Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Expert Opinions Needed

us Offline Yaesu Man

Expert Opinions Needed
on: December 22, 2014, 06:00:37 AM
Hey guys, I'd like the opinion of a few of you flashlight experts out there.  I'm a little bit of a flashaholic myself, but have never got into the higher-end lights.  I've just recently realized that while my Maglites are very reliable and have served me well, there are much brighter lights out there in packages small enough to be easily carried.  So I'm probably gonna take the jump into the bright lights that use over-priced batteries :).  I figure that the only way I can afford this is to use rechargeable batteries, so here is where y'all's expertise is needed.  I've decided on a Fenix PD35, two Fenix 3400mAH 18650's, and an Opus BT-C3400 charger/analyzer.  I found the light for $60 and the batteries for $35 a pair on eBay (both US sellers with good feedback) and the charger is $50 on Amazon.  What do y'all think?  I feel pretty safe having read good reviews on the stuff, but still wanted to ask y'all anyways cause $150 is a lot of money to me, esp. for a guy who's never spent more than $30 on a flashlight.  Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Expert Opinions Needed
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:59:31 AM
Good ideas. Far from an expert but:

For the Opus I would also look at the BT-C3100 2.1, which seems to be the same but a bit cheaper.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/34663

For batteries Fenix is most likely using Panasonics that can be had for around $20 a pair from e.g. SPAMCORP, the protected ones
http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/2PCS-NCR-3400mAH-18650-3_7-V-Lithium-Rechargeable-Battery-p-87078.html[/url]
http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/2PCS-NCR-18650B-3_7V-3400mAh-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery-p-90990.html[/url]

Not a huge saving and if you want to go with US sellers (though I think SPAMCORP has a US warehouse too)  then what you found seems fine. Make sure you are happy with the offered modes and their power (high, low etc.); there are various similar options from other manufacturers too (e.g. Olight, Jetbeam etc.)

I would also suggest getting a multimeter, to check the voltage on the LiIons, during and before charging, just for the extra safety.
Or look into e.g. the Fenix LD41 that uses AA batteries.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 04:09:33 PM
Thanks for the pointers!  From what I've read, I think the BT-C3100 had some kinda heat problems that got fixed in the BT-C3400.  As to the batteries, I found the same batteries you mentioned, on Amazon for $18 - whoopie!  I've looked at the LD41, but that's a little bigger than I was wanting for my application.  I'm sure this won't be my last flashlight, so I'm hoping to eventually try all the big brands out there; Eagletac, Olight, Jetbeam, ...
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 06:07:41 PM
The 3100 had issues (not heating- more with accuracy of discharge) so the v2.0 came out, then the v2.1 and the 3400 is basically the v2.1 with a nicer name.

The light, charger and batteries you chose should be fine for most applications. There are various cheaper options as well (see the link at the end of my post for some more information on cheap lights, batteries and chargers) for low cost power, but if you will only have a few lights it is better to have some nice branded ones.
Even Maglite has some nice LEDs that seem quite cheap in the Sates.

I use a variety of lights (cheap or not) and do not have one I do not like, even a bit.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:38:26 PM
The PD35 is a good light.

I have numerous 18650 lights including 3 Fenix PD32's, running on Eagletac 3400mah 18650's, using a Pila IBC charger. Lights using Li-ion batteries are now my primary carry.

Fenix PD35 850 Lumen Flashlight Extended Review

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 05:29:25 AM
Fenix makes great lights - well made and last really well.  If you are looking for other options you could look at the Convoy lights or solar force - both have multiple models, are priced very competitively and are well made.  You can find a lot of reviews on the budget light forum.

Fasttech carries a number of convoy models (there are other suppliers I'm just not familiar with them) and solar force sales carries their own lights. 

John.

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 07:43:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies!  I went ahead and ordered a PD35, the Opus BT-C3400, and two KeepPower 3400mAh batteries this morning.  I think that'll be a great starter set - now for the wait.  :ahhh :mail:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 11:47:52 PM
Be careful when using the term "expert" because an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

That's pretty well all I learned in high school.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:03:21 AM
Figured I'd post an update incase anybody was wondering...my PD35 arrived DAYS BEFORE my batteries did, which drove me CRAZY!  My batteries arrived today, but last night I saw someone on CPF selling 18650s that came out of some HP laptop battery packs.  It hit me that I had to replace my laptop battery a while back and since I NEVER throw anything away, I was able to get 6 18650s out of it!  So far the Opus has been working great - it's really handy being able to charge cells individually since one of my most used lights is a MicroStream.  Quick question - do I need manually monitor the cell voltage in my PD35 with unprotected cells or will the light cut off at a safe voltage?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 06:47:48 AM
Most regulated/modern/cree/18650 lights should cut off or start flashing or must go to a very low mode and then cut off when the voltage gets low. It depends on the individual model and I do not have your light.

Try putting in a battery that has been discharged, below 3V , and see if it actually works, if nobody can answer your question.

With laptop batteries usually only 1 or 2 are really bad and the rest are still OK. You need to monitor them or check their capacity to know which ones to keep.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 07:43:13 AM
Be careful when using the term "expert" because an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

That's pretty well all I learned in high school.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%