Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

College MT.o Users

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
College MT.o Users
on: December 14, 2014, 11:42:49 PM
I've seen a few mentions of others still being in school, so who among our ranks is currently in college? Online, nights, anything.

Secondly, what, if any, tools do you usually carry with you when you go?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: College MT.o Users
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:46:24 PM
I've seen a few mentions of others still being in school, so who among our ranks is currently in college? Online, nights, anything.

Secondly, what, if any, tools do you usually carry with you when you go?

I was a student (and full time worker) until last December,  I went to night school, and usually had a Wave or Charge on my hip, and a SAK in my pocket.

campus security had no issues with what I had,  however, I had been a student for 8 years, and had diffused some skirmishes before they became fights.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:53:19 PM
What were you taking? I remember you said you had a lot to do with physics, was it expanding on that?

I've also had no issues at all despite carrying on my hip, especially with the Schrade ST's massive sheath. I really think it's more an issue of making them have to look at you. If you never cause an issue and never give people a real reason to view it in a negative light I doubt there will be a problem.

us Offline detron

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 12:09:16 AM
What were you taking? I remember you said you had a lot to do with physics, was it expanding on that?

I've also had no issues at all despite carrying on my hip, especially with the Schrade ST's massive sheath. I really think it's more an issue of making them have to look at you. If you never cause an issue and never give people a real reason to view it in a negative light I doubt there will be a problem.

I did two Associates in Applied Science degrees, in in Electronic Information technology, and the other in Network Administration and Security.

then I did certificates in:  Cisco Networking, Fiber Optics, Network Automation, Network Security, Linux Administration, Computer Forensics Technician, and Computer Forensics Analyst.

GPA was 3.8

I miss being in school   :cry:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 12:25:13 AM
I'm sure I'll miss it when I'm done, but not at the moment. But good for you buddy, that's awesome! I'm at a 3.45 at the moment, but I'm only a sophmore.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:08:05 AM
I am in school every day except weekends.  ;)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 02:12:11 AM
I dropped out after three months. :-[
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 02:18:47 AM
I survived the whole thing with a Wenger Forester in my pocket. Never left my side.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 02:35:21 AM
I usually carry a minichamp, some form of keychain tool, and a fullsize. As well as a one piece in my wallet, certainly overkill, but I like to fiddle quite a bit.

us Offline detron

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 02:37:22 AM
I am in school every day except weekends.  ;)

but we PAID to go,  you get PAID to go   :rofl:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 03:54:15 AM
 :cheers:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 04:17:35 AM
I'm attending Northwest Florida State College. Currently working on a General AA. I plan to transfer to UWF in the summer of 2015 to pursue a degree in MariTime Studies.

I have 75% Tuition paid by the state of Florida but I still owe 600 bucks or so ever semester. (Tomorrow actually)

I carry my skeletool in my pockets, as well as a wave in my truck.

There have been a few occasions where a pocket knife was needed in classes to open things or even sharpen a pencil (THERE WAS 1 GUY WHO HASNT SWITCHED TO A MECHANICAL VERSION) (WHY?!?!?!?)

All of our mech/techs that drive around also carry a LM as well as our 1 Security Gaurd.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:17 AM
Wound't the obvious choice be a Wenger BusinessTool :D

Anyway, for me it was mostly the pioneer + classic combo.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 11:46:26 AM
As far as I know most countries will have a secondary school, followed by university. No college is needed.

I understand that college fits or is the last years of secondary school and the 1st, or foundation, of university..
I assume in the US you have to go to college.

In some areas/countries college and university do the same things too and in some they tend to do non-honours degrees, general training, HNDs, vocational courses etc.

If by college you mean University, Degree and postgraduate courses, then many years ago, at uni, I used to carry some sort of cheap locking knife, on my keychain.

I have been in  post graduate education of one way or other for many years.

Currently I carry whatever I feel like, but the Victorinox Manager on my keychain seems to be enough for most jobs (Scissors, pen, small knife...)
Plus some sort of slipjoint for any bigger tasks; more because i like to rather than because I need to.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 01:28:23 PM
That changes from country to country, and even from territory to territory.

In Canada, education is generally run by the Province, especially Elementary and High Schools. Elementary school runs from Kindergarten to grade 8. High School runs from grade 9 to 12. College is not part of the High School here. College and University are considered higher education. Colleges give out diplomas, and increasingly, partner with Universities to offer flexible courses that allow College students to enter University. Universities here offer 3 year bachelor degrees, 4 year Honours degrees, and 5+ years Master and Doctorate degrees. If you want to teach at the University level, you need at least a Masters. At the College level, you only need to be accredited in your profession or trade. To teach at the Elementary and High School levels, you need at least a 3 year Bachelors and a 1 year Bachelor of Education degree. That 1 year is commonly called Teacher's College, even though it has nothing to do with College, and is always at a University.

College here is needed depending on what you are going for. If you wish to be a lab technician, you need College. If you want to be a scientist, then you need University. Likewise, Nurse is College, Doctor is University. Teachers assistant is College, Teacher is University, etc... All indentured trades not only need a long apprenticeship, quite often, College is mixed in there for the classroom component. So in Canada, College plays a very important role in our education.

So yes, terms do bleed into one another. I understand the Americans have a different system of terminology, and possibly a different set of definitions.

As for me, I never carried anything during my education as that was my pre-multitool era. Not even a knife.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:33:31 PM by Chako »

us Offline CMUtuba

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 02:35:45 AM
I graduated in August, but in general I would have some kind of keychain tool as well as a Juice S2 or SAK (explorer or climber). My school had a rule banning anything larger than 3 inches or any locking blades. That being said, I often saw people with folders clipped to their pockets and nobody ever had issues that I know of.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 02:54:18 AM
I dropped out after three months. :-[
I made it to just before two years, I hated it! Yet was forced to take it, heck even my wife(gf at the time) did all my homework, in order to try to keep me in.. Give me the tools so I can get my hands dirty, you can have the books to tell me what part goes where..  Anyway, I went to a redneck area school and if you didn't have a pocket knife or Multitool you didn't fit in! I think I carried the original Gerber mt..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 06:13:19 PM
First, going on on DKS's and Chako's conversation :P

Here, the difference between college and university are mostly a question of the level (seems the same as Canada for that) already after Primary school (which ends around age 12) you get separated into different levels for highschool, those levels work to prepare you for education after that.
You have pretty much three levels:
A lower level that gets you into the real manual jobs (car mechanics, hairdressers and that kind of things, lower level nurses too)
Then you have a middle level (college) that's considered higher education but still quite practical, so nurses, but also some business things and things like that. Not necessarily practical in a manual way, but more in a way that you get really trained for a certain kind of job.
Then you have the highest ("scientific") level (University) that's difficult technical things (like architects and doctors) and also things like law, besides scientific things.

Then for reaction on the OP:

I'm in college right now, studying to be a nurse :D. As I'm doing an internship period now, with mostly psychiatrical patients, I don't carry anything there. (sharps and psych patients together aren't a good idea :P) At college itsself I will usually carry a small SAK. I do always have a fullsized MT (usually a Wave with bitkit and all) in my bag, in a Skinth :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 05:49:05 PM
Bump?  Anyone else starting the semester?

Classes suck this semester. Gen Chem, Statistics, and English 2 on Monday and Wednesday

And biology on Tuesday and Thursday for 3 hours

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 06:01:46 PM
Bump?  Anyone else starting the semester?

Classes suck this semester. Gen Chem, Statistics, and English 2 on Monday and Wednesday

And biology on Tuesday and Thursday for 3 hours

I have Physics 2, Calc, and 2 of my environmental classes that are rumored to be nightmarish.... :facepalm: Fortunately I'm done no later than 2 as opposed to 5 or 6 last semester

us Offline gregpost

Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 06:44:42 PM
 I attend a Florida public university. Somebody mentioned NWFSC, I actually took an online course there through Florida Virtual Campus. I always have a Swiss Army Knife in my bag because it lives there. When I was taking my Computer Engineering Technology courses I had a tool-kit with pretty much everything you would need to open a computer and make cables. My courses now are on the business and management side of Computer Information, so I don't need any hardware for that.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 08:51:47 PM
I work at one !

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 09:41:19 PM
I work at one !

Sak's  rule !

So you're professor colt? :D :pok:

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 09:50:32 PM

I work at one !

Sak's  rule !

So you're professor colt? :D :pok:

Oh no, not even !

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 04:43:25 PM
Currently studying engeneering but i will probably quit because were more trained as Computer experts than learning technical skills.
I europa we have a different schooling system than in the States but i've been carrying an MT for the last three years.
School security doesnt care that me and my mates are carrying mt's.
I live in a decent part of the country. But in the major city's the are verry strict on knife laws because people always stab each other with knife during a fight. Probably not with a edc knife but with a kitchen knife from home.
But they do spoil it for the other 99 percent of knife users and people who edc knifes so thanks for that   :facepalm:

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 04:44:44 PM
Currently studying engeneering but i will probably quit because were more trained as Computer experts than learning technical skills.
I europa we have a different schooling system than in the States but i've been carrying an MT for the last three years.
School security doesnt care that me and my mates are carrying mt's.
I live in a decent part of the country. But in the major city's the are verry strict on knife laws because people always stab each other with knife during a fight. Probably not with a edc knife but with a kitchen knife from home.
So don't ban the edc knifes but ban kitchen knifes :D
But they do spoil it for the other 99 percent of knife users and people who edc knifes so thanks for that   :facepalm:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 06:37:12 PM
I agree on 99% ruining it for the rest of us......

All I want to do is fix things, but how am I gonna do that if I'm not prepared?!

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 07:51:42 PM
I agree on 99% ruining it for the rest of us......

All I want to do is fix things, but how am I gonna do that if I'm not prepared?!

Your'e right, you can only open a knife here if youre alone or with relatives. if you do it in public everyone thinks that the first thing your'e going to do is stab the first person where you run in to.

I don't tink edc knifes are the problem, i bet most people get stabbed with kitchen knives because everyone has one. Most of the people who stab each other do not have the money or knowledge to buy a good knife like a cold steel recon or ak 47.

HORN- off topic alarm

au Offline bounding star

Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 01:22:24 PM
Im in secondary and i usually have just my aaa flashlight and a style cs/squirt s4 because scissors. I could probably get away with something bigger, but its not worth the risk and ill probably never need at school anyway

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 03:52:58 AM
Just found out that I have not one.... but twoooo X-ray diffraction lab reports due in the morning that I thought were due on Wednesday...... Each is likely to take 3+ hours. This is much much less than ideal...... :oops:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD