'm still on the fence; I don't know if I really like it or if I feel slightly disappointed.

I've had mine for a little over a month now and so far I'm really liking it.  It developed issues a couple weeks after I got it, but after messing with the tail cap it seems to be doing fine now; although Fenix CS was more than willing to take it back for repair.  Honsetly, I'm pretty impressed with the output that you get from 1xAA (and it's made for rechargeables, not like Maglites who don't like the slightly lower voltage!).  The lowest mode is more than sufficient when it's really dark or for up-close work, and the Turbo mode is about the same as my Mini Mag Pro +; it's more throw than spill, but that's what I prefer and it still has plenty of spill.  With the $10 off coupon eBay gave me, I paid $29 shipped and I'd do it again in a heartbeat - even for $39 I'd definitely recommend it.  I too would love to hear your thoughts and why you're still on the fence/possibly dissapointed.  I think it complements my PD35 nicely, for when I don't need quite so much light.  Also, AAs can be found anywhere should I need a new one and run out of spare (not likely :)).
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 11:13:36 PM
I too would love to hear your thoughts and why you're still on the fence/possibly dissapointed.

So, yours developped issues too? Mine sometimes skips modes from High to Turbo or it occasionally requires another push on the side switch to move to whatever the next level is. The thing is I don't like using the side switch all the time, it's not always convenient but I have to if the Low mode isn't cutting it. If there's some ambient light then usually the Low mode isn't cutting it so I use the Medium mode, which often means too much light and reduced runtimes  :sa: and that kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Overall, I like the LD12, just not for frequent use :cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 11:31:51 PM
I too would love to hear your thoughts and why you're still on the fence/possibly dissapointed.

So, yours developped issues too? Mine sometimes skips modes from High to Turbo or it occasionally requires another push on the side switch to move to whatever the next level is. The thing is I don't like using the side switch all the time, it's not always convenient but I have to if the Low mode isn't cutting it. If there's some ambient light then usually the Low mode isn't cutting it so I use the Medium mode, which often means too much light and reduced runtimes  :sa: and that kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Overall, I like the LD12, just not for frequent use :cheers:

Mine wasn't skipping modes, it would just randomly cut off, or more often it wouldn't come on.  It seemed like it was the mode switch, but like I said, messing with the tail switch seems to have fixed it.  If yours is still under warranty, I'd send it in.  The side switch does take a little getting used to, but it doesn't bother me.  I just leave it on Low, that way I don't blind myself at night and I can kick it up higher if I need to.  I'm not too concerned about run times, I just keep a pile of charged Eneloops around and I check battery voltages every week or two to prevent surprise battery deaths.
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

gr Offline firiki

Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 11:52:30 PM
Some people chase lumens, I chase runtimes :facepalm: or autonomy if you will. I really should get me some Eneloops. That way I won't have to worry about batteries leaking, plus Fenix lights are optimised for rechargeables. Hmmm :think:

Send it to China? I suspect getting a new one will be more profitable! Stay tuned for a more detailed review.

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 11:56:07 PM
Nope, not China; Oklahoma.  Just call Fenix Outfitters (I think).

gr Offline firiki

Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 12:07:03 AM
The truth is I'd rather send it in than have it checked by the local distributor ( :rant: ).

us Offline Yaesu Man

firiki's flashlight frenzy - A few reflections
Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 12:10:35 AM
I think that's where the actual repair center is, Broken Arrow, OK.  The return address says "Fenix Repairs & Returns Dept."

gr Offline firiki

Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 11:50:23 PM
:rant: I had a look at Fenix repair centers. Now I've started considering having the LD12 checked. It's not a big deal but what if it lets me down when I need it the most?  I think I'll start frow where I bought it :) ( :rant: )

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD