Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Flair Mod

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
LM Flair Mod
on: December 04, 2014, 09:31:17 AM
G'Day,

I got a Flair a few days ago that was to become a replacement for my previously modified Lunch Box Tool http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42637.msg683928.html#msg683928 The Flair had a broken Cork spring and needed some cleaning.

First I pulled the tool to pieces and found that the tool itself was in excellent condition. Hardly any use on any of the tools. I was not to concerned about the cork screw as I would have no use for it, and it does take up some pouch space. I carefully filed the bump on the outside of the cork screw to remove it. The bit of back spring that was left took a bit of man handling to get out as it keeps some tension on the bronze can opener. It is also the exact thickness of a file. I had an extra file from a PST II and put it right in.

It fits perfectly without having to add or remove any washers. It also does not foul the plier head. BUT it does slightly touch the cocktail fork, rubs against the inside of the handle and only opens about 175 degrees. A slight bit off the back of the file needs to be taken off to get it to open 180 degrees. The pictures show the file in the open and closed position. I left all the other tools as is, but exchanged the blade for a PST blade. I'm happy with the mod, and it tested perfect during lunch today.

Check out the pictures

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP1739.JPG
* IMGP1739.JPG (Filesize: 234.11 KB)
IMGP1747.JPG
* IMGP1747.JPG (Filesize: 199.95 KB)
IMGP1742.JPG
* IMGP1742.JPG (Filesize: 185.68 KB)
IMGP1744.JPG
* IMGP1744.JPG (Filesize: 232.6 KB)

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Re: LM Flair Mod
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:32:22 PM
nice work, Pete! :cheers:

I love the PST II file in place of the busted corkscrew -- a nice, innovative solution. :salute:

any plans to go back and adjust the file so that it opens fully and/or stops rubbing the fork?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:12:32 PM
Good thinking mate.  :salute:  I vote for adjusting the file too.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 05:22:01 AM
nice work, Pete! :cheers:

I love the PST II file in place of the busted corkscrew -- a nice, innovative solution. :salute:

any plans to go back and adjust the file so that it opens fully and/or stops rubbing the fork?

Thanks Breezy, Zoid

The file problem should be sorted over the weekend. This was my initial put together to see if it all fits. One thing though, once the back of the file is modified, it will only fit this one.

As for the rubbing, the standard on the PST and PST II is a washer on either side of the file to stop all rubbing. This one has a washer between the fork and the flat head screw driver as part of the original tool. I'll move that one across to the other side of the fork and then add the second washer on the outside of the file. There is a bit of "excess" space and I think the additional washer will be fine.

I'll update the pictures once it is all sorted.

Cheers,

Pete

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 08:30:09 AM
Well, I had some time this afternoon to redo the Flair. Happy to report that it works very well with the washer repositioned and a second washer added. There is still a very small amount of rubbing, however that only happens if you put the fork in to quickly.

I swapped the file for a PST file to test on, I really don't want to ruin a perfectly good diamond file. The amount that needs to be removed is very small. It is going to be more time consuming filing, assembling, testing, "rinse and repeat".  ;)

Once it is done, I'll add the final pictures.

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 07:21:15 PM
thanks for the update, mate. glad to hear things are coming along nicely! :cheers:

and I know exactly what you mean about the file --> reassemble --> test --> repeat loop... but it's so satisfying once you get everything to fit just right. ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 07:56:29 PM
Great way to fix the Flair and put it back into service :cheers:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 09:43:01 PM
  Interesting...

Am considering...

Swap pliers

Side 1 - Keep Smurfit laser scribed side
  • swap PST PE knife into Flair's PS
  • swap awl for Flair Pate & slim flathead driver
  • keep Phillips & Flathead driver in Flair

Side 2 - Swap halves
  • junk the can opener, no need
  • swap Flair's scissors, medium flathead, & fork
  • keep only the file on the PST
  • swap over the external Flair can/bottle opener

Would must rather have the PST II file as it is diamond coated and has the groove in the file. Had a PST II once, don't know what became of it though. So looking on eBay for a decent PST tool with a decent file.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:44:21 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:36:22 AM
   Swap pliers

Side 1 - Keep Smurfit laser scribed side
  • swap PST PE knife into Flair's PS
  • swap awl for Flair Pate & slim flathead driver
  • keep Phillips & Flathead driver in Flair

Side 2 - Swap halves
  • junk the can opener, no need
  • swap Flair's scissors, medium flathead, & fork
  • keep only the file on the PST
  • swap over the external Flair can/bottle opener

Would must rather have the PST II file as it is diamond coated and has the groove in the file. Had a PST II once, don't know what became of it though. So looking on eBay for a decent PST tool with a decent file.

D'Gay Mate,

Why do you want to swap the pliers? Just out of curiosity?

I think your sides will be fine. I had a quick check on thickness (with eyes only, as my Flair is not in pieces at the moment) and the swap should be just tools out then back in.  Remember to add the washers on either side of the file else it will rub / foul the handles. Take care when you remove the Flair can / bottle opener. It is under a bit of tension due to the spring tab on it. When you put it back together the tension pushes the curdled screw a little skew. Patience is key as not to scratch the can / bottle opener.

And off course take plenty pics!!!

Pete

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 04:01:43 PM
Can't wait to see what comes out of this :salute:

:popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!