Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Kind of Knife Sharpener for the Boys and I?

Offline DoosanMan

What Kind of Knife Sharpener for the Boys and I?
on: January 11, 2015, 02:34:18 AM
Ok, I have three boys 7-11 years old.  Between us we have a number of pocket knives and multi-tools.  What about sharpening them?  All we have is the wife's kitchen knife sharpener and I'm a bit skeptical using it.......What is a good sharpener for pocket knives, multitools and the such?

thanks!

Offline b00mhower

Re: What Kind of Knife Sharpener for the Boys and I?
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:36:10 AM
Ok, I have three boys 7-11 years old.  Between us we have a number of pocket knives and multi-tools.  What about sharpening them?  All we have is the wife's kitchen knife sharpener and I'm a bit skeptical using it.......What is a good sharpener for pocket knives, multitools and the such?

thanks!
Can't go wrong with the basics. Whetstones

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 02:44:04 AM
I would suggest the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It is easy to use and keep a proper angle and works wonders. The one and only thing I see that can be a issue is if you have any knives that have a very hard steel. Without the extra stones the Sharpmaker might not be able to handle those types of steels. If we are just talking standard stuff like Leatherman uses then you should be fine.

I do not blame you on being skeptical about pull through sharpeners. I would not put ANY blade through one of those. They do more damage than anything and can completely ruin the edge on any knife.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 02:44:08 AM
I'd move on up to a Lansky System. Buy one kit now, let the boys learn how to use it, one of them will most likely keep it for a lifetime.

I DO believe everyone should learn how to sharpen a knife on a regular stone, but you already have one right??

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 02:45:54 AM
I'd move on up to a Lansky System. Buy one kit now, let the boys learn how to use it, one of them will most likely keep it for a lifetime.

I DO believe everyone should learn how to sharpen a knife on a regular stone, but you already have one right??

I was not a fan of the Lansky system, but they work beautifully for others.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 02:49:46 AM
I'm just not a fan of holding the knife. I'd much rather use the stone across the blade, than the blade across the stone. That's just me though, unfortunately for the OP he may have to buy both and find out which one he likes

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 03:00:15 AM
The Sharpmaker is good but so is a lansky or just free hand on different stones.

There's so many ways to get a nice edge.

I use a spyderco 701 profile set and or Norton bench stones myself.

Defend the Hive!!!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 03:44:26 AM
you would be surprised how well this works

Bottom rim of a coffee mug or small plate can get your blades shaving sharp.  I use this trick all the time.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 03:47:32 AM
+1 for the Sharpmaker

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 03:48:56 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Bottom rim of a coffee mug or small plate can get your blades shaving sharp.  I use this trick all the time.

This does work, but only if your knife is not to dull to begin with.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 12:34:28 PM

+1 I tend to think of that method as more like steeling (edge straightening) than sharpening (material removal). Same can be achieved on a rolled down car window. For actul sharpening, I tried a few different sharpeners but you are better off learning to sharpen freehand, even if you move to using some assisted system afterwards. If you can sharpen freehand, you can compensate should your sharpening system not match up exactly with the angle on the range of blades you are trying to maintain ... besides which, it means you can sometimes improvise a sharpening medium if you are away from your system and need to improve the edge

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 02:03:15 PM

I would suggest the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It is easy to use and keep a proper angle and works wonders. The one and only thing I see that can be a issue is if you have any knives that have a very hard steel. Without the extra stones the Sharpmaker might not be able to handle those types of steels. If we are just talking standard stuff like Leatherman uses then you should be fine.

I do not blame you on being skeptical about pull through sharpeners. I would not put ANY blade through one of those. They do more damage than anything and can completely ruin the edge on any knife.

I think The Captain has nailed it. Great bit of fuss free, easy and relatively safe kit..

Regards, Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 03:56:15 PM
I been using these little guys http://lansky.com/index.php/products/mini-crock-stick/.  They are great  :tu:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 06:07:51 PM
I love my spyderco pocket stone double stuff:
http://m.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=87

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 06:40:57 PM
lansky, free hand, sharpmaker .....

all good, but you need to decide what suits you
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 07:14:23 PM
Another recommendation for the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
- Steve

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 07:58:46 PM
He wants something his boys can use as well.
It depends whether you want something you can all easily use, or if you are all keen to learn to do it freehand.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 10:06:23 PM
I'm a disaster at freehand (almost blinded myself when breaking the blade of a Nirosta on a stone).
Never used the Spyderco Sharpmaker so will abtain.
I can swear on my Lansky though... once you wrap the edges to avoid scratching the blade and find a trick to turn the knob (I wrap it in my sleeve) it's just amazing.
All you need is learning the trick: where to place the clamp and how to push the stones (use equal number on each side). I ruined a couple of cheapos before finding how to use it properly, but now I can get everything in my house razor-sharp in a few minutes (I even managed to reprofile two saks with it...).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline b00mhower

Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 04:27:51 AM
I'm a disaster at freehand (almost blinded myself when breaking the blade of a Nirosta on a stone).
I can swear on my Lansky though... once you wrap the edges to avoid scratching the blade and find a trick to turn the knob (I wrap it in my sleeve) it's just amazing.
All you need is learning the trick: where to place the clamp and how to push the stones (use equal number on each side). I ruined a couple of cheapos before finding how to use it properly, but now I can get everything in my house razor-sharp in a few minutes (I even managed to reprofile two saks with it...).
I'm extremely curious of how you managed that first part

Using Tapatalk

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 07:34:16 AM

After spending almost an hour trying to reprofile the damned Nirosta kitchen knives (spoons were sharper) and seeing they went right through the softer stones I pushed too hard on the side, blade snapped sideways and cartrolled through the air missing my eye by a few centimeters... no biggie anyway as it was still rather dull  ;)
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline b00mhower

Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 01:58:00 AM

After spending almost an hour trying to reprofile the damned Nirosta kitchen knives (spoons were sharper) and seeing they went right through the softer stones I pushed too hard on the side, blade snapped sideways and cartrolled through the air missing my eye by a few centimeters... no biggie anyway as it was still rather dull  ;)
Patience brother....patience. sounds like you need some if you were pushing hard enough that you snapped the blade

Using Tapatalk

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 11:10:26 AM
back to the original question - i'm in a similar situation, I bought a lansky blade medic and plan on getting a basic cheapie whetstone off ebay. the plan then is to practice on cheap blades until the kids (and my) skills are refined - re the blade medic, i haven't enough skill/experience to say how good it is, but i'm happy with it so far.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 12:01:09 PM
Usually i´m not overly crazy with my blades, so i havn´t tried very much systems - mostly i just want them to cut, sharpening is no hobby for me.

Any knifes that just need to cut i use the IKEA sharpener: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/57145296/

I believe to remember it can also bought for more from Fiskars, but not completely sure on that.

For more, i go oldstyle with stones.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 11:08:25 PM

I was not a fan of the Lansky system, but they work beautifully for others.  :tu:

Completely agree on the sharpmaker.  Great results and very easy to use.  The lansky while good, is a fiddly precision angle tool that is way overkill for simple knives IMO.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 12:53:41 AM

Completely agree on the sharpmaker.  Great results and very easy to use.  The lansky while good, is a fiddly precision angle tool that is way overkill for simple knives IMO.

I started out with the Lansky, and I did actually find it a good aid to understanding what I was doing (especially when for some reason it didn't do what I wanted) but once I got bored of that I moved to freehand. I don't get the worlds greatest edges, but I get them sharp enough to cut as I need them to

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 01:32:06 AM
I won't be of much help, I use the stone I used on my hockey skates! Works surprisingly well now that I sort of know what I'm doing.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 02:33:19 AM
You could get a Sharpmaker for touchups and get a Norton combo India stone to practice on so when it gets too dull or you need to fix any damage to the blade.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 05:52:27 AM
You can have any ceramic knife sharpener which will help you out to sharpen knife at home.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 12:27:02 PM
I wish I was one of those gurus who could sharpen a knife on a coffee mug, car window, or using  some sort of freehand system......but I'm not. So I use Chef's Choice model 120. It keeps all my knives shaving sharp.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:44 PM

I use a flat sharpening stone to get the blade sharp and then use this method for finishing it and get it even sharper and smoother. I usually make a few cuts in a piece of paper afterwards to remove any grits from the blade.

Works for me!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD