Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Doesn't want to turn on

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Doesn't want to turn on
on: December 27, 2014, 07:23:30 AM
So I'm asking more for the sake of asking more so than out of serious concern. I have a little Coast G10 I keep clipped to my belt loop and it is probably the most used part of my edc.

All of a sudden it no longer turns on consistently when the button is pressed, but if you bang it off your hand or something similar it comes on and stays on with no issue. Any idea what the cause of this may be? I have gotten far more than my $2.50 worth out of the little thing, but I quite like the extremely worn look it has now.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Doesn't want to turn on
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 07:37:22 AM
The only thing I can suggest is cleaning the contact points.

Oh and buying a quality light.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 07:45:46 AM

Shhhhh I'm going to hide in the corner with my average quality products and tell myself they're just fine and dandy, my wallet couldn't handle being pulled in by you connoisseurs of lumens.

I used a bit of contact re-nu which honestly made it worse. A bit of a shame in my eyes as well, the little thing has been a workhorse for me for about 2 years now. I enjoy that it runs on just a plan 3A, it makes life a lot easier.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 08:50:08 AM

Shhhhh I'm going to hide in the corner with my average quality products and tell myself they're just fine and dandy, my wallet couldn't handle being pulled in by you connoisseurs of lumens.

I used a bit of contact re-nu which honestly made it worse. A bit of a shame in my eyes as well, the little thing has been a workhorse for me for about 2 years now. I enjoy that it runs on just a plan 3A, it makes life a lot easier.

Honestly. Just spend $20 and get the new E05. Its smaller, lighter, and has 3 modes, the mid will run almost as many lumens as the Coasts for twice the time and puts out 85 lumes on high. You can pick one up for right around $20 on Amazon. Just saying its a great small light for $20.

http://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-flashlights-e05-led-flashlight.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Edition-KeyChain-Flashlight-LegionArms/dp/B00LZ4TST4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419666524&sr=8-1&keywords=fenix+e05

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-E05-keychain-flashlight-EdisonBright/dp/B00MB1YPIE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419666524&sr=8-2&keywords=fenix+e05
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 08:57:08 AM
There are some great lights that run AA and AAA cells.  You dont have to get special batteries or chargers ( YET ) to have a terrific light. 

I got the Thrunite T10 NW and liked it so much I got the CW version as well.  $26 for a clickie that runs off AA batteris and has 3 very usable modes.  In addition to the Capts suggestion the Olight I3S is another great light for less than $20.
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 03:52:33 PM
I was not impressed with the old E05 as it developed certain problems similar to what was mentioned regarding the coast. To clean the contacts I usually use alcohol. Anything else may make things worse as it may short circuit some wires or block the path on others depending on what you use (happened a few times). I also gave several E05s as presents and had no complaints... so as I always say get a tank007 E09
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 04:31:30 PM
Sounds like the switch. Take the switch off and get a small piece of wire and touch the battery to the side of the light. If it's the switch the light should come on normally. If it doesn't it's something in the LED (head) part.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 04:57:20 PM
Okay, I'll try it just for the heck of it. But I am looking at other lights as well now.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 05:21:15 PM
If it's the switch it should be a easy fix

Offline nickbed_fmx

• New User
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 04:13:15 PM
Harbor freight sells these little flashlights that come in a 2 pack for 8 buck. Everyone can hate on harbor freight but when you break them it doesn't matter and they are always having a sale on them for like 2 dollars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 09:40:04 PM
My ex had the same problem...

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 03:09:04 AM
Any updates on the light?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 06:18:48 AM
It's been back to working fairly consistently, I did your test and it worked no problem. So likely the swtich?

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 01:53:36 PM

It's been back to working fairly consistently, I did your test and it worked no problem. So likely the swtich?

Yes the switch. Look around for one. Should be easy to fix.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 02:56:54 AM
I have a Coast G20 which for the price I paid (about $13 shipped) is lacking and IMO overpriced. I've found it for $9 recently and still feel it's overpriced. Anyway it'll flicker and there is really nothing I can do about it. A whack here and there gets it behaving right (like most things), but it makes me wish I had bought a Streamlight in the first place.

A cheaper flashlight I recommend are the Chinese no name Cree aluminum flashlights. They run from $5-$7 (or more, but I wouldn't pay more) and are way better then Coast. http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraFire-3-Mode-7W-300LM-Mini-Zoomable-CREE-Q5-LED-14500-AA-Flashlight-Torch-/351271966243?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item51c970d623 This is just an example.

I own like 5 of them. Some came with multiple modes some with out, and only one has ever had issues. The issues stem from battery acid leakage, but it still works after some I would say TLC but in truth it's do to me going at it with a pair of pliers none so gently in an attempt to fix/destroy it... works now surprisingly.

I say get a new torch.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:59:09 AM by Fattsgalore »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44