Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The new SOG powerlock is better because.....

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
The new SOG powerlock is better because.....
on: December 29, 2014, 12:29:48 PM
? :think:
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: The new SOG powerlock is better because.....
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 01:04:47 PM
The newer style has gear covers to protect your hand from the gear teeth.   Longer wire cutter blades inside the pliers (?).
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

it Offline balvenie

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:38:52 PM
I dont own any Sog; i adapted to Leathetman's quality. Do you think i can purchase a Sog without disappointment? Which model do you suggest me with good combinations of tools and good quality?
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:54:25 PM
I own a couple SOG and I am staying with LM.
The best selling point of SOG is their compound leverage, great for cutting tough wires. But other than that, I don't see what the big deal is, the handles are spread way too wide for my hands on other applications.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

it Offline balvenie

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 07:55:15 PM
So finally i don't see many reasons which explain why the new powerlock its so good.......
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:23 PM
I would get the SOG Power assist. Even though it is in many ways the ugly duckling. Just how good the finishing is may surprise you. The wire cutters are better than any other MT I have used. The power assist main blade provides a sexy factor also. Sadly picking the other tools out with the piano keys is a real pain. SOG really need ro go back to the drawing board on that one.
I wouldn't be surprised if LM comes out with a compound leverage tool when there patent runs out.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 11:26:57 PM
I think the full-size SOGs should have blunt pliers. I don't know, but it would just seem to be more fitting of the hulking beasts that they are. Bigger cutters and a nice beefy plier section. Leave that fine point for the PPP.

SOG is the MT company with the most potential in my opinion, but they are consistently the most frustrating because they don't want to take that next step to improve upon what they already offer.

Just my $00.02
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 02:27:56 PM
Bingo rdub934. While I love SOG, especially there higher end knives, there multis do have some serious potential. Now if they would get there heads out of there asses, they could make a tool that would make all of the multitool makers worry.

Nate
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 02:38:00 PM
So what would be the ideal sog multi?  :think:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:42:42 PM
If they would redo some of the tools and blades, outside opening tools and some better ergonomics would be a huge improvement.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 05:11:42 PM
Basically, Wave style chassis so that the long tools can be accessed without having to open the tool. This could be applied to the PPP and the PL, and would eliminate the need for handle covers while still improving comfort. Redesign the implements to improve upon reach and strength/durability. Also, how about some additional implements, even if it were on a limited availability type of arrangement. They have a sailing/fishing products and had the Power Play telecomm tools, why not make those implements available for purchase. How about some weapon specific implements like the sight adjust or castle nut wrench.

Maybe they stop selling completed tools and offer a plier and chassis, and then the user buys the individual implements they need/want separately. Color code the implements so when you buy a PL3, you need two red (right-hand long) two blue (left-hand long) and 8 yellow (inside short), or something along those lines.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 09:03:34 PM

Maybe they stop selling completed tools and offer a plier and chassis, and then the user buys the individual implements they need/want separately. Color code the implements so when you buy a PL3, you need two red (right-hand long) two blue (left-hand long) and 8 yellow (inside short), or something along those lines.

All those sound good, but i especially think they would win with the last one. After handling a power assist, i really wasn't at all impressed. outside tools would help their cause.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%