Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Work Boots

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Work Boots
Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 12:53:43 AM
From a local store called Max. That's where I get mine. I won't buy boots if I can't try them on.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 13, 2014, 05:51:22 PM
I'm currently on my second pair of Uvex Quatro Pro boots, of all the boots I've had they been by far the best. There is room for improvement I think, but they're comfortable even after a long day, warm but you don't get sweaty feet even wearing them through the summer and they last better than any of the other boots I've had. This pair are coming to the end of their life after about 10 months which is pretty good going.
Someone at work uses them too and is happy with them. He did have a problem where he popped one of the lace hooks off but they were swapped straight away for a new pair.

I've also had a cheap pair branded "Groundforce" and they're pretty rubbish. A couple of less cheap Dickies branded ones were better, Severn were OK followed by Calder which were better but not as good as the Uvexes.

IME any fabric bits will start leaking extremely quickly whatever you treat them with and seams are a bit of a pain, so large uninterrupted sections of leather are best. I also like boots with a rubber cap so as to not damaged the leather kneeling on hard surfaces.

I've also recently got two pairs of Grub's Workline wellies and they're great. Best wellies I've ever had and the only ones to be properly comfortable straight out of the box. I have one pair i keep at hom and one pair I keep in the office, so if I need to go in at night I can just pop them on without taking a detour. The day after I got them I spent the day plodding around a muddy field and finished up with warm, dry and comfortable feet.
I've also tried Dunlop Acifort which were pretty rubbish even with an insole, and Dunlop Purofort Plus which were better and two people at work love, but I just didn't get on with.
The Grub's aren't cheap for wellies at £55 a pair but they're good.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:14:44 PM by Cupboard »

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 13, 2014, 06:01:41 PM
I wear these. German Army issue.

http://www.haix.de/haix-airpower-p9-desert

They are made not far from me so I got them in the factory store for a lot less. Very satisfied.

EDIT: Found the page in English for them.

http://www.haix.co.uk/military/129/airpower-p9-desert?c=11

I had a look at their website, found a couple I liked the look of and tried to find somewhere to buy them. *gulp*, £160!
The Airpower XR3 are a bit cheaper so I might pick up a pair of them at some point next year when my replacement Uvexes have worn out.
We do get boots paid for by work (I tend to be chief boot orderer and policer) but I'm a bit reluctant to ask for ones that expensive and I don't like to "experiment" with their money.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #33 on: December 13, 2014, 09:00:08 PM
My latest pair of boots are from an Aussie company Steel Blue.  http://steelblue.com.au/ 

I thought the Oliver boots I had previously were good, but these are even better, light, comfy and seem to be fairly stink resistant (but that could be partly due to the bamboo sox).

The pair I have were on clearance because they are a discontinued style. Less than half price... WIN

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 14, 2014, 08:27:49 AM
A guy I used to work with bought himself a pair of Dr Martens "Chukka" boots cheap in a sale - was so impressed he grabbed a second pair for me too.
Honestly, no breaking in whatsoever, it was like wearing carpet slippers all day!!
The only boots I've ever really looked after, lasted  almost 2yrs daily use.
Wanted another pair when I eventually wore them out but the price.... :ahhh
Couldn't justify £80 for boots for work.

But the best safety boots I've ever had.  :tu:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 173.1 KB)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:36:04 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: December 14, 2014, 02:04:04 PM
That's really good value for a pair of boots, about 15p a day!

I've never had a pair last that long but then I do a lot walk walking on concrete and I think my legs/ankles/feet/something are a bit odd because I always wear one side of the heel out.

Offline Crocker

Reply #36 on: December 14, 2014, 09:38:53 PM
In a previous career I needed work boots and tried many brands but found Red Wing about the best for safety toes, and Gorilla or Dr. Martens for general purpose. Since then I still wear Dr. Martens sometimes, but usually Blundstones nowadays. I have 2 pairs, brown 550, and black Green Patch. There's some issues with the newer products according to what I read on the web, but mine have been great. As winter backups I have one pair of insulated Dakota safety toes.

Good socks help a lot.

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 06:41:52 AM
I'm a Red Wing fan, and currently have a pair of 2412's.  They're about the best I've ever had, and definitely the most comfortable steel toe boot I've ever worn.  Being my only pair of work boots they get a lot of wear, and have held up well for about 2 2/3 years now.  I'm confident I'll get at least 3 years out of them, in which case I'll be happy.
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 04:56:46 PM
Steel toed Doc M. boots and winter don't go along so well. :ahhh Liked them a lot but had to carry 2-3 pairs of socks to keep my toes warm.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 05:08:45 PM
IMHO, try and stay away from steel toes or shanks, and get boots that are composite instead.  They are lighter, and your feet won't get near as cold.  I know I won't go back to steel!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 05:29:49 PM
IMHO, try and stay away from steel toes or shanks, and get boots that are composite instead.  They are lighter, and your feet won't get near as cold.  I know I won't go back to steel!!
I stay away for steel toe for one reason only. Having the steel crushed against you toes sucks ass.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 05:37:21 PM

I stay away for steel toe for one reason only. Having the steel crushed against you toes sucks ass.

A buddy of mine says exactly the same thing.  My response to that is that if something falls on my toes that's heavy enough to crush the steel, my toes would be toast in non-steel toed boots.  I may be wrong, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.  Thanks to my steel toes, I've successfully foiled multiple attempts by our horses to break my foot/toes :).  On top of that, I can't begin to count how many times they've saved me from falling firewood.
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 05:44:21 PM

A buddy of mine says exactly the same thing.  My response to that is that if something falls on my toes that's heavy enough to crush the steel, my toes would be toast in non-steel toed boots.  I may be wrong, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.  Thanks to my steel toes, I've successfully foiled multiple attempts by our horses to break my foot/toes :).  On top of that, I can't begin to count how many times they've saved me from falling firewood.
A cow it what crushed mine. Weird right. She steped right on the very edge of the steel and it bent down. I have had my feet stepped on my cattle and horses, didn't hurt has much as that steel digging and cutting into my foot. Might have been a fluke, but it ruined me with steeltoe.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 06:08:07 PM

A cow it what crushed mine. Weird right. She steped right on the very edge of the steel and it bent down. I have had my feet stepped on my cattle and horses, didn't hurt has much as that steel digging and cutting into my foot. Might have been a fluke, but it ruined me with steeltoe.

Dang!  Hate that for ya.  Like I said, I've been stepped on multiple times by horses and never had that happen.  I totally understand your being gun-shy of steel toes though; reckon I probably would be too. 

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 06:40:03 PM
woah. I've been trodden on, stamped on, dropped heavy lumps of steel on my foot... never damaged a toe cap. Would definitely have broken my toes.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: December 26, 2014, 05:19:57 PM
Fall and winter at the marina I wear either Dunham or Carolina, Spring and summer I wear Merrell hikers. I prefer 6" work boots and the low hikers.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 02:59:47 AM
Ecco boots.... Amazing.  When the soles wear out, send 'me in to be renewed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: February 08, 2015, 07:28:22 PM
I just got a new pair of boots for work: Red Wing Irish Setters. First time ive bought red wings, so far im liking them. ill post throughout the year on how they hold up.  Im constantly in water, mud and grease from washing down/ working on heavy equipment, So truly Water Proof is a necessity. They are Composite toe, and pretty lite. I was very impressed with the Red Wing Store. They measured my feet, even checked what kind of instep/ arch i have. They said to bring them back in 2 weeks so they can condition and clean them. I can take them back for cleanings for as long as i own them! Wow, i didnt know any businesses still cared AFTER the sale.    After tax, $190.
WIN_20150208_105331.JPG
* WIN_20150208_105331.JPG (Filesize: 29.83 KB)
WIN_20150208_105407.JPG
* WIN_20150208_105407.JPG (Filesize: 31.19 KB)
WIN_20150208_105419.JPG
* WIN_20150208_105419.JPG (Filesize: 29.9 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: February 08, 2015, 07:40:50 PM
Sounds like a great service from Red Wing. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline lxbatty

Reply #49 on: February 08, 2015, 08:05:54 PM
for years my feet have loved JB Goodhue Bionic. Well made, very comfortable right out of the box, even when spending 10 and 12 hour days on concrete or in the mud.

I once bought some Caterpillars when I couldn't get my JB Goodhue's locally; and was extremely disappointed. They started coming apart within weeks. Caterpillar did replace them, but the second pair was no better and almost immediately again started falling apart. For their price; they were somewhere around $200, I expect much better. In my experience the $200 (CAD) range is about where the quality level really steps up. Under $200 boots can be OK, but once you go above that you tend to get into boots that are really well made.

I haven't worn any, but both Royer and Red Wing get high praise on the job sites I've been on.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 08:39:36 PM

i wear these v12 storm boots, :tu:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:44:05 PM by Zed »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: February 08, 2015, 08:43:21 PM

http://www.v12footwear.com/product/storm-v1219/#

i wear these v12 storm boots, :tu:

V12 Storm Waterproof Safety Boots V1219.

Conforms to EN ISO 20345. 2011. S3.
Lightweight composite toecap with 200J toe protection. 
Protective penetration resistant Mid-sole.

Anti-Static and Heat Resistant to 300º C.
Full grain Drummed cowhide upper.
Sympatex moisture wicking waterproof and breathable lining.
Brass eyelets.
Full length replaceable cushioned insole. 
Deep padded scoop collar. 
4-density phylon/rubber sole that is slip,acid, alkali and oil resistant (in weak concentrations).
Shock absorbing heel.
Weight - 861 grams.

Lovely lightweight and durable safety boots, ideal for agricultural and horticultural use.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 08, 2015, 09:06:00 PM
Sounds like a great service from Red Wing. :tu:
i was impressed with the service. time will tell. Also,  if i would've gotten boots with laces, they offer free replacement of laces for as long as you own the boots, along with the cleaning
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:07:20 PM by JBW1 »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 11:46:19 PM
Sweet! Those are nice looking boots JBW1.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: February 09, 2015, 12:01:35 AM
Thanks man, Im actually looking foreword to work tomorrow to try em out... its the little things that keep us going. A new tool, a sharp knife, and fresh out of the pack socks, will always make my day. :D     

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: February 09, 2015, 01:01:17 AM
So true!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline RailSurv

• New User
Reply #56 on: February 10, 2015, 08:56:03 PM
I wore Timberlands along time ago and switched to Redwings then to Carolinas then recently back to Redwings.  The type of work I do tears up the soles of my boots really quickly and we have a bunch of requirements on the type of boot we can wear (at least 8" lace up, steel toe, defined 90 degree heel, etc...) .  I totally destroyed my first pair of Redwings in a couple of months after switching to my current job.  I bought the Carolinas to replace them.  About a year in, I had to have the Carolinas resoled.  Back in December, my employer instituted a new boot policy and opened an account with Redwing.  We now get a new pair of Redwings every year on the company. So it'll be Redwings for the time being.
-RailSurv

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #58 on: February 14, 2015, 10:30:09 PM
I recently received these for free. Vintage Red Wing Irish Setters. I love these boots! Incredibly well made. Only issue is they cause blisters if worn all day. These are not my work boots, but rather something I will wear around during the day. If I worked in them my feet would be torn up. I still love wearing vintage Red Wings though. Does anyone know how old these are?

I'm the milk man!

Offline Crocker

Reply #59 on: February 15, 2015, 05:19:51 AM
Right now, Blundstone safety toes, black, and I really like them. Also have a pair of Dakotas which are surprisingly good for cheap boots. I don't need work boots for my current job but I wear them a lot when I'm working in my own shop or yard, or about town in crappy weather.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%