Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber in Top Gear

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Gerber in Top Gear
on: December 27, 2014, 10:52:11 PM
The Top Gear Patagonia Special has Clarkson fixing his wiring loom in the Porsche 928 with a Gerber Suspension.

Pictures if I can nab it from iPlayer at some point...

"I've actually got dirty hands from doing some actual work!"

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Gerber in Top Gear
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:00:06 PM
Oh Tom,you didn't watch it did you?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:12:03 PM
Oh yes, I dislike them all intensely but I find the show very entertaining.
Plus they have a Lotus Esprit.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 11:13:14 PM
 :facepalm:

:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:45:04 PM
It's from Norfolk! That's where I live! Must be good!

Plus it's one of the the few 2WD cars in my dream garage.

Land Rover Series 1 80"
Series 2
Series 2A
Series 3
Stage 1 V8
Audi Quattro
Unimog
Esprit
A Morgan or two

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 01:14:49 AM
Aww you guys don't like Top Gear? one of  my favorite shows, because of how ridiculous they are not because it's a quality car show.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 01:21:18 AM
I love Top Gear!! :tu:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 12:58:40 PM
Aww you guys don't like Top Gear? one of  my favorite shows, because of how ridiculous they are not because it's a quality car show.

I used to really like it,back when they actually tested cars,done things about cars,rather than were three ageing blokes richarding around.

With the exception of the Boliva and Botswana Specials,the massive overseas road trips are just an embarisment to the whole of Britain

I was talking about this at work yesterday,and a mate made the point that they do much the same thing as Mythbusters,it's just that Mythbusters are up front about what it is they're doing!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:00:20 PM by kirk13 »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 05:39:05 PM

I used to really like it,back when they actually tested cars,done things about cars,rather than were three ageing blokes richarding around.

With the exception of the Boliva and Botswana Specials,the massive overseas road trips are just an embarisment to the whole of Britain

I was talking about this at work yesterday,and a mate made the point that they do much the same thing as Mythbusters,it's just that Mythbusters are up front about what it is they're doing!

Well I suppose that's fair, it could be worse though. Our Top Gear just tries to do the exact same type of stuff, but very very poorly. The presenters seem like if they saw each other on the street they'd never say a word to one an other. It really doesn't do it for me.

The UK version is fun because they do the sort of nonsense that I wish I could do, and get paid to do it. But they don't really review much of anything anymore, which is okay because anything they have on that I could afford typically aren't even sold here :D

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 06:08:37 PM
I enjoy it because it is escapism, when I was researching for my new car I went to the dealers, booked test drives and read more reviews. That gave me a wider view of the cars than a 5 minute TV slot would do.
I also talked to people who own them.

According to TG I am now the worst driver and the biggest c**k on the forum because I bought an Audi  :rofl:

Apparently the swear filter doesn't catch some British words lol

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 07:04:50 PM
I like the description of people who drive Lancer Evos as well :D. I'm sure they'd tear my car apart, but I couldn't be happier.

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 07:38:50 PM
wait, Clarkson was actually useful?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 08:04:08 PM
and to all that want TG stopped: what would you like it replaced with? a proper car testing program? a dance show? a pc lectures show? its fun. it used to be more fun but unless it can be replaced with a more fun, still macho style car show it should stay.
as for mythbusters I lost all respect for their pseudoscience when i watched a show they were doing , i think, on consumption between cars with ac vs with windows open, but did not realise that driving them at different speeds affected various resistive forces like wind resistance thus making thir scientificish concussion inaccurate. its basic primary school science...  they are an entertainment show, but people assume that they are doing some sort of scientific research.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 08:14:12 PM
and to all that want TG stopped: what would you like it replaced with? a proper car testing program? a dance show? a pc lectures show? its fun. it used to be more fun but unless it can be replaced with a more fun, still macho style car show it should stay.
as for mythbusters I lost all respect for their pseudoscience when i watched a show they were doing , i think, on consumption between cars with ac vs with windows open, but did not realise that driving them at different speeds affected various resistive forces like wind resistance thus making thir scientificish concussion inaccurate. its basic primary school science...  they are an entertainment show, but people assume that they are doing some sort of scientific research.

I've seen Mythbusters disprove the myth of unlocking a car with a tennis ball and a hammer,which was funny,because I'd actually seen it being done back in SA.

I take your point about what to replace it with... How about replace Jezza with Tiff Needle,Hamster with Sabine Schmitz,and May with Quinten Wilson and Vicky Butler Henderson? Proper honest road tests,a section on classics,maybe run one of them for a season in a race series?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 08:19:05 PM
will it still be funny? i can get facts elsewhere

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 08:48:27 PM
will it still be funny? i can get facts elsewhere

Ah,but is it funny now?

Besides,with VBH and Sabine Schmitz,who needs funny :whistle:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 08:53:33 PM
Sabine looks/sounds like a dominatrix and Vicky is just too posh sounding to be funny to us commoners.

It is still funnier that the other cars shows (TG Australia was funnier but they cancelled it..)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 09:51:37 PM

Euh ... thanks mate (I think ...  :think:).

Though I'm flattered, I should point out that I'm straight and married ...  :pok:

I know, I know ...  :pommel:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 10:02:54 PM

Euh ... thanks mate (I think ...  :think:).

Though I'm flattered, I should point out that I'm straight and married ...  :pok:

I know, I know ...  :pommel:
:rofl:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 10:10:55 PM

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 10:19:37 PM
I love Top Gear UK as well. Don't care about the car reviews they sometimes do, although usually entertaining. I think their road trips are brilliant fun!

Sent using my chubby fingers...

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 11:01:05 PM
I watch Top Gear UK because I find it entertaining and fun, although sometimes they venture over the line into stupid/dangerous (stupid/amusing is fine by me).  I look elsewhere for serious commentary on cars. 

Top Gear Oz didn't do much for me, a lot of the time the presenters seemed to be trying too hard, and they didn't have the chemistry of the original.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 04:11:52 PM
I agree, the TG trio are VERY predictable and Clarkson's siginture looooong pause is pretty old hat nowadays as is the never ending use of the vignettiing.

But I can't help but laugh at the road trips - I bet the camera crew have a great time  :D
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 05:22:59 PM
You can't say that you wouldn't have a grand old time if you got to do their job for awhile

hr Offline styx

Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 05:28:32 PM
I find TG UK entertaining enough to give them an hour every week. US and the Aussie versions not so much.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 09:37:58 PM
Anyway, spotted the Gerber as well. They used to have Wave's before. Wonder why they have changed? Maybe Clarkson borrowed the suspension from a crew member??

Sent using my chubby fingers...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD