Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

M Tech Xtreme MX 8035 initial impressions

Aloha · 32 · 4630

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
on: November 29, 2014, 06:25:52 PM
I am beginning to really explore lower priced fixed blades.  I know that for the cost of several inexpensive knives I could have very well bought a higher end one, but where the fun in that? 

These knives will serve as hiking blades, commercial work blades, general around the house carry, or dirty work knives. 

I bought the Schrade SCHF16 not long ago and really like the knife.  The in hand feel is terrific and the blade itself is great for its intended purpose. 

This new knife is the M-Tech Xtreme MX8035 fixed blade. 

The description was off from Amzon however the reviews were pretty spot on from those who bought it. 

The handle is micarta and not burl wood.  The fit and finish on this knife is what you should expect from a $15 knife.  The micarta isn't flush against the handle, it also has some noticeable flaws on the pattern. 

My blade came with some light scratches and scuffs and the grind is uneven (a complaint many expressed in the reviews).  The blade was sharp(ish) and listed as 440.  The sheath is Kydex and mine was loose fitting ( some reviews stated theirs was very tight fitting).  My knife rattled but would not come out.  The belt clip retention is very good and when drawing the knife there is a lip that grabs the bottom of your belt preventing the sheath from coming off.  The lanyard that came with it could best be described as shoe string.

So with all reviews read and a few videos later I decided to order one and see for myself ( mind you with all things considered the majority of reviewers liked the knife).  I got mine for under $15 and despite the fit and finish issues I am pretty impressed.  I addressed the sheath first off and now the knife fits terrific.  I tossed the shoe string lanyard since I'd never carry this blade as a neck knife anyway.  I decided I wouldn't even out the grind only run it on my ceramic rods.  It's now pretty sharp with very little time invested.

Many complained that the knife was very dingy and dirty and that IMO was from the Kydex.  I washed my sheath out and inserted the knife the withdrew it and seems to be the trick.  I wont do anything with the scratches on the blade since it's going to get scratched soon enough.

Without any actual hard usage ( I cut some food, light materials )  just going off in hand feel, materials, blade shape, intended use, and price I can say I am happy with my purchase so far.

IMG_5824.jpg
* IMG_5824.jpg (Filesize: 269.2 KB)
IMG_5825.jpg
* IMG_5825.jpg (Filesize: 255.28 KB)
IMG_5826.jpg
* IMG_5826.jpg (Filesize: 158.76 KB)
IMG_5827.jpg
* IMG_5827.jpg (Filesize: 189.21 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: M Tech Xtreme MX 8035 initial impressions
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:27:41 PM
I'm headed to the mountains in a few weeks and will give this blade a good testing a see how the blade edge hold up and the scales do as well.  This will be a camping trip so it will see normal camp chores. 
IMG_5828.jpg
* IMG_5828.jpg (Filesize: 221.25 KB)
IMG_5829.jpg
* IMG_5829.jpg (Filesize: 208.16 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 11:27:54 PM
Nice looking blade. Let us know how you get along with it.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:30:44 AM
Nice looking blade. Let us know how you get along with it.

I sure will.  I'm curious myself to see how this small knife does.  I've got a decent edge on it but I will refine it a bit more then not touch it and see what it can handle. I have already used it to cut up some food and with wet hands the grip is not bad at all. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 11:39:58 AM
One has to try these things out.  :salute:

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 12:18:27 PM
That looks like a decent knife for the price. Looking forward to see how you like it.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 03:34:25 PM
I've read and watched a few reviews however it really seems most reviews are hypothetical in nature.  Theory bases rather than actual use based since most of the knives are unused. 

There are some great reviewer out there who actually use their gear but it's slim pickings.  I'm taking this little knife with me today actually and while it wont see any hard use it will cut stuff which is exactly what it's meant to do.   

Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 02:52:44 PM
How has it performed?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 05:12:56 PM
How has it performed?

Day to day it has performed quite well.  I've only cut food, some packaging materials, tyvex packing envelops, some old rags and a few zip ties.  I know I said I'd wait till I went camping but I spent some more time on the blade and got it very sharp and couldn't resist having a play. 

The sheath is terrific IMO.  The clips retention is great and the way the knife sits on my belt ( leans inward ) is very comfortable.  The handle is a bit short but not uncomfortable, the micarta is a nice grip.  This blade is all belly so the sweet spot is from tip to choil. 

The one thing I quickly realized is how tall the blade is ( Spine to Cutting edge ) so it has some limitations in tight spaces.  I call this knife the Rhino ( sorry boker ) because its so stout.  The thickness of the blade stock is impressive 5mm and 440C with Micarta Scales and Kydex sheath for less than $20 I'd say steal in my book. 

I head to Cleveland National Forest soon so I'll see how it performs in the woods.   

Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 05:19:16 PM
Thanks!
It does sound like a steal for $20.
Im temted to get one, if I ever come by one at that price.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 05:41:16 PM
Thanks!

Many of the reviewers complained about the knife being very tight in the sheath and it being very dirty.  Mine was dirty and scratched it also has some odd mismatched scales BUT I could care less at the price point.  Sure I had to do some fitment with my sheath but in the end it fits perfect.   

:pok:

http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/mtxtsmnekn.html

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 05:55:16 PM
I have has a few MTech knives in the past and I really liked them.   They would never be mistaken for high end knives but they were certainly well worth the money.  This one looks pretty sweet.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 05:57:57 PM
It sort of goes without saying, but avoid their folders like the plague. A friend got one because he was too cheap to get a real knife, didn't make it a day before it failed and caused injury.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

no Offline Grathr

Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 06:04:38 PM

Thanks!

Many of the reviewers complained about the knife being very tight in the sheath and it being very dirty.  Mine was dirty and scratched it also has some odd mismatched scales BUT I could care less at the price point.  Sure I had to do some fitment with my sheath but in the end it fits perfect.   

At $13 Im not expecting perfect fit and finish.

Thanks for the link, but they dont ship to Norway.  :(

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 06:07:25 PM
All I've had were folders. I didn't even know they made fixed blades. 

Of course, I did have to tighten the blade pivots quite often.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 06:12:01 PM
It sort of goes without saying, but avoid their folders like the plague. A friend got one because he was too cheap to get a real knife, didn't make it a day before it failed and caused injury.

And this is the worry when going the cheap route.  I personally stick to certain reputable brand folders tho we've seen with the Capts posts thats not always a safe bet either.  His didn't fail they just weren't up to snuff F&F wise but still. 

In my Tipping point thread I touched on Performance/Materials/Cost/Satisfaction as being my rationale for buying or not buyng lower end vs higher end.

This is 440C/Micarta/5mm thick Blade stock/Kydex for less than $20.  I guess the one thing would be tempering but who are we gonna know how well this was tempered?  With all reviews read and videos watched and based on my limited experience with fixed blades I felt it was a good bet. 

Interesting now I got a Rat 3 that retails for $60-$70 ish and while nice I personally wouldn't pay that amount.  It's 1095 coated steel/Micarta/.50 Blade stock/Plastic polymer sheath and plastic pocket clip. 

The Rat 3 would not TIP me in it's direction not would the Esse fixed blade at it's asking price at 20-40% higher than the Rat 3. 

Anyway yes its a good buy as long as one has a purpose or wants to add a nice little fixed to their stable.  Heck I'd say it's a good trial knife if your not sure you like fixed blades.  For the cost of a coffee at *bucks and lunch at a fast food joint if your not happy sell it off.   
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:09:31 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 06:16:25 PM

Thanks!

Exactly and thank you for saying as much.  I wasn't bummed with the condition at all.  I mentioned I wouldn't fix the scratches and I won't.  The scales are not cracked or broken so the odd patterns aren't an issue.

If you need help let me know.  I haven't shipped to Norway so I dont know the cost.  Heck I may pick one more up for my buddy at that price, I paid 14 and some change but thru amason it's not 21.99 there. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 06:21:05 PM
All I've had were folders. I didn't even know they made fixed blades. 

Of course, I did have to tighten the blade pivots quite often.

Def

Hm, well that's interesting. I'd say that's an example of the QC you get when dealing with lower end companies. The liner lock on his knife actually broke.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

no Offline Grathr

Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 06:34:25 PM

Thanks!

Exactly and thank you for saying as much.  I wasn't bummed with the condition at all.  I mentioned I wouldn't fix the scratches and I won't.  The scales are not cracked or broken so the odd patterns aren't an issue.

If you need help let me know.  I haven't shipped to Norway so I dont know the cost.  Heck I may pick one more up for my buddy at that price, I paid 14 and some change but thru amason it's not 21.99 there.

Thanks for the offer.
After reading trough their shipping policy, it is possible to order outside the US, but only through email using paypal.  Ill give that a try. If their shipping rates are decent, this site might be nice place for us Europeans to buy knives :)

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 07:08:44 PM
If their shipping rates are decent, this site might be nice place for us Europeans to buy knives :)

Ähh, not sure if i want to order in the US with shipping and possible hassle at customs (at least paying their fees) when i can get "M Tech xtreme" stuff on Ebay Germany, or in several online shops.  :D

Just for example:

http://reduro.de/taschenmesser/714/mtech-xtreme-mx-8035-messer-fahrtenmesser-440c-stahl-micarta-griff

Have you searched for them in norwegian ebay/shops already?
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 07:13:36 PM
It irritates me ( not as much as you all ) that you guys have a hard time getting these deals  :rant:.

Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 07:18:13 PM

If their shipping rates are decent, this site might be nice place for us Europeans to buy knives :)

Ähh, not sure if i want to order in the US with shipping and possible hassle at customs (at least paying their fees) when i can get "M Tech xtreme" stuff on Ebay Germany, or in several online shops.  :D

Just for example:

http://reduro.de/taschenmesser/714/mtech-xtreme-mx-8035-messer-fahrtenmesser-440c-stahl-micarta-griff

Have you searched for them in norwegian ebay/shops already?

I often check German ebay.
Norwegian shops are usually ridicilusly expencive at foreign knives and MT's.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 07:43:21 PM
It irritates me ( not as much as you all ) that you guys have a hard time getting these deals  :rant:.

Try being Canadian. Many U.S. companies / vendors / people won't ship to Canada. Shipping a parcel from Key West, FL to Anchorage, AK (approx 8,000 km or 5,000 mi) is less expensive than shipping from Detroit, MI to Windsor, ON, even though the latter are just across a river from each other. And that is just the shipping charges. There may be import tariffs to be levied. Certainly taxes. Possibly brokerage fees. We are supposed to have a "North American Free Trade Agreement". From what I've seen, that name couldn't be further from the truth...

I just checked Amazon.ca and this little MTECH knife is listed for over $300! I'm guessing that is an error. Our $ isn't that far off the US $...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:45:45 PM by 16VGTIDave »
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 07:49:32 PM

Try being Canadian. Many U.S. companies / vendors / people won't ship to Canada. Shipping a parcel from Key West, FL to Anchorage, AK (approx 8,000 km or 5,000 mi) is less expensive than shipping from Detroit, MI to Windsor, ON, even though the latter are just across a river from each other. And that is just the shipping charges. There may be import tariffs to be levied. Certainly taxes. Possibly brokerage fees. We are supposed to have a "North American Free Trade Agreement". From what I've seen, that name couldn't be further from the truth...

I just checked Amazon.ca and this little MTECH knife is listed for over $300! I'm guessing that is an error. Our $ isn't that far off the US $...

Irritating  :rant:

This knife should not cost more than $20US.  When shipping is added and all the extra costs then this knife isn't as "attractive".
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 08:09:40 PM

Its not always bad. Ebay is usually pretty good compared to our prices, and many have decent shipping.
And then we have Tim who have great prices  on SAKs and decent shipping.
And great people here like yourself who help us. :salute:
It could be a lot worse.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 08:12:07 PM

Its not always bad. Ebay is usually pretty good compared to our prices, and many have decent shipping.
It could be a lot worse.

:cheers:  Tim the cat man is AWESOME.   
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 08:17:04 PM

It could be a lot worse.

:cheers:  Tim the cat man is AWESOME.

He is!

00 Offline cool123

Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 11:16:34 AM
hello,

Mtech is no doubt the best maker of knives.
Can you tell me that this knife is for use as boot knife or neck knife.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
hello,

Mtech is no doubt the best maker of knives.
Can you tell me that this knife is for use as boot knife or neck knife.

Neither, for me it's a too heavy for a neck knife but it wouldn't be bad for a boot knife.  I use it for a belt knife or I'll attach it to a hiking pack.  This knife will be used as a basic utility knife including food. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 04:16:19 PM
I'd like to follow up on my knife.  I took this knife on a recent camping trip to see how I would get along with it in a variety of situations.  I'm happy to report this knife was a real performer.  I carried this knife along side my Anza as a basic go to utility knife and I am impressed.  Not only did it carry well it performed in everything I asked.  I used it for food prep, paracord, opened some packaging, lightly battoned, shaved some wood for kindling, and where I was most excited was as how well it threw sparks. 

This knife is a fantastic knife and has its place in my camping and backpacking gear.  The short thick wide blade does have some drawbacks but the edge on the spine was a real winner at throwing sparks from my fire steel, it also shaved magnesium like a champ.  The spine was sharp and tuff enough to do some real work.  I'm also happy with the edge on this knife and it managed a good assortment of tasks and still has a good edge. 

I now wish it came in a larger format.  I'd certainly get one in a heartbeat.  I was happy with the blade choice 440C since the weather was cold and rainy and I wasn't worried about any rust.

I do think in a camp environment this knife could be used as a neck knife tho I wore it on my belt and pack.   
IMG_5959.jpg
* IMG_5959.jpg (Filesize: 246.78 KB)
IMG_5960.jpg
* IMG_5960.jpg (Filesize: 233.39 KB)
IMG_5961.jpg
* IMG_5961.jpg (Filesize: 237.15 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00