Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone get a Leap yet?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Anyone get a Leap yet?
on: January 14, 2015, 06:15:09 AM
Hi all...

I just discovered the Leap; LM's MT aimed at younger users. It looks cool enough I've been thinking about getting one for myself! Anyone have one yet who could share their impressions of it?
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Anyone get a Leap yet?
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:27:43 AM
There is a really good review on it already. Let me see if I can get a link.

Also, check for the recall.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 06:29:56 AM
The Leap was released then recalled and re-released already. Chako did a nice review. Glad to see you around buddy.   :tu:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=54670.0

EDIT: NKlamerus beat me to it.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 06:54:10 AM
and if you're interested, here's some insight as to why it was recalled in the first place:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55864.msg984635.html#msg984635

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 11:58:48 AM
i got one for my daughter, she likes it though it hasn't seen any seriously heavy use yet.

my impressions of it - i like it, the tools were a little stiff to open initially but after a couple days they open nicely, tbh i prefer it that way rather then loose. beyond that i think the earlier reviews cover it better then i can.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 12:31:03 PM
I believe I have 3 newer ones on tap.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 01:05:47 PM
The Leap was released then recalled and re-released already. Chako did a nice review. Glad to see you around buddy.   :tu:

Funny you should mention that as I just saw it back on the Knifecenter website

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 05:46:59 PM

you do. ;) sorry it's taken me so long to get to the post office. :facepalm:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 06:02:25 PM

It's all my fault (not Kirky's  :o )  It's probably my recent bulk purchases are somewhat overloading Matt's processing capacity (well ..... that and the fact he has been very over-worked at his paid employment recently)   :pok:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 07:02:34 PM

It's all my fault (not Kirky's  :o )  It's probably my recent bulk purchases are somewhat overloading Matt's processing capacity (well ..... that and the fact he has been very over-worked at his paid employment recently)   :pok:

it's mostly due to the latter, but Greg's recent bulk purchases certainly aren't helping. :twak:

my home office is currently a disaster... boxes, MTs, and mod parts everywhere... :ahhh

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:49:13 PM
Take your time. I am in no hurry.  :tu:

Just very thankful someone is willing to help get some Leathermans past the northern border.  :salute:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 11:25:58 PM

Thank you for not blaming me :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 11:59:51 AM
whats the deal with not been able to buy LM stuff in canada ? is it that it is really expensive there v the US (like europe) or what ?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 01:05:15 PM
From what I can see, no actual official Leatherman Distributor/Importer. I can buy a few models at most big box stores, but that only runs to a model or two if you are lucky. Anything else, you just can't find up here. I didn't care as in the past, American stores were more than willing to sell to a Canadian online. However, that all changed a few years back when US stores were not allowed to sell to Canadians anymore...which was a rather dirty thing that Leatherman did, as that effectively blocked out folks like myself from collecting their new gear. About this time, folks who used eBay's stupid foreign shipping program that effectively makes you pay duty on non duty items, etc, blocked the sale of MTs to Canada arbitrarily, reducing the sale of multi-tools further, blocking off another venue open to me. Mind you, those sellers who do not jump into that crappy program can sell to Northern neighbours...but it is a pain.

For example, I would love to buy a bladeless Gerber...but the only seller on eBay that might sell one to me, is on the program. Thus I can only look at the darn thing and not bite as I know he wouldn't be able to sell to me in the first place due to stupid eBay restrictions that make no sense. I also figure if the seller is dumb enough to jump on that program, he/she isn't worth my time in trying to talk him/her out of the program to make a sale to me.

Yeah, the hidden fun and joy of collecting. :D

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 04:26:26 PM
thats crazy ! we pay through the nose here but at least we can get stuff, and I've never heard of ebays foreign shipping program so i guess not affected by it here either.

ca Offline lxbatty

Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 06:21:08 PM
From what I can see, no actual official Leatherman Distributor/Importer. I can buy a few models at most big box stores, but that only runs to a model or two if you are lucky. Anything else, you just can't find up here. I didn't care as in the past, American stores were more than willing to sell to a Canadian online. However, that all changed a few years back when US stores were not allowed to sell to Canadians anymore...which was a rather dirty thing that Leatherman did, as that effectively blocked out folks like myself from collecting their new gear. About this time, folks who used eBay's stupid foreign shipping program that effectively makes you pay duty on non duty items, etc, blocked the sale of MTs to Canada arbitrarily, reducing the sale of multi-tools further, blocking off another venue open to me. Mind you, those sellers who do not jump into that crappy program can sell to Northern neighbours...but it is a pain.

For example, I would love to buy a bladeless Gerber...but the only seller on eBay that might sell one to me, is on the program. Thus I can only look at the darn thing and not bite as I know he wouldn't be able to sell to me in the first place due to stupid eBay restrictions that make no sense. I also figure if the seller is dumb enough to jump on that program, he/she isn't worth my time in trying to talk him/her out of the program to make a sale to me.

I plan to get a Leap for my Son's birthday this spring. MEC sells them, and with one small other item, it'll qualify for free shipping in Canada.

I interacted with Leatherman on Twitter, and they themselves are going to be shipping direct to Canada in 2015. Quote: "We're making it a priority in the first quarter of 2015: we hope to have it set up shortly after that!"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 11:49:12 PM
That statement just made my year.  :cheers:

<--- does a dance.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 12:06:51 AM

oh man... That sucks.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 12:07:37 AM

I plan to get a Leap for my Son's birthday this spring. MEC sells them, and with one small other item, it'll qualify for free shipping in Canada.

I interacted with Leatherman on Twitter, and they themselves are going to be shipping direct to Canada in 2015. Quote: "We're making it a priority in the first quarter of 2015: we hope to have it set up shortly after that!"
yay for the Canadians!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 12:25:25 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I'm going to look into getting one for my son. I'm hoping to do a long backpacking trip this summer with him if I can get the details worked out, and it looks like it'd be a good tool for that.

Hey Cap! I'm still around, though 9-5ing in downtown SF and the commute sucks up a lot of my time. Add my need for biking and I don't have a lot of time during the week. Send me a PM if you're still in my neck o the woods and maybe we can meet up for a brew.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 12:29:02 AM
That statement just made my year.  :cheers:

<--- does a dance.

<--- also does a dance! :D

:cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 12:31:33 AM
Hey!  :twak:

:rofl:

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 01:36:38 AM
Hey!  :twak:

:rofl:

haven't you ever heard the saying "Don't bite the hand that feeds you twak the guy who ships your packages North"?? :twak:

:rofl: :rofl:

ca Offline lxbatty

Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 06:37:54 PM
My sister gave her son a Leap recently, and when they were attempting to install the blade...
IMG_5530.jpeg
* IMG_5530.jpeg (Filesize: 43.08 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 06:41:24 PM
I hope that isn't the usual.  :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 06:52:09 PM
I think that's the first time we've seen that.:(  I'm sure LM will see you right though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 07:06:25 PM
Not good, not good at all. :-\ And I'm guessing we'll be seeing a few of those in the future dame as with Style/PS4 scissors. Which reminds me.... :facepalm:

ca Offline lxbatty

Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 07:15:58 PM
I think that's the first time we've seen that.:(  I'm sure LM will see you right though.

I have no doubt LM will make it right, but I don't envy my sister having to take an exciting new gift to her child away from him for a few weeks while it gets fixed up though.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 07:19:54 PM
Not good, not good at all. :-\ And I'm guessing we'll be seeing a few of those in the future dame as with Style/PS4 scissors. Which reminds me.... :facepalm:

For sure. I think a few for us have been waiting for the first broken tang pics.  ::) Just be glad it broke so early and your nephew wasn't using it when this happened.

Was this one of the newer "re-released" models too, where they had supposedly "fixed" the knife problem?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD