Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just because

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Just because
on: December 20, 2014, 07:01:16 PM
Gerber Shift
Gerber Legend
Or
Knifeless MP600

MP 600 is probably my favorite Gerber tool. I have 2 already.
Before the LM Wave came out I thoughtp the MP800 was "the"tool to aspire to.
I saw a very positive review on the MP1 recently. But I wasn't impressed with the Strata and NO SCISSORS!
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Just because
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:59:30 AM
Out of those I'd say the Knifeless MP600, for one reason ...

Gerber's Saf-T locking system is inherently flawed.

The retention on all tools closed is good.
When one tool is open, the retention on THAT tool is good.
The retention on the other tools in that handle when one tool is open varies from OK to bloody terrible

Kirky had that problem with a Fit. My Fit is the same, but the tighter pivot tension makes it a bit safer, though my Strata has the same issue and is verging on getting quite stabby. Take a look at any of the pics posted online here of any Gerbers with that system with one of the tools deployed. You'll probably notice that the pull back lugs that release the tool have not set back as high as the lugs in the handle with all tools shut. The reason for this is Gerber seems unable to make the back of the tool tang the same as the front, so the lock doesn't return to the same position when the tool is open. This puts all the locking force on the open tools, and the closed tools are held in position by pivot tension and friction only.

Gerber owners may test this by picking up any of their outboard tools, locking out one implement, then gently lifting out any of the other implements in that handle and seeing how much play there is before the tang of that implement contacts and wants to move the locking plate. Then do the same with the other handle, or with other implements on the handle. When a tool is well used that pivot tension and friction fades, which means the tools can slop out of the handle by the extent of play you have just discovered. If those tools are in any way sharp, you might get a nasty surprise. The MP600 adds an extra safety factor with the tools being inboard, as this means that even if a tool should flop out of the handle, it is inside of the tool and not liable to cut/poke you in the hand.

This is not an aspect of the Gerber tools that gets much coverage/public airing, but that play and the locks favouring the deployed tool is evident on pretty much all my Gerbers that have the Saf-T lock (inboard or outboard), and I have witnessed the same on other people's tools and on pics online.

PLEASE NOTE:
Despite this, I STILL prefer some of the Gerber tools with this characteristic over some of the offerings from their competition (which shows you how low I consider some of the competing tools). This should not be considered an anti-Gerber post in any way, purely a heads up of something to be aware of for those who haven't discovered it for themselves, and for those who have concerns, increasing plier tension when the wear sets in (or even just being aware of the docked tool play) will help prevent any unpleasant surprises in tool use. As I am aware of the potential for this, I have never had an issue with the tools being unsafe, but I won't lend any tools which are developing play to friends etc who may not be aware of the potential for a sharp docked tool to be poking out into the palm

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 06:51:43 AM
I recently bought a new Gerber MP800 Legend and like it so far.  The fit and finish is better than I expected.

The knife, scissors, and pliers have been pressed into service.   The knife was gnat castrating sharp out of the box.

Haven't had enough time with it yet to find all the shortcomings.   The combination bottle opener/flat head screwdriver looks like it could be a weak link, but I think it is the same design found in the MP600 series and other models.

As others have reported, the MP800 is wider than most.   I have 2 drawers and a few boxes full of miscellaneous sheaths and the Gerber will only fit in one of them besides the stock Gerber sheath.

I am interested in the MP1, but it looks to be another super wide tool and I might miss not having a file.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:39:05 PM
Sorry for photo bombing your thread beforehand.  :salute:

Just because you really need one of most Gerber tools to experience the wonder and beauty of Fiskar's Gerber designed tools. Seriously, I have a love hate relationship with Gerber. On the one hand I admire them for going out there and trying all sorts of designs. You just never know what Gerber will come up with next. That sort of stuff makes me excited. On the other hand, their products appear to be hit and miss in my books. So there you have it.

I also love the older models and the whole MP 400 and 600 lineup. I even had a full drawer dedicated to them.

And another drawer dedicated to Gerber's butterfly style multi-tools.

And a mixed drawer for some weird designs, such as the Gerber MP650 Evolution system, and the Cool Tool to name a few.

Hmmm. I am and was never a big fan of the Strata. It is one of the only tools that I almost severely injured myself on. I was absentmindedly playing with mine when I first got it, and not paying attention when I felt a sharp stab at my palm. I looked down and saw the scissors had somehow half opened and one end was sticking out of the closed handles at a 90 degree angle from said handle. Upon closer inspection, it is just possible to repeat this. To this day, I don't know if Gerber fixed that issue by installing a raised tab on the inside of the handle that would prevent the scissors from opening in such fashion. I do hope so, as the Strata is one of those few tools that has the potential of doing some damage to an unwary and unobservant fiddler of multi-tools.

parnass, if you think the MP800 is a beast, feast your eyes on one of Gerber's cheapest and some might say, biggest mistakes...the Radius. Here is the Radius next to an MP800.

The Radius is not only large, but it essentially lacks a metal frame, making the whole rubber and plastic thing a flexible package. Flexible is not something one should ever equate with a multi-tool.  :facepalm:

For your comparison, here is an MP600, an MP800, and the MP1.

I have found that the MP800 will not fit in an MP600 sheath. However, the MP1, because of its wedged shape, will fit most sheaths. I have tried it on several styles of MP600 sheaths and it just fits each time.  :salute:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:35:28 PM
Chako, thanks so much for the excellent comparison photos.   

That's a fantastic collection!  :tu:  The ungainly Radius resembles a billy club.

Forum postings and a recent sale on the MP400, followed by a great eBay deal on the MP800 drew me back to Gerber out of curiosity.   :D

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 04:21:19 PM
 :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 09:29:58 PM
Al: I cannot replicate your Saf-T-Lock issue with the MP600 I have next to me.
With any of the implements fully extended, the others stay in the handle even if I shake it as hard as I can shake it. Trying to open another one starts the lock tab sliding back almost instantly.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 09:56:57 PM
Al: I cannot replicate your Saf-T-Lock issue with the MP600 I have next to me.
With any of the implements fully extended, the others stay in the handle even if I shake it as hard as I can shake it. Trying to open another one starts the lock tab sliding back almost instantly.

Sounds like you got a good one  :tu: Typical for them to get it right on an inboard tool where it matters less  :rofl:

Do the slider tabs return almost to the end of the slot when there is a tool out? I'll have a quick count up when I get a minute of how many of mine have this issue. I know for certain the BG Strata and Fit have it (I know Kirky's Fit is BADLY affected by it too).

On my new BO Diesel it depends which tool is deployed. With the large flat driver out, the blade moves a fraction but not enough to "reveal" the point of the blade. With the file deployed instead, the point of the knife comes 11mm outside the handle before itengages the lock plate. Similar variations are evident on the other handle. However, to look at the tangs of each tool there is very little (if any) discernable differences

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 10:02:33 PM
... and my modified MP600 DET is actually pretty rock solid too (though a bit more play when the Phillips is deployed) :tu: Shame really, as I'm ripping it apart soon for parts for the Diesel  :whistle:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:18:00 PM
Do the slider tabs return almost to the end of the slot when there is a tool out?

Yes, all the way.
I'll have a fiddle with my BO MP600 later, that's the only other Gerber I have.

Anyone want to sell me an MP400?

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 11:19:59 AM
I have an MP 400 that I will let go if you are interested. It even has a customized LM sheath that fits it like a glove, other than the bulky stock sheath.
PM me, if interested.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD