Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A very unlikely shootout

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
A very unlikely shootout
on: January 05, 2015, 07:37:42 AM
So I did a head to head comparison of three tools that have never even slightly been considered competitiors! Why? I could say because I can and I was bored and couldn't think of anything better to do, but instead I'm going to tell you it's valuable research in cross-class comparison! The Gerber Dime- a diminutive keychain tool, the Gerber Crucial- a stripped down minimalist offering, and the Schrade Tough Tool- a full-sized brute with tons of tools. Not consumer advice, but the results were pretty interesting and it shows that you really shouldn't judge a book by its cover, or maybe a tool by the size of it's implements? Anyways, here's sidebyside testing of a Keychain, light duty mid-size, and full-size MT. Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think. This is in no way a comprehensive, or even good, test. Just a quick examination of how the tools each handle a few small tests.

Testing:
I decided only to test the implements that all three contenders had in common. This gave us both philips and flat drivers, blade, pliers, and wire cutters. Not a huge set of tests to run, but it is what it is, I think you guys can handle the let down.

First to be tested was the drivers. Three screws, a small combo head, then a thick flathead, and finally a philips head drywall screw were all driven(or attempted to be driven) into a solid block of hardwood.
Dime first.

Not outstanding, this is as deep as I would go for fear of snapping the little tool.

Now Crucial.

Sunk it almost completely, but also stripped the screw quite a bit, not good.

Schrade.

The crudely reground philips seated perfectly and was able to torque the head off without slipping once.

Win- Schrade

Now the flathead, this screw required pre-drilling to get it to sink in any acceptable time even with a regular screwdriver.

Dime.

Almost completely flush! Yeah, I don't understand that one either.

Crucial.

Decently far, but once again the head is quite mangled.

Schrade.

Only had one of these screws, the Crucial beat it up a bit too much to get a solid purchase.

Win- Dime?

Drywall Screw

Dime.

Set very smooth and very fast. But any more turning and something was likely to break.

Crucial.

Fantastic! Honestly not far off from the time taken for a regular screwdriver, no slipping.

Schrade.

Worse than the Dime. The ugly, messed up driver just wouldn't seat in this screw. My fault.

Win- Crucial

Next was testing the blades, first on Nylon strap, then on paper.
Dime.

Two strokes to completely cut, not too bad. Tool didn't have factory edge to start test.

Crucial.

Also two strokes, but just because it didn't cleanly cut where I started the stroke. Very clean cut.

Schrade.

Four strokes, not overly clean. She's old, tired, and missing the tip so not too shocking.

Win-Crucial

Paper Cutting

Dime.

Easy and smooth. Pushed through the cut rather hard and didn't really hang up.

Crucial.

Not good, fat blade with a wide grind mixed with half serrations and what looks like a slight dent? in the blade.

Schrade.

Similar to the Dime, but didn't feel as smooth and effortless.

Win-Dime

Next test was a rather easy test for the wire cutters, light gauge single strand wire.

Dime.

Snipped it fairly easily, though resistance was felt and some force was needed.

Crucial.

Surprised me, I expected the anvil cutters to sort of mash the wire, but just the weight of the handle swinging closed clipped the wire with ease.

Schrade.

No problem, but not as effortless as the crucial. The cutters are beat up, but can easily handle more than this.

Win-Crucial

The final test in my very un-comprehensive shootout was using the pliers to loosen an 11/32 bolt that had been tightened with a small ratchet.

Dime.

These pliers are basically advanced tweezers, but the slim profile let the meat of the gripping area get around the bolt and get it loose.

Crucial.

Like the Dime, thin profile let the meat get on the bolt and get a solid purchase.

Schrade.

Got it loose with just the tips, too fat to get the real part to grip, but definitely the best pliers in the test.

Win-Crucial, because they're slim(But the Schrade pliers are hands-down better)

Closing thoughts:

Dime: Honestly I had previously perceived the drivers to be toy-like. The Flat driver is thinner than the average putty knife so I never would have thought it to be a genuinely useful tool, same goes for the pretend phillips head which got the drywall screw set so easily. But due to the tools size, setting is about all I would do with this tool, though that's to be expected. The blade is good for just about every EDC task I normally come across and it's shape gives it good belly for its tiny size. The pliers had just about met their match with the bolt, but who really expects keychain pliers to turn bolts. All in all, punched a bit above it's weight-class

Crucial: The middle didn't offer up the best of both worlds. The drivers left quite a bit to be desired, ruining two of three screws, oddly though it was the winner by a long shot on the final screw? Blade is certainly a beast to behold, but too much of it is serrated and there looks to be a small uneven spot in the part that actually is fine edged so it didn't cut paper well. It gives me the feeling of a rather cheap steel, though we'll likely never know for sure. So don't expect it to hold too long. The pliers are way too thin, that being said, they definitely gave the most sure-footed grip on the bolt and didn't even begin to slip. Also, the anvil cutters performed far better than I expected. All in all, performed adequately.

Schrade: The old girl is tired and worn, and it really shows. The philips driver tip had been completely snapped off the the previous owner, so I tried my best to make a new one with a dremel. This showed in the fact that it simply could not seat in the drywall screw(which I assume is a ph#2) The flat head was really wide, yet came to an exceptionally thin tip. This wasn't a good thing and led to it really struggling to grip after the Crucial had torn the head up a bit. The blade is chisel ground, which sucks, so I made it slightly less chisel ground and it has a decent working edge on it. But due to its grind I haven't been able to get a really good edge on it, so it performed averagely. Once again the previous owner broke the tip off that too, so no piercing is going to be happening. The ST1's pliers are my favorite MT pliers to use so far, though the task in testing was too narrow for anything but the tips, they still had no problem holding on and the added leverage made it a non-issue. The cutters lack a hard-wire notch, which strikes me as odd, but they had no problem with the little single strand wire despite not being as sharp as they may have been before. All in all, it's worn out but still has plenty of kick left.

Like always, please feel free to comment.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: A very unlikely shootout
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:31:49 AM
Nice review.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:18:45 PM
Thanks for the write-up.
This combination of tools makes you rethink were the boundaries are in different sized tools. I mean the Dime managed to win in some disciplines proofing that size is not everything.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 05:34:41 PM
Nicely done, I like it.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 05:39:57 PM
Thank you guys, that was what jumped out at me as well. There are Certainly jobs that it would be foolish to try with a tool that wasn't the right size, but for most jobs it wouldn't hurt to try with what you have before running to get a "better" tool. Granted I would rather do foolish things like that with my Dime than a discontinued Squirt or something, but it reiterated the point that first and foremost these are tools.

I'm here more for general interest in MTs than I am because of how hard I use them. But this makes me want to just say smurf it and see what they can do. And that is the point of these things, so I'm glad I did this. plus the write up was fun.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:53:27 PM by Higgins617 »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 05:53:55 PM
Nice, interesting comparison Kyle-good work :tu:
K-Tibbs

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:14:42 PM
Really interesting, thank you!  :tu:
Antonio

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 08:30:40 PM
Thank you guys!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 08:46:13 PM
Great write up man!  I think this type of comparison/review is great as it allows readers to see how different sized tools handle different tasks.  One might think they need a full size, where a medium or even small one will do.

:tu:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:07 PM
Great write up man!  I think this type of comparison/review is great as it allows readers to see how different sized tools handle different tasks.  One might think they need a full size, where a medium or even small one will do.

:tu:

That hit me a bit to be honest, especially when the mid size couldn't handle a difficult task, but the small one can. That still has me scratching my head a bit. Honestly I'll probably do a few more tests in the coming weeks just for my own amusement. It's fun getting to see how well these tools really work.

It's no use carrying the Damn things around if you don't know what they can do or how to use them most effectively.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 09:56:08 PM
Great review mate  :tu: my dime hasnt seen much action since getting it in November,but looks like it will be usefull  :salute: mine was and still is very gritty? Is this normal on the dime  :think:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 10:12:47 PM
Great review mate  :tu: my dime hasnt seen much action since getting it in November,but looks like it will be usefull  :salute: mine was and still is very gritty? Is this normal on the dime  :think:

What part of yours is gritty? I wouldn't call the action on mine flawless, but it isn't overly rough. When opening the tool from fully closed the scales rub together pretty solidly. This makes it feel like it's a rough pivot, but it's not the pivot it's Gerber not giving clearance for them to pass each other. I'm not sure if that's what you mean?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 11:17:28 PM
great comparison and shocking result.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 12:34:00 AM

What part of yours is gritty? I wouldn't call the action on mine flawless, but it isn't overly rough. When opening the tool from fully closed the scales rub together pretty solidly. This makes it feel like it's a rough pivot, but it's not the pivot it's Gerber not giving clearance for them to pass each other. I'm not sure if that's what you mean?

when i squeeze the scales it sounds gritty as does the package opener,all work ok though,guess just needs a good wash out  :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 12:38:11 AM
Very nice write up. :hatsoff:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 03:13:56 AM
Very nice write up. :hatsoff:

Thank you!

Zed, that might likely be the case as none of the tools really feel all that gritty. Not smooth, but not gritty either. Hopefully that gets sorted out for you buddy :salute:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 05:59:53 AM
Excellent review. Was kinda suprised how much they tore up the screws and seeing how that is the second most used part of my MTs that is not bueno.

Now do it again with tools that don't suck.  :pok:

One of my Soldiers has a Crucial though and he loves it. Says the size is his favorite thing about it.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 06:07:14 AM
Excellent review. Was kinda suprised how much they tore up the screws and seeing how that is the second most used part of my MTs that is not bueno.

One of my Soldiers has a Crucial though and he loves it. Says the size is his favorite thing about it.

You're too much :rofl:, I'll make sure I toss the X-Tract into the next review for you too. But there is likely to be another head to head soon, MP600 vs. Sidekick vs. Fuse maybe? But I find that odd that one of your boys is carrying one, do you know if he uses it often? Yea, I was a bit pissed at how quick the Crucial wrecked the screws, the flathead really is some foolish in-between size that doesn't seem to want to work at all.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 06:21:07 AM

You're too much :rofl:, I'll make sure I toss the X-Tract into the next review for you too. But there is likely to be another head to head soon, MP600 vs. Sidekick vs. Fuse maybe? But I find that odd that one of your boys is carrying one, do you know if he uses it often? Yea, I was a bit pissed at how quick the Crucial wrecked the screws, the flathead really is some foolish in-between size that doesn't seem to want to work at all.

I have never seen him use his Crucial. Will ask next tiime I see him.

You should toss a LLST into a comparo.

I will give 2 to 1 on the MP 600 for the next review.  :whistle:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 06:25:12 AM

I have never seen him use his Crucial. Will ask next tiime I see him.

You should toss a LLST into a comparo.

I will give 2 to 1 on the MP 600 for the next review.  :whistle:

You're betting on the MP to win it? Dam I'll take that bet in a heartbeat! Want to lay all your shiny new SAKs on the line??? :rofl: Just kidding.

I will never own a LLST, nor should any other sound minded individual! But I'd be glad to hear what he has to say, I'll likely carry the Crucial a bit. Not a terrible tool, just certainly not the best one I own...

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 06:32:01 AM
Which do you think is the favorite to win?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 06:41:49 AM
Which do you think is the favorite to win?

Ummmm, I haven't really put the Fuse to work yet, so I'm not sure how that performs. But I would be shocked if the MP600 outperformed the Sidekick to be quite frank. I used the Gerber for years, then I was underwhelmed enough to stop carrying a multitool all together for a few years before the Sidekick was gifted to me and brought me here. I don't know, I just didn't get the warm and fuzzy using it. But hey, well see right? I wouldn't have pegged the Dime for being suitable for more than the lightest of tasks and that ended up being false. So predictions don't really stand to mean anything.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 06:46:35 AM
That is the point of doing reviews like this, well that and boredom.

Still think the MP 600 will take home the gold. A lot of folks like the Sidekick here (well at least half of one)and I have never messed with one so we will see.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 06:53:40 AM
That is the point of doing reviews like this, well that and boredom.

Still think the MP 600 will take home the gold. A lot of folks like the Sidekick here (well at least half of one)and I have never messed with one so we will see.

It gets a bad wrap (undeservingly in my eyes) because it is cheaper, and made to a bit lower of a standard than typical Leathermans. And I won't say that is false at all, even my Fuse is noticeably better finished and seems higher quality. But that doesn't mean the Sidekick is low quality, just that the others are higher. The thing has just worked for me plain and simple, not flashy, maybe not the best, but it continually gets the job done. Never would I say toss out your Waves or Rebars and get a Sidekick, but if you're short on cash this is a damn fine tool in its own right. (When they can be had for 18 bucks or so, the 54 MSRP is too high)

Only thing I don't much care for is the file, single cut and too short. But nothing is perfect right? And if you're right and the MP wins, then hell all that means is another tool gets brought back into rotation from it's exile.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 02:50:10 PM

You should do that at some point ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 04:37:41 PM

:facepalm:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 05:07:43 PM

:facepalm:

>:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 05:42:50 PM

Should I toss it into the test, or give it a look on its own?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 05:54:09 PM

Either way is fine with me.  I'm curious to see some testing on it, considering mine has been hardly used at all, and you stated yours had been worked hard.  I'm sure Harley would enjoy it ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 06:23:31 PM

Either way is fine with me.  I'm curious to see some testing on it, considering mine has been hardly used at all, and you stated yours had been worked hard.  I'm sure Harley would enjoy it ;)

Send yours to me Monrogue or Higgs and I will test it for you. It has to get here before the 10th of January in order to get the proper experience though.  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%