Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SOG multis?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: New SOG multis?
Reply #60 on: January 24, 2015, 10:43:35 PM
Still, though, this probably matches up comparably to other light duty, pocket-carry tools such as the Gerber Balance or Octane, or the Leatherman Skeletool (which is known to fail if used for heavy tasks).
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #61 on: January 24, 2015, 10:53:35 PM
That is exactly my question. How bad is it? I mean the last task my pliers had to fulfill was shortening wooden skewers to the shashlik would fit into my frying pan :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #62 on: January 24, 2015, 11:16:21 PM
Still, though, this probably matches up comparably to other light duty, pocket-carry tools such as the Gerber Balance or Octane, or the Leatherman Skeletool (which is known to fail if used for heavy tasks).

Not even close!

Look at the Skele, Balance and Octane, and how these forces are transmitted to the head. The go back to the pic above. Remember that pathetic little pin is only on one side of the head. Think how wire cutters are sited very close to the pivot to be most effective, well that pin is even nearer and so subjected to more force, is only in a cast material (not usually good with tensile or shear forces), and will gradually weaken with every use. Having never broken my original Switchplier (because I don't use it), I can't be more definitive in what the breaking point is ...

At a guess, I'd say Dime would be a nearer comparison, because if you overload those the backspring buckles - but remember you are trying to stay at that level of duty on a fuller sized tool where it's very easy to apply that little bit too much force

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #63 on: January 24, 2015, 11:54:12 PM
I love the looks of the new switch pliers.

It's to bad it won't be a quality tool.

Defend the Hive!!!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #64 on: January 25, 2015, 04:29:11 AM
If its the same cast pin design and it breaks, I'll drill it out and replace it with a hardened steel dowel pin.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #65 on: January 25, 2015, 05:13:51 AM
Just checked the Patents for the Switchplier:

Hand tool with retractable jaws US 5829329

Hand tool with retractable jaw assembly US 5957013

And is not being referenced recently by SOG

So you must be right Trad !  They didn't do anything to improve the mechanism.

(Image removed from quote.)
That says 1998. I wonder if there the same now?

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 25, 2015, 04:00:34 PM
Just checked the Patents for the Switchplier:

Hand tool with retractable jaws US 5829329

Hand tool with retractable jaw assembly US 5957013

And is not being referenced recently by SOG

So you must be right Trad !  They didn't do anything to improve the mechanism.

(Image removed from quote.)
That says 1998. I wonder if there the same now?

Nate

http://www.trademarkia.com/switchplier-75714205.html

I bet it is the same. Tradmarkia page for SwitchPlier - filed in 1999, but check this out, "REGISTERED AND RENEWED
3/16/2011". Have they been sitting on a re-release for 4 years? Lol
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: January 25, 2015, 05:20:26 PM
If its the same cast pin design and it breaks, I'll drill it out and replace it with a hardened steel dowel pin.  :D

Ok I'm totally ignorant when it comes to steel and such. But I conclude from the above, that the pin would hold if done from hardened steel, right? Now check the design again. Unlike the images of the Switchplier the pin is not part of the plier-head. So, maybe the original design was good, but they changed it when it came into production to save money. So, if I understand this correct, all we have to hope for is that they don't jump hoops and make it correct this time.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #68 on: January 25, 2015, 05:32:41 PM

Ok I'm totally ignorant when it comes to steel and such. But I conclude from the above, that the pin would hold if done from hardened steel, right? Now check the design again. Unlike the images of the Switchplier the pin is not part of the plier-head. So, maybe the original design was good, but they changed it when it came into production to save money. So, if I understand this correct, all we have to hope for is that they don't jump hoops and make it correct this time.

Yep most folders used hardened steel stop pins in construction and those take alot of shear force, so its totally doable.  I understand the convenience of having them cast as part of the plier head but that is a very weak design and Id be shocked if they repeated it blindly to have the same failure rate.  That would just be absurd.

Im excited to get one and take it apart though! :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #69 on: January 31, 2015, 02:36:39 AM
I want one.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #70 on: January 31, 2015, 09:57:02 AM
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: January 31, 2015, 05:49:58 PM
Did the Wright Brohers draw that??

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: February 08, 2015, 12:51:51 AM
Pre-order on knife center for $43.95. I like that price a lot more than the $65 msrp

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SOGSWP1001/sog-swp1001-switchplier-20-multi-tool-black-and-silver

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #73 on: February 08, 2015, 01:46:41 AM
The price worries me a bit actually.  Thats less that a power duo, and we all know what kind of quality processes those were constructed with.  I'll still buy one though.  :D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: February 08, 2015, 03:25:06 AM
The price worries me a bit actually.  Thats less that a power duo, and we all know what kind of quality processes those were constructed with.  I'll still buy one though.  :D

I see what you are getting at but I don't think it will be as garbagey as the PowerDuo. The SP2 uses the same implements that the good SOGs use, plus the locking system from the PowerLock. So I would be surprised if there were any more play than is found on the PowerLock. We will have to see about the pliers.

The price of the PowerDuo is a reflection on the Lock-Back knife first, multi-tool second nature of the PowerDuo, IMO

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: February 08, 2015, 09:48:18 PM
 :think:

http://mygunculture.com/two-handy-tools-from-sog/

Shopped, or something SOG considered/is considering for the future?
SOG-SwitchPlier-20.jpg
* SOG-SwitchPlier-20.jpg (Filesize: 66.76 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #76 on: February 08, 2015, 10:37:56 PM
Totally shopped

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: February 09, 2015, 12:19:10 AM
It doesn't look like it would be able to close the handles together all the way.

The fact that the handles look slightly different and that it has two flats, as well as a CE and SE blade had me thinking prototype

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: March 09, 2015, 02:30:20 AM
I wonder if you will be able to swap out the file for scissors? I would even lose file and can opener for a pair of scissors.

Any news on a release date yet?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #79 on: March 09, 2015, 08:41:23 AM
You can order one from SOG web site right now.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: March 09, 2015, 10:22:23 PM
They have it up, but it just says coming soon. 
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #81 on: March 10, 2015, 12:07:57 AM
I will wait until retailers have them in stock to order one.
Don't want to pay MSRP ordering from SOG directly.
Back two months ago i was able to order it, but i didn't.
What is going on there? :think:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #82 on: March 15, 2015, 01:26:57 AM
Academy had the new switchpliers on the self today.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: March 17, 2015, 04:05:00 AM
:think:

http://mygunculture.com/two-handy-tools-from-sog/

Shopped, or something SOG considered/is considering for the future?

In regards to the image, which shows a Switchplier 2.0 with tools in BOTH handles, I asked the guy who posted the article with the picture in question and he says:

"This is from the media kit I picked up at SHOT Show. If I remember correctly, the “more tools” version is coming out soon."

Pretty cool.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: March 21, 2015, 12:38:16 AM
As I look at the switchplier, I keep thinking, "What if the other components (knife, drivers...) were available on the outside?" Is sog against outside access tools?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: March 21, 2015, 01:53:35 AM
As I look at the switchplier, I keep thinking, "What if the other components (knife, drivers...) were available on the outside?" Is sog against outside access tools?

Apparently they are, lol. They would be my favorite MT company if they would update their designs.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: March 21, 2015, 02:05:54 AM

Apparently they are, lol. They would be my favorite MT company if they would update their designs.
Ditto

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%