Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Changing belt holster position to improve comfort

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Changing belt holster position to improve comfort
on: December 12, 2014, 09:48:47 PM
I have been carrying folding knives and multitools in belt holsters since the 1970s.  Being left handed, I always carried the holsters at my side (3 to 4 o'clock position), oriented in a vertical position.

This worked well when carrying items which weighed under 8 ounces, but trying to carry heavier tools was uncomfortable.

I replaced my normal consumer grade leather belts with stiffer, tactical type belts. That helped, but not enough.

What made a biggest difference was changing to a horizontal carry holster located next to my belt buckle.   That placed the center of the holster at approximately the 10:30 position.    I can now carry my heaviest multitool (10.3 ounce Leatherman SuperTool 300) in comfort and it does not interfere when sitting.

My holster collection numbers several dozen, but most of them are for vertical carry.

I bought a Maxpedition Volta pouch, designed to carry batteries, and converted it for horizontal belt carry by installing 2 nylon webbing loops through the Volta's molle webbing (shown below).  I used super glue instead of sewing.

The Volta will fit a 4.5 inch multitool, e.g., Victorinox SwissTool, Leatherman SuperTool 300, SOG PowerLock, Super Bear Jaws, etc., with a little extra room for an accessory.

Link to Maxpedition Volta: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Volta-Battery-Case-p581.htm

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Changing belt holster position to improve comfort
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 11:46:48 PM
Nice idea. :tu: I would however add some stitching to the webbing, just to be safe. Superglue isn't that super. :D Even the heat from the radiator can undo it.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 04:26:40 PM
I too do like the horizontal carry, and I did make a few videos about making horizontal sheath, hope you may enjoy them:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 04:54:34 PM
I too do like the horizontal carry, and I did make a few videos about making horizontal sheath, hope you may enjoy them:

Good videos, comis.  Thanks for creating them.  I admire your experimentation with a magnetic design.

I described an inner tube horizontal sheath a few years ago, but I wore it on my hip instead of next to my belt buckle:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39336.msg631143.html#msg631143

The point I want to emphasize in this thread is that positioning the holster in front instead of on my side makes heavy weight tools feel lighter.  I can now carry multitools which I had previously left at home due to their weight.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 08:16:25 PM
Awesome thread.  I don't think my gut would allow me to carry a tool up front like that, but it's interesting anyways.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:34:13 PM
Awesome thread.  I don't think my gut would allow me to carry a tool up front like that, but it's interesting anyways.

Unless your holster is much wider than your belt, it won't interfere with your gut.  Try it out for a while.   The only difficult part is finding a decent holster which can be carried horizontally on your belt.

I bought a Maxpedition Single Sheath holster since my last post.  It is designed to be carried either horizontally or vertically, though it isn't large enough to fit the fat Leatherman OHT or Gerber MP800 well.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/SINGLE-SHEATH-139p187.htm

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:41:14 PM

Unless your holster is much wider than your belt, it won't interfere with your gut.  Try it out for a while.   The only difficult part is finding a decent holster which can be carried horizontally on your belt.

I bought a Maxpedition Single Sheath holster since my last post.  It is designed to be carried either horizontally or vertically, though it isn't large enough to fit the fat Leatherman OHT or Gerber MP800 well.

http://www.maxpedition.co...SINGLE-SHEATH-139p187.htm

I only have a nylon leatherman pouch, which I know wouldn't work.  I might do some searching to see if there is something I would like.  I prefer leather, but no one makes one that I would want.  I have considered getting into leatherworking, it might be the time now.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 08:45:19 PM
I've also used Spyderco G-Clips to convert vertical holsters to horizontal carry:

See:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56412.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%