Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fallkniven F1 Sheath Rattle Fix

Offline SomeOneWho

on: December 14, 2014, 12:13:44 AM
If you get the subject line of this post, you get it; otherwise, feel free to skip this post!

I really like my Fallkniven F1. I also really like the sheath it came with - the form factor is nice and trim with nothing extraneous. I got a custom leather sheath for it, which I also like, but it's somewhat more bulky. 

What I don't like is the loud rattling noise the knife makes when it's carried around in its sheath. How can this be a pilot's survival knife if you're downed and the enemy can hear your knife rattling in its sheath a quarter of mile away?! You're dead meat!

I finally figured out how to reduce the rattling noise substantially. I assume this would also work for the S1 and A1, but I don't have either of those (yet).

You'll notice that the opening of the sheath is somewhat narrower on the cutting edge side than on the spine side. With the knife in the sheath, if you hold the very end of the handle with two fingers and twist back-and-forth you'll feel that the cutting edge side doesn't move, but the spine side does. You'll also hear the spine "knocking" against the sheath while the blade edge side does not.

What better to fix anything than duct tape?? Actually, I used Gorilla Tape, which is a bit thicker and has good, strong adhesion.

I took 1" wide Gorilla tape and used scissors to cut it into 1/3" wide strips at about 1.5" long each. I then layered five of these strips on top of one another, basically making a single, five-ply, 1/3" wide strip of Gorilla Tape.

Take this five-ply strip of tape and stick/press it inside the sheath, on the anterior (i.e., front) spine side. Don't worry about the extra length of tape extending outside of the sheath when you press it in, this should be trimmed with a razor blade or sharp knife. Hopefully, the picture is more clear than my written instructions.

I've been using this for about a month now and it's held up well. Worst case is that I may need to expend a few inches of tape every six month to a year.

I don't frequent any of the knife forums, but please feel free to pass along the mod if you find it helpful.

Regards...
Fallkniven F1 Sheath Mod.jpg
* Fallkniven F1 Sheath Mod.jpg (Filesize: 163.65 KB)

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:09:55 PM
Ill have to try that! :tu:
The rattling has anoyed me too

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%