Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30-Day Victorinox Classic SD Challenge!

Jothra · 98 · 12827

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
30-Day Victorinox Classic SD Challenge!
on: January 11, 2015, 12:05:55 AM
The 30-Day Victorinox Classic SD Challenge!

This isn't a challenge I had ever really thought of doing, because even though I know I could reasonably function with a Classic for a month, I haven't really wanted to. I always saw a challenge like this -- a tool unsuited to the vagaries of commercial construction -- as more of a test of my ability to cope with a small tool than a test of the tool's ability to cope with me.

As I sat in my chair (I have a chair) the other day, ruminating on the fact that my new Evo s14 meant not having to carry a Classic for its scissors anymore, it came to me. I don't actually work in commercial construction anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't test a Classic's mettle (or, for that matter, metal). It just means manufacturing horrible, warranty-voiding tests to add to the everyday stuff I do anyway.

I promise the following:
  • I will turn some screws, in several flavours (slot, Robertson, Phillips, Torx, etc.)
  • I will test the file/screwdriver as a super-light prying tool.
  • I will use this thing as a chisel.
  • I will ream holes with it somehow. Thanks to some time I spent with a Compact a few years ago, I think I can actually make this work.
  • I will use it for as much food prep as it can handle. This will likely be more than you or I suspect.
  • I will baton with what I think may be the least suited batoning blade in the whole world. As if batoning is ever good for any blade at all.
  • I will smash this tool with hammers.
  • I will, if I can swing it, open at least one can. Of all the things on this list, I think this will be the most difficult.
  • In what will feel like a vacation for this tool, I will cut a whole lot of finger and toe nails.
  • I will guarantee pictures of anything I do outside of my workplace. They don't like cameras there. The good news: most of the really cool tests will be done on my own time.

To make the challenge results more applicable to the world at large, I need to purchase an ordinary cellidor Classic at my local Home Hardware (my current two are alox and nylon). I will be walking to the store as soon as I have posted this to make my purchase.

Now I need your help. The tool will need a name. I am open to all suggestions, and will choose using my usual hastily-written-because-I-always-lose-it PHP randomizer script. If it helps, the Classic I'm buying is most likely the yellow, Home-branded one.

Now I am off. In a couple hours, I'll be back, and ready to take the pictures and post the Day 0 look at the brand-new, unblargered Classic.

I'll see you early this evening.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: 30-Day Victorinox Classic SD Challenge!
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:02 AM
You had me worried for a second. Where were you in October? Name it Johnny.  :tu:

us Offline getahl

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 12:44:14 AM
In the game Mass Effect 2, there is a character named Zaeed who had an ugly, super reliable rifle that was his pride and joy. He named it Jesse. Beat to snot, used it forever and a day, but well loved. Your Classic should be named Jesse.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 01:27:20 AM
In the game Mass Effect 2, there is a character named Zaeed who had an ugly, super reliable rifle that was his pride and joy. He named it Jesse. Beat to snot, used it forever and a day, but well loved. Your Classic should be named Jesse.
i second that. Very excited to see another challenge.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 01:31:12 AM
Good luck! I like all these challenges!

I hope you update daily. I love seeing real opinions, they mean so much more than a review.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 01:34:35 AM
Oh thank god! I thought this was a challenge for every one. Good luck Jothra.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 03:22:07 AM
Good luck Jothra :tu: I can't imaging using a classic exclusively for 30 days :ahhh Looking forward to seeing how long it lasts!
darren

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 03:25:41 AM
 :clap:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 03:32:05 AM

Nate

:ahhh  Yeah me too!!!!!!!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 03:33:28 AM
Sub'd
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

Offline AmberDragon

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 03:34:38 AM
I humbly submit "Little Mac," after the tiny boxer first seen punching way above his weight class in Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 03:51:30 AM
Great challenge, I could not do this one, Good luck :tu:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 04:29:27 AM
The 30-Day Victorinox Classic SD Challenge!
Day 0

A real Classic, or one of the Classic Blunders?
(i.e. starting a land war in Asia or matching
wits against a Sicilian when death is on the line)

Here it is, ladies ad gentlemen! A shiny new Victorinox Classic in Home Hardware Yellow (which is odd, because Home Hardware is usually all about the red).

The two sides of the newly purchased and possibly doomed tool.

As with my trusty old alox Classic, and my much newer StaGlo Classic, this one is super snappy and smooth. Apart from the handy size, this attention to quality control is probably why this is the best-selling pocketknife of all time. That and the price.

This is pretty much the knife equivalent of being naked.

The toolset is pretty straightforward: knife, file with screwdriver tip, scissors, tweezers, and toothpick. Naturally anything this set of tools can't handle will go to either my regular pocketknife or my satchel multitool. I'm going to make a prediction now, though, and claim that this tool will be substantially more capable than people suspect.

Schlisschors!

Here's what the Classic's scissors look like next to those in a Victorinox Huntsman (Vicky) and a Delémont (née Wenger) s14. The Classic's are obviously smaller, and use a smaller version of the replaceable Victorinox leaf spring (which, incidentally, can be modified to replace the lock spring in a Victorinox 111mm slide lock). I like all three scissor styles for their intended purpose (scissoring). If my time with a Compact back in the mid-late aughties is any indication, I am probably going to find out just how interestingly Victorinox scissors can be misused.
     The scissors may end up being the most-used tool on this little schmoe, because carrying a Swiss Army Knife with scissors is the one thing that keeps me from biting my nails. My nails are pretty nice, I must say.

Is it a file? A screwdriver? A beefy prying tool? A Richardson's ground squirrel?

This is the comboiest of all the tools. A file and a screwdriver (which I know from previous experience will work famously with small slots, #2 Robertsons, and #2 Phillips), I will also expect this thing to handle light prying jobs. It obviously won't be able to handle the absolute horrors that a 91mm Victorinox large driver laughs at (best implement ever?), but I think I'll be able to squeeze some blood from this stone. Metaphorically, I mean, because stone blood is gross and also fictional.

I've gotta practice my stabbin'! Ha! Ha ha!

When it comes to everyday tasks like package opening or cutting string or whatever, the small Classic blade will do just fine. Its thinness makes it very sharp. It's made of the usual Spiffy Victorinox Super Funtime SteelTM, so it holds an edge reasonably well, and easily takes a new one.
     When it comes to food prep, I suspect we're looking at a bit more trouble. It's a pretty small blade, but I've been slicing my apples with a pocketknife for more than 20 years. Slicing cheese may be an issue. It doesn't matter! We will march on!
     Don't forget that we're here to test the knife, not to test myself, so any task I would normally give to my pocket Swiss Army Knife is fair game for the Classic. Unless there is no conceivable way to make the Classic work, I must try. Also, since I'm mostly out of the construction business, I will have to invent artificial challenges to make sure we're giving this tool a full workout. Exciting!

Will the Classic surprise us all? Will it survive true horror? Will the Home Hardware branding rub off (yes)? Find out as we start the 30-Day Victorinox Classic SD Challenge!

"My new owner seems nice. I'm positive it's smooth sailing for me from now on!"

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 05:16:36 AM
I think you are off to a great start Jothra.

Im Going to enjoy reading this topic.   :tu:

My 2 cents

Please
Don't let your work suffer for our entertainment. Good jobs are hard to find.

I think it's also a safety issue you being out there working with just a classic.

I want to ask you to carry and not use a full size multitool. Backup.
Just in case.
Please.

I more than trust you to only use the classic on everything. I just don't want to see you lacking man. Some times a classic isn't enough.  Sorry I had to say it.

Think about it before you say no.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:23:15 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 05:24:59 AM
I appreciate that, JA, and my Rebar will stay in its sheath on my satchel's shoulder strap where it belongs. My s14 will probably go in the key pocket.

Mind you, I teach in a one room school, so I imagine a Classic can probably hold its own until after work, when I get real.

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 05:36:45 AM
I appreciate that, JA, and my Rebar will stay in its sheath on my satchel's shoulder strap where it belongs. My s14 will probably go in the key pocket.

Mind you, I teach in a one room school, so I imagine a Classic can probably hold its own until after work, when I get real.

:multi:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 06:15:52 AM
Scared the smurf out of me. Thought you was suggesting a Classic 30 day for everyone.

Would be interesting challenge though, maybe a Rambler/Manager 30 day?

As for another one of Jothra's trademark 30 day adventures in abuse  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:56 AM
I humbly submit "Little Mac," after the tiny boxer first seen punching way above his weight class in Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

I second this suggestion, as Little Mac has also reappeared in the most recent version of Super Smash Bros. :tu:

Looking forward to following this one, Jothra! you are a brave soul, indeed. :cheers:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 07:10:06 AM

I second this suggestion, as Little Mac has also reappeared in the most recent version of Super Smash Bros. :tu:

Looking forward to following this one, Jothra! you are a brave soul, indeed. :cheers:

Yeah plus if you name it Little Mac he can be Little Boy's brother from another mother.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 07:22:01 AM
This will be epic! :popcorn:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 07:24:54 AM
I imagine a Classic can probably hold its own until after work, when I get real.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 07:28:55 AM
Just had a thought.

Postpone the 30 day Jothra challenge so we have time to beg, borrow or steal a 58mm and then Jothra can host a 58mm challenge concurrent with his 30 day.

:tu:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

us Offline getahl

Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 10:28:48 AM
I'm totally going to open a coconut with this thing.
Film it!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 11:15:07 AM

I'm totally going to open a coconut with this thing.
Film it!

Yes!  film it!

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

00 Offline jacktrades

Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 11:36:22 AM
Unexpected thread  :tu: One to watch closely, nevertheless.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 11:43:14 AM
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 11:53:57 AM
I imagine a Classic can probably hold its own until after work, when I get real.
So, the green monster thingy is Jothra and the scared dude is Little Mac?

This ought to be very interesting. Never dared to see how much abuse such a small tool can take. I carried a Midnight Manager for the Minimalistic challenge and struggled quite a bit as I had trouble with the screws in a computer. Also cutting an apple or spreading some butter is hard with such a short /small blade.

Anyway, go ahead, show the coconut who's boss :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 01:31:11 PM

Nate

+1

Actually I hesitated for a moment to open this thread.  :facepalm:
But now all is fine.
And good luck!  :tu:
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 04:55:45 PM

Nate

+1

Actually I hesitated for a moment to open this thread.  :facepalm:
But now all is fine.
And good luck!  :tu:

Seems like a lot of folks are pretty excited to do a 58mm 31 day challenge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%