Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hows your belt holding up?

Aloha · 84 · 7827

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Hows your belt holding up?
Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 05:53:30 AM
Reminds of the buckles we had in boyscouts. Except it wasn't a spring lever, it was a rod that loved to slide loose and leave your pants hanging down. Nothing gets me PO'd like scouts wearing a Class A uniform incorrectly. Either wear it right or take it off.

Do they mention what the ribbing is made out of?

I cannot find the answer to that.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 06:00:40 AM
I'm Going to try hunt down a good belt today.

I hope carhartt makes a good one.

If you don't find one this shop on E-bay has some pretty nice hand made belts for a decent price.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Mens-Accessories-/4250/m.html?item=300798892091&var=600062161852&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_ssn=zelikovitzleathers

Good prices but what is the quality like?

You ever bought one?

I haven't bought one yet  but they look like they are high quality. Buffalo hide and bridle leather should hold up pretty well. They are a leather shop so I would think that they are well made.

From their description

" Handmade Genuine Buffalo Leather Belt NEW men

These are excellent high quality hand-made leather belts.
Made of a solid piece of buffalo leather. No cheap backing on this belt.
Great gift idea. Comes with a removable buckle.

Handmade in Canada using premium 9 oz. buffalo hides."

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 06:02:01 AM
Made in Canada..... Pass.  :D

Just kidding guys.  :dwts:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 06:16:18 AM
Made in Canada..... Pass.  :D

Just kidding guys.  :dwts:

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline Crocker

Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 05:55:27 PM
I made this belt for work recently , the buckle was a gift from a good friend .

(Image removed from quote.)

Ken

That is one awesome belt. I can imagine many practical uses. Thanks for posting that.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 06:54:15 PM
It is a sweet belt. I think the next one I make will be on the order of this one.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 08:22:55 PM
So I picked up this 5.11 TDU belt I saw at the fleamarket for $5.  Its new, 1.5 inches wide with a plastic belt buckle made of nylon webbing material.  It so far feels very good and light weight as compared to my leather belt I usually wear.  I'll wear this for work days and see how it goes long term.     
IMG_6736.jpg
* IMG_6736.jpg (Filesize: 170.47 KB)
IMG_6737.jpg
* IMG_6737.jpg (Filesize: 172.94 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 01:06:59 AM
That looks nice, how well does an MT sheath ride on it?

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 01:10:40 AM
I have a full grain RM Williams leather belt (Australian brand). It holds up very well.

www.rmwilliams.com.au/e-SalesB2CProd/esa/ItemDetails.jsp?@where.ItemID@EQ=CB439&sessionkey=

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 01:37:17 AM

Very well actually.  Not the amount of twist I expected and once tightened it stays put which is something I also wondered about.  There is another belt from 5.11 that is used as a gun belt so that maybe an option.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 01:51:23 AM

Very well actually.  Not the amount of twist I expected and once tightened it stays put which is something I also wondered about.  There is another belt from 5.11 that is used as a gun belt so that maybe an option.

Cool.  Glad to hear it, I am considering a nylon belt in the future.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 09:33:38 PM
I've been wearing a Condor instructors belt, which is pretty much a copy of an older 5.11 riggers belt with the emergency climb load rating. With my tool load out I found I have to wear a gun belt of some sort because regular dept store belts just are not up to the task with out suspenders to back them up. But that's what I get for regularly packing >5lbs on my belt and pockets.

I've heard good things about CompTac belts but have no experience with them. They are a dressy leather belt with a shaped kydex core so they don't sag under the weight of a holster. I just cant blindly justify the price. Any one dealt with this brand?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:34:56 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 02:35:24 AM
When I was trying on Redwing boots I noticed they make belts as well. I might have to give one a try.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 04:25:12 AM
I've been wearing a Condor instructors belt, which is pretty much a copy of an older 5.11 riggers belt with the emergency climb load rating. With my tool load out I found I have to wear a gun belt of some sort because regular dept store belts just are not up to the task with out suspenders to back them up. But that's what I get for regularly packing >5lbs on my belt and pockets.

I've heard good things about CompTac belts but have no experience with them. They are a dressy leather belt with a shaped kydex core so they don't sag under the weight of a holster. I just cant blindly justify the price. Any one dealt with this brand?

Have used a ton of there holsters with no issues. They also have very good customer service. What I know about there CS though is second hand since there has never been an issue with there products.

As far as belts with a core I have the Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt with the stiff core that has held up very well over this last deployment to Afghanistan. I intend to post up some pic and a mini review once I get home.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #44 on: March 21, 2015, 04:39:00 AM
Very poorly.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 05:49:25 AM
Anyone got a new belt recently?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 07:01:08 AM
I was a leather belt user long ago, but then I switched to a normal military one because you didn't have to adjust between holes, and it could be used as a tourniquet. then about ten years ago, I found this really cool one, (the instructor belt) and when I was looking for that one I ended up also finding the other three, the carbonfiber, smaller instructor belt and nice dress up, it was kinda funny I just went to buy the one and got four, since then those are the only ones I've ever used. The larger instructor belt is ok, a little to stiff, but ok. The carbonfiber one, ahh, kinda slips but still nice. The tan/green is nice with the any dress up tan. But that smaller instructor is what I consider perfect, totaly adjustable like the others, not stiff like the larger one, will fit in any belt loops that I've tried them in unlike the larger one, I love it, yeah I could use it for an emergency to hook up as jumpers harness, or as tourniquet, hopefully that will never happen, but the one thing I like about all four of them is after you eat a meal you can loosen it that little bit unlike having to loosen to another hole, or vice versa after going to the can..
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 04:32:22 PM
I wear a non leather belt when not at work and wear a leather belt at work. It has a black side and a brown side with a reversible buckle so I can match it accordingly with whatever i'm wearing that day.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 07:47:40 PM
I was a leather belt user long ago, but then I switched to a normal military one because you didn't have to adjust between holes, and it could be used as a tourniquet. then about ten years ago, I found this really cool one, (the instructor belt) and when I was looking for that one I ended up also finding the other three, the carbonfiber, smaller instructor belt and nice dress up, it was kinda funny I just went to buy the one and got four, since then those are the only ones I've ever used. The larger instructor belt is ok, a little to stiff, but ok. The carbonfiber one, ahh, kinda slips but still nice. The tan/green is nice with the any dress up tan. But that smaller instructor is what I consider perfect, totaly adjustable like the others, not stiff like the larger one, will fit in any belt loops that I've tried them in unlike the larger one, I love it, yeah I could use it for an emergency to hook up as jumpers harness, or as tourniquet, hopefully that will never happen, but the one thing I like about all four of them is after you eat a meal you can loosen it that little bit unlike having to loosen to another hole, or vice versa after going to the can..
JR

Where did you get the small instructor belt ?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 08:06:12 PM
JR

Where did you get the small instructor belt ?
Bison designs. They got a bunch of stuff
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 09:47:30 PM
Thanks,  I'll check them out .

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: July 02, 2015, 03:45:52 AM
The black leather belt I wear for work I have had for at least 20 years, maybe a touch longer, even 25, I don't know, I was a kid anyway! It has all the extra holes in it to make it small enough for my waist. I have no idea what brand it is. I think that most of the wear is more due to stretching from me getting fat than anything having a multitool on has caused. It will be a sad day likely when it is retired or breaks. Need to lose some weight!

us Offline Simian

Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 08:54:17 PM
I wear an OSOE pistol belt pretty much every day. I am not sure I will ever wear it out. They are great belts, look into one...

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #53 on: July 19, 2015, 05:49:34 PM
I sheath carry my MT daily so after a few years I noticed my old tired belt was getting pretty buggered up.  I wear a leather belt and there are clear signs of marring from my sheath.  I use a skinth and nite ize as well a LM nylon daily and over time it has suffered. 
The belt is old mind you but the sheaths have added to the age.  I'll snap a pic in a bit I'm not in good light.

So hows your belt holding up?

I used to be somewhat of a belt collector and I definitely appreciate a nice belt. For at least the past 20 years I've been mostly wearing an old heavy leather lazy stitch belt I bought from Cabela's. I had two but I can't find the other one so the black one is the daily driver except when I am wearing a dress belt. I think they still carry them but I haven't been to their store or looked at the catalog for a long time. Anyway it was used to hang a .45 Auto and a double magazine holder for a bunch of years and also occasionally a custom Ruger in .45 Colt or .44 Mag and it has held up real well. About the only thing that seems to hurt it is the POS keyring I bought a few years ago. That finally scraped some color off. I have been remiss in cleaning and conditioning it but with some saddlesoap and a little touch up color it would be good as new. Definitely recommended if they're still being sold.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:51:55 PM by rebel »
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #54 on: July 20, 2015, 05:12:26 PM
I got tired of the cheap materials most store bought belts are made of these days. I also have a 40 inch waist, very long inseam, and no butt, so I think belts have to work harder to hold up my pants  :D , and store bought belts just don't hold up. 

So I recently got into CCW belts (even though I don't CCW). CCW belts are a good way to go if someone wants a tough leather belt that is the way belts USED to be made.

Hanks Amish Belts. Good thick belt for the price:
http://www.hanksclothing.com/hanks_amish_belts_ccw_the_gunner.html

Wright Leather Works Bull Hide Gun Belt. Thicker and nicer finish than the Hanks.
http://www.wrightleatherworks.com/products/bull-hide-leather-belt
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:14:17 PM by raistlin65 »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 06:56:56 PM
Nice belt raistlin,
My problem is I don't have any hips, the gut pushes the belt down and the butt pushes the belt back, so the belt is like a hula hoop, so no matter what after walking so far it's going to need a lift, and I ain't wearing suspenders!
JR

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 07:01:56 PM
Nice belt raistlin,
My problem is I don't have any hips, the gut pushes the belt down and the butt pushes the belt back, so the belt is like a hula hoop, so no matter what after walking so far it's going to need a lift, and I ain't wearing suspenders!
JR

I wonder if the Wright Leather Works belt might not help. It's very thick and stiff. First time I put it on, almost made me think of a weight lifting belt (although definitely not as wide). I really enjoy wearing it most because it feels like a BELT :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: July 20, 2015, 07:07:12 PM
Nice belt raistlin,
JR

I wonder if the Wright Leather Works belt might not help. It's very thick and stiff. First time I put it on, almost made me think of a weight lifting belt (although definitely not as wide). I really enjoy wearing it most because it feels like a BELT :)
I gave up leather way back when I stopped carrying, and that was :think: like 12yrs ago.. I could never get the right size, one hole was to tight, and the other too loose.
JR

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #58 on: July 20, 2015, 11:13:40 PM
I used the Wilderness Instructor belt (http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/original-instructor-belt/) for years, but recently switched to bull hide belts from https://www.daltechforce.com/gun-belts/stitched-bull-hide-bullbelt%C2%AE.  They are thick, no-nonsense steer hide belts that are thick and durable.  The upside to the Wilderness Instructor belt - which is also its downside in my view - is the sliding buckle and velcro, which means there are no belt holes.  You adjust it exactly the way you want it.  But the velcro makes some serious noise when you peel down. <insert velcro tearing noise>

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: July 20, 2015, 11:34:12 PM
I used the Wilderness Instructor belt (http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/original-instructor-belt/) for years, but recently switched to bull hide belts from https://www.daltechforce.com/gun-belts/stitched-bull-hide-bullbelt%C2%AE.  They are thick, no-nonsense steer hide belts that are thick and durable.  The upside to the Wilderness Instructor belt - which is also its downside in my view - is the sliding buckle and velcro, which means there are no belt holes.  You adjust it exactly the way you want it.  But the velcro makes some serious noise when you peel down. <insert velcro tearing noise>
True, but they also make the light duty instructor/smokejumper/riggers belt, I have both the heavy duty and light, and like you said that Velcro gets annoying but the light duty isn't as stiff nor does it have the Velcro. Only downer is it will slip a little, thus where the Velcro comes in play. Hands down the best belt design is the old school military buckle, no holes, unlimited adjustment, and no matter what the more you pulled the tighter it got and would not slip!
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%