Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SOG multis?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: New SOG multis?
Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 11:50:42 PM
I am curious as to how 2.0 compares to the original. I am not familiar with the original tool so I won't have a reference point. What needed improvement on it? Looks like this one carries more tools.

Bob (J-sews) took one apart to find out why the pliers kept breaking on people, and here's what he found ...

That tiny cast peg on the plier head was the only point at which the force was transmitted from the handles. Basically, use this for anything more than you would with let's say a Gerber Dime, and the peg would shear off. Unless this has had a MAJOR rethink, there will be no benefit in buying the newer model. SOG's website suggest this has their "patented" compound leverage system, which suggests that somehow they incorporated the system from their other "power" pliers.

However on the original, you could just lift the handle to access a driver of blade etc, and didn't need to "fire" the pliers out first. If they have incorporated the gearing system in, I'm not sure how that's going to work

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 12:09:21 AM
Deep pocket carry it looks like! 65 $ is kinda too high for a gamble for me tho.

It'll be a lot cheaper online or in stores. All the SOG stuff is listed way higher on the SOG website.
Yeah, I know. But I suddenly felt like ordering one and they are the only ones that have it (as far as I found, not that I checked that thoroughly).
Also I currently get a 15% strong Swiss Franc discount ;)

Ain't that the truth? When you cut the anchor line, it's amazing how buoyant things float up.   :D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 12:15:55 AM
I am curious as to how 2.0 compares to the original. I am not familiar with the original tool so I won't have a reference point. What needed improvement on it? Looks like this one carries more tools.

Bob (J-sews) took one apart to find out why the pliers kept breaking on people, and here's what he found ...

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

That tiny cast peg on the plier head was the only point at which the force was transmitted from the handles. Basically, use this for anything more than you would with let's say a Gerber Dime, and the peg would shear off. Unless this has had a MAJOR rethink, there will be no benefit in buying the newer model. SOG's website suggest this has their "patented" compound leverage system, which suggests that somehow they incorporated the system from their other "power" pliers.

However on the original, you could just lift the handle to access a driver of blade etc, and didn't need to "fire" the pliers out first. If they have incorporated the gearing system in, I'm not sure how that's going to work

Interesting. I can't imagine how the would've been able incorporate compound leverage on this type of system. At least not from the pics.

Thanks for posting the pics.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 01:26:10 AM
So does it really have compound leverage, or did they just make the frame look like it has gears... Cosmetic leverage? :D I really like the look and function i hope it can live up to the old quality

* image.jpg (Filesize: 2.18 KB)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:31:04 AM by JBW1 »

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 12:59:05 AM
I wonder if they used the suggestion I did to them more than 3 years ago:think:

About improving their mechanism using box joint pliers

In which one jaw is sandwiched by the other jaw :tu:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:01:49 AM by Ombudsman »

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 03:24:13 PM
Here's a video:

SOG Switch Plier and Other Cool Gear: SHOT Show 2015

I'm kinda excited about this one, hopefully the quality is good.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #36 on: January 21, 2015, 05:26:38 PM
I kinda like it. There website says it has the compound leverage. One thing that I love about SOG is that it is so customizable.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 05:34:09 PM
It's looking very similar to the old version. We need some reassurance that it's not "delicate" like the original. Compound leverage is no good if the handles can't transmit full force to the pliers

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 05:39:34 PM
Something else I noticed on there website, they have the paratools and PPPs back up.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 05:45:54 PM
$65 MRSP sounds pretty reasonable though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 05:48:17 PM

:tu: It sounds very reasonable if they've fixed the pliers and very expensive if they haven't  :D :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 05:49:55 PM
Something else I noticed on there website, they have the paratools and PPPs back up.

Nate

Have they put gear covers on the PPP yet? The PT-510 was far superior to the PPP IMHO

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #42 on: January 21, 2015, 06:03:30 PM
They brought back the switchplier!   :drool:

Pliease please I hope its doesn't suck and its not the quality of a sog DUO.  I would love to look forward to wanting to buy a new MT, it has been a long time since something came out I wanted.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: January 21, 2015, 06:28:04 PM

Nate

Have they put gear covers on the PPP yet? The PT-510 was far superior to the PPP IMHO
I will have to look again Al. They quit making them for a while.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 06:50:31 PM

Agreed. :2tu: Hopefully the tools are also the standard SOG variety so the cobo blade can be exchanged for the proper PE. :D

And is that the coil spring sticking out of the pliers?  :think:  Not sure how I feel about that.

Untitled.jpg
* Untitled.jpg (Filesize: 89.23 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 06:55:17 PM
The spring gotta go some where. Does not bother me at all as long as it works good. I would like to get one and take it apart just to see how they are using the compound leverage.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #46 on: January 21, 2015, 06:59:01 PM
If the spring there makes the tool stronger im ok with it.

:tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #47 on: January 21, 2015, 07:32:33 PM
I'm just afraid it might jump out after some use. I'd like more if it was covered in some way. :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:57:40 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #48 on: January 21, 2015, 07:44:28 PM

Nate
As far as I seen, those are always listed on their site. :think:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 21, 2015, 09:55:55 PM
This thread needs more pics
sog_swp1001_0003_closed_back.jpg
* sog_swp1001_0003_closed_back.jpg (Filesize: 25.23 KB)
sog_swp1001-cp-2.jpg
* sog_swp1001-cp-2.jpg (Filesize: 14.03 KB)
sog_swp1001_0005_hand-closed.jpg
* sog_swp1001_0005_hand-closed.jpg (Filesize: 26.52 KB)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 01:09:06 AM
Guys, maybe not multi tool related, but can anyone identify the orange knife that SOG is displaying on the wall of that video?  I want.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 01:13:55 AM
Guys, maybe not multi tool related, but can anyone identify the orange knife that SOG is displaying on the wall of that video?  I want.

Looks like it might be this one: http://www.sogknives.com/outdoor/knives/huntspoint-boning-s30v.html  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 01:18:42 AM

Nate

I will have to look again Al. They quit making them for a while.

Nate
Gears of madness are still exposed I'm afraid ... or at least they are on the sales pics

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 24, 2015, 04:18:23 PM
http://www.all4shooters.com/en/specials/trade-shows-2015/SHOT-show-2015/knives/sog-knives-swp1001-cp/

Little write up about the SP2.0 and it gives some dimensions at the end of the article:

"Total Components: 12; open: 6.1-inches; closed: 4.3-inches; weight: 6.3-ounces; comes with a pocket clip."

Heavier than I was expecting it to be. I figured it would weigh the same as a PPP. Doesn't bother me any, it's still pretty light - I was just expecting it to be lighter.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: January 24, 2015, 07:18:15 PM
I'm almost 100% convinced now, that this tool is every bit as weak and delicate as the original version. I'm sure this runs on the same crappy little cast peg that kept breaking on the original, which means this is going to break just as easily, and therefore be unusable for a lot of jobs that you would expect from pliers of this size.

Here's why ...

Firstly, lets look back to Bob's pic of the weak peg and how it is engaged with the handles

Now look at where the peg is on the second picture, with the pliers in the deployed position. The peg is at about the 4 O'Clock position on the handle pivot. Now if you imagine closing thos pliers up into the tool, they will run round to the left to about the 9 O'Clock position once the pliers are closed. Look also at the distance that peg is away from the plier pivot .....

.... The distance and extent of travel is suspiciously similar to the part circle that you can see stamped into the body of the tool, almost as if the inside of that stamping is internal clearance for that peg to run ...

Can you see I mean?

If this is the case, the 2.0 version is at least as useless as the original version (considering also their recent trend for shipping production out for low cost manufacturing, and the drop in quality that followed). This tool would therefore be unfit for anything most of us would consider to be normal pliers use. Try using them on even a moderately heavy task that you would expect to do comfortably with pliers of this size, and that tiny little peg is going to shear right off.

Why have they re-released a cosmetically different version of a tool they discontinued because of the amount of warranty returns?
It doesn't make sense!
:ahhh :ahhh

Unless they have made some very significant design changes (which it doesn't look like they have), the company is once again going to be overrun with people returning faulty products .... pretty much every single one that gets used as a pair of pliers as it happens

:facepalm:

Oh .... and to add to that .... the "gearing" on the end doesn't actually run on anything ... it just makes the tool significantly less comfortable in screwdriver mode. So .... they have taken a tool which was singularly the most ergonomic multitool in screwdriver mode, the most redeeming feature on an extremely limited pliers tool, and made it very uncomfortable. How did the meeting go when the proposal to bring this tool back happened?

"Hey guys, remember the Switchplier? Hows about we bring it back, keeping all the inherrent flaws that made us disco it last time, but this time lets make everything that was good on the tool, just as bad as well"

:bnghd:     :bnghd:     :bnghd:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 24, 2015, 07:55:16 PM
Hahaha, trad, you crack me up! I do see what you are getting at, though. Preferably, they fix the flaws of the previous edition before releasing something as "2.0". In this case refining the mechanism so that it is stronger.

However, I still want one.  :facepalm:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: January 24, 2015, 07:57:38 PM
Hahaha, trad, you crack me up! I do see what you are getting at, though. Preferably, they fix the flaws of the previous edition before releasing something as "2.0". In this case refining the mechanism so that it is stronger.

Me too, badly...

Since I'm a light-user, its probably all good :facepalm:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: January 24, 2015, 08:00:40 PM

Hey, if you want to get one for the purposes of looking pretty in a collection somewhere ... go for it. If not, I'd hang on to see what the truth is in the mechanism.

I got one of the original Switchpliers not long back, and I really like the idea of it, but haven't had the courage to carry it for fear of snapping off the feeble peg inside. I suppose that at least now, they have another pathetically weak set of pliers to replace it with if it does break, whereas before there was nothing available to replace my broken tool with.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #58 on: January 24, 2015, 09:05:11 PM
Just checked the Patents for the Switchplier:

Hand tool with retractable jaws US 5829329

Hand tool with retractable jaw assembly US 5957013

And is not being referenced recently by SOG :P

So you must be right Trad !  They didn't do anything to improve the mechanism.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: January 24, 2015, 09:52:52 PM

So you must be right Trad !  They didn't do anything to improve the mechanism.

:facepalm:

So, basically ....

DO NOT BUY THE NEW SWITCHPLIER!

.... unless you just want it to sit in a drawer looking pretty  ::)

Such a shame! For a while there I thought they had actually started trying to do something about their recent decline, and start making some proper tools again. So why have they rereleased it again when they already know it's not up to the job? Add this to the disfunctional donkey turd that is the Powerduo, which they've still not done anything about, and it's like they are actually trying to fail.

I'm ... completely bewildered ........... it makes no sense whatsoever :shrug:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24