Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weapons centric multi-tools.

Chako · 65 · 9984

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Weapons centric multi-tools.
Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 06:48:14 PM
Multitasker Series 2.0/2.1.

Just to show you that Multitasker is constantly seeking to improve their product line, they came out with two series 2 models differing in how the pliers pivot works. I tend to call them Series 2.0 and Series 2.1.

Here is a Series 2.0. Note that the front adjustment sight tool is now removable and held by a nice strong magnet. This differs it from the Series 1. Likewise, the sheath and bit driver carrier have now changed as well.

It is easy to identify a Series 2 from the Series 1 by looking at the pliers pivot point.

Here is a Series 2.1. Note that the pivot point now has characteristic holes. I do believe ball bearings were added to smooth out the pliers action.

Here are the changes to the sheath and bit driver carrier for the Series 2 Multitasker.

One major difference, the bit carrier is not carried behind the Multitasker and resides in its own pouch.

Summary:

Pro:
- High build quality throughout.
- Very effective tool set for the AR folks.
- 8/32" male thread will work with OTIS and like bore snakes and attachments.
- Improved sheath and bit carrier over the Series 1.

Cons:
- Non that I can tell.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 06:57:54 PM
Summary:

Pro:
- High build quality throughout.
- Very effective tool set for the AR folks.
- 8/32" male thread will work with OTIS and like bore snakes and attachments.
- Improved sheath and bit carrier over the Series 1.

Cons:
- Non that I can tell.
I seem to recall reading that they are quite heavy, is that right?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 07:06:56 PM
Yes they are, but I do not view that as a negative.

Caspian Arms Pocket Smith II.

I do not have the first version, or the third (which looks exactly like a Multitasker, but I do have the second version that features aluminum scales. This odd looking multi-tools clearly has design influences from Multitasker, and I am sure they had a big hand in designing/producing this tool for Caspian Arms Ltd. this tool is designed to aid in the field stripping and maintenance of the popular 1911 handgun.

The most distinctive feature are the pliers, which are barell bushing wrenches.

A closer look at the pivot point.

What makes the Pocketsmith series unique is that they are designed for the 1911 pistol. They do not feature locking tools, and the tools one one side of the handles are just metal wrapped around a rod, much like you see with some hex key tools out there.

Summary:

Pro:
- Excellent quality throughout.
- Unique barell bushing wrenches that will help in the disassemble/assembly of a 1911 handgun.

Cons:
- No locking tools.
- Hex and pin punch tools have to positive stop.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 07:34:58 PM
Bear & Son Sportsman Bird Shears + Remington Birder + Remington Wingmaster.

I am adding these 3 tools together because I feel they sort of belong to each other. Here is the story.

Bear & Son are an American producer of knives and multi-tools. Their multi-tools tend to be heavy polished stainless steel things of beauty and excellent construction. I may be biased in that description, as I do love their models. Mind you , I am a sucker for heavy well made bricks. The Remington Birder is a copy of the Bear & Son Bird Shears. The Remington Wingmaster is a model that is unrelated and came much later, but bears the Remington name. The Wingmaster is still available, as I have seen it in Remington's catalogue at the local gun shop.

Therefore, we have a well made piece of american multi-tool manufacturing, a cheaper but not badly made copy made in China, and the newer lesser quality Wingmaster also made in China.

I do mean the quality of the Remington Birder is not that bad. They sure did copy the American made Bird shears closely.

Here we have the Bear & Son Bird Shear on top, and the Remington Birder on the bottom. I do not know what this model is called, so I have adopted the name Birder to differentiate it from the Wingmaster (yes, that is what Remington calls the other model)

If we look at the Bear & Son Bird Shears, we can see that it is built upon the 4 1/2" long Super Bear Jaws platform. The shears run the length of the body, thus fully opened, it has some reach. Included with the Bird Shears are a half serrated knife blade, a wood saw, a gut hook, and a small flat screwdriver. The shears are front and center.

Time to look at the Remingting Birder that is based upon the Bear & son Bird Shear above. Note that the small flat driver was replaced for a choke wrench for only 12 and 20 gauge shotguns. They even managed to copy the same shear locking mechanism. One big difference in the shears is the inclusion of a bond notch, which aids in lopping of bird wings, etc.

Opened up, these two tools could be kissing cousins.

The similarities do not end there.

Now time to look at the odd duck out, the Remington Wingmaster. One can think of this as the successor to the Remington Birder that preceded it.

I have a very similar tool that looks exactly like this, but with standard multi-tool bits. It isn't a Remington however, thus you can easily conclude these are made in China to the specifications of their clients. The Wingmaster features the same tool set as the Birder, but only shorter as the mulit-tool is much smaller. The shears also include the bone notch of its predecessor. The Wingmaster also features a small white LED lamp in one of the handles run by two small CR2013 batteries. The Lamp button is that round rubber button on the handle.

Just how much smaller is the Wingmaster to the Birder you may ask?

And both of them opened.

Summary:

Bear & Son Bird Shears.

Pro:
- Has that nice Bear & Son construction and feel.
- Shears are a good size. Large and in command you can say.

Cons:
- Lack of a choke tube wrench.
- Lack of a bone notch.

Remington Birder.

Pro:
- A not bad copy of the Bear & Son.
- Quality higher than newer Wingmaster.
- Inclusion of a choke tube wrench and bone notch.

Cons:
- Quality lower than Bear & Son product.

Remington Wingmaster.

Pro:
- Includes a small LED lamp in the handles.
- Same toolset as the more interesting Remington Birder.

Cons:
- Size is lacking where it counts, but wider where it is least wanted.
- Cheaper construction.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 09:01:58 PM
Beretta Shotgun Tool.

The Beretta shotgun tool is a bit unique in the design department in that its main function is that of a hammer. The sheath is rather well done with the Beretta design on the flap.

Opening the sheath, you can see that there is a side pouch with a rather professional and full sized pin punch. The Beretta Shot gun Tool doesn't pull any punches here.

Yes, that is a very nice pin punch, and with that hammer, I bet you can probably encourage any pin with the gentleness it requires.

You can tell it is from Beretta.

This multi-tool turns into a full sized hammer.

The Beretta Shotgun Tool offers 11 tools for the care and maintenance of your Beretta shotgun. Gunsmith-designed.

·Optima, mobil & victory enhanced choke tool
·Hammer head
·Sheep's foot blade
·2mm punch pin
·Nylon belt sheath
·28-.410 chocke wrench
·12-20 gauge choke wrench
·#2 phillips screwdriver
·Small Pliers
·Flat screwdriver
·Fine File

Summary:

Pro:
- Unique hammer based tool.
- Designed for the folks who like to fiddle with their tools.
- Well finished quality piece of kit.

Cons:
- No 8/32" threading for attachments.
- No locking tools.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 09:15:54 PM
NcStAR Ar-15 Combo Tool.

Meet the brick of the Weapons focused mulit-tool world. The NcSTAR AR-15 Combo Tool isn't pretty, but it does the job.

Here is a photo of the box.

The inside sheath is rather nice, with a side pocket and Velcro flap.

The sheath has a metal belt loop on the back. The side pocket holds a metal wire bore snake in a plastic storage carrier. The AR-15 Combo Tool is located in the main pouch of the sheath.

The tool is of a clam-shell design.

The main tool is a Castle nut wrench for M4 stocks.

With other tools found on both inside covers of the multi-tool.

This tool has the following features:

• M4 Collapsable Stock Castle Nut wrench, A1 and A2 Front Sight Adjustment Tool, A1 Rear Sight Adjustment Tool
• Flat Blade Screw Driver, Lower Receiver Push Pin Tool, Small Drift Pin for Bolt Carrier Cotter Pin
• Bolt Carrier Carbon Scrapper, .223/5.56 Bore Brush, Plastic covered steel Bore Brush Pull Cable
• Broken Shell Extractor

Summary:

Pro:
- Some unique functions you don't see on other multi-tools geared towards the AR platform.
- Sheath is rather nice, and included bore snake is a plus.

Cons:
- Fit and finish a bit lacking. This is a crude tool compared to most others.
- 4 and 5 prong adjustment wrenches are attached...so if you break them, that is it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 09:34:14 PM
Leatherman MUT.

The Leatheman MUT or Military Utility Tool is based on the Skeletool platform. Howerver, where the Skeletool is a medium sized multi-tool, the MUT is big.

The Leatherman MUT comes in a rather nice sheath.

Opening the Velcro flap, you will notice a small front compartment designed to hold the separate scope adjustment wrench. The MUT fits in the large back compartment. There are also side elastics that could possibly hold a flashlight or some other device.

You can clearly see how the MUT looks like a giant Skeletool in shape and design. It even included a pocket clip on one side.

Included are a half serrated blade, a saw, a removable pin punch, and a carbon scraper. Those comprise your fold out tools. Also included is a very ingenious storage solution for longer than average Lelatherman flat style double ended driver bits of which you get 2, and a smaller double ended bit. On top of that, you get a carabiner which doubles as a bottle opener, a hammer on one end along wtih a V notch cutter.

Here is a closeup of the 8/32" threaded male post with the female threaded pin punch.

Here you an see the V notch cutter. When closed, the bit that is installed into the screwdriver dock, acts as a blade protector. You can also see the hammer end, and the carabiner.

Here are the bits included with the MUT.

the ingenious bit storage comprises of an plug which you can push from both ends. Center it to block both bits from escaping. Push down to access whichever bit you want.

The pliers feature replaceable carbon steel cutters.

Press down on this piece to unlock the bit from the driver dock.

the MUT comes in 3 flavours. Top is the MUT EOD with included C4 spike. The middle is the MUT BO, and the standard MUT stainless.

the C4 spike on the MUT EOD is replaceable.

There is a very subtle difference from a MUT BO and the MUT EOD. The plastic carrier for the push pin and the C4 spike are different. Otherwise, you could easily attach whichever you want as the threading is the same for both tools.

Summary:

Pro:
- 8/32 male threads and also a pair of female threads on the pliers makes this a nice tool to work with OTIS and other cleaning gun kits.
- Looks like a giant Skeletool.
- Extra long driver bits give you that extra reach.
- Quality sheath and tool.
- V cutter/hammer/carabiner/bottle opener makes that end of the tool feature packed.

Cons:
- The tool verges on complexity.
- Sometimes, the longer bits are difficult to extricate from the tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 09:41:47 PM
Leatherman Super Tool 300 EOD.

The Leatherman Super Tool 300 EOD is an all black oxide model that features a C4 spike. To accommodate the C4 spike, they had to cut away part of the handle, making the EOD and a regular Super Tool 300 easily identifiable from each other.

Another difference between the Super Tool 300 EOD and a Super Tool 300, the EOD also features a removable saw blade. Of course, it wouldn't be a good EOD tool if it didn't also feature a blasting cap crimper on the pliers.

the C4 spike is replaceable, and is threaded much like that of the MUT. This you can incorporate 8/32" accessories to it if you needed to, providing they are female threaded, as the tool features a male threaded post. I think of the Super Tool 300 EOD as Leathermans version of the older Gerber MP 600 DET.

Summary:

Pro:
- Leatherman quality.
- Pliers feature removable carbon cutters.
- C4 spike is removable and allows for 8/32" female threaded accessories.

Cons:
- I can't think of one.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 09:48:19 PM
Leatherman Rail.

Leatherman has come out with a lot of different one piece pocket tools. With the plethora of sports aimed tools, Leatherman also came out with a series of 3 tools geared towards the shooting crowd.

The Rail is designed to maintain the AR weapon platform.

Included with the Rail are 2 medium lenght double ended diver bits, and a pin punch.

The Rail also features the following functions:

Front Sight Adjustment Tool
Replaceable Firearm Disassembly Punch
Carabiner Tool
Oxygen Tank Wrench
1/4” Hex Bit Driver
3/8" Open End Wrench

Summary:

Pro:
- Small and lightweight.
- Feature packed for its size.

Cons:
- The tool is somewhat small and hard to grasp.
- Bits are sometimes difficult to remove from their rubber carrier.
- Pin punch is hard to hold, and it doesn't attach to the Rail pocket multi-tool.
- No 8/32" threading for OTIS accessories.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 09:52:33 PM
Leatherman Pump.

The Leatherman Pump is aimed at the shotgun user.

Included are two medium lenght driver bits and a pin punch...all held by a rubber carrier.

The pump features the following functions:

Gut Hook
Choke Tube Wrench
Replaceable Firearm Disassembly Punch
1/4” Hex Bit Driver
1/4" Box Wrench
3/8" Box Wrench
Scope Adjustment Tool
8mm Box Wrench

Summary:

Pro:
- Love that gut hook.
- Choke tube wrench has a nice universal design that is different from the stepped design seen on many other such tools.

Cons:
- Pin punch is hard to hold, and it doesn't attach to the Rail pocket multi-tool.
- No 8/32" threading for OTIS accessories.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 09:58:02 PM
Leatherman Cam.

The cam's design is focused on the archer.

Included with the tool are 4 double ended driver bits and a broadhead sharpener.

The Cam also features the following function.

Gut Hook
Carabiner Tool
1/4” Hex Bit Driver
Broadhead Wrench

Summary:

Pro:
- Once again, love that gut hook.
- Light and feature packed for its size.

Cons:
- Broadhead sharpener is probably the worst designed such tool I have seen. Be very careful with the blades if you decide to use this as a sharpener.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: January 16, 2015, 10:00:37 PM
That concludes my collection of weapon centric multi-tools. I hope that you guys enjoyed it as much as I did in creating it.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 01:09:54 PM
Unknown bow tool with bow square.

I found this one online, and what drew me to this tool was the folding bow square that came with it. It certainly wasn't the multi-tool itself, as this is decidedly on the cheaper end of generic tools of its ilk.

The multi-tool does have spring loaded jaws, a set of small hex wrench, and a somewhat small PE and serrated knives, a small Phillips driver, and combo bottle opener/flat screwdriver.

The pliers do have the capability of setting nocks, which of course is where the bow square comes in.

Summary:

Pro:
- The folding bow square is included.

Cons:
- Cheap as dirt build and construction of the multi-tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 01:19:49 PM
SOG Powerlock EOD 2.0.

I had forgotten I had this tool. A regular Powerlock with the addition of a C4 spike. Not as good as other EOD efforts by other companies, especially when viewed from the standpoint that no fuse cap crimper is included as a function of the pliers.

A closer look at the C4 spike.

Compound leverage pliers are a SOG specialty.

Yes, being an older version, it has piano hinge locking levers.

Summary:

Pro:
- SOG compound leverage pliers.
- Good quality throughout.

Cons:
- Piano hinge locking levers are a pain to use. They replaced these on the newer versions with a single larger lever.
- No Cap crimper functionality as seen on the Gerber and Leathermans.
- No 8/32 threading to mesh with cleaning kits.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: January 17, 2015, 01:30:28 PM
Outdoor Edge Sportsman's Multi-tool.

This is a multi-tool from a company called Outddor Edge. They also produce a Trekker tool for hikers. This is their Sportsman model.

The sheath is of average quality. Nothing fantastic, but very serviceable and should last for a while.

Once you open the sheath, you will come across two sections, the first holds the extensive driver bit kit in its plastic carrier, and the tool itself in the posterior larger compartment.

One of my photography assistants was at hand to help in the photo shoot.

And the finished product shot.

The Sportsman model is another archery focused multi-tool as it features a nock set plier function as well as a broadhead wrench.

The pliers are of interest as they are not needle nosed.

Summary:

Pro:
- Heavy and well built.
- Offers the archer a few nice specific features.
- The best designed awl in my opinion.
- Nice V notch cutter.

Cons:
- Fit and finish not the best in class.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: January 17, 2015, 01:31:09 PM
Ok, now I think that might be it...unless I come across any others in my searches.  :facepalm:  :rofl:  :D

Offline b00mhower

Reply #46 on: January 18, 2015, 04:21:18 AM
Really wish that Gerber adjustable hammer oriented mt wasn't a bow tool. That would be pretty handy

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: January 18, 2015, 07:40:03 AM
Are you talking about the Gerber Myth Archery Tool? There is no hammer function on that one.  :think:

Offline b00mhower

Reply #48 on: January 18, 2015, 04:03:24 PM
Are you talking about the Gerber Myth Archery Tool? There is no hammer function on that one.  :think:
Adjustable hammer=Adjustable wrench lol I forgot y'all aren't stuck in my shop with me all day oops

Using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: January 18, 2015, 04:37:09 PM
Got it. Yeah, The back spined located broadhead wrench could easily be ignored, if all the other tools are useful.

Offline b00mhower

Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 08:51:02 PM
Got it. Yeah, The back spined located broadhead wrench could easily be ignored, if all the other tools are useful.
I wouldn't really have a use for all the hex keys, if they swapped a few of those for other common implements I would be on board

Using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: January 18, 2015, 09:49:26 PM
I hear you. It would make a neat little EDC.

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #52 on: January 19, 2015, 06:16:48 PM
Another great post Chako!! I also have the OTIS with the BO Gerber. Great stuff!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 12:37:38 AM
 :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 04:22:09 AM
Smith and Wesson Universal Armorer Tool.

Here is something a little different, and a tool I just received today. Before we begin, Smith and Wesson tools are made by Taylor Brand LLC. I tend to not have high expectations when it comes to Taylor Brand products, but I guess in this instance, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Mind you, it is a rather simple tool to begin with.

The S&W Universal Armorer Tool is basically a very large pen like tool in which both ends unscrew, revealing a set of pin and punches required to work on a variety of weapons. The design eerily looks like a beefed up Multitasker Tube, which I can easily speculate might be the inspiration for this tool.

Apparently, there are two models out there. One is geared towards military and police folks, and features duplicate tools. That one is called model SWMPGT1. That tool has the following tools in duplicates:

1/16" Allen Wrench
1/8" Roll Tip Punch Pin
1/16" Flat Tip Punch Pin
M&P Slave Pin
1/16" Brass Flat Tip Punch Pin

The Universal Armorer Tool carries the model designation SWUAT1, and has the following tools:

1/16" Allen Wrench
1/16" Roll Tip Punch Pin
1/8" Roll Tip Punch Pin
1/16" Flat Tip Punch Pin
1/8" Flat Tip Punch Pin
MS&W Slave Pin
1/8" Solid Punch Pin
1/8" Brass Flat Tip Punch Pin
1/8" Brass Roll Tip Punch Pin
1/32" Cut Tip Punch Pin
1/16" Cut Tip Punch Pin
1/8" Cut Tip Punch Pin

I went with the Universal one because I like variety.

The box looks like standard S&W gear.

One end of which carries the model number.

Once opened, there is no doubt that this is a Taylor Brands LLC product.

The MOLLE compliant sheath isn't all that bad. It features the S&W logo on the front flap.

Opening up the sheath, you are greeted with one fat pen looking tool, in a single compartment. The Velcro closure is on a big elastic. Not sure why, but I guess you could probably hand something there, like say, a small hammer, and still be able to close the flap. 

And this is the tool.

Both ends unscrew around a center piece. On each end of that center piece is a round rubber piece with holes for the various tools.

Taylor Brands LLC sure loves the S&W logo.

On the tapered end of the tool, is a hole with a magnet at its base. The various punches and pins slide into the hole and are held in place via that magnet.

A close up of some of the tools.

And a look at both ends.

Summary:

Pro:
- A good assortment of pins and punches.
- Everything is self contained.
- Not bad construction in the aluminum body and threaded areas.
- Inclusion of a pocket clip or belt sheath.

Cons:
- Magnet could be stronger. Some of the pins and punches appear to be not very magnetic to begin with (the gold toned ones).
- Multi-tool dedicated at dis-assembly and assembly of firearms.
- Needs other tools to properly use this tool, such as a small mallet.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:31:15 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: January 23, 2015, 12:45:07 PM
Comes in, looks around, wipes the dust off, exits.  :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: January 23, 2015, 01:44:37 PM
I'm here :salute:

Can you say something about Multitasker Series 1 - 2.1?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: January 23, 2015, 01:46:56 PM
Also, and this is just an idea...

Could you post a gargantuamly sized pictures of those tools ordered by Size, maybe with a Wave inbetween. You know, something like this:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: January 25, 2015, 07:05:11 AM
Now that would be some time consuming work.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: January 25, 2015, 10:01:36 AM
:angel:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%