Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I think I might actually take the plunge.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: I think I might actually take the plunge.
Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 08:23:07 AM
I'm having second thoughts! For less than half the price of a Sebby I can get one of these bad boys.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=17
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 08:33:31 AM
I was seriously considering the sprint run Endura until I found out it does not have a pocket clip.  :rant:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 08:36:17 AM
You can get a Damascus/Titanium delica for half the price.  I do own a small sebenza 21 and an umnumzaan and truly enjoy both and feel they are worth the money. I would love a custom blade someday but what I spent on Chris Reeve knives is about my limit I'd pay for one item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #33 on: January 10, 2015, 08:41:54 AM
From the title I thought you were getting married

I did suggest a sebenza or maybe a custom to you a while back so I support your decision. I do however remember how disappointed I was when my 1st GEC was not the perfect knife I was lead to believe it will be.
I have several modern folders but the one I am happiest with, and carry, is one of the cheapest, the SRM 763...

For the money, myself, I would go for a new sebenza rather than a used one.

Good luck.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: January 10, 2015, 08:52:48 AM
You can get a Damascus/Titanium delica for half the price.  I do own a small sebenza 21 and an umnumzaan and truly enjoy both and feel they are worth the money. I would love a custom blade someday but what I spent on Chris Reeve knives is about my limit I'd pay for one item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I just mentioned the Damascus/Titanium Endura, but they do not have a pocket clip. WTF is up with that.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 02:23:06 PM
This is a hard decision Capt. What worries me is that you don't like thumb studs. I'd hate to see you dish out that kind of coin and have a knife you're only 90% in love with.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 10, 2015, 02:57:36 PM
Alcohol and knife purchasing can be VERY dangerous, I know first hand  :whistle:. If you are going to spend the money I would wait and get the one you really want. Good luck Cap :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 03:06:13 PM
Can you get one of the cheap SRM Sebenza clones so that you can try out the "format" of the knife first and see if you'll get along with it? I got one of the crunch clones a while back, and it saved me a fortune on buying the real thing because I couldn't get along with the format of the tool

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #38 on: January 10, 2015, 03:39:59 PM
Go for it man!  If you end up hating it, Im sure the resale on those is fine.  They have a good reputation so I wouldnt be worried like buying an expensive knife from a new maker.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 09:06:06 PM
Luckily I did not order anything after those drinks last night.  :D  I have been thinking about it some more and really wan't the BladeHQ exclusive Sebenza. It is everything I want in a Sebenza. I might just hold out until they have them back in stock. I have no idea how long that might take though. I tried to call today and apparently they do not do business on Saturday.  :shrug: I will wait until Monday and give them a call to see if they can tell me how long it will take to get them in stock and go from their. I figure I might as well get the one I really want. If I can't get that one in a timely manner I'm not sure what I will do.  :think: I really would of liked the Damascus/Titanium Endura, but their is no pocket clip. That completely ruins that idea.  :facepalm:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Ariena

• Process Engineer
Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 09:17:45 PM
Remember this:

WHEN YOU BUY QUALITY, YOU ONLY CRY ONCE.
MOBY DICK IS NOT A SOCIAL DISEASE

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 11:35:10 PM
I own 4x CRK folders, and have mixed feelings about them.  They don't actually cut stuff any better than other knives.  Slice an apple with a Sebenza and a Kershaw, and the apple won't know the difference.   And a full flat grind Delica will go through cardboard better than will a Sebenza.  But cutting stuff is not why people buy them.  They buy these knives to feel good.  And that's a perfectly legit reason for buying one.  The titanium, the price, the smooth pivot, the price, the cult-like following, the price . . .  these things can make us feel good. 

Now, CRK fans generally don't want to acknowledge this stuff.  They often try to act like CRK knives perform actual knife stuff - i.e., cutting - better than any other knife ever made.  This just isn't true.  People buy them for the emotional  satisfaction of playing with them, carrying them and using them.  Again, that's a very legit reason for buying one, and as I said, I bought one 4x times.

I also feel a little bit stupid for owning a CRK.  In my view, they cost twice as much as they "should", but Chris Reeve is charging what the market will bear, so good for him.  I also really do not like the thumb studs.  CRK folders are not easy to open, and hurt the thumb a little.  A Spyderco is 42x easier to open in my view.

I think Nutnfancy's review is spot on, as he acknowledges both the good and the not so good about Sebenzas.  The "Meet your Maker" series on YouTube is also a good one, and will make you want to buy one when you see what goes into it.

Another thought - I really envy and admire guys who are hardcore into CRK folders.  There is something very appealing about the enthusiasm they have for their toys.  I'd like to be that way about CRK, but just can't.  In the back of my mind, there is always that little birdy that says "why did you spend $435 for a Sebenza when a $55 Delica cuts stuff just the same?".

So there you have it.  I would encourage you to get one.  You may think its the best thing ever.  And if you don't, you can get 80% of your money out of it with no prob.  Just don't lose it.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 12:11:34 AM
I own 4x CRK folders, and have mixed feelings about them.  They don't actually cut stuff any better than other knives.  Slice an apple with a Sebenza and a Kershaw, and the apple won't know the difference.   And a full flat grind Delica will go through cardboard better than will a Sebenza.  But cutting stuff is not why people buy them.  They buy these knives to feel good.  And that's a perfectly legit reason for buying one.  The titanium, the price, the smooth pivot, the price, the cult-like following, the price . . .  these things can make us feel good. 

Now, CRK fans generally don't want to acknowledge this stuff.  They often try to act like CRK knives perform actual knife stuff - i.e., cutting - better than any other knife ever made.  This just isn't true.  People buy them for the emotional  satisfaction of playing with them, carrying them and using them.  Again, that's a very legit reason for buying one, and as I said, I bought one 4x times.

I also feel a little bit stupid for owning a CRK.  In my view, they cost twice as much as they "should", but Chris Reeve is charging what the market will bear, so good for him.  I also really do not like the thumb studs.  CRK folders are not easy to open, and hurt the thumb a little.  A Spyderco is 42x easier to open in my view.

I think Nutnfancy's review is spot on, as he acknowledges both the good and the not so good about Sebenzas.  The "Meet your Maker" series on YouTube is also a good one, and will make you want to buy one when you see what goes into it.

Another thought - I really envy and admire guys who are hardcore into CRK folders.  There is something very appealing about the enthusiasm they have for their toys.  I'd like to be that way about CRK, but just can't.  In the back of my mind, there is always that little birdy that says "why did you spend $435 for a Sebenza when a $55 Delica cuts stuff just the same?".

So there you have it.  I would encourage you to get one.  You may think its the best thing ever.  And if you don't, you can get 80% of your money out of it with no prob.  Just don't lose it.

I was waiting for you to tell me what you think. I knew you had a few of them. I completely agree with everything you have said as well.

I have decided on a large 21. I like the plane jane large 21, but my grail is the BladeHQ carbon fiber inlay large 21 which is sadly sold out at the moment. I wrote them and will call on Monday to see if I can find out if they will be getting them back in stock any time soon. I have a feeling they will either say they have no idea or they just will not tell me. I am not sure if I will wait or not if they do not give me a estimated guess on when they might have them. If I cannot get the carbon fiber inlay I might just save $100 and buy the plain large 21.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 12:53:06 AM
There are several guys on Bladeforums who bought a CRK, and then ended up selling every other knife they own because - to them - nothing else measures up.  They really are the "best" when it comes to smoothness, tight tolerances, etc.  It all depends on what it is that floats your boat.  I happy to love just about every knife I have laid my hands on, so I'm lucky (deranged) in that regard.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #44 on: January 11, 2015, 03:09:22 AM
Great summary of your thoughts Noodle.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 02:33:53 PM
I've been carrying my small Sebenza 21 for the last couple of days.  Here's a little comparo of the small 21 vs. the PM2.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/998277-Small-Sebenza-vs-Para-2

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: January 12, 2015, 05:14:37 PM
Well said PN. 
Be warned Capt this guy ( I'll PM you his video ) is on another level but I see you headed in this direction.  When someone demands the quality you do from production knives ( sadly you wont get it ) then you'll need to step up to Custom, Semi Custom, or Mid-tech.  When too many hands have touched the knife any number of things can and do go wrong.  Technology is great however when the knife maker has had a hand in the process you are most likely gonna get the quality you seek. 

Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Kin-Luu

• Can never carry enough tools.
Reply #47 on: January 12, 2015, 06:46:12 PM
I do not really like the Sebeneza. It just, I don't know, it just looks so ordinary. Especially for a knife that costs ~400€ here in €uropa.

I just expect more for that price. Seriously, a thumbstud? Plain titanium frame? No, that will not do.

And Chris Reeve can do more. Just look at the Mnandi. What a beauty. That refined, sexy lines, that sleek elegant blade, those ebony inlays, it is just a complete package of awesomeness - now that knife screams 'I am worth 400€'.

/e: Damn you, now I need one.

/e2: And it is on its way.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:56:11 PM by Kin-Luu »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: January 12, 2015, 10:21:01 PM
I do not really like the Sebeneza. It just, I don't know, it just looks so ordinary. Especially for a knife that costs ~400€ here in €uropa.

I just expect more for that price. Seriously, a thumbstud? Plain titanium frame? No, that will not do.

And Chris Reeve can do more. Just look at the Mnandi. What a beauty. That refined, sexy lines, that sleek elegant blade, those ebony inlays, it is just a complete package of awesomeness - now that knife screams 'I am worth 400€'.

/e: Damn you, now I need one.

/e2: And it is on its way.

I get what you are saying, but a incredible amount of work goes into his knives. Not to mention the precision he uses is much tighter than even aerospace applications. He does also make many other Sebenzas besides just the plain jane models. You will pay more though.

Just a few examples.

If you are interested to really see why they cost what they do then here is a excellent two part video to watch.

I am in no way trying to justify the cost as I do think they are somewhat over priced. It is worth it to some and not to others. I do not know where I stand on this as I am yet to own one.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: January 12, 2015, 10:25:44 PM
Well said PN. 
Be warned Capt this guy ( I'll PM you his video ) is on another level but I see you headed in this direction.  When someone demands the quality you do from production knives ( sadly you wont get it ) then you'll need to step up to Custom, Semi Custom, or Mid-tech.  When too many hands have touched the knife any number of things can and do go wrong.  Technology is great however when the knife maker has had a hand in the process you are most likely gonna get the quality you seek. 

I got your PM, thank you. Its funny you mention this. It is no secret that I demand a lot (as in fit and finish) of my knives and tools. Funny thing is it can be had and not by spending a incredible amount of money. Take for instance the Kershaw/Emerson line of knives. I own 2  :think: or 3 of those and they cost under $30. All of them have been excellent in every sense of the word and I have nothing bad to say about them. Fit and finish was much better than my Benchmade Griptilian which cost 4X as much.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 12, 2015, 10:35:39 PM
I am in no way trying to justify the cost as I do think they are somewhat over priced. It is worth it to some and not to others. I do not know where I stand on this as I am yet to own one.

I know EXACTLY what you men with this. I paid a lot of money for one folding knife, which actually didn't cut things any better than anything esle I owned and felt quite ... empty. I still like the knife, but would never pay that much for a folder again. That said, you and tend to measure knife quality/value differently  :salute:

I don't think you are ever going to know unless you go for it mate. Of course you might find out you are not as happy as you hoped, but at least they do hold their value fairly well as I understand it. I'd hate for you to feel disappointed in it, but unless you get one in your mitts .. you'll never know

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: January 12, 2015, 10:42:11 PM

I know EXACTLY what you men with this. I paid a lot of money for one folding knife, which actually didn't cut things any better than anything esle I owned and felt quite ... empty. I still like the knife, but would never pay that much for a folder again. That said, you and tend to measure knife quality/value differently  :salute:

I don't think you are ever going to know unless you go for it mate. Of course you might find out you are not as happy as you hoped, but at least they do hold their value fairly well as I understand it. I'd hate for you to feel disappointed in it, but unless you get one in your mitts .. you'll never know

This is where we differ as you said. I know a $500 knife will cut almost exactly the same as a $50 knife. Its exactly the same with watches. A $10 Timex tells the time as well as a $5000 Rolex, but people spend the money on a Rolex for the quality. Its exactly the same situation. I find the manufacturing process and materials used to be where the cost is "justified".
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: January 12, 2015, 10:45:22 PM
A quick update. I called the dealer I will most likely order from inquiring about the specific model I want. I was told they will be getting more, but the time frame is unknown. So now I must make a decision to wait for the one I really want or to buy something else now. I know if I buy one now (and love the knife) when the model I really want comes out I will want it, but most likely not be able to afford it. I could buy one and the other knife arrives for sale the next week or it could be 3-6 months from now. Its the unknown that kills me.  :facepalm:
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: January 12, 2015, 10:51:35 PM

This is where we differ as you said. I know a $500 knife will cut almost exactly the same as a $50 knife. Its exactly the same with watches. A $10 Timex tells the time as well as a $5000 Rolex, but people spend the money on a Rolex for the quality. Its exactly the same situation. I find the manufacturing process and materials used to be where the cost is "justified".

Yeah, I hoped to feel the same way too ... but didn't ... though that might be choice of knife, as much as my own character. Then again, I have paid big money for a fixed blade and felt much happier, maybe because it was a bigger heavier lump of knife. Different psychology at play.

I think if you just want to experience the precision of manufacturing rather than it feeling it fits you personally like a glove, you're maybe heading in the right direction. How would you feel if the build quality was sheer perfection, but it just didn't quite sit right in your hand, or the thumb stud didn't quite replace the spydie hole you're used to? Would you still feel you had got what you hoped for?

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 12, 2015, 10:51:52 PM

A quick update. I called the dealer I will most likely order from inquiring about the specific model I want. I was told they will be getting more, but the time frame is unknown. So now I must make a decision to wait for the one I really want or to buy something else now. I know if I buy one now (and love the knife) when the model I really want comes out I will want it, but most likely not be able to afford it. I could buy one and the other knife arrives for sale the next week or it could be 3-6 months from now. Its the unknown that kills me.  :facepalm:
If it were me, I would wait for the one I really wanted. I'd Make sure the money for it is hidden away so I don't spend it on something else.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: January 12, 2015, 11:09:26 PM

If it were me, I would wait for the one I really wanted. I'd Make sure the money for it is hidden away so I don't spend it on something else.

I do want to do that, but I know if I do not spend the money now it will most likely get used on other things and I will end up not getting a Sebenza at all. That's my only problem.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 12, 2015, 11:10:33 PM

I do want to do that, but I know if I do not spend the money now it will most likely get used on other things and I will end up not getting a Sebenza at all. That's my only problem.
id have your wife hide the money in the house lol

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: January 12, 2015, 11:14:17 PM

Yeah, I hoped to feel the same way too ... but didn't ... though that might be choice of knife, as much as my own character. Then again, I have paid big money for a fixed blade and felt much happier, maybe because it was a bigger heavier lump of knife. Different psychology at play.

I think if you just want to experience the precision of manufacturing rather than it feeling it fits you personally like a glove, you're maybe heading in the right direction. How would you feel if the build quality was sheer perfection, but it just didn't quite sit right in your hand, or the thumb stud didn't quite replace the spydie hole you're used to? Would you still feel you had got what you hoped for?

I am not "picky" about how it fits my hand. That is not why I would buy one. I am pretty happy with how any knife fits my hand to be honest. I am easy going about that sort of thing. I also know the action and thumb stud will be different. The Sebenza was designed before the time of the tactical folders we know today that are all about speed and fast deployment so while I am a bit concerned about the thumb stud it is not a show stopper as I will not be deploying the knife in the same fashion as say a Spyderco.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #58 on: January 12, 2015, 11:37:51 PM

+1 It will be worth the wait  :pok:
SAW

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 12, 2015, 11:40:07 PM

+1 It will be worth the wait  :pok:
do you have one sawman?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44