Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SOG multis?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
New SOG multis?
on: January 09, 2015, 08:33:09 PM
I saw a topic on a different forum, a fellow said he talked to some SOG exec at Blade Expo and he told him to be expecting new and improved multi-tools from them in 2015. Anyone on here heard anything? Do you think they will let the cat out the bag at SHOT? I normally don't bite on Internet hearsay but the SOG forum here at MTO could use something like this to stir up some convo, lol
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: New SOG multis?
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:42:36 PM
Would be nice to see SOG upgrade there Power lock.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 08:46:12 PM
I hope its some power-pliers with all outside tools and a comfortable grip when using the pliers.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:51:58 PM
I have not heard anything, but this does peak my interest. I assume they might release some info at SHOT if they really are planning something.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:52:30 PM
I agree with both of those assessments. SOG is so close to being a great MT producer, but they have a bunch of little issues (comfort, reliability, old designs, etc...) that pretty much make them lower tier than Leatherman and Gerber. And the fact that they haven't released a new multi in 3 or 4 years really hurts them, as well IMO. I found a link to the convo:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1192294-SOG-2015-Multi-tools-%28New-Models%29

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 08:55:49 PM
A quick trademarkia search did not produce any new applications, although I have a hard time searching that place.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:53:33 PM
SOG used to be a contender, but just needed to up their game a bit. Instead they went completely in the other direction and started making some utterly abysmal tools and reducing the quality of the ones that were formally contenders. They shipped production outside of their control, and quality went down the pan. I really hope they have learnt from their mistake and are bringing some proper tools back to the fold rather than just offering gimmicky "stocking fillers for the dad that has everything". Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath that there's going to be anything on offer for folks who actually know their tools

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 12:45:59 PM
Like most here, I too have numerous old SOG's, fabulous quality. But their recent stuff ie Crosscut, Crossgrip and Powerduo just leave me cold - they are all without exception pure and utter China junk. (I say that in the cliche sense, as China are more than capable of delivering fantastic quality when given the budget to do so)

SOG simply assumed that the consumer would recognise the brand name and buy regardless - BIG mistake. They now have a huge mountain to climb if they are ever to pull customers away from their competitors.

I think manufacturers should wake up and realise that today's consumers are far far more savvy than their previous buyers.

I too resort to my smartphone if I'm in a shop/online making a purchase to find out both good and bad on that particular product - I used to do it stealthily, but now in full view of the shop staff. I work hard for my money, if I'm parting with it I want to be sure I'm getting what "I" want - and not just listen to the blurb of the staff eager to shift stock or the would-be promise in the marketing hype!!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:59:20 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Act2uToo

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 02:33:01 PM
Check this out:

http://www.sogknives.com/switchplier-2-0.html

A reincarnation of the SwitchPlier

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 02:45:46 PM
Check this out:

http://www.sogknives.com/switchplier-2-0.html

A reincarnation of the SwitchPlier

I'll not get too excited till someone has taken one apart and posted ...

This one lists compound leverage, but the previous ones were really weak and all the forces applied on a tiny little cast spigot on one side of the head. It would be BRILLIANT if they have fixed it, but their quality has been on a severe decline over the last couple of years and they have been plagued with manufacturing defects and design issues. I'm also struggling to see how this uses their patented compound system AND has the switchplier mechanism BUT also let you just lift a handle to addesss the other tools.

I'm interested ... but I'll let someone else go first  ;)

.... and this one apears to have a pocket clip too  :whistle:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 02:55:41 PM
Love the look of the SwitchPlier 2.0.
It appears that there are many changes, lets hope its not just design / cosmetics. Honestly, this one has my name on it ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:23:07 PM
Good to see they are bringing out something new.  Time will tell what the quality is like.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 03:36:43 PM
They put the can opener in the middle position again like on the Powerduo rendering it useless. :facepalm:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 03:50:44 PM
They put the can opener in the middle position again like on the Powerduo rendering it useless. :facepalm:

Not that it makes it less foolish, but it looks like maybe it wouldn't fit with the long tools towards the middle? Still horrible design work, but maybe that's why?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Act2uToo

Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 03:57:19 PM
Well there has to be a short tool on either side of the Phillips, but if the can opener were swapped with the bottle opener, it would be closer to the edge than it is in the picture.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 05:04:21 PM
Take the can opener out, replace it with the bit driver.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 06:47:05 PM

Not that it makes it less foolish, but it looks like maybe it wouldn't fit with the long tools towards the middle? Still horrible design work, but maybe that's why?
The can opener has to be in the most outside position to work and so it can catch the rim of the can. Check all your other tools and SAKs, it's always on the outside layer.

In this one handle config they'd have to loose one of the long tools to make it work but they decided to add it to the middle anyways, probably just for the total tool count. ::)
Bit driver is twice the thickness.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:30:41 PM by enki_ck »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 07:00:59 PM
Bit driver is twice the thickness.  ;)
That is great, then you can loose the bloody can opener too...

Probably won't work, because of the Phillips, so you either would have to loose the Phillips or the awl.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 07:27:17 PM
Deep pocket carry it looks like! 65 $ is kinda too high for a gamble for me tho.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 07:32:38 PM
One of my biggest complaints about SOG's (besides those wacky covers) is that the tools are too bendy.  It's really too easy to twist the can opener, bottle opener or awl.  Oh, and I kept losing the little spring on the 1/4 driver (which I otherwise really liked).

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 07:33:02 PM
Look s good, i am going to get one to try out.
It doesnt say how much it weights.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 07:47:10 PM
One of my biggest complaints about SOG's (besides those wacky covers) is that the tools are too bendy.  It's really too easy to twist the can opener, bottle opener or awl.  Oh, and I kept losing the little spring on the 1/4 driver (which I otherwise really liked).

Heat shrink tube it. ;)

:hatsoff: to parnass

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39195.msg629021.html#msg629021

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 10:23:46 PM
Count me in. Compact, one hand access springy pliers, and it has a pocket clip! I will replace the blade at some point and it will be my new best friend. Way to go SOG

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:54 PM
Just checked, they only sell to the US and Canada :ahhh

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 10:46:32 PM
Deep pocket carry it looks like! 65 $ is kinda too high for a gamble for me tho.

It'll be a lot cheaper online or in stores. All the SOG stuff is listed way higher on the SOG website.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 10:50:10 PM

It'll be a lot cheaper online or in stores. All the SOG stuff is listed way higher on the SOG website.
Yeah, I know. But I suddenly felt like ordering one and they are the only ones that have it (as far as I found, not that I checked that thoroughly).
Also I currently get a 15% strong Swiss Franc discount ;)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 10:52:13 PM
I figured by the sounds of the conversation that dude from bladeforums had with the SOG exec, that it would be a revival of either the switchplier of the toolclip (or whatever that thing was called).

Looks like the tools lock. Did they on the original?
sog_swp1001-cp.jpg
* sog_swp1001-cp.jpg (Filesize: 14.44 KB)

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 11:25:12 PM
I will wait until retailers have them in stock to order one.
Don't want to pay MSRP ordering from SOG directly.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 11:28:31 PM
I figured by the sounds of the conversation that dude from bladeforums had with the SOG exec, that it would be a revival of either the switchplier of the toolclip (or whatever that thing was called).

Looks like the tools lock. Did they on the original?

Yes, everything locked on the original tool  :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 11:37:43 PM
I am curious as to how 2.0 compares to the original. I am not familiar with the original tool so I won't have a reference point. What needed improvement on it? Looks like this one carries more tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%