Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinel wayyyy too loose

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Opinel wayyyy too loose
on: December 16, 2014, 01:15:56 AM
So, I just got my first two Opinels. Though both are to be gifted rather than kept. Unfortunately one of the two No. 5s is so loose it just flops open and closed. It has to be given tomorrow, what should I do here friends?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Opinel wayyyy too loose
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:23:19 AM
Pop off the lock ring, hammer on the pin lightly, a bit at a time or you'll make it too tight.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 01:25:27 AM
The 5 is the biggest without a lockring, same advice applies right?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 02:11:20 AM
Ah, yeah just skip the first step then.  :D

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 02:25:16 AM
Ball peen or regular?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 03:09:46 AM
Ball peen if you have one.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 03:10:27 AM
But regular will work.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 03:12:01 AM
Okay. Thanks I appreciate it, is this a rare occurrence or just what to sort of expect with 9 dollar knives?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 11:16:25 AM
I believe it is rare with Opinels. I have 3 and none where loose.
Nate

SEND IT!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 12:26:12 PM
Ah, just man up! Use your teeth!

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 01:55:02 PM
This is a problem with Opinels that bug me a bit. They are 'fiddly' in that they have manufacturing
inconsistencies. You will get onet hat is too lose, and one that is too tight. Sometimes the locking ring needs some adjusting to work well.

But…the upside is, Opinels are very able to be very easily fiddled with. I've done many of them over the years, and they are a great cutter. Very few knives out there willslice and dice with an Opinel. And they are insanely light weight for their size. They make a great little edc pocket knife if all you want it a cutting tool. They are to light built for the tactical crowd who thinks you may have o pry up the hatch of an Abrams tank.

I like to sand them down, and give them a good couple coats of stain of my choice, and keep the pivot area well lubed with mineral oil or Vaseline rubbed into the wood. That helps a great deal with swelling from moisture, the Achilles heel of Opinels. I've got a number 8 that is pretty water resistant and will stand for total submerging  for 20 to 30 minutes and still be able to open.

The number 5 is a nice little pocket slicer. Just put some mineral oil i a shot glass, and place the knife pivot down in the pool for a few hours. Let it soak in good.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 01:59:00 PM
Why would I want to open a tank hatch or even think that I could with my SOG Vulcan?

Opinels are sweet cutters. I like the carbon steel ones. They sharpen up like a razor with no effort.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:02:15 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 02:27:54 PM
I had a loose no5 and just tapped the pin as said above :tu: I also did this to a no6 that I carry with no lock ring  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 05:50:50 PM
I wish mine were that loose. It's hard to get them open, I tried to open and close them repeatedly and leaving them open over night to see if they'd loosen up but to no avail so far...

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 06:12:33 PM
I wish mine were that loose. It's hard to get them open, I tried to open and close them repeatedly and leaving them open over night to see if they'd loosen up but to no avail so far...

No, that stuff only works sometimes with conventional pocket knives. Opinel's are different. You have to realize that the blade is sandwiched in between wood, instead of brass or other metal liners like on other knives. The wood shrinks and expands according to how damp the air is, or how wet you get it when rinsing it off. Shrinking is not a huge problem, but expanding or swelling can be. It makes the knife hard to open. This can be minimized by making sure the knife is very dry, like leaving it on top of the car dashboard on a sunny day, then submerging the pivot end in a shot glass full of mineral oil. Let soak for a few hours. Dry off with paper towel, and put to use.

This makes sure the wood around the pivot is nice and saturated with the mineral oil, so the water in the atmosphere can't affect it much. Opinel's need a bit more care than regular conventional built pocket knives. But not a lot.

Another trick I've used, is to take a pipe cleaner, and smear some Vaseline jelly in the joint. Work it around good. Then use the 'ol lades blow drier to blow hot air and melt the Vaseline until it disappears into the wood. Do this a few times and you'll have an almost water proof Opinel.

It sounds like Opinels do need a bit of care, but they are worth it as they cut so darn good. They get sharp if you hold it near a sharpening stone, and get so sharp that the hairs on the back of your arm jump off when the Opinel gets close, rather than stay and face that blade!  :D

If your Opinel is too tight, you can fix that very easy. JUst take a large screw driver, and place it in between the steel bolster, and twist gently, I said gently, until it loosens up a bit.

Agaian, easy does it. Twist a little, they try it. If it needs a little more, twist again, easy does it. If you get it too loose, just lay it on a hammer head as an anvil. making sure the rivet head is on the anti. Then use another hammer and just tap the end of the pivot pin to peen it a bit, gently. Tap and try it.

An other thing I like to do is, take some sandpaper, and dish out the belly of the handle a bit, so more of the blade is exposed when closed. This lets you pinch the blade a bit more on a snug Opinel, making it a bit easier to open with a snug action like I like them. In the second photo, you can see the belly of the handle has been taken down. I use some course 220 grit, followed by 500 to smooth it out. Then whatever finish you like. Rubbed linseed oil, tung oil, varnish.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:23:57 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 07:17:27 PM
I fixed it!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 07:53:54 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 08:57:08 PM
Maaayyybeee.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:23:18 PM
Holy smurf these things are sharp, I am really tempted to get myself one with Christmas money after fooling with these for a second. Opinions on what size?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 01:16:02 AM
I think 6 and 8 are most popular, I like both.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 01:56:22 AM
I got a No.7 and 2 No.8s. Great lite folding knivies.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 02:59:05 AM
I was thinking of the 6 as it is the smallest that "locks", and is small enough that it is different than what I typically carry so it may prompt me to get a bit more use out of it. I like the fact that they are high maintenance, more of a reason to fiddle!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 12:44:11 PM

No, that stuff only works sometimes with conventional pocket knives. Opinel's are different. You have to realize that the blade is sandwiched in between wood, instead of brass or other metal liners like on other knives. The wood shrinks and expands according to how damp the air is, or how wet you get it when rinsing it off. Shrinking is not a huge problem, but expanding or swelling can be. It makes the knife hard to open. This can be minimized by making sure the knife is very dry, like leaving it on top of the car dashboard on a sunny day, then submerging the pivot end in a shot glass full of mineral oil. Let soak for a few hours. Dry off with paper towel, and put to use.

This makes sure the wood around the pivot is nice and saturated with the mineral oil, so the water in the atmosphere can't affect it much. Opinel's need a bit more care than regular conventional built pocket knives. But not a lot.

Another trick I've used, is to take a pipe cleaner, and smear some Vaseline jelly in the joint. Work it around good. Then use the 'ol lades blow drier to blow hot air and melt the Vaseline until it disappears into the wood. Do this a few times and you'll have an almost water proof Opinel.

It sounds like Opinels do need a bit of care, but they are worth it as they cut so darn good. They get sharp if you hold it near a sharpening stone, and get so sharp that the hairs on the back of your arm jump off when the Opinel gets close, rather than stay and face that blade!  :D

If your Opinel is too tight, you can fix that very easy. JUst take a large screw driver, and place it in between the steel bolster, and twist gently, I said gently, until it loosens up a bit.

Agaian, easy does it. Twist a little, they try it. If it needs a little more, twist again, easy does it. If you get it too loose, just lay it on a hammer head as an anvil. making sure the rivet head is on the anti. Then use another hammer and just tap the end of the pivot pin to peen it a bit, gently. Tap and try it.

An other thing I like to do is, take some sandpaper, and dish out the belly of the handle a bit, so more of the blade is exposed when closed. This lets you pinch the blade a bit more on a snug Opinel, making it a bit easier to open with a snug action like I like them. In the second photo, you can see the belly of the handle has been taken down. I use some course 220 grit, followed by 500 to smooth it out. Then whatever finish you like. Rubbed linseed oil, tung oil, varnish.

Makes sense. I just hope it's the metal ring that presses the wood toghether tighter and by "opening" the ring the wood opens up a little more. If the groove in the wood is just too narrow, it won't do much difference.

I also thought of puting some sand paper over the back of the open blade and then close it so as to the sand paper widening a little the groove in the handle around the pivot.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 02:58:28 PM

Makes sense. I just hope it's the metal ring that presses the wood toghether tighter and by "opening" the ring the wood opens up a little more. If the groove in the wood is just too narrow, it won't do much difference.

I also thought of puting some sand paper over the back of the open blade and then close it so as to the sand paper widening a little the groove in the handle around the pivot.

You can sand the blade slot by just folding up a sheet of sandpaper two or three times and working it down in the slot back and forth. If the wood is too tight around the blade, pressing in with the screw driver while opening up the bolsters will push in the wood a bit and give you and easier blade open.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, and it's very important. These knives are really sharp. Tape up the blade before working on them. ONe slip and you can get cut really bad. A sharp Opinel won't stop until it hits bone!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 09:25:42 PM
Lots of good advice in this thread, One thing I would add is the steel is nice and hard but a little brittle so the tips can break off if you use them for prying  :whistle:

Everyone knows No10 is the best size  :tu:

Mine, 10 & 7

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 12:54:17 AM
I have some 6,7,and 8s of various vintages, both stainless and carbon.  I like the older carbon ones with character and darkness in the blade but I dont use them for food for fear of what might be growing in the pivot area.

The only problem with these knives is the pivot area either being too loose or too tight.  Easy remidies though

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 08:20:20 AM
Faults aside they are fantastic knives :)

I do wish they'd do smaller outdoor knives though as I was quite happy with my one, but wish it was PE and either a no 6 or 7 rather than an 8 so I could edc it :)

The vibrolock is I think the perfect lock in the UK as its easy to make it appear a normal slippie, or just pop the collar of and make it a genuine slippie :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 12:32:27 PM
I'm trying to get mine to do this (or very close to this).

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 12:36:33 PM
Faults aside they are fantastic knives :)

I do wish they'd do smaller outdoor knives though as I was quite happy with my one, but wish it was PE and either a no 6 or 7 rather than an 8 so I could edc it :)

The vibrolock is I think the perfect lock in the UK as its easy to make it appear a normal slippie, or just pop the collar of and make it a genuine slippie :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Virobloc, actually. It's not supposed to vibrate...

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 12:40:55 PM
.    :D
1bhf.jpg
* 1bhf.jpg (Filesize: 33.65 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%