Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Self Defense Tool?

Corwyn · 24 · 3414

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Self Defense Tool?
on: December 07, 2014, 02:15:39 AM
What the actual smurf is this?
It looks like most unconfortable, useless pos I've ever seen. It would probably hurt your fingers just holding it, let alone squeezing it... and what momentum would a piece of plastic add? I'd rather swing my keychain at the attacker instead...
And why in the Gods' green name is it shaped like a smurfhead?

http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/Duron-Drill-Self-Defense-Stinger-Protection-Tool-Nylon-Plastic-p-952212.html[/url]
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Self Defense Tool?
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 02:23:04 AM
Striking tools like this are quite common. No need to be metal or have mass to do damage. With that said I would not use one. They are actually illegal to own in my state anyways.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 02:39:26 AM
It is a Stinger.  The goal is not to add momentum, but to concentrate the force of a blow into a small area.  I can't speak to their effectiveness (or lack thereof), but personally (1) I would prefer having my hands free to grapple vs. using something like that, and (2) if I'm going to the trouble of carrying a purpose-built weapon, it will be something more effective.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 02:43:02 AM
Striking tools like this are quite common. No need to be metal or have mass to do damage. With that said I would not use one. They are actually illegal to own in my state anyways.

So you're saying this thing actually works? It looks to me like it would break your fingers if you tried punching someone with it...
When we were kids we used to put sprockets on our fingers to look cool. We never used them, but our fingers were always full of blisters and scabs...  :facepalm:
I might get one just out of curiosity and test it out... I can't comprehend the logic.... shouldn't a fist be straight, with the entire force focused on the tip and knuckes, for maximum impact? To me, this would split the force and put strain on the fingers and soft palm... :think:

Also it looks rather ridiculous.. if someone attacked me with a smurfhead I'd burst out into laughter...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:43:29 AM
Never quite like the idea of these in untrained hands.  I feel it gives a false sense of ability to the user who is not familiar with how to effectively use it. 

I'm a bigger fan of pepper spray. 
Esse Quam Videri

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 02:48:21 AM
The goal is not to add momentum, but to concentrate the force of a blow into a small area.

But isn't the tip too far from the knuckles? This would also disperse the force and maybe twist a punch (and the fingers it's attached to)...
It's like using a short bat and pushing with the tip instead of swinging it...

I can imagine people feeling like wannabe Wolverines with these on, but to me it looks far more dangerous to the user...

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 03:00:50 AM
The the theory is very sound. It's basically like a discarding sabot meets knucks- same force, smaller point, drives deeper. I've watched boneheads break bricks with an all steel widget of the same basic design. But if you don't know how to throw a punch, they are less useful and in many places just as legal as brass knuckles; if know how to throw a punch, you also know enough to prefer an open hand's versatility.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 03:05:37 AM
The goal is not to add momentum, but to concentrate the force of a blow into a small area.

But isn't the tip too far from the knuckles? This would also disperse the force and maybe twist a punch (and the fingers it's attached to)...
It's like using a short bat and pushing with the tip instead of swinging it...

I can imagine people feeling like wannabe Wolverines with these on, but to me it looks far more dangerous to the user...

This shows how it is intended to be used:

I would suppose it provides some benefit over a simple punch, but don't and won't carry one for the reasons previously listed.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 03:26:47 AM
Ok, saw some movies/reviews/tests (mostly incredibly poorly done  :facepalm:) about it and I'm starting to understand it...
1. You need to hold it at the right angle to have a straight line between handbone and smurfhead (and hold the angle steady throughout the punch)
2. You need to hit a bone for the center of gravity to coincide with the point of impact. If it doesn't hit a bone it's useless... if it hits flesh the impact point dissipates and it's just a pointy glove.

You can see videos of planks being broken (plastic deformation) but not punching bags or meat slabs (elastic deformation)... the videos of the phonebooks are just lame... a key or a pencil would do the same amount of damage...

Punching someone with this in a wrong way would either break your fingers, your wrist or equate to the attacker stepping on a Lego - AKA get him mad...

In the end I reached the same conclusion as you guys: to work effectively you need to know how to hold it and where to hit... and if you know these, chances are you won't be needing it... also it seems too big for a woman's hands... I'd like to see a woman (a strong one, but with regular-sized hands) breaking wooden planks with this thingamagig... 

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 04:09:49 AM
They made them looks a like a pen is so women will bout them.
 :rofl:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 06:37:12 AM
What do you think of this
images (5).jpg
* images (5).jpg (Filesize: 4.99 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 08:11:09 AM
http://www.coldsteel.com/images/products/43LS_m.jpg. cold steel urban pal.  Its even pointier   I have a few and they are good as knives too
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 02:31:20 PM
http://www.coldsteel.com/images/products/43LS_m.jpg. cold steel urban pal.  Its even pointier   I have a few and they are good as knives too

"Don´t go over Start, don´t get 4000 Dollars. Go directly to Jail."
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 07:20:15 PM

"Don´t go over Start, don´t get 4000 Dollars. Go directly to Jail."

Certainly a valid point.  Push knives are illegal in many jurisdictions, so check your local laws carefully before purchasing or carrying one.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 08:56:56 PM
The best self defense weapon is the brain I believe.
When I am in a tight situation with a threatening drug abuser (intoxicated with coke or amphetamines) or a delirious man, I usually hold a metal Parker pen tightly in my right hand and I make sure it is seen. Never needed to actually use it, I always succeed to calm him down or guide him to an exit without touching, but I'm sure that some times the pen helps psychologically (most of the times I see that they look at it and I know because I stare at their eyes without blinking). It happened 10-12 times in a 20 year career.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 01:41:31 AM

Uhm... what do I do with it? More the point, where does it go? It looks like it goes someplace... sensitive.  :D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 03:08:22 AM

Uhm... what do I do with it? More the point, where does it go? It looks like it goes someplace... sensitive.  :D
Haha its a water bottle for when your out running or something I guess. Made by browning

ie Offline haulinthedollaghan

• sláinte
Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 12:28:41 AM
The best self defense weapon is the brain I believe.
When I am in a tight situation with a threatening drug abuser (intoxicated with coke or amphetamines) or a delirious man, I usually hold a metal Parker pen tightly in my right hand and I make sure it is seen. Never needed to actually use it, I always succeed to calm him down or guide him to an exit without touching, but I'm sure that some times the pen helps psychologically (most of the times I see that they look at it and I know because I stare at their eyes without blinking). It happened 10-12 times in a 20 year career.
The pen is mightier than the sword
An té nach bhfuil láidir, ní foláir dó bheith glic-He who is not strong must be clever.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 01:55:21 AM
For some reason I feel like I need to be able to break planks with my smurf now.
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 02:01:52 AM
It has been brought up before among designers and marketers that wang shaped containers are appealing to women and help move products.

I don't believe that personally,  but it sure is prevalent.

A comedian who's name escapes me at the moment once posited that men would not likely buy products just because they were packaged in taco shaped containers.
G

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 09:00:25 AM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 12:49:59 AM
have one, it works...

00 Offline AaronX

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 02:44:16 AM
I'm scared to click that link, according to the previous posts ???
What??? :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD