Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Moras

Grathr · 721 · 44579

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New Moras
Reply #570 on: April 30, 2016, 11:33:26 PM

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #571 on: May 12, 2016, 09:16:21 AM

Got a Craftline HighQ Robust in today.
(Image removed from quote.)

I got one of these for a good price. Anyone able to explain what the "button" on the front of the sheath does?

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #572 on: May 12, 2016, 09:43:29 AM

I got one of these for a good price. Anyone able to explain what the "button" on the front of the sheath does?
Nice!
Its for stacking sheats on eachother. Often a regular mora and a mora stem knife .
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #573 on: May 12, 2016, 11:54:56 AM

Nice!
Its for stacking sheats on eachother. Often a regular mora and a mora stem knife .

Is that functional and used IRL or just good to arrange them to display at shops?

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Grathr

New Moras
Reply #574 on: May 12, 2016, 02:12:33 PM

Nice!

Is that functional and used IRL or just good to arrange them to display at shops?

I have seen carpenters and electricians wear them like this here.
I have also seen homemade versions with sheaths ducttaped together.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #575 on: May 12, 2016, 04:04:23 PM

Nice!

I think it's used, the precedent comes from Finland I believe where it's not uncommon to see knife pairs, one normal and a small one, in a single sheath.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #576 on: May 26, 2016, 08:29:19 AM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #577 on: May 26, 2016, 11:39:37 AM
Available for Preorder from Knife Center (all images are theirs)

Leather $87.95

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/FT12635/morakniv-garberg-utility-knife-fixed-14c28n-blade-black-polyamide-handle-exclusive-leather-sheath

Multi mount $79.95

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/FT12642/morakniv-garberg-utility-knife-fixed-14c28n-blade-black-polyamide-handle-multi-mount-sheath

Expected Fall 2016.

Is it me or are there some red spots on the handle around the pommel?

I was excited about this knife at first... Now, I see three things I don't like (price and modular sheath apart): blade length (I find a bit short and think it could do with 2-3cm more), blade tip is very limited and also vulnerable, ricasso too small.

I like the new handle's shape very much, though.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #578 on: May 26, 2016, 02:36:28 PM
I don't see any spots on my monitor and will get the one with leather sheath anyway. I think it's grand!!!! Very excited about it!! :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gr Offline firiki

Reply #579 on: May 26, 2016, 02:47:07 PM
Whatever floats your boat, SG :tu: I'm not bashing the knife, besides it isn't released yet, just sharing some of my thoughts. I'm sure it is a good knife but at this price point (and I expect a retail price around 120-150€ for our market -ouch) it's got a good deal of competition to beat.

I look forward to seeing some reviews.  :drink:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #580 on: May 26, 2016, 02:53:42 PM
Whatever floats your boat, SG :tu: I'm not bashing the knife, besides it isn't released yet, just sharing some of my thoughts. I'm sure it is a good knife but at this price point (and I expect a retail price around 120-150€ for our market -ouch) it's got a good deal of competition to beat.

I know buddy....I ain't had any coffee yet and my pain meds aren't working...

Just me being miserable this morning. If I came across too sharp I'm very sorry.  :cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gr Offline firiki

Reply #581 on: May 26, 2016, 03:34:19 PM

I know buddy....I ain't had any coffee yet and my pain meds aren't working...

Just me being miserable this morning. If I came across too sharp I'm very sorry.  :cheers: :cheers:

Noo, no, no... on the contrary, I was wondering if my thoughts sounded a little like a reproof. Written speech can be misleading. I hope you feel better soon. :)

It takes me a while to regain consciousness in the morning... When the coffee kicks in do take another look at the pics; there's definitely something there :D

:cheers: :cheers:

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #582 on: May 26, 2016, 04:18:24 PM

Leather $87.95

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/FT12635/morakniv-garberg-utility-knife-fixed-14c28n-blade-black-polyamide-handle-exclusive-leather-sheath

Multi mount $79.95

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/FT12642/morakniv-garberg-utility-knife-fixed-14c28n-blade-black-polyamide-handle-multi-mount-sheath

Expected Fall 2016.

I was excited about this knife at first... Now, I see three things I don't like (price and modular sheath apart): blade length (I find a bit short and think it could do with 2-3cm more), blade tip is very limited and also vulnerable, ricasso too small.

The thing that's made Morakniv awesome is offering a good knife at a great price. You can get a Companion for $12 USD which is a great deal. I'm not sure that the premium models (like the Bushcraft Pathfinder) are worth the premium price, especially compared to their other offerings. There's also a ton of competition in this market.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #583 on: May 26, 2016, 04:57:03 PM

Leather $87.95

Multi mount $79.95

Expected Fall 2016.

The thing that's made Morakniv awesome is offering a good knife at a great price. You can get a Companion for $12 USD which is a great deal. I'm not sure that the premium models (like the Bushcraft Pathfinder) are worth the premium price, especially compared to their other offerings. There's also a ton of competition in this market.

I agree on all points. I haven't tried any premium knives by MORA but to be honest they don't really appeal to me. I think the Companion and the likes of it are great to carry along a heavy duty knife for the outdoors. The Garberg is different. I do see it as a standalone knife for the outdoors but I also see some shortcomings, the ones I mentioned earlier. Maybe it's a super great knife and I'm wrong but for the time being I think it needs some improvements in order to face competition. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Maybe the people at MORAKNIV are trying to profit from brand recognition and sales points network while taking a different approach to try get a share of a market in which they aren't such great players so far (in my uneducated opinion)? I wonder how sales of these other models (Pathfinder, Bushcraft etc) went so far. I understand that their new offerings come at a cost because of tooling and materials necessary to realise these new designs but I think they should stick to lower prices.   

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #584 on: May 26, 2016, 05:01:22 PM

I agree with you 100%.

The Bushcraft Black Survival edition is also expensive compared to the rest, but still my favourite because I like the complete package and its proved to be durable.

Compare it to a carbon steel Robust and I can't say why a swiveling belt loop mount and ferro rod could add that much to the price, but I guess my point is if it's done right I don't mind paying......

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #585 on: May 26, 2016, 06:33:54 PM
Aren't they beautiful? 511 Special edition.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #586 on: May 26, 2016, 06:53:45 PM
Cool!
Is the black rubber or just colored plastic?

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #587 on: May 26, 2016, 07:29:58 PM
Cool!
Is the black rubber or just colored plastic?

Sorry to say, it is plastic.

It has nice shiny carbon blade.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #588 on: June 03, 2016, 03:54:40 PM
I may have just found a swedish webshop that will send the Garberg to Norway...
I may have fallen for the temptation...

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #589 on: June 03, 2016, 04:24:12 PM
I may have just found a swedish webshop that will send the Garberg to Norway...
I may have fallen for the temptation...

Congrats, I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on it if you do get one....  :cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #590 on: June 03, 2016, 05:39:40 PM
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts mate. :popcorn:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #591 on: June 03, 2016, 06:00:38 PM
I just hope it doesnt fall too much in price over the next couple of years...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #592 on: June 03, 2016, 07:31:27 PM
I just hope it doesnt fall too much in price over the next couple of years...

I suspect that'll depend on how well it's received by the likes of you; independent users.  If every review says it's not worth the money then it might affect sales and drive the price down.  If everyone thinks it's the best knife on the planet and would be worth it at twice the price then I can't think we'll see the price change.  No pressure though. ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #593 on: June 09, 2016, 11:35:05 PM
Just spotted this Boker Plus Outdoorsman while browsing Heinnie.  Is it just me or is this more what people were expecting when they heard of a full tang Mora?  Reasonable price, good steel (12C27), moulded handle, solid construction, reasonable price...

With a 4.3mm spine it's no fainting damsel either.  It's just a shame about the pretty crappy looking sheath.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:27:18 AM by Gareth »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #594 on: June 10, 2016, 01:08:26 AM
That's a nice looking knife!!!!! :2tu:   That sheath needs to be replaced with a nice black leather pouch type with a dangler.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #595 on: June 10, 2016, 11:50:35 AM
Just spotted this Boker Plus Outdoorsman while browsing Heinnie.  Is it just me or is this more what people were expecting when they heard of a full tang Mora?  Reasonable price, good steel (12C27), moulded handle, solid construction, reasonable price...

With a 4.3mm spine it's no fainting damsel either.  It's just a shame about the pretty crappy looking sheath.

The Schrade Frontiers are pretty great value as well if you prefer carbon steel.

no Offline Grathr

New Moras
Reply #596 on: June 10, 2016, 03:08:41 PM

It has holes for lashing it to a stick to use as a harpoon... :facepalm:

I did not expect that, when I first heard about the Garberg. :D

I wonder if it is any good ? Boker does make good knives, so I wouldnt be surprised if it is.

You should get one and review it :pok:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:13:17 PM by Grathr »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #597 on: June 10, 2016, 03:27:36 PM

I wonder if it is any good ? Boker does make good knives, so I wouldnt be surprised if it is.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the holes in the blade either. :D  I also wouldn't expect a Mora to have that blade shape nor coating, but if Boker can put out this knife at £30 then I would have thought that Mora could have done similar.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #598 on: June 10, 2016, 04:08:03 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the holes in the blade either. :D  I also wouldn't expect a Mora to have that blade shape nor coating, but if Boker can put out this knife at £30 then I would have thought that Mora could have done similar.

I guess they could if they made it in China too with a crappy sheath ;)

I bet Mora could put out the Garberg with a cheaper sheath for about $40-50 if they wanted to.
Time will show. The bushcraft black did drop quite a bit in price after a year or so.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #599 on: June 14, 2016, 08:18:47 PM
Curses!
The tracking shows that they tried to deliver the Garberg at my door when I was out.
Why didnt they just put it in the mailbox or deliver it to the post office?
The waiting continues.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%