Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you carry a spare cell or another flashlight?

Aloha · 34 · 2552

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Do you carry a spare cell or another flashlight?
on: December 01, 2014, 09:16:33 PM
As it gets darker sooner ( sunset about 16:45 PST ) I find I grab a second light rather than a spare battery.  I was carrying my Olight I2 primarily and running it on Eneloops.  I now have a Thrunite T10 which was bought to be my primary light.

What I now do is instead of carrying a spare battery it's better to have my Olight on me as well.  I also like to have my 4 Sevens P0 on a ball chain with me just because. 

How many lights do you carry? Or do you just carry a spare battery in some manner? 

IMG_5837.jpg
* IMG_5837.jpg (Filesize: 198.36 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Do you carry a spare cell or another flashlight?
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:19:50 PM
I'm loving your posts today man, hope you don't mind me harassing you in all of them :pok:

I go with a second light, my Coast PX25 is on my hip then I have the small, much less powerful G10 in my pocket. Honestly though, it's rare that I need to use either for more than a few minutes so by the time the big boy is wearing down I'll have ample time to replace the batteries. Both have been a delight to use for not much cash.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:33:18 PM
I'm loving your posts today man, hope you don't mind me harassing you in all of them :pok:

I go with a second light, my Coast PX25 is on my hip then I have the small, much less powerful G10 in my pocket. Honestly though, it's rare that I need to use either for more than a few minutes so by the time the big boy is wearing down I'll have ample time to replace the batteries. Both have been a delight to use for not much cash.

Glad someone is enjoying them  :tu:.  I'm off today doing "paperwork" which I cannot stand doing but if I want to get paid then I must. 

I use my light for many things from take the dog out several times, when packing up the truck after a days work, throwing out the garbage ( dumpsters in common area ), walking to market, and general usage.  I find on medium mode the battery last a good while but recently both mine and my roommates went empty.  We were out and a good distance from the vehicle, not in a critical situation but still.    I had a spare ( AA ),  she didnt (AAA) but I had my 4 sevens on me so she was good to go.

It then dawned on me, why not just carry a second light with the same AA cell.  I carry my light in my coin pocket so a second one isn't that big a deal.  Lip balm can go into pocket with wallet.  Maybe over kill vs putting in fresh cell.

I'll give it a go and see how it works since admittedly I wont always get a fresh cell put in.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 10:31:24 PM
I'm a bit of a flashoholic. :oops:

It's much worse for me than with multies or SAKs as I only carry one of those. But flashlights :ahhh

Currently I have 3 as part of my carry. A Quantum D2 on the keychain, a 47s Mini CR2 and an iTP A2 in the pouch next to the multi de jour. And I have a Quark AA Tactical in the car. And a Zebra SC51 in the bag with work stuff.

I know. I have a problem. :facepalm:

You can improvise a lot of stuff, but once you're in the dark, you're smurfed. So better to carry backups. ;) And it can always happen that one of your flashlights dies. I've killed more than one. And with a dead flashlight a spare battery won't help.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 10:39:34 PM
I have an ITP A3 on my keys which supplements my EDC light, a Nitecore SRT3.

In winter time with the early nights, I will carry 2 additional cells for the Nitecore.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:47:52 PM
I have two lights in the car, one of them being a wind-up one. Generally at work I'll have at least one light, possibly a second - but outside work on "normal days" it just tends to be the one light. If I'm going anywhere where I know for certain that I probably will need a light (rather than just in case) such as an outdoor nighttime event, hiking (and now cycling), or whatever, I'll generally have a second light which might be a headtorch dependent on the activity

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 10:53:44 PM
Generally a second light.  Nowadays, the lights aren't much bigger than the batteries they use so there's not much penalty to carrying a complete torch.  I don't have a spare 1xAA light though, so am currently carrying a Fenix E05 to supplement my LD09.  When I used 2xAA lights on my bike, I had a pair of Fenix LD20s - one for main beam, the other for backup and extra light when descending.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 10:54:06 PM
Just a light and a spare battery or two in the summer and at least 2 lights spare batteries in the winter.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 11:28:43 PM
Just some extra batteries.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 02:17:10 AM
I tend to just have the one light on me. I keep a spare cell or two in the backpack, not on my person.

I don't tend to use my light too often or for very long, so a cell will last quite some time. Also, my primary light these days is a Fenix LD12 and it is very good at sipping the battery juice if I keep it in Low or Medium modes.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 11:15:38 AM
A few years ago I'd have said neither. Nowadays though I'm carrying two -occasionaly three- lights and some spare batteries if I have my bag with me.

:ahhh

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 04:10:40 PM
I tend to have at least two lights with me. Usually a AA or CR123 light of some kind (mostly "Ultrafire" or similar) and a mini light on whichever set of keys I have with me.

I'm a bit of a tightarse with torches/flashlights. Happy paying $20 for something but hardly see the point of paying 4 times as much for something 25% better.

If I have my bag with me I can have as many as six various lights with a half decent 18650 powered XM-L T6 light being the "big gun" right down to the likes of a Streamlight Nano.

Usually just the batteries that are in the lights.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:13:42 PM by PTRSAK »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 04:24:34 PM
 :think: hmm, now that I think of it I don't have anything, I have one flashlight that takes 1 AA that's on my sheath/pouch, but that doesn't get worn all the time, then I have my murse which has a 2AA flashlight(not the best, should switch) and in neither case do I have any extra batteries.. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 04:28:40 PM
I used to carry a few lights with me... but recently I've found myself carrying only one light, no spare light, no spare battery. I guess my flashaholic period has cooled down a bit :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 04:46:27 PM
I used to carry a few lights with me... but recently I've found myself carrying only one light, no spare light, no spare battery. I guess my flashaholic period has cooled down a bit :D

Who is this?  What have you done with NNR?  Give her back to us or we'll be forced to send MTo crisis response team your way.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 04:49:03 PM

Who is this?  What have you done with NNR?  Give her back to us or we'll be forced to send MTo crisis response team your way.
No kidding! We want NNR back, now!
Don't make us arm the Punishment Chicken.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 05:25:45 PM
Ok, heres a thought, since I have a sheath with a 2-AA flashlight in it already on my bag, what if I take the 2-AA out and put the 1-AA in place but also with a spare AA, best of both worlds no? But here's another question, what can I use as a case that will hold just one AA? Some jig, cause if the flashlight bounces enough the battery will hit the push switch on the flashlight and turn it on,, is there something that is small enough to fit in a decent size sheath, yet large enough to hold a AA? JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 05:54:19 PM
I only have flashlight app in the cell phone as backup, but if I know a proper flashlight probably will come in handy, I always check the battery state of the flashlight before leaving home.

As for MadPlumbarian's question, I haven't the foggiest. Pick up sewing as a hobby. :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 06:39:17 PM
I only have flashlight app in the cell phone as backup, but if I know a proper flashlight probably will come in handy, I always check the battery state of the flashlight before leaving home.

As for MadPlumbarian's question, I haven't the foggiest. Pick up sewing as a hobby. :)
I know my basics in sewing, I was thinking like something like the oldschool film cases, I don't think its long enough "but" would work like an umbrella and would prevent the switch from being pushed in,, still just a thought.. JR

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 06:58:30 PM
Those small bottles of Advil that you find in gas stations will hold a AA battery.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 08:59:00 PM
Those small bottles of Advil that you find in gas stations will hold a AA battery.
Yeah huh I got one of those, half filled with tums and half aspirin. My wife asked me a question and as I looked over I noticed something on my desk, a glue stick.. I must have at least 50 of those due to the kids supply's, I'll have to take some measurements.. JR

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 09:13:31 PM

:rofl: Ok, ok, I forgot my E01 on my keys, it's always there and I keep forgetting it's there, is this better :D  And there's also a Fenix LD12 right next to me now..

gb Offline CMZed

Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 09:53:09 PM
At work I currently carry a LEDlenser T7 and a Niton back up torch. Just ordered a Olight M18 Striker which will be a Christmas present from the wife. This will replace the Lenser at work and that will come home for use around the house etc. Could do with getting some sort of small light for the keys/pocket though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 09:57:45 PM
Main light is an Olight M21- X and I carry a spare 18650 and the CR123 adapter with 2 CR213's in.

The backup is a Fenix LD01 and I've got 6 spare batteries, in the bag
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 10:59:57 PM
I go with an Olight i3s as my main EDC light, and keep a smaller light for backup on my keyring. It used to be a Streamlight Nano, but right now I'm trying out the LED Lenser K2. it's definitely bigger than the Nano, but so far I don't mind the extra bulk.

maybe I should try an AAA light on my keyring next... :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 11:23:57 PM

:rofl: Ok, ok, I forgot my E01 on my keys, it's always there and I keep forgetting it's there, is this better :D  And there's also a Fenix LD12 right next to me now..

Whew all is good in the world now.   :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 05:27:55 AM
I think carrying another flashlight makes more sense than carrying extra batteries.  For the extra weight and bulk, I would rather have independent sources of light.  You might lose or drop the primary light, or have a failure of the primary light that is unrelated to the batteries, or you might want a light for a friend to use.  I always have a AAA key chain light, plus my cell phone that can be used as a flashlight, and I'll add a 2xAA light if I consciously think I'm going somewhere I might need a flashlight.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:30:04 AM by nate j »

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 12:25:21 PM
I'd go for carrying an extra light as well. I always have a keychain light like a streamlined nano and another Microstream.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 06:24:23 PM
I NEVER go with any less than three lights, and here lately I've been carrying a fourth.  The main three are a Mag Pro Plus LED, a Streamlight C4 Microstream, and a Mag XL100 (old version).  Also been carrying an old LED Mini Mag in a belt holster here lately.  That's just in my jeans...I've got another one or two in my jacket, several more in my pack, and a boatload of batteries in my pack as well.
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 02:36:43 AM
I carry both. I have extra cells in a special tube and always have at least 2 more lights.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%