Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bed-Liner Jeep Fun! Pic Heavy!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Bed-Liner Jeep Fun! Pic Heavy!
on: December 18, 2014, 01:26:44 AM
So i've got a new addiction other than forums. And its Bed-Lining things!!!

I use U-Pol Raptor liner. Its more aggressive than Line-X or Rhino Liner and its 1/8th the price for a Black DIY kit. They also make a tintable kit, and you can add any automotive color you'd like. Its flexible, glossy, and easy to spray.

Over this christmas break a buddy of mine wanted to do part of his Jeep, and i wanted more time behind a spray gun before i spray my truck and bumpers.

The first thing to do was pull the Jeep to the side of the house, i was worried about overspray on the pieces we could not remove.

Next came SLOWLY taking the fenders and caps off. This was an utter pain.

Once everything was removed, we sanded the plastic with 80 grit. Hit the metal with a wire brush, washed it, used an acid etch primer. Then shot it.

Side Note: Using playing cards as rim/tire guards works flawlessly. Just make sure you use real Bicycle Brand. The amount of plastic coating makes a word of Difference.

No spray pictures, we we both had issues with a clog in the gun and our hands will be black polka dots until February.

As you can tell, i am a believer in hanging things up to paint them. I am also 6'4" so the higher the better.

The Skeletool had QUITE the workout today. Cutting and bending coat hangers. Opening bottles, cutting rope, removing wheel weights, and even some paint scraping. No photos tho, our hands were disgusting.

Ill have to take more photos tomorrow when it all goes back on, I just hope overnight the rims will harden enough so that the centrifugal force of driving with them doesn't spread the liner towards the wheels.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Bed-Liner Jeep Fun! Pic Heavy!
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:31:07 AM
Pics
IMG_3399.JPG
* IMG_3399.JPG (Filesize: 434.14 KB)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:34:59 AM
The box as well as a tire
IMG_3406.JPG
* IMG_3406.JPG (Filesize: 133.41 KB)
IMG_3405.JPG
* IMG_3405.JPG (Filesize: 157.67 KB)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:38:01 AM
Hangin
IMG_3408.JPG
* IMG_3408.JPG (Filesize: 372.53 KB)
IMG_3404.JPG
* IMG_3404.JPG (Filesize: 499.27 KB)
IMG_3409.JPG
* IMG_3409.JPG (Filesize: 364 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:12:19 AM
That's awesome.  I have been thinking of doing the interior of the tub, grille, hood, fenders and some other parts of my old TJ in bed liner.  I was looking at Herculiner but maybe I'll check out this Raptor stuff.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:55:39 AM
That's awesome.  I have been thinking of doing the interior of the tub, grille, hood, fenders and some other parts of my old TJ in bed liner.  I was looking at Herculiner but maybe I'll check out this Raptor stuff.

Def
I would stay away from herculiner. His tub and about 3" around the rockers is done in it, it's faded, it has shrinked about 1/4" and it's also really flat. Almost looks like drywall texture!

I would also stay away from anything that isn't spray on. It's so much easier to spray evenly then to roll evenly. Just do the hard angles first and use a 1" brush to dab anywhere in nooks and crannies.

Do a Google search for "raptor liner forum" and you'll find tons of real world write up's and pictures

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:54 AM
Good to know. Thanks for the suggestion.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 01:47:58 PM
Nice, love the 52 trick! I picked up some cheap stuff and had some fun with my water bottle and flashlight.. :think: where the flashlight went I have no clue.. But make sure to post some pics when done!!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 02:58:14 PM
What size nozzle do you need in the spray gun for it to spray properly? 

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 03:04:04 PM
You use a U-Pol Gun. It's 18 bucks.

I think they call it a shutz gun.

It had a screw end peice on it so you can "adjust" the texture but in reality the only thing that really changes texture is the air pressure.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 03:27:58 PM

It had a screw end peice on it so you can "adjust" the texture but in reality the only thing that really changes texture is the air pressure.
Gotcha.  I have one that I use for spraying rust inhibitor.  I might looking into this come spring time as I wouldn't mind doing the lower half of the Jeep with it.  I've thought of doing the whole thing, but not sure if I'd like it or not.

I have an Olive Drab aircraft paint that I have also thought about using to paint it.  Decisions decisions.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 03:30:55 PM

Gotcha.  I have one that I use for spraying rust inhibitor.  I might looking into this come spring time as I wouldn't mind doing the lower half of the Jeep with it.  I've thought of doing the whole thing, but not sure if I'd like it or not.

I have an Olive Drab aircraft paint that I have also thought about using to paint it.  Decisions decisions.
If you buy a tint able kit you might be able to paint it textured olive drab. That'd be interesting!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:31:55 PM

If you buy a tint able kit you might be able to paint it textured olive drab. That'd be interesting!
Hmmmm, I actually like the sound of that!  Must hit Google to see what I can find! :D

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 08:07:08 PM
Here is the finished project

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 09:25:10 PM
That turned out NICE! :tu:
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 10:50:52 PM
Looks good, I like it!!  :tu:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 12:04:29 AM
JR
Thank you! The only change I would make is either doing the hubcaps and leaving them IN the rim. Or leaving them out completely.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 02:36:44 AM
JR
Thank you! The only change I would make is either doing the hubcaps and leaving them IN the rim. Or leaving them out completely.
What do you mean, I like the rims!
JR

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 03:00:50 AM
JR
JR
Well we painted the hub caps out of the rim. So after they dried over night and we tried to slide them back in the rim we forgot that the added thickness in the hub cap meant it wouldn't slide into the rim without ripping out half the bed liner.

Don't ever bed line anything that has small clearances.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 07:32:47 AM
JR
JR
Well we painted the hub caps out of the rim. So after they dried over night and we tried to slide them back in the rim we forgot that the added thickness in the hub cap meant it wouldn't slide into the rim without ripping out half the bed liner.

Don't ever bed line anything that has small clearances.
Oh, I thought the rims in the pic were just steel rims and nothing to do with hubs, I like them just as they are..
JR

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 02:00:17 AM
I have a set of Gambler style rims on my TJ now- they used to be the higher end rims that came with the fancier models (misnomer really, there never were a lot of options available on Wranglers until the JK) but they are pitted and scratched.  I was thinking I might get them powdercoated or something, but I like this idea much better.  I'd mask off some spots like the outermost ring on the rim as I would like some silver to show through.

I also have a set of 5 spoke rims for it that would also look nice all black.

Here are the wheels I have:

The rubber on both are shot and need to be replaced, but I'm holding off as I am planning to do a lift as well.  That Goodyear Wrangler on the left is actually the factory original spare, never been used.  It's so cracked that it would only get me 50 feet up the road before I had a second flat!

I'd really like to try and color match (as much as possible) the body parts I am going to cover, at least for the outside.  The Jeep is Solar Yellow, which I imagine would be a hard color to match.  Any idea how difficult it is to tint this stuff?

Def

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 06:38:07 PM
Will the liner make the wheels more difficult to balance?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 05:05:26 AM
I have a set of Gambler style rims on my TJ now- they used to be the higher end rims that came with the fancier models (misnomer really, there never were a lot of options available on Wranglers until the JK) but they are pitted and scratched.  I was thinking I might get them powdercoated or something, but I like this idea much better.  I'd mask off some spots like the outermost ring on the rim as I would like some silver to show through.

I also have a set of 5 spoke rims for it that would also look nice all black.

Here are the wheels I have:

The rubber on both are shot and need to be replaced, but I'm holding off as I am planning to do a lift as well.  That Goodyear Wrangler on the left is actually the factory original spare, never been used.  It's so cracked that it would only get me 50 feet up the road before I had a second flat!

I'd really like to try and color match (as much as possible) the body parts I am going to cover, at least for the outside.  The Jeep is Solar Yellow, which I imagine would be a hard color to match.  Any idea how difficult it is to tint this stuff?

Def
A few things here, I'll try to remember it all

The tint able stuff is super easy. If you order paint with the exact paint code it should come out to a nearly perfect match. Just remember 1) the sun has faded original paint. And 2) the new stuff is textured...it will look a smidgen different.

The "bottle" has grooves on it. You simply add hardner to the first groove, then paint to the second. Very simple. Just mix, then mix more, then shake it. It really helps if it's warm.

I recomemd used acid etch #8 from UPOL to use on the rime before you bed line them.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 05:07:23 AM
Will the liner make the wheels more difficult to balance?
Surprisingly no. We only sprayed the outside. And had the shop use stick on weights on the inside.

They used less weight then the tires had before we painted them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%