Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone ever make.....

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Anyone ever make.....
on: December 14, 2014, 05:34:40 PM
Anyone ever made an axe? I have some old leaf springs and thought I would make a hatchet out of one. I know I have to draw the temper out and form it but just wondering...
 As always thanks MTO
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Anyone ever make.....
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:30:19 AM
Man that'd be cool.

What are they off of?

And would you be making a head? Or the whole thing one peice?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 04:45:05 AM
Hmm, interesting. Keep us up to date on your project!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 04:50:05 AM
Don't remember what it's off of. I would be folding the steel over and welding it to form a head. Then re-harden the steel.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 06:48:47 AM
I'm sure I've seen one done on youtube  :think:

Good luck Steve  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 06:49:24 AM
I think it'd be pretty cool. Post pics!

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 02:24:35 PM
here's the basics provided you can already forge-weld
this is as best as I can describe without photos or video,I'm sure someone's youtubed it.

thin and flat the ends drawing outward while keeping the center full thickness. It should look like a bowtie or hourglass before you fold and weld the body of the axe. Weld the body starting at the edge of were you want the eye moving toward the cutting edge, being sure to leave enough un-welded material at the fold to drift open the eye (provided you are not using an eye mandrel to begin with) Do not work or thin the eye as you open it back up you need the mass there when done to backup  the taper of the blade for a good strike.

If you are using a bit scarf and fit it before welding as you will want to insert it in between the two layers when you get to the last 1/2in or so of your body weld making sure to heat and flux all pieces evenly, if not ignore this line.

Or if you are just looking at doing simple mouse hawks and throwing axes; take a strip and just roll the eye at one end on a mandrel not even bothering to weld it (kind of like the socket on a shingle cutter) and form your edge. These don't split at all because there's no real body or taper but with 4in or so from edge to eye they make good  light choppers and throwers. You just cant cut deep because they hit the eye the same way a knife stab would be stopped at the base of the blade when it hit the guard.

I am by no means an expert and its been about 5 years since I last made an axe, so my instructions are rudimentary at best. I remember doing a axe with a bit when first learning to forge weld 15yrs ago with little more than this, it sucked.
 Find a youtube video or if there's an ABANA affiliate near you check them out a member may be willing to help.

Leaf springs are usually in the same family as 5100 and 6100 series low chromium spring steels and tend to make good durable blades.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:30:04 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%