Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DIY Traveling Emergency Kit Cutting Tool and Fire Rod Striker

tw Offline SCX2000SR

Not sure if this classified as Multi-Tool.

Been finding a solution how get on all major Airline with a tool in carry on luggage. Normally I do not like to check-in luggage even when I am backpacking. I only carry a 40lts backpack on the go. Few times I had to check-in luggage just because I need to bring along my Leatherman Wave or Juice.

Just order the Leatherman Style PS but still need a simple blade.

So I decided to fashion one out of it using a short mini box cutter blade (under 6cm) and Aluminium Windscreen which is easy to mold with it. I was hopping it can get through X-ray.

Give me your thought.

BR,
Spencer
Camping in Taiwan

Keep it simple.

ph Offline dmanuel

Re: DIY Traveling Emergency Kit Cutting Tool and Fire Rod Striker
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 03:23:45 AM
I think trying to break the law is never a good idea but especially when you mix planes and blades. Just buy one in the town you are stopping in. At the end of the day $20 is a lot cheaper than an attorney (you just admitted online trying to make something that you could get through security), court costs, and possibly winding up on a watch list/no fly list.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:58:03 AM
Give me your thought.

I think you are going to be arrested.
G

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 04:07:10 AM
Don't even try it.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 05:11:41 AM
How about one of these 1.00 Cardsharp wallet knifes that they sell on EBay.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:19:15 AM
I can not agree with what you are suggesting, not worth it. I think easier carry a Gerber EAB with you, without the blade. After you landed, pick up a box of for $1 from local hardware store.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:13:35 AM
I can not agree with what you are suggesting, not worth it. I think easier carry a Gerber EAB with you, without the blade. After you landed, pick up a box of for $1 from local hardware store.

That's a good idea, you sir are a clever man
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:44:17 AM
Just buy one when you get there, improvising a knife looks a whole lot more suspicious than if you forgot you had one one with you.

Also be careful with the ferro rod, a lot of airlines wont allow people to travel with lighters now (they haven't for a few years, 2004 was the last time you could fly out if Beijing with a lighter).

So an alternative means of making very freaking hot sparks will be treated with suspicion
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:50 AM
Yep definitely looking to be arrested. :police:
That Diy job proves "intent to commit a crime" in court. That's prosecutor speak your smurfed.

If you must have something there are a few blade-less tools out there.
One piece tools like the "wallet ninja" which claims TSA approval, just none of the more common ones with sharpened scrapers, saw teeth or can opener those features are banned.
 "swiss tech micro" and "micro plus" should fly but the max and extreme have an screw awl and es has sharpened cutters so they don't fly.
I did hear the Swiss card will fly without the knife in it, leave that at home.
CRKT eat'n'tool, Nite Eyez do-hickey, pocket wrench2,rifle adjustment tools for MosinNigant and HiPoint all meet the criteria to be allowed on.

There are many more options and countless cheep knockoffs of those options.
Fly safe
Just buy a cheap knife when you get there and mail it to your self or give it away when you go home.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:36:33 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 12:24:02 PM
I like DIY tools but if try to fly with that you will be meeting this nice man from the TSA  :D
TSA.JPG
* TSA.JPG (Filesize: 16.25 KB)
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 02:09:45 PM
Just buy one when you get there, improvising a knife looks a whole lot more suspicious than if you forgot you had one one with you.

Also be careful with the ferro rod, a lot of airlines wont allow people to travel with lighters now (they haven't for a few years, 2004 was the last time you could fly out if Beijing with a lighter).

So an alternative means of making very freaking hot sparks will be treated with suspicion

Almost forgot.
Ferro rods are frowned upon and usually banned, but not specifically in most cases. It's often up to the screener.
The problem with Ferro rods is that is what the "shoe bomber" was trying to use to light his fuse several years ago.
So no to the Ferro rod too.

The actions of stupid people make governments take all the fun out of life.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

gb Offline pingu

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 02:51:53 PM
If I was a screener and noticed a EAB or similar without blade should I be asking myself where is the blade hidden. :think:

And as for the Style PS, yes it's TSA approved, so not an offence to try, at least in TSA jurisdiction, but IMO too much value to risk confiscation at the whim of a screener.  As has been suggested buy cheap stuff on arrival or pick up a bargain and mail home.

And regarding the Style PS, assuming it is allowed through, there are several edges, not including the scissors, which will draw a spark from a ferro rod.  So that should be a no then, at least to both together.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:57:42 PM by pingu »

tw Offline SCX2000SR

Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 04:25:37 PM
Thanks for input guys, much appreciated 

Guess the blade Mod and fire rod is out of the question.

I have been putting Survival Kit since 1982 but never have one for Airline carry-on Kit. Everyone of my family members have a survival kit. Really in case of emergency, what is the point of having a Emergency Kit in check-in luggage
Well ... I do not the term Survival Kit anymore instead Emergency Kit. Repair, First Aid and Survival

However some of you gave me some ideas. Basically here are some of the items I like to use it for Airline Travel.

Fire and Tinder - matches or AA batt with steel wire and Twine
Light - mini glow stick, Petzl e-Lite and Xtar H1 Lamp
Signal- plastic mirror from Swiss Army, Whistle, Petzl e-Lite and Xtar H1 Lamp
Navigation - Compass
Food - Fishing Kit and Dental floss as snares
Water - 2 Sandwich Bag, Costco frozen bag (Alibaba from it) and Coffee Filter
Shelter - Survival Blanket
Repair - sewing kit, needles, safety pins, Ty-raps, Dental floss, Para-Wrist Band, Super Glue, Glue Stick, Duct tape, Gear Aid Tenacious Tape
Others - ear plugs, First Aid and medication

All to fit in the Orange Survival Pack, the Tobacco tin is what current using for outdoor.

Now I am thinking, I have already mod the P-38 can opener one end with cutting edge and also a mini pry bar, just realise the nail cutter file I could make the same. Might ditch the P-38 since I saw a Russian guy managed to open a can with Leatherman Style PS but this US Mallin Shelby O P-38 have been with me a long time.  :(

Another option is the signal mirror, I could file one end to become a cutting tool.

Let's hear it, would you do the same?

BR,
Spencer
Camping in Taiwan

Keep it simple.

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 05:34:43 PM
Are you worried about the plane crashing and needing to survive? If so your kit is going to be worthless compared to the plethora of items that could be scavenged from checked in luggage and the plane itself.

You can worry and plan for this but your chances of being in a plane crash are remote and your chances of surviving are just as bad. If you are that concerned you might as well wear a helmet and life jacket as soon as you board.

If it were me I would stop worrying so much about trying to break the law and start worrying about things you can actually change without going to jail.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 08:24:38 PM
Just a FYI. A regular piece of carbon fiber, not shaped like a blade, could be used. In a emergency you could sharpen it and use it as a blade.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 09:32:05 PM
Are you worried about the plane crashing and needing to survive? If so your kit is going to be worthless compared to the plethora of items that could be scavenged from checked in luggage and the plane itself.

You can worry and plan for this but your chances of being in a plane crash are remote and your chances of surviving are just as bad. If you are that concerned you might as well wear a helmet and life jacket as soon as you board.

If it were me I would stop worrying so much about trying to break the law and start worrying about things you can actually change without going to jail.

If a plane crashes then unless there is some kind of miracle, you are dead.

I have flown internationally so many times I cannot even try to guess how many planes I've been on. I fill up a standard UK passport in about 9 months. I have smurfed up twice in that time (28 Years). I took the wrong passport after going to Israel when I went Egypt and I left my Surge in my back pack when I flew from KSA. I couriered it so all was cool, eventually.

At the time going to Egypt with an Israeli stamp in you passport was about as bad as trying to sneak a weapon onto a plane, this is why a lot of governments will issue more than one passport, this caused me 8 hours of delays talking to suspicious security people. 

If you smurf up and leave something in you pocket then mostly you will get the chance to post it. I'm pretty sure though that if you get nabbed before you come through immigration you are pretty much stateless even if you are in your home country.

Lol a very timely release from, err somewhere, https://wikileaks.org/cia-travel/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:06:19 PM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 03:25:04 AM
Thinking of lighters, has anyone here flown with one of those USB lighters? The ones that have a heating coil like a car cigarette lighter and a battery all packed up to look like a 2xl large thumb drive or cell phone battery.
Just a thought as we are talking batteries and steel wool at this point.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 06:38:08 PM
Thinking of lighters, has anyone here flown with one of those USB lighters? The ones that have a heating coil like a car cigarette lighter and a battery all packed up to look like a 2xl large thumb drive or cell phone battery.
Just a thought as we are talking batteries and steel wool at this point.

Just from experience, my observations and my work, if it is an unusual item you will get stopped and asked to explain why it is there.

Example, I got given a very nice lead crystal hand made ornament, I didn't want it to get broken so I put it in my carry on. Lead crystal is a black mass on x-ray, so they pulled me to one side to have a look. It was a wedding gift and when the woman saw that she let me through.

They really dont like haveing methods of ignition on a plane, ferro rod, matches, lighter (whatever type) even flint and steel. if they don't like the look of it you will get stopped.

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 06:42:23 PM
FWIW, I've never had an issue in Asia with my lighter (Philippines, Borneo, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Korea, Japan, and Singapore) and you are now allowed to fly with a lighter in the US.

us Offline dbeeks1

Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 03:53:46 PM
The Craziest Stuff People Tried to Sneak Onto Airplanes This Year

http://gizmodo.com/the-craziest-stuff-people-tried-to-sneak-onto-airplanes-1674275254

tw Offline SCX2000SR

Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 08:43:14 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all the wise reply. I am not planning for a plane crash disaster kit but an Air friendly traveling emergency kit.

First of all if I like backpacking, I never like check in luggage. In Asia, KLIA is notorious for lost luggage, secondly I hate waiting for bags at the belt.

I prefer to travel budget air...yeah we just heard one went missing today over Indonesia, condolence to the families.

I just got the Leatherman Style PS, I was stunned by the size and design. There is not many tools in it compare to my modded Leatherman Wave http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52680.msg901256.html#msg901256 and Juice Xe6 which both are bulky and weighs but the Leatherman Style PS did pack a small punch what is capable off.

I have been using my modded Leatherman Wave Black Tactical as an EDC but seriously.... it weighs and most of the time I do not use all the tools. So now trying to adapt the PS as a replacement with other lightweight tools

Ok here are my thoughts
Leatherman Style PS will be our backpacking multi-tool
As for fire, I have Spark-Lite wrap in Twine, hope that take cares of many inconvenience in some airport like China, no lighters allowed.
As for cutting tool, guess the PS has the scissors
Do not wish the stereo type the PS for just one usage but wish make it muti function for replacement EDC tool. So I ordered the Leatherman Style CS just for the blade.
Wish to have a Ultralite Hiking field tool, so planning to make the tools interchangeable depending on situation
I am almost complete with the Emergency Air Travel Kit. Will post an update soon but for now will toy with Style PS  :climber:

Cheers guys, feedback welcome

BR,
Spencer
Camping in Taiwan

Keep it simple.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41