Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP800 requires significant force to cut thick copper wire

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
My new Gerber MP800 Legend cuts small gauge wire (e.g., 20 or 22) easily.  In contrast, cutting 10 gauge solid copper wire with the MP800 requires squeezing the handles very hard.

Today, I compared the MP800 effort to cutting the same wire using these other large multitools:

Victorinox Swisstool
  Leatherman Supertool 300
  SOG Powerlock
  Super Bear Jaws

The MP800 is equipped with the carbide cutting blades and requires considerably more pressure than the other 4 multitools.  Perhaps that is due to the relatively flat angle of the carbide cutting blades.

The Supertool 300 has 154CM blades.  Though it cut the 10 gauge wire more easily than the MP800, the Supertool 300 required more force than the Swisstool, Super Bear Jaws, and (of course) the SOG Powerlock.  The latter three tools have sharper, non replaceable cutting blades.

Anyone else observe the same phenomenon?

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Gerber MP800 requires significant force to cut thick copper wire
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:04:19 AM
Yeah, the grade of steel won't affect how well it cuts, just how long it lasts and how little wear/damage occurs. Ease of cutting is all in the edge geometry  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 02:14:33 AM
Yeah, the grade of steel won't affect how well it cuts, just how long it lasts and how little wear/damage occurs. Ease of cutting is all in the edge geometry  :salute:

You could change your name to zoidberg, it would save me some posts.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:26:11 AM
Another point is the leverage (length of handle, distance of cutter from plier head axis) and the geometry of the plier handles.
On some it´s harder to get a good grip because they are far apart (MP 800) or oddly shaped or do hurt (think PST).

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 08:18:50 PM
yes, I've found that cutting thick stuff with the Gerber replaceable cutters is really difficult.
Cutting thick stuff with the Rebar/ST300 cutters is a lot harder than it is with the Wave ones too, for exactly the same reason.

Unless you're cutting lots of really hard things, the older-style cutters are better.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 11:23:02 AM
yes, I've found that cutting thick stuff with the Gerber replaceable cutters is really difficult.
Cutting thick stuff with the Rebar/ST300 cutters is a lot harder than it is with the Wave ones too, for exactly the same reason.

Unless you're cutting lots of really hard things, the older-style cutters are better.

I retrofitted an old style Bluntnose head to my EDC MP 600 after trying out the replaceable cutters. I don´t come across really hard wire too often and, at least with the 2 heads I could compare, the standard one cut copper wire, fencing wire and coat hangers better.
That is about all I do cut regularly at work. I think I might add a Needlenose Plier head with replaceable cutters to my bike Tool kit for the rare occasions I might need one.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
... Unless you're cutting lots of really hard things, the older-style cutters are better.

To add to this, I tried stripping the insulation from 22 gauge stranded copper wire with a few different multitools.  I was able to strip it using the conventional cutters found in the Gerber M400 and SOG/Paladin PT-510.

I could cut, but not strip the same wire using the Gerber MP600's replaceable carbide cutters.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%