Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weapons centric multi-tools.

Chako · 65 · 9987

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Weapons centric multi-tools.
on: January 15, 2015, 12:51:49 PM
Thinking of spending a good part of today gathering all the various weapon centric multi-tools that I have, take their photograph, and write a little about each...seeing that I have taken the day off from work, and feel generally miserable as in I can't sleep this headache off anyways kinda thing. Might take my mind off of things. So I guess this is a warning I guess.

So come visit later and I should have some tools to look at posted in here.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Weapons centric multi-tools.
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 01:18:26 PM
I'm terrified :popcorn:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 01:19:28 PM
That makes two of us.  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 03:12:25 PM
Well as most of you know by now, I tend to have a thing for firearms. I have owned BB and pellet rifles since I was a kid, and it was always my intention to get into the real stuff, but I always thought getting into it was more hassle then it was worth. Besides, my interest never laid with hunting, but mostly with target practice. I sated that need in the early 90s by going into archery. However, for the past few years, the yearning to get into target practice with real firearms got stronger. I am currently waiting for my PAL with restricted attached. Yeah, I can't wait to get them in the mail...the join a gun club and start practicing and hopefully someday, get into some local competitions. That is my long term goal. Now this does not reflect upon this thread, except as background fluff in understanding why I have a thing for weapon centric multi-tools. This thread will be a somewhat long winded dissertation on the various pieces that I have currently in my collection, and hopefully, some good discussions on them.

Of course, this opening remark will also tell you that I currently have little to no real world experience with firearm multi-tools in the field in regards to their specific weapons focused utility . However, I do have some multi-tool experience. Either way, I will attempt to be fair, honest, and just in my observations of said items. Like I say, if nothing else, the photos should tell you the story.

With that out of the way, let me start by stating that many multi-tools, be they military, or civilian, tend to focus on the AR platform. I have heard that the AR platform of rifles equates to the Barbie doll in its variety of accessories. Several folks have told me this, least of all those in my local gun shop. I have done some research while I wait for my gun licence to grace my door, and I will have to admit, this is indeed the fact. Looks like you can take an AR rifle and customize it like there is no tomorrow. With that in mind, there should be no surprise that there are plenty of AR platform multi-tools out there. I have a fair number of them, and I am most certain that I do not have them all. It does get a bit mind boggling at times.

Some of these multi-tools have added cleaning functionality, in that they are either designed to work on their own, or would pair nicely with an OTIS or other gun cleaning kit. Now I will be the first to admit I hadn't heard of OTIS until I was doing my usual eBay cruise for multi-tools when I came across a very nice OTIS kit paired with a BO Gerber. At the time, I didn't care much for the kit, but thought it would be a nice addition to my collection, as it came with a BO Gerber. I will say, I was so impressed with the OTIS cleaning system, that it has spurred me into focusing somewhat into military and weapon style multi-tools.

The OTIS kit I went for was the IWCK (Improved Weapons Cleaning Kit). This is clearly aimed at the military, as it is designed to clean and maintain all 5.56MM, 7.62MM, 9MM and .45 cal. weapons. It is a fairly large but comprehensive kit.

The kit comes with a few compartments. Front pouches hold a standard issue military BO Gerber, and a rod system.

Mind you, I can see that my assistant are already helping. I can't say I mind, as I do feel rather rotten today. They do cheer me up.

Here you can see the size of the OTIS IWCK kit compared to two adult cats. Yes, my assistants are always ready to lend a paw.

Anyways, the OTIS kits come in different sizes and bore/calibers. This is a fairly large and comprehensive kit. You get plenty of things to help clean firearms. Here you see some empty bottles that will allow you to add the cleaner of your choice, the wire bore cleaners, among other things.

Inside this kit is an attached double sided foam insert with lots of OTIS system attachments. These are screwed into the rod or flexible metal wire. This system give you plenty of choice.

On the other inside pouch, you get an optics cleaning kit, some patches, and other miscellaneous stuff.

Now as I have mentioned, this OTIS kit does come with a military issue BO Gerber. However, and this I have always wondered about, that Gerber isn't really designed to work closely with the OTIS cleaning kit. I guess one doesn't need to use it as part of the cleaning, but it would have been nice to have it work in partnership with the cleaning system. Thus, the Gerber that comes with this kit does not feature any way of attaching the 8/32 threaded attachments, or wire/rods to it. Still a very nice cleaning kit. Very feature rich.

I came across this smaller kit which a UK MT.O member sold to me a few years back. This one is smaller, but still features the OTIS cleaning system, and the big attractant for me, the BO Gerber multi-tool, and an Ontario Rescue Tool. All of this in a very small easy to carry package.

Here is the Ontario Knife Company A.S.E.K that slides in its own sleep on the back of the pouch.

Inside the pouch are two compartments. The upper compartment holds a sheath with the cleaning kit inside, and the lower compartment holds another military BO Gerber.

The cleaning kit is comprehensive in that it has all that you need for a specific caliber. There is even an optics cleaning kit included.

Both above kits use the 8/32 threading which appears to be an industry standard. I recently bought another kit in anticipation of using it when I get my licence and am able to buy firearms. This kit also features 8/32 threading...making most cleaning kits out there universally compatible.

The only issue I see with multi-tools that feature this type of threading, is male/female orientation. Some feature male threading, and others female. I will let you know what is what in future submissions.

:salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 03:59:56 PM
Now that I have the cleaning systems out of the way, time to start looking at the multi-tools.

I think I will run with Gerber first simply because my most recent addition is the MP1 AR.

Gerber MP1 AR Weapons.

The Gerber MP1 AR is based on the Gerber MP1, which Gerber is selling as a top end multi-tool. The AR version is an MP1 modified to work with the AR system platform. The MP1 does have an unofficial sister called the MP1 MOE, but at the time of this writing, I couldn't find one anywhere, and it does not appear on Gerber's official website.

The MP1 features a neat bit driver storage carrier.

Taking a closer look, you can see a variety of Hex, torx, flat and Phillips driver bits. Of interest is the female 8/32 threaded pin dissasembly punch, and a 4/5 prong sight adjustment bit. Included on the bottom are two longer bits for extra reach.

Here is the MP1 AR opened. Note that the pliers are spring loaded and include anvil type cutters. Now is the time to mention that the plastic used in the MP1 AR feels cheaper than the G-10 used on the MP1. Not sure why they saw the need to change the handle materials. On the plus side, there is enough dimples on the handles to aid in grip...just not as good as that of textured G-10 in my opinion.

Several changes were made to the MP1 for the AR platform. They include the removal of the utility blade for um...er...not sure what it is for. The tool is not even mentioned on Gerber's official web site...or at least as far as I can tell. Possible uses are a small carbon scrapper. The tool is located just bellow the dental pick style carbon scraper on the right hand side (90 degree bend). On the left side, you also get a carbon scrapper that looks like a large awl. Included are the magnetic bit driver, and a PE and serrated knife blades. The bit driver is somewhat problematic in design, as it has a bend away from the center line of the tool. It makes using the driver a bit of a pain in the butt as you have to constantly shift the tool around to center your driver. I suppose this is a minor niggle in the grander scheme of things. I mean, that bend does allow you to get a nice length on the driver...so like everything involving multi-tools, there are compromises to be made.

A closer look at the handles. The MP1 AR only an understated Gerber logo on one side of the handles. The sliding locking mechanism is a good one with plenty of finger purchase for leverage. Also, the MP1 AR has taken the tactical to another level from the standard MP1 by blacking out all the folding tools, and metal handle sub-assembly. The locks and pliers however are still in stainless finish.

A side look of the MP1 AR showing the dental style carbon pick, and how it fits flush with the body.

Now onto the cleaning system mating of this tool. The MP1 AR comes with two 8/32 threaded tools, the dental carbon pick, and the pin dis-assembly pin. Both pieces are female threaded, with the male threaded part attached to the MP1 AR. This will allow you to attach a rod or wire snake to the tool and use it in conjunction with a cleaning kit as a handle if needed. This will not however allow you to attach any of the various OTIS kit implements directly as those are male threaded.

Summary:

Pros:
- Pliers are forged and beautifully well made and assembled.
- Good functionality for AR weapon platforms.
- Locking mechanisms are large and positive.
- Sheath and included driver bit carrier and assortment are excellent.

Cons:
- Handle material does not feel like it should come on a 100 dollar plus high end tool.
- Use of male threading on tool a bit of a let down if you wanted to use OTIS type bits directly.
- Inclusion of a mystery tool not even mentioned on Gerber's website. Is it a scrapper, a dis-assembly poky thingy. Your guess is as good as mine.
- Added bend to screw driver makes using it a bit of a pita compared to a more center mass straight designed driver. I guess I can't bash them much on this, as it is bulky and where else could they have done it?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 05:12:46 PM
First, what are your assistants names? My Lady always asks (she thinks I'm on a cat-lovers page :P).

Love the look of the MP1 AR (the whole MP1 family actually). Just noticed that one of the blades has a golden edge... Is that to slay some mystical creatures or what :think:. Also does the bit driver lock at 90° or only when fully unfolded?

:cheers: thanks for those excellent photos :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 05:16:52 PM
The black and white long hair is Annie, and the Gray is Gracy. The driver unfortunately does not lock in the 90 degree position. As for the gold edge...that is probably a lighting reflection. I am using a somewhat warm lamp in my bedroom.  :salute:

Gerber Multi-Plier 600-ST (Sight Tool).

Here is a Gerber MP600 that has some sight adjusting functionality for the AR crowd.

The MP 600 and the MP 400 are very popular Gerber designs that feature sliding head pliers. Their flickyness make them perfect for folks who have ADHD, or just enjoy to fiddle with their gear. The MP 600 ST has a few special features that makes it a bit different from the standard MP 600 crowd.

The MP 600 ST has a 4 prong adjustment tool that slides over a magnetic base. I feel that the front sight adjustment bit easily comes off. I would imagine this might be an issue while using it. The MP 600 ST also comes with a longer Phillips driver, and a carbon scraper. Unfortunately, there are no 8/32 male or female threads, so use of a cleaning kit with this tool is limited to the carbon scraper included with the multi-tool.

Thus, the MP 600 ST offers limited functionality. What it does offer is a proven MP 600 chassis, with some additional AR specific tools to sweeten the pot. At least these are more weapon focused than the bog standard BO MP 600 that comes with the OTIS cleaning kits.

Summary:

Pro:
- Based on the time tested and proven MP 600.
- Extra long Phillips driver.
- Front sight adjustment bit is replaceable if damaged.

Cons:
- Front sight adjustment bit disengages with little pressure from the magnet.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:19:33 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 05:38:03 PM
Gerber MP 600 DET.

Another variation of the ever popular MP 600 platform, the MP 600 DET is a specialized tool for combat engineers or um...folks that like to blow stuff up.

This tool's appearance is overpowered by the C4 spike that comes with this tool. There is no room inside the body for it, so Gerber has it piggy backing somewhat in the middle and outside of the tool. The C4 spike makes the MP 600 DET an easy tool to identify. However, there are fakes out there. Happily enough, they are easy to ID once you know what to look for.

An original Gerber DET is sitting above a fake DET. Note that the USA is painted on the fake. Not only that, the fake is only painted black and not BO like the original. Once opened, the fake does not have an interchangeable saw like the real Gerber DET either. The Gerber DET is a fairly expensive tool, and if you see one for cheap online, just beware. As far as a fake goes, it is an interesting bit of a conversation starter...but it is nowhere near the quality of the Gerber.

Here is the real DET showing the interchangeable REMGrit saw. As far as specialization, the Gerber DET gives you that C4 spike for setting detonators into your plastic explosive, a blasting cap crimper integrated needle nose pliers, and the REMGrit saw for cutting through most anything that the blade can tackle.

A closer look at that blasting cap crimper.

The C4 spike.

Summary:

Pro:
- MP 600 proven platform.
- C4 spike can be used for all sorts of other purposes than poking holes into plastic explosives.
- REMGrit saw is great, or you can install something else as it uses universal jigsaw blades.
- Cap crimper pliers...but I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet...or the C4 spike for its intended use for that matter.

Con:
- I don't have any C4 to try this bad boy out....in hindsight, that is probably a good thing.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:53:27 PM
Gerber eFECT Military Maintenance Tool.

Now here is a somewhat oddball tool. I understand there is now an eFECT II out there, which I do not have currently. I bought this because I was curious to see what the eFECT was all about. My opinions on this tool are mixed.

This is not a plier based tool, and thus is fairly light and compact. The Effect features 6 different tools that fold in a nice small package. Both ends have a sliding lock tab, thus all the tools lock in position.

This one is purely aimed at maintaining firearms in the field. The eFECT features a 4 and 5 prong front adjustment sight tool, a pair of scrapers (which answered my question on the MP 1 AR - I had to look at Gerber's eFECt webpage - now I know what the MP1 AR mystery tool is), a punch, and a pair of removable tools, a nylon brush, and a dental style carbon pick.

Here you can see both of the removable tools. This tool gets it right, with the main tool featuring a female 8/32 thread. This will allow various OTIS tools, and other cleaning kit parts, to fit this tool nicely.

Here is the 4 and 5 prong front sight adjustment tool. I will say, there is a bit too much play when you flip the sight to use the 5 prongs, as the base was designed to accommodate the 5 prongs better.

Summary:

Pro:
- Light and easy to carry.
- Lots of nice features to maintain and clean your weapon.
- 8/32 threading is great if you want to attach OTIS and gun cleaning male threaded parts onto the tool.
- easy to wear pieces are also easily replaceable.

Con:
- Some play when you flip the sight adjustment tool over to use the 5 prongs.
- No pliers.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 06:10:02 PM
Gerber MP 650 Evolution Military Tech Kit.

The MP 650 Evolution is a bit of an odd duck in the multi-tool design category. Gerber came out with an interchangeable head multi-tool, but at the cost of portability. The main draw of the MP 650 Evolution is the easily replaceable plier heads. If you messed up your jaws, you could buy another one. Likewise, if you wanted to add some plier functionality, you could replace your current plier head with a different one. This long discontinued multi-tool is one of my favorites for its uniqueness. However, there did come a cost, and that was the MP 650 couldn't fold upon itself. That was the big compromise. The tool wasn't as portable, and because of this, I am sure it cost sales. I don't think the MP 650 Evolution was overly popular.

Gerber did see fit to come out with a military version however. The military version features a beautiful overly large belt pouch (can't call this big thing a sheath) that featured several individual compartments for all the different heads that the kit came with. The military kit came with the spring loaded version of the multi-tool. The civilian version did not include the springs, which were nothing more than simple spring steel inserts riveted to the inside of the handles. The military kit came with the wire cutter head, the blunt nose, the fishing style needle nose with interchangeable carbon cutters, and the DET plier head. The civilian version came with the most popular needle nose or blunt nosed plier heads. For a time, you could buy different heads, but once again, I know a few of them are very rare, and as of this time, I am uncertain if you could buy the DET head or it only came with the military kit.

In the following photo, you will note there are 5 different plier heads, two different versions of the multi-tool, and the largish military kit pouch. It is also interesting to note that the kit only came in stainless steel finish.

I add this here because of the cap crimper plier head which turns the MP 650 Evolution into a somewhat specialized weapon centric multi-tool.

Summary:

Pro:
- Interesting concept of having different plier head functionality.
- Mp 600 platform.

Cons:
- This came at the cost of portability.
- Military folks like their tools blacked out so it doesn't draw fire onto them.
- Adding and removing plier heads can be a bit tricky and finicky at times.

Here is the only still existing link I know on the net about this kit...
http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-650-Evolution-tech-kit-22-01107.htm
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:13:16 PM by Chako »

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 06:19:19 PM
Good thread, Chako.

Do all OTIS kits come with the same version Gerber MP600 multitool?  If so, which version MP600 is it?

The OTIS kit photos on eBay always show the MP600 closed, hiding the internal tools from view.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 06:27:30 PM
parnass, it is your bog standard US military issued BO MP 600...unless they have changed the version on newer OTIS kits. Both of mine feature non replaceable cutter needle nose plier heads.

Gerber Myth Shotgun Tool.

Gerber has several product lines, probably the most infamous being that of Bear Grylls. However, there is a line aimed squarely at hunters, and that is the Myth product line. Inside that line, which features many different knives are a pair of hunting multi-tools, one aimed at shot-gunners, and the other at the archer.

Here we see a comparison photo of the Myth Shotgun Tool above, and the Myth Archery tool Below. Please note that the Myth series has a specific colour scheme and rubber/plastic texture...much like the BG survival lineup.

The Shotgun tool is rather boxy, and it is a shape that makes it very comfortable to use. The tool features a choke wrench for 10 to 28 gauge, and the .410. Included in this tool is a non-detachable firearms dis-assembly pin, a saw, a plain edge (PE) knife, and a small 12" tape measure located on the butt end of the tool.

A closer look at that choke wrench.

My biggest issue with this tool is the poorly designed locking mechanism. The tab is hard to grip and move.

Here is the somewhat hidden 12" tape measure.

Summary:

Pro:
- I like the colour scheme and the grippyness of the materials used.
- The choke wrench only comes out at 90 degrees and then locks in place. This gives you plenty of torque on tap if needed.

Cons:
- dis-assembly pin not detachable.
- Locking mechanism is a real pita to use as it tend to slip from under your fingers, and is stiff.
- Little integrated 12" ruler feels fragile.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:29:09 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 06:40:59 PM
Gerber Myth Archery Tool.

Part of the Gerber Myth series, this one is focused straight on the archery folks, and because of this, has an interesting and different appearance. What makes this tool very easily identifiable is the adjustable wrench, making this a bit of a rarity in the multi-tool world as far as having an adjustable wrench as the main focus of the tool.

Other than the adjustable wrench, you get 7 different hex keys, a flat and Phillips driver, and a broadhead wrench on the tools spine.

Here is a close up of that broadhead wrench.

As far as functionality, the Myth Archery tool is an ok design. I have plenty of archery gear, and the first thing I did was to try this out on one of my compounds. The Hex keys are a must as every fastener on a bow is governed by them. Rare is the Phillips, and rarer still the flathead driver, even though both are included on this tool. The broadhead wrench works ok, although you do have to hold the tool with caution as you use it. I much prefer some of the other designs out there, but this is functional. The adjustable wrench is a tool that comes in handy...except for the lack of teeth on the jaws. I know someone didn't want something chewed up, but I found the jaws slipped around some of the old sight pins, and I think the inclusion of some micro teeth would have benefited this tool.

Summary:

Pro:
- A nice core set of functions for the archer.
- Outer hex keys are easy to pop up with use of a small lever.
- Like the colour scheme and texture of the tool.

Con:
- No grip on those adjustable wrench jaws.
- Lower hex keys are hard to get dig out of the tool.
- Broadhead wrench is located mostly in the middle of the tool, thereby placing your hands a little to close for comfort no mater where you hold onto the tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 06:45:51 PM
I think that might conclude the Gerber gear, which means I get to expand this outwards...but later. Break time. :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 07:52:14 PM
Real Avid Gun Tool.

Another plierless multi-tool much like the Gerber eFECT, but that is about as much overlap shared among these two tools, meet the Real Avid Gun Tool. The Gun Tool comes in several different configurations. The standard Gun Tool comes in original black and silver or Duck Commander colours. There is also a red and black Ruger version with slightly different tool setup.

Duck Commander on top, black and silver on the bottom. Sandwiched between them is the Ruger edition in red and black.

The Duck Commander and original version have the following specs:

420 SS claw-point blade
» Pin punch
» Choke wrench: 10 ga; 12 ga; 16 ga; 20 ga; 28 ga; .410
» Scope windage/elevation blade
» Torx drive: T20; T15; T10
» Allen Hex drive: 3/32"; 5/32"
» Magnetic 3/16" driver
» Screwdrivers: 1/8" flat; 3/16" flat; Phillips 1 & 2
» Magnetic bit storage block with access door
» 420 stainless steel frame with Rubber grip- coated polymer jackets

The Ruger has the following differences:
» Ruger® scope ring tool
» Bedding blade fits M77 bedding and trigger guard screws
» Universal choke tube wrench fits 28, 20, 16, 12, 10 ga.
» 2 Torx® wrenches: T10, T15
» 2 Allen® wrenches: 3/16", 5/64"

Summary:

Pro:
- Solid build overall.
- Nice assortment of tools.

Cons:
- Driver bit storage cover is a bit flimsy.
- No positive stops on the Hex and Allen wrenches.
- Non-removable dis-assembly pin.
- No 8/32 threading for cleaning kit additions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:55:48 PM by Chako »

us Offline Small Shiny Objects

Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 03:42:52 AM
Good post, I enjoyed it, thanks.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 04:04:31 AM
You are welcome. Plenty more to put in here when I can.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 04:09:01 AM
Some of the new OTIS kits have the Sight Tool instead of the regular BO MP600. I got an entire kit for about $5 more than what the tool by itself would've been on Amazon.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 05:49:35 AM
Chaco,

Interesting thread. Do you know of a small range tool that includes a variety of metric screwdrivers for use on European handguns?

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 07:38:01 AM
Great thread as always chako!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 12:57:00 PM
I might suggest a Multitasker Ultralight...but it looks like those got discontinued.  :think:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 02:56:04 PM
Real Avid Bowsmith.

I first came across this tool while looking for an archery specific mulit-tool online. I liked the design so much that I ordered 2 site unseen. I have EDC'ed one with my archery kit, and I can tell you, this tool rocks. It rocks in ways very few archery tools do, especially in maintaining your arrows...which is always a concern for archers.

If you are lucky to get any of Real Avid's gear with a sheath...to me, these things are just built right. The feel and exude quality...and after carrying mine for some time now, I can attest to this.

My two copies have Apple Archery labels on them...which is a very attractive label come to think about it.

Opening the magnetic clasp, you are greeted with 2 compartments. The front compartment fits the added driver bits in a black plastic carrier. The included bits are double ended which gives you a nice selection. The larger rear compartment holds a plastic tube and the tool itself. Inside the plastic tube is a brass wire brush, and an insert extractor tool. The tool itself is well made, solid, and all metal.

Here is a closer look at the various odds and ends that are included with this tool.

SPECS
» Needle-nose pliers with wire/string cutters, nock spreader, nock crimper and string loop setter
» Broadhead sharpener, fletching stripper
» Broadhead wrench and peep sight string spreader
» Tree step starter
» 2 1/4" knife blade
» Threaded receiver with insert extractor tool
» Shaft cleaning brush for nock prep
» 14 hex bits & 1⁄4" hex driver

Yes, I do love this tool. It hits all the right sweet spots for an archer, especially the bevy of tools that helps in arrow maintenance. This one tool can almost do away with a large tackle box of gear. You would still have to carry a bag of nocks, some fletching, fletching glue, and a bow square...but the rest is mostly in this tool.

Summary:

Pro:
- Very well made.
- Quality sheath.
- Has almost everything an archer might need in the field.

Cons:
- If anything, the sheath is on the large side for belt carry.
- The threaded parts are not 8/32" compatible.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:37:59 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 03:11:13 PM
Real Avid Multi-Cutter.

This is a somewhat generalized tool, and I think it sort of misses the mark in some regards, especially for birders. With that said, it still is a very capable multi-tool. I say it misses the mark for birders as it lacks a gut hook to aid in cleaning. I have other similar type tools from other manufactures which I will get to later that does have that Hook. I just found it interesting that they missed adding that feature to this tool. This doesn't mean it wouldn't act as a great companion to a bird hunter however.

Once again, the Multi-Cutter comes with a beautiful and very well made sheath. Real Avid really does place itself somewhat above the rest in their nylon sheath quality I must say.

SPECS
» Rubber grip handle
» Stainless steel cutting shears w/ 1/2" cutting notch and shears lock
» Brush/limb saw
» 3" 440 drop point knife
» 440 claw point knife
» Universal choke wrench
» Tree step starter
» Pin punch

Now, there is a bone notch on the main shears designed to aid in the cutting of the wing bones. No plucker, but one could use the saw in a pinch. Has the choke tube wrench and pin punch. That claw point knife would work great for field dressing, that tree step starter could be used as a carbon scraper as well. So, the Real Avid Multi-Cutter isn't billed as a birding multi-tool, or a hunting multi-tool. What it can do is be a generalist, not being fantastic at any one task, but flexible enough to be very helpful when you need it.

The tool has "True to the Core" laser etched on the shears.

Summary:

Pro:
- Good size and construction.
- One of the best locking mechanisms of any shear type multi-tool I have seen yet.
- Sheath quality is up there with the best.
- Flexible tool that should help any hunters in general, including those that bird hunt.
- choke wrench has detentes at 90 and 180 degrees.

Cons:
- No locking tools except for the main shears.
- No 8/32 threading for compatibility with cleaning kits.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:21:30 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 03:20:57 PM
Real Avid Turkey Tool.

Now here is a fascinating tool that make me really look at Real Avid as a company that puts a lot of thought into their products. The Turkey Tool is aimed squarely at the birding and Turkey hunting crowd...and boy, what a fantastically designed tool.

That sheath is the star of the show in some ways. It turns into a bird carrier. Just un-Velcro the sides, and nested inside is a noose that you can wrap around the necks of your avian catch. The inside is also blaze orange, so other hunters don't mistakenly shoot your catch off your hip. That Velcro also will attract assistant cats, as Annie had to ask me what that sound was all about.

The back of the Turkey Tool is rather classy with some nice artwork on the soft rubber backside. Note the extra large birding hook. Think Victorinox hook on steroids. Perfect for hauling things around.

The Turkey tool also features a rarity in the multi-tool world, and actual folding 12" ruler. Also included is a nice PE blade, a pin punch, saw, and choke wrench.

Summary:

Pro:
- Sheath is top quality, and it transforms...that makes it a multi-functioning sheath. Cool concept
- Great 12" folding ruler.
- Back hook perfect for hauling things around.

Cons:
- Pin punch not detachable.
- No interplay with various OTIS or cleaning kit bits...thus lacks an 8/32 thread.

Seeing that I do not see this tool on Real Avid's official website, I can only assume this is now discontinued. A pity that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:23:12 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 03:37:12 PM
Real Avid Gun Tool Pro.

I like the Real Avid Gun Tool. It offers a lot of functionality in a small package. Real Avid updated the concept with the Pro version which is more capable, and a tad larger as well.

The Gun Tool Pro comes in several different versions. There is the Pro version which this is about, then there is an updated version which replaces the magnetic parts carrier with an LED flashlight, and that version is called the Gun Tool Pro-X. Then there is a specialized version for the AR weapons platform.

Here are a few photos comparing the original Gun Tool with the Pro version.

In this following photo, you can tell that the Pro driver bits are longer, and also shown is the small magnetized parts container which can be replaced with an LED flashlight or bought outright as the Pro-X version.

The Gun Tool Pro is built a little larger, and weights quite a bit more than the original Gun Tool. On one side of the body is a hammer, which can be seen in the following photo. Opposite that, is a 1/4" driver above the 1/4" driver found on the front of the tool.

The Pro version upgrades not only the driver bits, but also the door mechanism as well. I found the Pro version to have a smoother and less harsh closing mechanism. Above all of that, there are 4 main tools which all feature liner locks. The pin punch is separate and interchangeable, and fits the 1/4" driver.

SPECS
» Removable magnetic storage compartment
» 14 firearm-specific Torx®, Allen®, Phillips® and flat drivers/bits
» 2.5'' raptor claw point knife blade
» Choke wrench fits 6 gauges: .410-10
» 1/4'' bit driver
» 1/4'' bit wrench for extra torque
» Scope turret tool
» Two metal files
» Lanyard loop
» Tap hammer
» Pin punch

Summary:

Pro:
- Has a nice weight and quality of construction.
- Beefed up driver bits and storage door mechanism.
- Replaceable pin punch.
- 2 locations for 1/4" drivers.
- That hooked blade is great at opening packages.

Cons:
- No sheath included. They do sell one separately. This is also an issue with the original Gun Tool.
- Small magnetized compartment seems gimmicky. The door is light plastic and I can see this breaking with use. An LED addition found on the Pro-X version or bought separately might be a better use of this space.
- No 8/32" threading, so no additional cleaning bits for this tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 03:48:07 PM
Real Avid Gun Tool Pro AR15.

This is the AR15 specific version of the Gun Tool Pro. It comes with a beautiful sheath. The sheath has a small side pocket with a Velcro closure that holds the front sight Post adjustment tool. This tool is a bit different in that it is a separate tool not designed to be worked with the mail multi-tool...as fare as I can figure out. It is double ended and feature both a 4 and 5 prong end.

Here, we see the back of the sheath, the individual sight post adjustment tool, and the Pro AR15 multi-tool.

SPECS
» Carrier scraper
» 9 function bolt/firing pin/cam pin scraper
» Cotter pin puller
» Bolt override tool
» A1 & A2 front site adjuster
» Pin punch » 8-32 female threaded post
» 2.5'' raptor claw point knife blade
» 1/4'' bit driver
» 1/4'' bit wrench for extra torque
» 11 firearm-specific Torx®, Allen®, Phillips® and flat driver bits
» Tap hammer
» Metal file
» Removable, magnetic storage compartment

Yes, there is an 8-32 female threaded post found on this tool, and it is found on a long post at that. This gives you great reach in using any OTIS or compatible cleaning bits. Included are several weird to me carbon scrapers that have multi purposes. Included is a bolt override tool for aiding in jams.

Here are a few comparison photos between the Gun Tool Pro, and the Gun Tool Pro AR15.

Summary:

Pro:
- This is one well thought out tool.
- 9 function carbon scraper. I haven't used it, but most tools only give you 1 or 2...this one gives you 9 in one.
- 8/32" female threaded post. This tool can help you use your cleaning kit to possibly reach hard to get areas...maybe.
- Sheath quality is right up there.
- Individual front post sight adjustment tool may be easier to use.

Cons:
- Individual front post sight adjustment tool may be easier to lose.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 05:30:05 PM
Multitasker Tube.

You can't hae a weapon centric mulit-tool roundup without talking about Multitasker. Multitasker is one of those companies that certain do not believe in resting on their laurels. For instance, there was a Series, 1, 2a, 2b, and now 3 version of their plier based Multitasker. They came out with the Tube, and Ultralight, and have in the past few years, teamed up with Emerson. Unfortunately, i do not have anything past the Series 2 Mulltitasker. I do however have quite a lot of Multitasker's history in a drawer as I do have quite a lot of their prototypes.

I understand after looking up Multitasker, that they no longer produce the Tube, or the Ultralite...but those tools still have a viable place in this thread.

The Tube is a neat minimalist AR focused tool that looks somewhat like a big fat pen. It even has the pocket clip to ram that image home. It came mostly in black, but there were a few rarer desert tan coloured ones out there.

Included with the Tube was a removable 4 pin front sight adjustment tool, a dental pick and bent tipped carbon scrapper. Both the pick and scrapper screwed onto a male 8/32" threaded socket. This means of course you could attack a snake to the Tube and use it as part of your cleaning regiment with various OTIS and compatible cleaning kits.

Both ends of the Tube screw apart. Each part has a rubber O ring to keep out water. Here you see the 4 prong sight adjustment tool held into the driver socket via a magnet, and the dental pick screwed onto the 8/32" threaded post, with the bent tipped scrapper apart from the tool. The scrapper or pick is easily stored inside the Tube when not needed.

There was also an accessory semi-hard case that could be purchased that came along with a set of extra driver bits.

Summary:

Pro:
- Compact, and very well made.
- A lot of functionality in a small package.
- Designed to work with an OTIS cleaning system.

Cons:
- Several small pieces that can be lost.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 05:46:36 PM
Multitasker Ultralight.

The Multitasker Ultralight is a sweet designed tool, and is, I think, the precursor to the Emerson/Multitasker collaborations. The idea was to take the plier based Multitasker, and remove the pliers to make something more portable. I personally really like this tool. I did a look and noticed that this tool is no longer in production and thus was discontinued around 2012. I suppose there was no reason to compete with their collaborative Emerson efforts.

My Assistants were busy helping with the photo shoot. Wait, it needs a little straightening.

You can now take the photo boss.

This is the desert Tan version of the Ultralight.

Do you think this is the best angle Annie?

Guess it is.

Just setting it up for you boss.

Thanks Gracy.

The Ultralight had plenty of attention to details. For instance, there is a complexity to the locking mechanisms. One end of the tool features liner locks, included one side with a neat finger saddle to aid in unlocking the dental pick.

The other end features a pair of lock backs,

The Ultralight offers you a lanyard loop, or a built in pocket clip.

Here is the more common black version with the Multitasker logo.

You could also buy a sheath with the tool. Might I add, the Multitasker sheaths are also of high quality. Speaking about quality, Multitasker tools are very high precision tools with billeted parts, bronze washers between tools, and plenty of attention to details.

Summary:

Pro:
- If you don't need pliers, this is a great little AR tool.
- High Quality, like all Multitasker products.
- Designed to work with an OTIS or similar cleaning kit.
- 4 prong sight tool is removable, doubling up as a 1/4" driver.

Cons:
I can't seriously think of any, other than possibly losing the removable sight tool...but at least the magnet is strong...so this won't come off without some help.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 06:38:26 PM
Multitasker Series 1.

As I have said before, Multitasker AR tools are all high quality, with CNC Billet machining, bronze washers, and quality attention to details. These are tools that show that made in China doens't always mean cheap. With that out of the way, I would like to introduce a now discontinued tool aimed squarely at the AR folks.

The Series 1 Multitasker came with a very interesting sheath. It had a front access zippered pocket and two chambers on the inside, one for the included bit set, and the other for the Multitasker.

The Series 1 Multitasker came with a double sided bit carrier in black rubber, with the bits poking from both ends. Here you see the front bit pouch with carrier, and the Multitasker in the back larger chamber of the sheath.

Here we see the pliers in all their glory. The precision is such that you could use the tip as a hair plucker.

The Series 1 did not feature a removable 4 prong front site adjustment tool. It did double as a 1/4" driver however, as you can slide the bits in the center of the sight adjustment tool. Included are various carbon scrapers, 2 prong spanner wrench for castle nuts on M4 stocks, File with screwdriver tip, 3/8" box wrench for LaRue mounts, and a tanto knife blade.

A closeup of the Series 1 Multitasker jaw pivot point.

Summary:

Pro:
- High build quality throughout.
- Very effective tool set for the AR folks.
- The sheath has a zippered front pocket which I like very much.
- 8/32" male thread will work with OTIS and like bore snakes and attachments.

Cons:
- If you damage one of the front sight adjustment tool prongs, you can't replace it as it is non removable.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 06:48:02 PM
Nice ones. Maybe I have to get one of those Real Avid Gun Tool Pro too, love how they look...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%