Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox, how many layers?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Alox, how many layers?
Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 05:03:02 AM
Yes, keeping it vertical makes a big difference in comfort.  It's much less noticeable that way.  I've had no problem fitting any of mine in the jean's 5th pocket, but that could depend on how tight they are :think:  The little pocket within the front pocket on the pants I wear to work can actually fit both the Rogueneer and Rogue with no trouble, so a Swisschamp or wide alox custom would fit in there fine.  Even using a suspension clip would make a big difference.
K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 05:04:23 AM
I suppose I could, but I have space next to my wallet.  If I'm carrying an Alox, I'll clip a 58mm (Manager) to my Olight i3s and let those ride in my change pocket.  Sometimes a Squirt will ride in my change pocket, or an LM Mini.  The change pocket contents rotate quite a bit, but my primary knife always rides next to my wallet.

Right.

My primary knife is clipped RFP. Some form of Spyderco.

Like the light/Keychain size SAK in the 5 pocket idea though.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 05:06:29 AM
Yes, keeping it vertical makes a big difference in comfort.  It's much less noticeable that way.  I've had no problem fitting any of mine in the jean's 5th pocket, but that could depend on how tight they are :think:  The little pocket within the front pocket on the pants I wear to work can actually fit both the Rogueneer and Rogue with no trouble, so a Swisschamp or wide alox custom would fit in there fine.  Even using a suspension clip would make a big difference.

Problem with the suspension clip is unlike you some of us actually rotate what we carry and I can not afford like 10 clips.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 05:15:38 AM

Problem with the suspension clip is unlike you some of us actually rotate what we carry and I can not afford like 10 clips.

True, but you could just switch the clip to whatever one you plan on carrying that day, although I know that could be a pain unless the clip is easily detached.  Plus if you clip a folder to your RFP, that would take the SAK's spot anyway, unless you'd clip the SAK to the LFP. 
K-Tibbs

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 05:34:45 AM
3 layers is Alox perfection.
G

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 05:35:14 AM
I put pocket clip on everything.
Alox Farmer.JPG
* Alox Farmer.JPG (Filesize: 50.22 KB)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 05:35:55 AM
Two layers Alox feel too thin in hand, 3 layers better.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 05:39:40 AM
Two layers Alox feel too thin in hand, 3 layers better.

A lot of folks are saying three is the way to go. Think that is what I will shoot for on my first custom.

Pocket clip is nice to have but imo takes away from the sexy look of the Alox. Would be better if I could find another answer, 5th pocket or some such. Maybe P2 Skinth.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 06:10:29 AM
I like the P-7 clip on any sak over two layers.  It hangs effortlessly down the side of the pocket and allows me to keep other stuff in the pocket too.  Takes the bulk of the sak away, I think!  :)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 06:12:10 AM
I like the P-7 clip on any sak over two layers.  It hangs effortlessly down the side of the pocket and allows me to keep other stuff in the pocket too.  :)

Yeah I might break down and get a few or two and some pico clips co I can switch them out between various SAKs.

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 06:32:47 AM
I carry a 4 layer Syph Alox. It is a little on the thick/heavy side but I've gotten used to it.

I've hand sewed an extra inside pocket on my jeans. That way I can carry SAKs vertically and protected from other objects on my pocket. It works great with Soldier/Electrician and other Alox without key rings (you can't put P7 clips on them).
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 256.03 KB)

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 06:36:24 AM

I carry a 4 layer Syph Alox. It is a little on the thick/heavy side but I've gotten used to it.

I've hand sewed an extra inside pocket on my jeans. That way I can carry SAKs vertically and protected from other objects on my pocket. It works great with Soldier/Electrician and other Alox without key rings (you can't put P7 clips on them).
GENIUS!

au Offline harronek

Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 06:37:14 AM
The problem with 5th pocket carry for me is that the knife always lays horizontal at the bottom of the pocket , hooking it out can become a circus contortionists act .
The only way it works for me is to have a paracord lanyard that you leave hanging out of the pocket , grab the lanyard and just pull the knife out .
I have begun to only want SAK's with the lanyard ring now , don't think I'll buy another without one again .
I curse that the Harvester doesn't have a ring because that combo would be my ultimate , and cover all my requirements .

Ken

PS - many SAK owners scoff at the idea of a belt sheath for such a small knife , until you have worn one for a length of time you don't know what your missing , my conversion to sheath carry is what got me started in making my own sheaths , try belt sheath carry you might like it .

A designer know he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 06:41:07 AM

GENIUS!

Thanks  :hatsoff:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 06:44:35 AM
The problem with 5th pocket carry for me is that the knife always lays horizontal at the bottom of the pocket , hooking it out can become a circus contortionists act .
The only way it works for me is to have a paracord lanyard that you leave hanging out of the pocket , grab the lanyard and just pull the knife out .
I have begun to only want SAK's with the lanyard ring now , don't think I'll buy another without one again .
I curse that the Harvester doesn't have a ring because that combo would be my ultimate , and cover all my requirements .

Ken

PS - many SAK owners scoff at the idea of a belt sheath for such a small knife , until you have worn one for a length of time you don't know what your missing , my conversion to sheath carry is what got me started in making my own sheaths , try belt sheath carry you might like it .

I do not scoff at the idea and wonder when you will make one for me?  :pok:

Nice! I will take 4 pairs please.

Yes, keeping it vertical makes a big difference in comfort.

Oh I almost forgot.

Thats what she said.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #45 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:41 AM
1 layer is nice and slim and disappears in your pocket but a bit skinny to hold.  2 is great for EDC and feels ok, doesn't take up too much space.  3 is more comfy to hold, and though it looks like it's getting a bit fat, a Farmer is not much thicker than a Tinker.  4 layers is starting to get a bit chunky, but feels great.

If I were you, I'd buy a Solo, a Pioneer and a Farmer and make your own mind up.  Then get your custom one made.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #46 on: December 18, 2014, 09:57:12 AM

If I were you, I'd buy a Solo, a Pioneer and a Farmer and make your own mind up.  Then get your custom one made.

Deal.

Want me to Pm you my address?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #47 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:06 AM
Sure.  Shipping will cost the same as last time. ;)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #48 on: December 18, 2014, 11:56:32 AM
Sure.  Shipping will cost the same as last time. ;)

Son of a smurf.

What is it about GB that makes shipping so much?

Ah well off to the gym. Can't maintain a body like this sitting at the computer all day.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #49 on: December 18, 2014, 12:24:18 PM
I like the reassuring heft of the farmer. I worried that the pioneer might be a bit light in hand, but not having a problem with it at the moment. As for 4 layers... I think it might be a bit crazy.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #50 on: December 18, 2014, 01:38:16 PM
I could go for a CT41 Alox with the back tool also.
So that would be 7 layers. I could carry that easy.
Nate

SEND IT!

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #51 on: December 18, 2014, 06:29:13 PM

Brilliant.
I just don´t dare asking my wife to help me to do that. I think it would rise a lot of questions and I´m pretty sure she´d assume I had some dirty tricks planned, like the infamous hole in the pocket.....

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 07:09:22 PM

Brilliant.
I just don´t dare asking my wife to help me to do that. I think it would rise a lot of questions and I´m pretty sure she´d assume I had some dirty tricks planned, like the infamous hole in the pocket.....

My wife is a little feed up with my SAK hobby so when I asked her to take my jeans to the tailor (can you see from this where I'm going?) to put the new pockets (I had already sewed one pair as a "prototype" that she could use a a sample) she just rolled here eyes and said she would do it.

Two week passed and nothing so I decided to literally take things on my own hands. I was able to hand sew each pair in about 10-15 minutes with very little previous experience. I did come up with some measurements (I'm a mechanical engineer  :D) and draw some reference lines with a carpenter's pencil on the fabric to make things easier. I've had no problem with them yet (I did double stitch them). They were sewed a month ago.

I might not be brave enough to do a full MOD yet (I've been rescaling SAKs for ever, though) but this is a no risk endeavor anyone can tackle.  Go ahead, challenge yous self, just do it! :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:11:07 PM by ebarberena »

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #53 on: December 18, 2014, 07:10:28 PM
Sorry, double post.  :twak:

us Offline toddwalla

• ^^Electrician and Tourist
Reply #54 on: December 18, 2014, 07:44:58 PM
It is always the 2 layer SAKs that find their way into my pocket, collidor or Alox, just perfect for me. I carry them vertically in my RFP next to my wallet.  :tu:
Looking for a Vic Tourist with a metal HILTI inlay.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #55 on: December 19, 2014, 03:45:53 AM
It is always the 2 layer SAKs that find their way into my pocket, collidor or Alox, just perfect for me. I carry them vertically in my RFP next to my wallet.  :tu:

You front pocket wallet carriers make me nervous. That kinda smurf is just unnatural.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: December 19, 2014, 04:08:35 AM

You front pocket wallet carriers make me nervous. That kinda smurf is just unnatural.
You hang around here long enough, there's not much left of a wallet, so you can carry it wherever you want...basically it's just there to keep my SAK upright :)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #57 on: December 19, 2014, 04:14:54 AM

You hang around here long enough, there's not much left of a wallet, so you can carry it wherever you want...basically it's just there to keep my SAK upright :)

Lol, that's true, and Harley is likely already experiencing this decrease in wallet size ;)  Mine still stays in my back pocket though...
K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #58 on: December 19, 2014, 06:32:28 AM

Lol, that's true, and Harley is likely already experiencing this decrease in wallet size ;)  Mine still stays in my back pocket though...

Yeah it is a good thing I do not have much else to spend money on over here.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #59 on: March 20, 2015, 03:57:14 AM
So here I am thinking to myself "I wonder the techniques people use to pocket carry SAKs" and I find this thread right off the bat...this forum is my new favorite website!!!

I have an office job wearing slacks. I carry a Pioneer upright in my rear left pocket, with a folded handkerchief filling the rest of the pocket (much like others use their wallet). The fold in the handkerchief is placed near the knife and a knotted piece of paracord attached to the knife hangs in the fold. The SAK doesn't move all day, is easy to get to, and it doesn't get in the way when you sit because it's on the outside of the old butt check. I tried using my wallet instead of the handkerchief, but the wallet comes out 100 times a day to scan my id so the knife kept falling.

When wearing jeans I carry a Skeletool (with the clip removed) in pretty much the same way. The handkerchief gets  rotated 90 degrees to make more room, and the bulkier Skeletool doesn't require the attached paracord trick. 

Now to the dilemma...I want to switch up "my weekend shorts carry"... I'm leaning towards a Pioneer Harvester with  a Squirt PS4 on the keychain. But the Harvester doesn't have a lanyard and  I'm not confident that my method will work as well without the paracord in the fold. I don't like clips showing so the sewed in pocket divider sounds like my best option. Unless one of you wizards has a trick for adding a lanyard to an Alox SAK???
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:04:52 AM by tommywp »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD