Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Kind of Knife Sharpener for the Boys and I?

gr Offline fstat

Re: What Kind of Knife Sharpener for the Boys and I?
Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 06:40:32 PM
+1 for the Sharpmaker. It will keep your knives sharp for years to come.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 02:26:28 AM
you would be surprised how well this works

(Image removed from quote.)

Bottom rim of a coffee mug or small plate can get your blades shaving sharp.  I use this trick all the time.

This does work, but only if your knife is not to dull to begin with.

+1 I tend to think of that method as more like steeling (edge straightening) than sharpening (material removal). Same can be achieved on a rolled down car window. For actul sharpening, I tried a few different sharpeners but you are better off learning to sharpen freehand, even if you move to using some assisted system afterwards. If you can sharpen freehand, you can compensate should your sharpening system not match up exactly with the angle on the range of blades you are trying to maintain ... besides which, it means you can sometimes improvise a sharpening medium if you are away from your system and need to improve the edge

It actually does remove material. The darkening of the bottom of the cup after several strokes is a subtle bit of metal.  Its not good for a really dull knife, as stated above

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 08:00:47 AM
I'd move on up to a Lansky System. Buy one kit now, let the boys learn how to use it, one of them will most likely keep it for a lifetime.

I DO believe everyone should learn how to sharpen a knife on a regular stone, but you already have one right??

I was not a fan of the Lansky system, but they work beautifully for others.  :tu:

Completely agree on the sharpmaker.  Great results and very easy to use.  The lansky while good, is a fiddly precision angle tool that is way overkill for simple knives IMO.

I started out with the Lansky, and I did actually find it a good aid to understanding what I was doing (especially when for some reason it didn't do what I wanted) but once I got bored of that I moved to freehand. I don't get the worlds greatest edges, but I get them sharp enough to cut as I need them to

This, Love the Lansky system and I'm still trying freehand  :tu:
And the trick of colouring in the blade with a sharpy really helps  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 03:29:04 PM
I'd go with what's easy but teaches the proper angles for starters.  I'd say get some stones and have a go with freehand on beater knives and by all means use the sharpie to color the edge.  I'd also suggest fashioning a strop from an old piece of leather ( old belts work ) and some compound so you can put that "final" finish on the blade. 

I use Lansky and while I do like it you have to make sure to clamp the knife properly each time.  If knives will be tools you and the boys will use regularly then knowing how to sharpen will be a great lifetime skill.

Patience and having fun learning together will be reward then of course sharp safe blades is not a bad result.     
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 05:01:40 PM
I use lansky sharpening system, my friend owns the spyderco sharp maker but i thought it is too expensive, it cost 80 euro in europe and the lansky 25, i get the same sharpness as my friend and the rods are actually easier with blades that have a strange curve like zero tolerance knifes.
It also better to carry around because it is a small package and is basicly a fail proof desing that will last for years.

No messing around with different angles, always the same angle 20 or 25 and for the price you can get knifes hair shaving sharp, sharp enough for the average mt user.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:04:22 PM by anditsgone »

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 06:51:12 PM
I have the Lansky system, it was the first sharpener I bought.
For all my knives apart from my Wave it does a good job but it's fiddly and a faff. I have no idea why it doesn't get on with my Wave but I can't get the middle of the blade sharp with it.

I now do most of my sharpening on a cheap 4-sided diamond stone thing, cost about £10 and works well.
If I'm at work, I found a stone of some description that is incredibly good. I know nothing about it other than it lives in a rather out of the way cupboard with a load of random junk, no one knows anything about it and you can really quickly get a knife very sharp with it.

But yes, the Lansky taught me how to sharpen freehand, and now I do.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 07:14:05 PM
For all my knives apart from my Wave it does a good job but it's fiddly and a faff. I have no idea why it doesn't get on with my Wave but I can't get the middle of the blade sharp with it.

I now do most of my sharpening on a cheap 4-sided diamond stone thing, cost about £10 and works well.
If I'm at work, I found a stone of some description that is incredibly good. I know nothing about it other than it lives in a rather out of the way cupboard with a load of random junk, no one knows anything about it and you can really quickly get a knife very sharp with it.

Checking my Waves and all have some sort of "re curve" where the middle is ground higher than the tip and near the pivot.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 04:04:25 AM

Checking my Waves and all have some sort of "re curve" where the middle is ground higher than the tip and near the pivot.   
you can still use the lansky on a re-curve blade... the trick is to either use the stone made for serrations or to round the edge of the other stones with a diamond file then use just the rounded edge. I use the serration stone and it works fine just takes a bit longer as its a fine stone.

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 03:51:30 PM
Without question, the Sharpmaker!
NRA Life member

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 04:19:24 PM

you can still use the lansky on a re-curve blade... the trick is to either use the stone made for serrations or to round the edge of the other stones with a diamond file then use just the rounded edge. I use the serration stone and it works fine just takes a bit longer as its a fine stone.

Great tip  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 09:52:40 PM
I'm in a similar predicament.

I want something capable of delivering clean long lasting razor sharp edges  (or sharper), but without the laborious task of steadily and repetitiously dragging a blade across a stone for what seems like forever. Freehand can be a daunting task for anyone without lots of sharpening experience or rock steady hands with the finesse of a surgeon. I've tried my hand at freehand and  I simply don't have the time it takes or the skill to do it right; nor the money to replace blades I've turned into tooth picks trying to get them razor sharp.

I've tried the pull through sharpeners, and they're to imprecise for the edges I like and those vise type sharpeners (lansky style) can be picky with the type of blade shapes and sizes you want to sharpen. (like very curved blades or small blades like the blade on 58mm SAK's).

My current options are the Spyderco which I feel is simply overpriced for what you get. Similar style sharpeners can be had for less than half it's price plus toss in the extra stones and your looking at a system costing well over $100.

Something I'm looking at as of now it the Worksharp electric knife sharpener. It's similar to using a belt sander but smaller and with guides. Lots of knife guys on the Youtubes swear by it and especially if your a person with numerous knives who has a life to live and don't have the time to sharpen a collection of pocket and kitchen knives it might be a good option. One caveat is It'll remove material quick so less is more.

When I get the funds a Worksharp may be my next purchase. That or I'll go all out on one of those Apex Pro or Wicked Edge crazily overpriced sharpeners...Probably not, but I can dream.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 12:19:10 AM
I think I might bust out the Sharpmaker and sharpen a few knives tonight.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 12:29:09 AM
I'm the milk man!

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 01:25:02 AM
Anyone try this lansky ceramic rod system

http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Crock-Sharpener-LCD5D/dp/B000B8FW0E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427666947&sr=8-5&keywords=ceramic+rod+knife+sharpener

I have one that is similar that I got for free, but have not used it yet.

Maybe you could try it out side by side with the sharpmaker and give us your impressions.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 01:00:55 PM
I recently got this knife sharpener, hope that it will be help for you too.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 02:57:41 PM
I use a double sided whetstone, coarse and fine. As mentioned above, you just need time and patience and a steady hand. You shouldn't use much pressure, just glide the blade along the stone nice and gently removing as little material as possible. There's no need to put enough pressure on it to snap a blade. That's just silly :pok:
darren

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: April 25, 2015, 06:09:18 AM
I have been using the Sharpmaker for years it does a great job as long as you keep the ceramic sticks clean. Really dull knifes I start out with a stone. I bought a Worksharp field sharpener this thing has 20 degree guides, corse  and fine diamond stones, ceramic rod and leather strop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Work-Sharp-WSGFS221-Guided-Field-Knife-and-Tool-Sharpener-/380871362004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58adb3c5d4
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:12:38 AM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline 3F

Reply #48 on: April 25, 2015, 10:47:30 AM
Any and all of the above......I've tried 'em all.

What I recommend after figuring out which way(s) you like get and old sharpening steel and keep it close....makes resharpening a breeze!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 25, 2015, 12:50:51 PM
Here is a video of the Worksharp field sharpener.

Here is the first in a series of videos on knife sharping. It covers home angle guides.

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: April 26, 2015, 08:05:44 PM
I'm in a similar predicament.

I want something capable of delivering clean long lasting razor sharp edges  (or sharper), but without the laborious task of steadily and repetitiously dragging a blade across a stone for what seems like forever. Freehand can be a daunting task for anyone without lots of sharpening experience or rock steady hands with the finesse of a surgeon. I've tried my hand at freehand and  I simply don't have the time it takes or the skill to do it right; nor the money to replace blades I've turned into tooth picks trying to get them razor sharp.

I've tried the pull through sharpeners, and they're to imprecise for the edges I like and those vise type sharpeners (lansky style) can be picky with the type of blade shapes and sizes you want to sharpen. (like very curved blades or small blades like the blade on 58mm SAK's).

My current options are the Spyderco which I feel is simply overpriced for what you get. Similar style sharpeners can be had for less than half it's price plus toss in the extra stones and your looking at a system costing well over $100.

Something I'm looking at as of now it the Worksharp electric knife sharpener. It's similar to using a belt sander but smaller and with guides. Lots of knife guys on the Youtubes swear by it and especially if your a person with numerous knives who has a life to live and don't have the time to sharpen a collection of pocket and kitchen knives it might be a good option. One caveat is It'll remove material quick so less is more.

When I get the funds a Worksharp may be my next purchase. That or I'll go all out on one of those Apex Pro or Wicked Edge crazily overpriced sharpeners...Probably not, but I can dream.

I do own the Sharpmaker, Wicked Edge, Worksharp(both Ken Onion and the original), and my favorite go to is still the Sharpmaker for quick touch-up. 

Wicked Edge is a more sophisticated system(similar to Lansky but more stability and probably more accurate), but that kind of system do require a working knowledge on accurate blade placement and it does come with a pretty steep learning curve.

Sharpmaker is a lot more intuitive, and so as long you follow the video instruction closely(it's on youtube), you probably will start seeing pretty decent result in the first 5-10 min.

Worksharp is an excellent tool for removing a great amount of metal, I find it excellent for sharpening an axe.  Unless reprofiling is needed, I find the fast speed might remove too much material for just a mere regular touch up.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: April 30, 2015, 06:12:21 PM
Just touched up my BO Wave finished with a white and green stropping.  Still needs some work to get a mirror polish but it's razor sharp which is most important.
IMG_7641.jpg
* IMG_7641.jpg (Filesize: 169.04 KB)
IMG_7644.jpg
* IMG_7644.jpg (Filesize: 162.3 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99